Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Dark Weasel posted:

Well, that's troubling, because you've got to put some thought into flow, but even if you've got it wrong at first blush it's nothing that can't be finessed. What kind of lyrics are we working with, here? What sort of production style are you aiming for? Bagpipes? "Scottish motif" could mean a lot of things, honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gvHLQajZvs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Essential Inks posted:

Is this an appropriate thread for finding a musician I can hire to take some lyrics I wrote and set them to music?
Since my technical music knowledge is limited and this is my first effort, it's only four stanzas and I didn't put much thought into flow. It's a booty rap with a Scottish motif.

I think I speak for everyone when I say, we'll need to see the lyrics to help you.

Essential Inks
May 10, 2013

by exmarx

Dark Weasel posted:

Well, that's troubling, because you've got to put some thought into flow, but even if you've got it wrong at first blush it's nothing that can't be finessed. What kind of lyrics are we working with, here? What sort of production style are you aiming for? Bagpipes? "Scottish motif" could mean a lot of things, honestly.

Aside from a few stereotypical Scots words, I was thinking of sampling some Jesus and Mary Chain and shooting a video that was predominantly women dancing in short tartan skirts.

RBC posted:

I think I speak for everyone when I say, we'll need to see the lyrics to help you.

I'm omitting the (two syllable)title for my own peace of mind.

Hey lad, listen up, nae it can’t wait
There’s a fly new step to save our state
It’s called <TITLE>, but it’s gotta stay hushed
It’s gotta be methodical and can’t be rushed
Now, don’t be a fool and Tweet that poo poo
If ye do, ye’ll lose yer chance to make a big hit!

Shake it, Lasses

(Chorus)
(female vocals) - (featured rapper)
<TITLE> - if ye ever get a chance
<TITLE> - hey, get out there and dance
<TITLE> - I can’t tell ye how to do it
<TITLE> - Come on, let’s get get to it

Do yer research and ken the terrain
Know when to bail if things get insane
Be subtle when ye’re close, play it cool and stay alive
Ask the DJ to show ye, how to work that 45
Wait until it’s dark, then open up - brrap brrap
Don’t just cut a rug - pop it off and make it flap!

(Chorus)

Imagination is the most important part
The steps to this dance need to come from the heart
Don’t say how ye’ll do it, just keep it to yerself
In the long term, it’s good for yer health
Go and <TITLE> before it’s too late
This is no time to equivocate!

(Chorus)

This ain’t a competition, that’s not how this goes
If ye see somebody dancing, just hang back and strike a pose
Play it by ear and head for high ground
If they can’t quite cut it, ye might get the rebound
We aren’t the Black Hand and it’s nae a sin
The more people try, the better chance we all win!

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

You've put a lot of thought into this, what's the occasion?

Essential Inks
May 10, 2013

by exmarx

Dark Weasel posted:

You've put a lot of thought into this, what's the occasion?

Political anxiety that was warped into barely-controlled aggression by prednisone.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's a potential rhythm in the lyrics but without knowing what <TITLE> is its hard to think of a beat that would fit.

Essential Inks
May 10, 2013

by exmarx

In Training posted:

There's a potential rhythm in the lyrics but without knowing what <TITLE> is its hard to think of a beat that would fit.

It's two single syllable words.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
what is the title

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
it's Kilt Tilt.

JCW
Oct 22, 2008
idk this isnt even hip hop anymore https://soundcloud.com/thejcw/kickindust1/s-iCqqb

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Hey so I've been dabbling with the hippity hop and the sampling and having a whale of a time and I was wondering if any of you fellas had any tips on 1) managing dipping volume in a sample (e.g. in the track I post below right at the start the third side stick hit is lower but if I boost the volume in an envelope I can't really get it to not sound weird as it loudens the other stuff, I'm not that bothered in this track specifically but it's something I run into a fair bit) and 2) how to extend a note a bit so it has a more natural tail, when the sample of the note has percussion immediately after it so you have to cut it somewhat early (e.g. the very last note in the track I posted), I've done some stuff with a tight ping pong delay and some verb but it's not quite right.

Here's the track, any and all feedback is welcome!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6564397/PirateRemix.09.10.16.b.mp3

edit: I use Ableton Live FWIW (and a push if that matters)

brian fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 9, 2016

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

HI PARTYBRIAN5000. I like your song.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

sleppy posted:

HI PARTYBRIAN5000. I like your song.

hi sleppy thankyou!!! do you do songs also???

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

No, I just like hanging around in here to get some variety. A few gaming goons have actually come out of the blue to surprise me as producers over the years. Sorry I can't help with your questions but I like what you're doing regardless!

brian
Sep 11, 2001

sleppy posted:

No, I just like hanging around in here to get some variety. A few gaming goons have actually come out of the blue to surprise me as producers over the years. Sorry I can't help with your questions but I like what you're doing regardless!

You should totes give it a shot if you're interested, there's so much stuff online for learning (esp on youtube) and chopping up samples onto pads you can press makes it really fun and easy to just jam and find stuff you like!

I haven't done much hip hoppy things (or really much that's ever finished) but here's other bits i've done in the same vein if you're interested!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6564397/jam.mp3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6564397/drumfun.mp3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6564397/IAintLyin.mp3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6564397/BJS%20-%20Someone%20Drum%20Up%20Something.mp3

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016

good track man!

i really don't know either

https://soundcloud.com/cosmicprank/leander

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
does anyone make rap anymore or nah

nas was right yo

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

brian posted:

reminds me of shadow / premiere / rjd2

im gonna rap on this ok

too bad im gonna rap on it

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

brian posted:

Hey so I've been dabbling with the hippity hop and the sampling and having a whale of a time and I was wondering if any of you fellas had any tips on 1) managing dipping volume in a sample (e.g. in the track I post below right at the start the third side stick hit is lower but if I boost the volume in an envelope I can't really get it to not sound weird as it loudens the other stuff, I'm not that bothered in this track specifically but it's something I run into a fair bit) and 2) how to extend a note a bit so it has a more natural tail, when the sample of the note has percussion immediately after it so you have to cut it somewhat early (e.g. the very last note in the track I posted), I've done some stuff with a tight ping pong delay and some verb but it's not quite right.

Here's the track, any and all feedback is welcome!

For the first part about volume dipping in a sample, I'll need a little info. Are you using Ableton's Simpler or just the raw audio? Is the sample you are using a loop with several percussion elements? One thing I have found when working with loops is that I will start with the audio first. If I like a articular hit (say the side-stick you mention), I will cut out just that hit from the audio to a separate track and then duplicate that single hit to wherever it needs to go. This can be done with straight audio or by throwing it into a Simpler. Then you can be sure its the same hit every time.

As far as extending a note so it has a more natural tail, try turning up the Release time on the Envelope. You can also automate this parameter so it only extends the release on that last note.

Bastastic
Jun 20, 2010

Hey guys, I've gotten some great feedback from friends on this beat already, but I'd appreciate some feedback from you too.
https://soundcloud.com/djbubongo/lilla-lapper-i-madrassen

JCW
Oct 22, 2008
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/18980-told-slant-the-jcw-moonlight-or-flashlight/

:P

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

THNDRTHF posted:

i quit at life but i cant afford to kill myself so here i am

+1

brian
Sep 11, 2001

MrSargent posted:

For the first part about volume dipping in a sample, I'll need a little info. Are you using Ableton's Simpler or just the raw audio? Is the sample you are using a loop with several percussion elements? One thing I have found when working with loops is that I will start with the audio first. If I like a articular hit (say the side-stick you mention), I will cut out just that hit from the audio to a separate track and then duplicate that single hit to wherever it needs to go. This can be done with straight audio or by throwing it into a Simpler. Then you can be sure its the same hit every time.

As far as extending a note so it has a more natural tail, try turning up the Release time on the Envelope. You can also automate this parameter so it only extends the release on that last note.

Hey sorry didn't see this until now months later, it was just using the raw audio with warp markers, but that's definitely a good idea to use simpler more often and extract the specific part, it was more that it was like mixed with a lot of background sound so getting a clear cut of it was hard and I couldn't really eq out much of the noise, but given that the same noise will be mostly there in the place where i'd overdub it, it's probably not as big of a deal as I thought. The thing about natural tails and simpler envelopes is dynamite too, thanks!

THNDRTHF posted:

reminds me of shadow / premiere / rjd2

im gonna rap on this ok

too bad im gonna rap on it

Don't know if you ever did that but if you did that sounds rad send it over!

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

I'm not really counting on anyone rapping over this even though I did a cheesy producer name drop thing at the beginning. Everything is played from MPC1000, recorded onto a cassette multitracker, then played with a normal cassette walkman into my computer because I sold the multitracker in the mean time lol. Then i crunched it up even more in Ableton, trying to get it to sound like an elephant dying in a dumpster.
https://soundcloud.com/ratsreebok/oiseau-mort

This is also a hip hop beat but a lot cleaner. Totally different vibe. Also via MPC but no cassettes this time.
https://soundcloud.com/ratsreebok/millionaire

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Made a new beat thing from me and a couple of friends doing the rhythm roulette thing and blind buying cheap records, it's such a fun thing to do and some of the samples you end up with are great

https://soundcloud.com/partybrian5000/nice-eyes

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

brian posted:

Made a new beat thing from me and a couple of friends doing the rhythm roulette thing and blind buying cheap records, it's such a fun thing to do and some of the samples you end up with are great

This is actually pretty cool dude. I love playing beat roulette with a couple buddies but I never thought of adding sampling records into the mix, that's a perfect idea.

Does anyone have any recommendations of resources for someone who wants to learn more about hip-hop production?

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

brian posted:

Yeah really like this. Well done.

MrSargent posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations of resources for someone who wants to learn more about hip-hop production?

What programs and/ or hardware are you interested in or already using?

I originally wrote a dumb post about my own personal experience but it doesn't really answer your question.

Basically, listen to Hip Hop and learn how to use a sampler or daw.

illBilliam fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 25, 2017

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

illBilliam posted:

Yeah really like this. Well done.

What programs and/ or hardware are you interested in or already using?

I originally wrote a dumb post about my own personal experience but it doesn't really answer your question.

Basically, listen to Hip Hop and learn how to use a sampler or daw.

Oh yah I mean I have been teaching myself Ableton and various plugins for a few years now but focused mostly on house music. I know how to make a fat 808 and some fast hi-hats but I guess I should have been more specific. It would be helpful to see the workflow of a hip hop producer to see the common elements and approaches.

I have also been a hip hop binge lately between buying records and purchasing albums on iTunes. My biggest problem is getting the sub right.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks for the nice feedback!

So MrSargent I use Ableton for everything, I can't really remember what videos I watched and whatnot but there's plenty on youtube on how to use warp markers and slicing and so on for manipulating samples, it's all pretty easy to do, you generally just want to take a bit you like and make it loopable, I tend to use the Complex mode of the warp functionality as it handles changing tempo really well (the refrain in that track for example is a half speed slowdown entirely done through ableton/warping).

As far as general hip hop production stuff I'm no expert but I've found the most important thing is to build some drum kits out of good (and typically famous) drum breaks, the drums on that track are from Impeach The President by The Honey Drippers, I also like using A New Day by the Skull Snaps a lot too but there's plenty of options, I do recommend only using samples from one break at a time, it really helps the drums sound like they're from the same kit and the limited nature kind of helps you be creative. You can mix in 808 kicks under your big kicks for more boom but I didn't do anything like that on the one above, just a bit of compression.

For dealing with samples and getting that kind of legit grittiness you can approach it in a number of ways, I find recording directly from records already gives it enough most of the time, but you can get old sampler emulation type stuff, there's a new plugin for ableton that does the famous SP1200 sampler sound, plus you can play about with saturators, tape emulation, reducing the bit rate data using Redux (stock ableton plugin), as well as using filter effects, especially band passes if you want that semi-daft punk esque sound. Typically you're gonna want to add bass and it's usually best to stick with simple tones, sine wave based patches with sub oscillator type deals, the bass on that track is a Diva patch because I love analogue sounding synths and it sounded vaguely like the one used on 93 til infinity.

Also Rhythm Roulette is a youtube series that is fantastic and definitely will help you understand hip hop producer workflow since it's all about that, check it out!

edit: for reference here's the track and sample I used for the above one, the refrain is literally the bit straight after the main sample https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxOGt2g3gvw&t=131s

brian fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 25, 2017

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Can anyone recommend some resources for starting out hip hop production?

To give a bit of background, I studied jazz guitar performance at university level, so I have some knowledge on theory and composition. However my experience with drums is very limited. I tried using FL Studio yesterday and got so confused. I was expecting it to look more like regular music composition. Is there a way to set up the rhythms that's a bit more intuitive to musicians rather than the block/grid dragging thing? Everything seems to be subdivided into quarters so I'm not sure how I would create triplets or change meter, etc. I guess I'm a bit overwhelmed with the amount of knobs and dials there are everywhere to change timbre/mixing/effects; coming from a jazz pedagogy background there is very little focus on that and much more on harmony, rhythm, and melodic choices.

So far I've started doing a tutorial on how to chop up breakbeats but beyond that I'm lost as to where to learn and progress. At the moment, it looks like music production has more in common with programming (my job) than it does jazz performance.

Sorry if it's a very dumb question. Also if anyone has suggestions on good DAW software to start with, let me know. Seems like it will take a while to learn everything so I'd rather not have to switch once I realize FL sucks or something. I also don't have any gear - it seems like a midi controller/synth would be a good first step, does that sound about right?

If it matters, I'm interested in creating some r&b / neo-soul / gospel inspired beats, along the lines of Tyler the Creator's Scum gently caress Flower Boy or Acid Rap by Chance the Rapper.

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 30, 2017

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I mean each DAW is different but once you learn one you basically can figure out all of them fairly quickly. FL studio is great in my opinion, but yeah everything is based on patterns. Just watch some YouTube vids, you can adjust the grid in the piano roll rather than using the step sequencer, hold alt while dragging things to disable locking.

Really just press f1 or whatever to read the help and some YouTube tutorials which will go into excruciating detail.

E: I think Cubase allows you to write midi using music notation if you really want to do that, but I'd recommend learning to use the piano roll especially if you'll be working with samples and assigning them to notes in a sampler.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 31, 2017

GazzaUK
Mar 2, 2005
https://soundcloud.com/geezillaz/a-minor-thing/s-nWBkT

Hobbyist bedroom producer based in Edinburgh! - this is actually the first thing I have made I am kinda happy with :S Some kinda pop-hop beat

Bitwig is my DAW - welcoming any hot tips to improve the beat quality for future stuff and also looking for collaborations if anyone is keen (this beat is taken)

dope.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

That is tres dope Gazza, after intro the whole thing sounds super nicely mixed and thumpy, the intro drums seem a bit too subtle I guess is the only critique, like it feels like they should be more prominent or not there at all instead of heavily filtered/distant. Also i'm in Dundee by happenstance, we should totes collab sometime!

GazzaUK
Mar 2, 2005
nice one! Yeah I need to stop filtering in the drums at the start of all my tracks, it's kinda lazy :) send me a PM on Soundcloud Brian - Scottish Hip Hop is a thing!

Much enjoying the following as an introduction -

https://werd.bandcamp.com

And if you've not seen it already -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZOAzbH8tdU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
If I've already got Logic (and therefore not going to spend $450 on Live), is there a reasonably priced software sampler/beat production plugin that is enough of a substantial upgrade over EXS24/Ultrabeat to make it worth buying for making downtempo/chillwave/triphop kind of poo poo? I was going to buy a Maschine or MPC Touch but cheaped out because I got an offer of an effectively brand new MPD226 for $80 and it seemed like there's probably a good AU somewhere. Kontakt looks amazing but if I get that I might as well just buy Live or Komplete, and neither of those are in the budget right now. I dunno, I'm new at this poo poo, I'm coming from a background of making guitar-based post-rock where I just cranked up the delay/reverb and played the trails, but I listened to too much Frank Ocean and now I want to try something new.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 17, 2017

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

I've asked myself the same question and after much research I came to the conclusion that EXS24 and Ultrabeat are incredibly powerful and there is no need for anything else. It's just not obvious what to do with them on first inspection and speaking for myself personally, I needed tutorials to help me comprehend it all. I looked into getting Kontact and, while it is nice, deemed it redundant and a waste of money after studying what EXS24 and Ultrabeat are capable of.

In fact, everything that Logic comes packed with is more than enough to get you going and making the music you want to make. My advice; get comfortable with Logic and what it has to offer. I mean spend a good 4 to 6 months making music with it. Then decide from there what you need to spend money on to further your art.

illBilliam fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 22, 2017

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Any recommendations for 25 key midi controller/synth/drum pads? First purchase to start beat making

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Ornithology posted:

Any recommendations for 25 key midi controller/synth/drum pads? First purchase to start beat making

I like the MPK225. There's always half a dozen for super cheap on eBay. I got mine for <$150.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, I'm new here and I've been dabbling in mixing hip hop audio tracks with NES tracks. If this is the wrong place then please let me know where I should be instead.

Hope this link works. It's not the best, but I'm proud of it, especially silly the beat drop. I've only been at this for a couple weeks now, and it kinda falls apart near the end. Let me know how badly I hosed up and how I can gently caress up less in the future?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ksi4BXudor-zp9fnYUdwWs25Ftrwy88v/view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Here's a beat i made from a Mogwai piano melody sample:
https://soundcloud.com/ratsreebok/friend-friend-friend

• Locked thread