Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Groucho Marxist posted:

It was revealed a few days ago that a 30 for 30 on the Von Erich family is being worked on with a January 2014 ETA. It's going to be the most depressing one yet!
That name sounds familiar to me, but I can't put any faces to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

Yeah I read that but they fed him softballs and downplayed the whole wifebeating thing
Did they ask him about the time he tried to change his name to Jeff Stone and other living Jeff Stones actually wrote into the court pleading with the judge or whoever oversees name changes to not let him change his because he would bring shame to the Jeff Stones of the world?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

soggybagel posted:

Really kind of shocking that they used to use pens for fan control. Terrible idea.
Some stadiums in other countries still use the old-fashioned ones, and they put barbed wire over the top of the fencing. There was a stadium in Africa just a few years ago that had a similar setup and a crush of people happened and yeah you can imagine what happened...

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

soggybagel posted:

Yeah I was going to comment on that as well. When you see crazy loving poo poo go on in stadiums now they're usually in Africa or South America and they still have huge fence barriers.
The Azteca used to have a loving moat around the field.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Of course Bill Laimbeer would wear a fedora.

Of loving course

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jalen Rose needs his own talk show where he can do crazy Jalen Rose things.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

Also, I watched the Bad Boys and it was well done, but there was no way in hell that anyone could ever get me to sympathize with Bill Laimbeer and my favorite parts of that movie were any time something bad happened to Bill Laimbeer such as him losing games or getting punched in the face.
Also Kid Rock narrating :wtc:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dancing Peasant posted:

New 30 for 30 (The Day The Series Stopped) is up.
It's re-airing right now on ESPN 2. I'm glad I watched this because I totally forgot that there was a stadium worker at the top of the light banks untangling stuff when the earthquake hit.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Hand Row posted:

Plus he has had a relationship with Simmons for a long time.
I don't like this mental image...

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I totally forgot that the Soviets beat the U.S. 10-3 right before the start of the Olympics. The highlights from that game :stare:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

"What did you think when the Soviets pulled Tretiak?"

"I am a figure skating coach."

:laugh:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Were you in Lake Placid for the Olympics?"

"I won the Gold Medal!"

Oops.
The questions for that woman have not been all that great.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

An important thing I just learned: apparently Soviet hockey training involved throwing shoulder checks into trees.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Well of course Gary Bettman would try to tell Fetisov that he couldn't take the Stanley Cup to Moscow because "criminals".

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Improvisational dancing on skates, too!
I particularly enjoyed the random somersault on the grass with the stick in his hands. I have a feeling the Red Army team would have been very good at hockey-themed Ninjitsu, should the need to use it have ever arisen.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

ESPN's airing a film on electronic football right now? :psyduck:

It's basically part of a series of shorts on eccentric sports fans. It's alright. Apparently that tabletop football still gets made because I saw it at Games by James in the Mall of America on Wednesday.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

I assume this one's titled Midwest.mov?

From what I can tell it's actually upstate New York. The reason why this group made it in is that they've been playing tabletop football together at the same place regularly since 1980.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

"Dad's really close to buying the Maple Leaf Gardens toilet and plunger set!" This show's actually okay.

EDIT: "I saw Ty Cobb's dentures and said 'I have to have them'"

EDIT: "This toilet is evocative of Maple Leafs history" :laffo:

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 2, 2015

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The best part was that the guy said it without any hint of irony. He was just referring to the people who presumably sat on it. He even referred to one player who was known to throw up into it before every home game.

However, as a visual metaphor it's much more effective.

In any event that was probably the hardest I laughed all weekend.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

EricHall posted:

Also, there is something so incredibly sad about the two guys that were, like, professional Duke haters.
I hate Duke as much as anybody here, but that Andy Bagwell guy or whatever his name was came across as an extraordinarily whiny rear end in a top hat. I'm going to take an incredibly wild shot in the dark and guess that he has no idea that that's what the nation at large's first impression of him will be.

And holy poo poo could I have done without seeing that cringeworthy Duke Sucks YouTube song. Otherwise I thought the show was fine. I had completely forgotten that Laettner went 10/10 from the field and 10/10 from the line in the Kentucky game :stare:

SpiritualDeath posted:

I wasn't even alive in 1992, but I sense the bit where they said "Kentucky wasn't supposed to be there and everyone was rooting for them" is bullshit. Confirm/deny?
I think it's more the fact that they shouldn't have been there in the sense that just a few years earlier the program had been hit with some pretty severe NCAA sanctions over things that had happened while Eddie Sutton was coaching them in the late 1980's. They shouldn't have been that good again that quickly.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 16, 2015

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

After watching that and seeing "The Stomp" again, it seems to be blown way out of proportion. He wasn't even close to stomping down with full force. It was a dick move but not one intended to injure. Jalen acting like he'd be thrown out of college basketball was kind of silly.
Well Jalen was also the one who referred to Grant Hill as an Uncle Tom in the Fab 5 documentary so he's pretty hyperbolic when it comes to those particular Duke teams.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

I really liked Catching Hell, think it was the first 30 for 30 I watch.
Watch The Two Escobars...like...immediately.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The one on the World Series earthquake is pretty good too, if for no other reason than that I had forgotten there was a stadium engineer working on the goddamn lights when the quake hit :stonk:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

mayodreams posted:

The Gospel According to Mac I knew nothing of the story and found it really interesting. B+
I thought this was going to be "Generic college coach turns around struggling program with strong Christian values" hour and then they got to Sal Aunese and :stare:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

It's whitewashed some by NASCAR, but his story alone is incredible. Cole Trickle from Days of Thunder was loosely based on him.
Which reminds me: I want a 30 For 30 on Dick Trickle.

just because

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dear ESPN,

Tell me the exact day this airs, and I will personally make sure that there isn't a single loving thing on my calendar.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

algebra testes posted:

Thats good, I watched I Hate Christian Laettener despite not knowing anything much about college basketball I enjoyed the entire thing.

As long as they know what's bullshit and not when it comes to the interviews.
Andy Bagwell (I think that's the name of the anti-Duke guy) single-handedly ruined that show. He came across like the whiniest rear end in a top hat I've ever seen.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

algebra testes posted:

I'm watching Catholics v Convicts and I can't work it out. Like, it's entertaining me, but something is bugging me about this fan film about the rich white kids who really enjoyed it when Reagan spoke at their school getting revenge on those wild people from the poor university that beat 'em up at a football game previously.
It's like I Hate Christian Laettner: you come away from watching really hating somebody, but it's not who the directors want you to be hating.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Make it college. Then once you're a pro nothing is out of bounds. NOTHING

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This is going to own so hard.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sky Shadowing posted:

You know, in hindsight it's obvious that the XFL was a terrible, terrible idea, but looking back I suppose someone had to think it was a good idea to actually do the XFL.

E: Costas just coming on and making GBS threads on it immediately.
It was NBC's belated "revenge" against the NFL for losing its football broadcasts. Just imagine the pitch:

WELL IT'S THE WWF AND IT'S FOOTBALL, AND PEOPLE WATCH BOTH SO YOU KNOW PEOPLE WILL WATCH THIS!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

There's a 30 for 30 about that too. I might be remembering this wrong but I think he was proud of winning the lawsuit for 3 dollars?
He also wrote an extremely angry letter to the guy who directed that particular 30 for 30 too.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

I feel like the XFL doc could have been much longer and done in multiple parts. So many stories they left out like the Honda debacle. How do we get James Andrew Miller to write an oral history on it?
I...don't remember the Honda debacle.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

i'll still argue that the a "new" league could have worked out in regards to what the XFL WANTED to be, but the problem is it wasn't "aggressive" in the manner that the AAFC, AFL and USFL were.

What I mean by that is finding owners, players and coaches that pro football had been deemed to be "crazy". They had some interesting ideas in regards to rules, the overall attitude of the league, and being on a channel that wanted to have pro football, but had been burned by the NFL.

They had one eccentric owner in Vince McMahon...they needed more. They needed guys like Mark Cuban, and such to own teams, go after high priced NFL FA's, Collegiate players, etc.

If you watch "FULL COLOR FOOTBALL" the "AFL" doc, you could see that there IS a route you can go to create a league to challenge the NFL. You just need a guy like Lamar Hunt, and a few others who are pissed at not being invited to the NFL's old boys club.
If there was an NBCSN to put games on back in 2001, the XFL could have worked. However, it constantly ran overtime on NBC itself, which pissed off both local news affiliates and the Saturday Night Live crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

Best is the one who basically drank a small country's GDP worth of alcohol on a regular basis right?
And also hosed more women than anyone not named Wilt Chamberlain.

• Locked thread