Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com
Last one was getting a bit long so it's time for a new one.

THNDRTHF posted:

THREAD RULES (to avoid "BEEF"):

1) Let's all assume anything that is posted in here is fair game to be rapped on by goons or goon-in-laws. If you have any beats you specifically are seeking MCs for state it in your post.

2) If you have a beat you REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want leaked, state it in your post. I would ask that people respect that, but if you REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want it leaked you're kind of an idiot for posting on the internet, or even storing it on a computer with internet access instead of on a zipdisk in a military ammunition case buried behind your apartment building.

3) This is sure to be a poo poo talking festival, so unless you know what you are talking about shut the gently caress up or just ask questions. Or talk poo poo and get the internet equivalent of a pimp slap.

4) Try to be constructive with your criticism, and back up your opinion with some kind of reason instead of just stating that someones drums sound like two dudes loving in a closet.

5) Give some info on how you made the beat (what program/hardware) so we can make fun of your lovely fruityloops masterbus chain.

It seems every so often we try to make a collaboration album, but they always fall by the wayside. So, as usual, I am always down to collaborate on some music with people from this thread (unless you blow) and there are numerous regulars on here that do the same.

With that, here is the link to one of my recent beats:

Made this with my MPD 26 & APC 20 using Ableton Live. I used the synth1 vst for some of the instruments. It's a simple and free vst that is well explained in this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2974992

I'll update the OP with similar links for the other regular artists in this thread if they so choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com
2nd post parking

Edit : Can one of the mods change the post icon to Hype!

Edit 2 : Or not

Jesus H Nyce fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 16, 2012

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I wanted to personally thank everyone who posted in the last thread besides Tik Tok who can eat a garbage bag full of dicks

big ups to jay nyce for holding it down like a mahfucka, lets make some goon rap biiiiitch

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Lurking Hogwild.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Jesus H Nyce posted:

With that, here is the link to one of my recent beats:

Made this with my MPD 26 & APC 20 using Ableton Live. I used the synth1 vst for some of the instruments. It's a simple and free vst that is well explained in this thread:

Drums sound good brah. Not a big fan of the guitar sound though, it sounds uhhhhh midified.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
:whatup: fellas

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

hello new thread

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

invision posted:

Drums sound good brah. Not a big fan of the guitar sound though, it sounds uhhhhh midified.

Thanks for the feedback, and you pegged it with the "midified". Anyone with recommendations with making them sound more realistic/grimey/rap words? And I need to edit how the strings drop in the second time as well.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Jesus H Nyce posted:

Thanks for the feedback, and you pegged it with the "midified". Anyone with recommendations with making them sound more realistic/grimey/rap words? And I need to edit how the strings drop in the second time as well.

Outside of using samples or just playing it yourself/getting a friend to play it on guitar, I haven't found/heard of a way to get convincing sounding guitar synths.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

Jesus H Nyce posted:

The guitar is playing power chords, right? One thing that might help is if you made it so that not all the notes in each chord started at the same time. That's one thing that stood out to me, is that the onset of all the guitar chords sounded exactly the same. If you were to edit what you have now, turn off the grid-snapping in Ableton, and move each note slightly (as in, a fraction of a 32nd note) to the left or right, it might make it sound more natural. When you strum a guitar, you don't hit all the notes at exactly the same time. You could also try something similar with the loudness of each note, vary them a bit (haven't tried that myself, though).

Your other options are:
- work with a real guitarist
- use a different virtual instrument that doesn't sound like a distorted guitar, but still has some sort of powerful, distorted sound. You could even try using a distorted organ timbre, like Deep Purple or Uriah Heep.
- find a better guitar synth, but this one might be as good as you'll get. It sounds pretty good aside from the uncanny machine-like precision

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Hammsturabi posted:

The guitar is playing power chords, right? One thing that might help is if you made it so that not all the notes in each chord started at the same time. That's one thing that stood out to me, is that the onset of all the guitar chords sounded exactly the same. If you were to edit what you have now, turn off the grid-snapping in Ableton, and move each note slightly (as in, a fraction of a 32nd note) to the left or right, it might make it sound more natural. When you strum a guitar, you don't hit all the notes at exactly the same time. You could also try something similar with the loudness of each note, vary them a bit (haven't tried that myself, though).

Your other options are:
- use a different virtual instrument that doesn't sound like a distorted guitar, but still has some sort of powerful, distorted sound. You could even try using a distorted organ timbre, like Deep Purple or Uriah Heep.
- find a better guitar synth, but this one might be as good as you'll get. It sounds pretty good aside from the uncanny machine-like precision

Here try this I cycled through a bunch of sounds https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55998/fluteguitar.mp3

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Maybe try running your synth through Guitar Rig? http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/guitar-rig-5-player/ is the free version, it's obviously stripped wayyyyy down but should be enough to get you sounding more like a guitar- just running it through a virtual amp/cab may well be enough.

Guitars sound weird without a natural sense of 'space', so maybe try a hint of room reverb too. I've managed to get some pretty decent tones outta the Live guitar multisamples by doing this.

As well as slightly staggering your notes for chords, try shifting their timing a little behind the beat and add in occasional extra little chords so they go 'DUH-DUH-DUHNNNNNNNNNNNN' instead of just 'DUHNNNNNNNNNN', it should give it a more natural feel and sound less midified. So you'd have your 'DUH's on beats 13 and 15 to lead into the main chord starting on beat 1 of the next bar.

I really dig the sound of this btw, in a weird way it almost sounds like Rammstein- those drums are proper thumpy!

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

phat drums in the pro click zone

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

massive spider posted:

Here try this I cycled through a bunch of sounds https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55998/fluteguitar.mp3

Hammsturabi posted:

Your other options are:

This is why I love these forums. Massive Spider, I'm probably going to use that in the next version of the track.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
try to drop some double time cello arcos a la requiem for a dream, you ardy know the progression, it would make the track have some tension, p badass tho

also on the hook flute maybe a touch of reverb/delay, drums remind me of the game not sure why

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!
WHAT IT IS WHORES

Finally a thread that isn't 39358 pages so I can get involved

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

Nermal. posted:

WHAT IT IS WHORES

Who are you and what the hell do you want with us?

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Nermal. posted:

WHAT IT IS WHORES

Get up, get into it and get involved.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Jesus H Nyce posted:

you have to "like" jesus to see the inspirational videos

http://www.facebook.com/WeWalkWithJesus?sk=app_396429093717663

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!

Jesus H Nyce posted:

I just got my first midi keyboard and I've been making really neat beats for like 3 months and I was looking for a place to post all of them. They're really good I'm totally a fast learner.

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

Nermal. posted:

I just got my first midi keyboard and I've been making really neat beats for like 3 months and I was looking for a place to post all of them. They're really good I'm totally a fast learner.

Jam

What software do you use?

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!

Jesus H Nyce posted:

Jam

What software do you use?

I hope you know I'm kidding. I've been around for a really long time.

I have been using hardware for literally a decade, and just started using Logic a few months ago. I really don't dig software yet. I also have Ableton, but don't even know where to start.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
whoknew- haven't forgotten about that beat you sent me. I've just been focusing full-time on that YLB COMING SOON.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Who Gotch Ya posted:

whoknew- haven't forgotten about that beat you sent me. I've just been focusing full-time on that YLB COMING SOON.

cool beans man you take your time.

Jay i will one day rap on that beat of yours i have.

whoknew fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 8, 2012

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

new thread beat drop to get this poo poo goin

http://soundcloud.com/doubl-e/storm-front/s-bZtK9

using this for a future track, do not bite or i might like bite you or sumn suck a dick shwag shwag *asap rocky voice*

EDIT: also if any rapper in this thread wants me to produce a track for them i'll probably do it as long as you aren't recording remixes of bird on a wire in your closet on your phone

whoknew fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 8, 2012

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

Nermal. posted:

I hope you know I'm kidding. I've been around for a really long time.

I have been using hardware for literally a decade, and just started using Logic a few months ago. I really don't dig software yet. I also have Ableton, but don't even know where to start.

Didn't recognize ya, my b.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

e: probably not HIP HOP but whatever, words could work with it and frankly i like your guys' input

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Blimpkin posted:

e: probably not HIP HOP but whatever, words could work with it and frankly i like your guys' input

sometimes I forget that pictures link to things and I got really confused for like 10 seconds

like "I dunno that looks p hip hop to me"

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

invision
Mar 2, 2009

you look a lot like my dad did in the 80's. I mean that in a neutral way. Also I'm really liking that boomp boomp chillwave bass.

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

How long has this vid been in the making? I remember seeing the pre-vid over a year ago

dr. blanky
Dec 26, 2007

i made this song without any intention of somebody ever rapping to it. this guy did and i think it turned out pretty drat cool! http://soundcloud.com/clathrategun/the-mechanical-oppression-of-1

so we did another song: http://soundcloud.com/clathrategun/acid

so now i'm practicing my hip hop skills and he's in denmark for some reason.

here is a track anybody may rap to if they want to do that with it http://soundcloud.com/clathrategun/hurt/s-q8dNw

i use ableton+ apc20 and an mpk mini. constructive criticism and tips much appreciated. keep in mind that i started out listening to hip hop through cLOUDDEAD and aesop so my conventions are not quite conventional. i would love to receive tips on attaining that anticon hip hop kind of sound.

dr. blanky fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 13, 2012

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
songs old filmed the vid sprg brk last yr

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I'm trying to make a beat and I keep listening to "Power" and "Dark Fantasy" from Kanye and kicking myself because nothing I do sounds like that.

It's obviously dumb to compare myself to those beats, but I've been trying to dick around with drums for this song for like 3 days. Just the drums. Nothing sounds right, or sounds enough like "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" to keep.

Ugh.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I'm just laying out drums until something sounds right to me while listening to much better artists in the background for motivation. Once I get the drums in, it's a lot easier, but getting the drums in is the hardest part for me.

Damnnit Kanye, stop being so good.

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

Griff M. posted:

I'm trying to make a beat and I keep listening to "Power" and "Dark Fantasy" from Kanye and kicking myself because nothing I do sounds like that.

It's obviously dumb to compare myself to those beats, but I've been trying to dick around with drums for this song for like 3 days. Just the drums. Nothing sounds right, or sounds enough like "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" to keep.

Ugh.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I'm just laying out drums until something sounds rieht to me while listening to much better artists in the background for motivation. Once I get the drums in, it's a lot easier, but getting the drums in is the hardest part for me.

Damnnit Kanye, stop being so good.

Though I'm all for finding inspiration in other's music, I think the method you are describing is very limiting. It appears you are trying to make a track how you imagine kanye would make a track, which unless you are his doppleganger in every way, you will never create what you are capable of. You are overlaying someone elses creative process onto your own, or you are not even creating your own process and just guessing what another's process is.

Basically, make a Griff drum track and not what Griff thinks a kanye drum track sounds like.

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012
well power was produced by s1 and dark fantasy was produced by no id and the rza so that might be why youre not sounding like kanye

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

uh... this video is 5/5

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
thanks man i didnt work very hard on it for a really long time so i appreciate that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

i like the video too. i am hoping to do one all the way out here in queens soon

• Locked thread