Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slothmonster
Sep 28, 2009

Mashed keyboard to write about a woman getting murdered rather than potatoes. WTF

THUNDERDOME
Some poo poo from yesterday, me on the vox my roommate on the beat grrrr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZMEz8P8fAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Freddie Gibbis posted:

http://soundcloud.com/satellite-high/moms-say-funky-the-satellite

i am making a few real ultra-sleazy instrumentals to put on a cassette tape called gently caress MUSIC

this is heavily inspired by the instrumental poo poo on the love movement

it is supposed to make you think about maybe fuckin some middle-aged white chick on a yacht

It totally needs some linn drum or dmx or something. I got really drunk last night and decided I really wanted to make either a g-funk or synth beat but I was really drunk and couldn't decide and didn't want to walk 10 feet to wear my muzik desk is so I just jerked off instead.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Also if you want to hear some random person rap over something of yours, where do you post? I always see dudes post on random statuses on facebook which just feels awkward. I did see some dudes work something out on one of the Raider Klan pages but I'm not sure if I want to stoop to that level. Maybe I should stoop to that level.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
so one of my producer homies dropped this a couple days ago:

BB's one of my favorite producers, and he's always trying new things and using weird old-rear end samples

My favorite tracks are Love of the Drums, Wonderful World, and The Night. The Night gets on some super weird-rear end poo poo, but that's prolly why I like it so much. Also, I can't really say why but I like Buy Me a Drink cuz it does this weird lounge-y thing, I dunno just check this poo poo out

EDIT: skip Remote Control (4). Seriously.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 5, 2012

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Also if you want to hear some random person rap over something of yours, where do you post? I always see dudes post on random statuses on facebook which just feels awkward. I did see some dudes work something out on one of the Raider Klan pages but I'm not sure if I want to stoop to that level. Maybe I should stoop to that level.

its good to know someone that's knows them for an introduction, but short of that try to hit them on twitter or fb or whatever and just make sure you have something to offer them ($$$)

not a lot of made artists want to do strangers favors and many of them are contractually prohibited from working outside of their label

if its a local/regional level artist approaching them at shows when they seem to have a minute is another acceptable move as long as you don't overstay your welcome or offend them / bug them with stan-ish behaviour

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006
http://soundcloud.com/angelure/histoiresansparolespt3

More HipHop-y and Rap-able than my last.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

(weird al is my spirit animal)

whoknew fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 6, 2012

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
is it just me or does DMC look like a ninja turtle with a tracksuit and dookie rope

he def got a lazy eye

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Behind Run's eyes lies the gentle soul of a preacher. And behind his shoulder lies a white dude

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
flying lotus :

http://instagr.am/p/QgSNjlQwqB/

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Also I meant like how do I find random people to rap over tracks. I ain't even looking for a famous person.

My coworker wanted to hear my poo poo but he's looking for beats that sound like "Meek Mill or A$AP Rocky" (I'm sure there's like at least 10 dudes making beats for each of those two) and I don't think I'm what he's looking for.

The Rubberbandit
Jan 14, 2008
Where's your condom now?!
Just to fill everyone in, your boy Ace Adams (of the Ace Adams EP) has been collabin' with newcomer Ronzo every week in their series 'Sunday Meds'.

a.k.a. Heres my friends rapping, I helped with production/mixing.

Heres the third installment:
http://soundcloud.com/knightsofthecrunktable/messiah-flow

And the rest can be found here:
http://soundcloud.com/knightsofthecrunktable

Its dope boom bap for all you backpackers and graduates.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

My opinion means nothing but I like this

The Rubberbandit
Jan 14, 2008
Of course your opinion means something, I couldn't tell you to who tho.

But really, thanks. Show your friends. Stay tuned for next weekend, Dopamine Knights weekend, at least three tracks will be dropped.

The Rubberbandit
Jan 14, 2008
Oh and check out this beat I made a bit ago

http://soundcloud.com/nate-manuel/woman

More to come soon

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I was inspired by a Biggie Smalls mash-up so I made this to rap over. It's only the first version and I'm not sure where to go from here. I also just finished it like 5 minutes ago, so I'm prolly too close to it.

Any suggestions? I'm a newbie and have no idea what I'm doing.

EDIT: It's my birthday, happy birthday to me.

Digi_Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 9, 2012

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
MrThf did you get that maglight zip I sendspace'd you?

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
realtalk i am all about hip hop but when i read people sayin poo poo like WE GOIN HARD IN THE 2012 but i know they're corny white kids irl it makes me wanna punch something

just needed to vent cuz one of my facebook friends is drivin me up the wall with his "ALL DAY ERRDAY YALL WE HOLDIN IT DOWN FOR SF YALL CHECK THE SWAG" blah blah nonsense cuz the dude works for zynga making interface elements for farmville or some poo poo

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
dorks go hard too. WE GOIN NERD IN 2012

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Cleaned it up a bit, redid the drum levels, and messed with the opening/added an ending.

I'm actually pretty pleased with it.

What do y'all think?

Digi_Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 9, 2012

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Shovelbearer posted:

MrThf did you get that maglight zip I sendspace'd you?

a month late, but yes

i was sure it was gonna be expired but i grabbed it finally, gimme a week or so, i don't have any free days/nights until Sunday I think

mthang0851
Sep 15, 2002

Diamonds Are Forever!
Just looking for critique new in the game but getting the hang of things, dont have too many ears around me to listen and give feedback ... Using strictly Reason 6.5 if it matters

http://snd.sc/ORcTKz

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Freddie Gibbis posted:

realtalk i am all about hip hop but when i read people sayin poo poo like WE GOIN HARD IN THE 2012 but i know they're corny white kids irl it makes me wanna punch something

just needed to vent cuz one of my facebook friends is drivin me up the wall with his "ALL DAY ERRDAY YALL WE HOLDIN IT DOWN FOR SF YALL CHECK THE SWAG" blah blah nonsense cuz the dude works for zynga making interface elements for farmville or some poo poo

i know what you mean. but thankfully it is a very visible and accurate criteria for douche filtration

E: also enjoying this lately, production is pretty cool http://weekendmoney.biz/

whoknew fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 9, 2012

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

MitchFM posted:

Just looking for critique new in the game but getting the hang of things, dont have too many ears around me to listen and give feedback ... Using strictly Reason 6.5 if it matters

Start over. The sample didn't contribute anything, I was expecting a different vibe from the beat because of it. The beat itself sounded like an intro for something like streets of rage 3. I would go for more complex melodies & instrumentation because it sounded like you were working with a sega.

That's just my 8 billion cents

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

MitchFM posted:

#1) please stop referring to music as "the game" that poo poo is played and dumb

#2) those blips in te drum pattern sound like a metronome and not in a good way

#3) Jesus Nyce is right on point, your sounds are way too 'cheesed-out' to support such a minimalist beat, you either need to really work on the sounds themselves or get a lot more involved in your arrangements and layering and stuff b/c this right now DOES sound like a sega game

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Griff M. posted:

Cleaned it up a bit, redid the drum levels, and messed with the opening/added an ending.

I'm actually pretty pleased with it.

What do y'all think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iboGTP5p7Rs

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Thanks! I think? :)

mthang0851
Sep 15, 2002

Diamonds Are Forever!
drat Sega? Least my poo poo 16bit but lol, good looking on feedback honestly i think the problem with the sound is Reason, I was playing with Kontakt 4 today and the sounds in there are much more liver, thinking about going the NI route or either SampleTank throw something else up here in the AM tho, thanks for feedback.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

MitchFM posted:

That vocal-sounding lead synth sounds kind of annoying to me, sorry. I guess there are some decent hip-hop beats that have a choir synth sound like that, but this one sounds too much like the general MIDI "choir ooh" sound. It made me think of 90s computer games as soon as I heard it. If that's what you're going for, then great, but I don't think people will dig it.

However, if you get rid of the annoying timbres (also the metronome beep someone else mentioned) and replace them with ones that make me wanna jump up and yell "swag", then you have a pretty funky beat there. I like the rhythm. Just keep practicing. If this is what you want to do, you'll get really good at it with practice.

Oh yea and the voice clip at the beginning adds nothing to it; however, you might be able to make a cool beat by incorporating this sample into it. You know, like "Do it to death D-Do it Do it to death...eath...eath"

Title: Born to do it (to death)

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

MitchFM posted:

drat Sega? Least my poo poo 16bit but lol, good looking on feedback honestly i think the problem with the sound is Reason, I was playing with Kontakt 4 today and the sounds in there are much more liver, thinking about going the NI route or either SampleTank throw something else up here in the AM tho, thanks for feedback.

Reason isn't my jam but people can get great sounds out of it. Kontakt or SampleTank is a better option if you want stuff that sounds more like real instruments, but if you want synthesizer sounds, Reason is a fine option. You just have to spend time learning to make it your bitch.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
MitchFM - i think a lot of the problem with your mix isn't the sounds themselves but the absolute dryness of it; your drums don't seem to be compressed at all and they sound real thin and weak and the whole mix sounds very 'small' and computerized; i know reason has some decent compressors and limiters in it so maybe just gently caress around with mixing as well as the arrangement n poo poo

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
plus she like the way i diddy-bop, you peep that?

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

Freddie Gibbis posted:

MitchFM - i think a lot of the problem with your mix isn't the sounds themselves but the absolute dryness of it; your drums don't seem to be compressed at all and they sound real thin and weak and the whole mix sounds very 'small' and computerized; i know reason has some decent compressors and limiters in it so maybe just gently caress around with mixing as well as the arrangement n poo poo

This.

I would also advise creating a return reverb track and throw your whole mix (minus kick+bass) in to help the sauce stick. It should help fix some of the dryness. Make another one to compress the whole mix but nothing too crazy (something like thre -5db, 2.5:1, attack 0,75, release 250). It should help it feels a little bigger.

Also remove quantizing and gently caress around with your drums so they have more feeling, play with the velocity, etc. I don't remember if you can do that with Reason, especially with Redrum, but in a worst case scenario you can just add some kinda groove between 15-25% so it feels a little more natural.

Add some distortion to your bass, and EQ the poo poo out of everything. Nothing really pops out of your mix and your mids are just saturated with bland noises. Boost bass/kicks at around 85hz-250 hz, your bleep thingy at like 4.5k and 12k.

Cock Soup fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 10, 2012

mthang0851
Sep 15, 2002

Diamonds Are Forever!
ii, Cool Cool Cool.

Once again thanks for all the feedback, I def know its in the mix and the sound selection I gotta learn how to use certain fx and stuff to bring certain elements out. As far as the drums I can def work on the groove in the sequencer. Ima play with it for a while and try to throw another version up. Sketching something else out right now just playing around.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
the steez is in the right place you just gotta get the sounds and the mix in the same headspace as your idea, it takes a while to be able to sit down and methodically create exactly what you envision

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.
Loved the Adele - Skyfall track so much I had to flip it. I already sent it to Satellite High, but let me know what y'all thinnnnnk

http://soundcloud.com/capn-cook/capn-cook-skyfalling

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
that post almost deserves a pause but ima let u slide thru on some underhand poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

THNDRTHF posted:

that post almost deserves a pause but ima let u slide thru on some underhand poo poo

dude, pauses. have you ever sat down and MADE a REAL pause TAPE? let me tell you: pretty easy when you sample the whole track once through.

• Locked thread