Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
yo guys i dont think i mentioned this before but i am not really postin round here too much these days so get at me on twitter or facebook or w/e if you wanna collab or w/e

also if anybody's got THAT FIYAH i sorta feel like recordin something tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
http://soundcloud.com/satellite-high/money-fido-freestyle

heres a new 'track' that is basically just me drunk as hell rappin about bein broke over the drum break from a byrds song

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

HEY I MADE THIS ON FRIDAY NIGHT i was p. drunk

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
http://soundcloud.com/satellite-high/moms-say-funky-the-satellite

i am making a few real ultra-sleazy instrumentals to put on a cassette tape called gently caress MUSIC

this is heavily inspired by the instrumental poo poo on the love movement

it is supposed to make you think about maybe fuckin some middle-aged white chick on a yacht

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Freddie Gibbis posted:

it is supposed to make you think about maybe fuckin some middle-aged white chick on a yacht

"write what you know" BOOOOOOSH

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
realtalk i am all about hip hop but when i read people sayin poo poo like WE GOIN HARD IN THE 2012 but i know they're corny white kids irl it makes me wanna punch something

just needed to vent cuz one of my facebook friends is drivin me up the wall with his "ALL DAY ERRDAY YALL WE HOLDIN IT DOWN FOR SF YALL CHECK THE SWAG" blah blah nonsense cuz the dude works for zynga making interface elements for farmville or some poo poo

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

MitchFM posted:

Just looking for critique new in the game but getting the hang of things, dont have too many ears around me to listen and give feedback ... Using strictly Reason 6.5 if it matters

http://snd.sc/ORcTKz

#1) please stop referring to music as "the game" that poo poo is played and dumb

#2) those blips in te drum pattern sound like a metronome and not in a good way

#3) Jesus Nyce is right on point, your sounds are way too 'cheesed-out' to support such a minimalist beat, you either need to really work on the sounds themselves or get a lot more involved in your arrangements and layering and stuff b/c this right now DOES sound like a sega game

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Griff M. posted:

Cleaned it up a bit, redid the drum levels, and messed with the opening/added an ending.

I'm actually pretty pleased with it.

What do y'all think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iboGTP5p7Rs

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
MitchFM - i think a lot of the problem with your mix isn't the sounds themselves but the absolute dryness of it; your drums don't seem to be compressed at all and they sound real thin and weak and the whole mix sounds very 'small' and computerized; i know reason has some decent compressors and limiters in it so maybe just gently caress around with mixing as well as the arrangement n poo poo

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
plus she like the way i diddy-bop, you peep that?

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
i don't like the drum sounds at all but that's neither here nor there

i would say that you really need to be careful abt the snare, even if you listen to like dilla or black milk or dudes who do a lot of hand-sequencing swing, you will always hear the 2 & 4 of the snare quantized even if every other note is sloppy

as it stands right now nobody would be able to rap over this really cuz the last two beats of every fourth bar completely fall apart

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
i like that artwork a ton

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

THNDRTHF posted:

I onluy mix it when im smokin frontos or if there's aussies aroud

hahaha i mix even in pipes and poo poo + its cuz i started smokin w/ an australian dude

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
played a show in san luis obispo this weekend there were four people there

dudes don't invite out of town guys to come play shows if you aren't going to promote the show that is just annoying

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
so who here makes blue sky black death type beats that are all spaced out and full of pathos and emotion cuz i wanna do an album w/ you

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

whoknew posted:

I saw your tweet the other day about wanting some xxx-like beats... I had a good one but I already used it. I'll post if I end up making anything like that again soon

EDIT: does this count? you can have it if you want it: http://soundcloud.com/doubl-e/learn-you/s-ICGl8

also, here is one of the latest creations (needs some mixing), look for it on the upcoming mixtape (who cares)

http://soundcloud.com/doubl-e/dang/s-Jz839

this is definitely dope but there's almost a little too much going on in the midrange for me to rap over cuz i have such a high-pitched voice hehehe

i really like the vibe a lot tho!

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
also "dang" is cool it reminds me of the latest el-p record quite a bit

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

whoknew posted:

cool, that may explain why i've never successfully rapped on that beat ha.

thanks for the comparison to el-p. i thought the same thing after i made it but it wasn't intentional. in related news i need a good metal hitting metal noise (tang tang tang-tang tang t-tang tang tang)

go to a playground with a ball peen hammer and a recording device and do it yourself

this is the most fun way to get sounds imo, i have been wicked into 'field recording' lately

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

THNDRTHF posted:

do you have a link to anything you've done? this will probably help

lol yeah man im totally down to do weird long-form projects w/ internet cats but not super interested in swinging at knuckleballs with my eyes closed

for all we know you are rappin about nintendo games or somethin ali

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
ay yo thndr do u know sabac rec or kiwi cuz some dude's about to drop a track that all four of us recorded like four years ago ahahahaha

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

THNDRTHF posted:

sabac red from non phixion

thats dope

dunno kiwi but good looks tho

yeah i didnt know if you knew those fellas cuz of BK connections or w/e

it's a weird story cuz dude got sabac and kiwi to feature on a track like 4 yrs ago as this ultra-political election thing and i guess just talked to em about re-releasing it w/ new lyrics and poo poo so i'm on this new one and everybody's doin new verses and poo poo

should be pretty dope, playiung a lot of guitar on the track too hahaha

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

here is a spacey song i finished last night

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

whoknew posted:

samples are fun, production is lush, i enjoyed the raps; great work

thanks! i am trying to do more like BSBD kinda poo poo with a lot more reverb and washes and space

also here is an interesting thing - i recorded all the vocals to a click-track before i even started thinking about a beat and then i kinda went in and made the beat afterwards, like 'remixing' my own acapella, led to a diff approach and poo poo. it's fun to shake things up like that

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
http://satellitehigh.bandcamp.com/album/radd-axxion

here's my latest 'ep' or whatever, it's just a bunch of songs i've been recording over the last week for no real reason

some if it is very loving weird, some of it you have heard already hahaha

-----

mitchfm - i like that better than the last one but i get this vibe from your stuff where it seems like 'pieces' instead of a whole track, like the bassline and the drums and stuff all very detached from each other, i think it's a mix issue cuz everything is so dry, but it sounds more like "a bass track" and "a drum track" than it does a finished composition imo

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
http://maddcaesar.bandcamp.com/album/pet-elephant

this is that track w/ sabac red & kiwi from native guns

the dudes mixed my vocals SO QUIET but gently caress it, i'm stoked to be on this and it's definitely lo-budget affair

ALSO it's a red cross benefit so maybe share a link or w/e if that's your steez

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
the reason ppl will think HARDWARE SOUNDS BETTER THAN SOFTWARE is b/c sampling hardware doesn't come with a bunch of lovely presets

you bring in a drum hit from a professional recording and you're bringing in the sound of the compressor, the medium it's recorded on -- there's a lot more information there than just an 'instrument sound.' something sampled from a recording is ALWAYS gonna sound thicker and more full than an 808 sound you generate with a synth cuz it's already been through a mixing and mastering process

thndr and everybody else is right, there is no inherent difference between how 1's and 0's are handled from one environment to another. there's a weird rumor about ableton's summing bus being 'inferior' but that is complete bullshit that makes no technical sense whatsoever and is generally repeated by people who just don't know how to mix their poo poo

problem w/ making hip hop beats is that you have to be an engineer as well as a musician and 95% of 'good beats' is about sound-craft, not the actual notes you choose. lots of dudes kinda forget that when they move from 'instrumental music' to production and will expect that they can just hit a magical PRO BUTTON to make poo poo sound 'thick and loud' but that ain't how it works

just keep practicing

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

here is a work in progress, my poo poo is pretty much done but jesse d is gonna put a verse on it too. if anybody else wants to get on this hit me up cuz i can add another verse to the beat or w/e but it's a pretty crazy rhythm so be prepared to get frustrated writing to it lol

this is my fake black milk poo poo

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

yeah i pulled it down a couple days after i posted it cuz its not finished hehehe

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

THNDRTHF posted:

"go baby" by lupe fiasco is the most embarrasing rap song i've heard to date i think and the beat is hot gaaabage

esp. cuz it's just a lovely version of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVRpPKd8Is

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
http://missionlocal.org/2012/12/listen-to-satellite-high-the-best-sf-mc-you-havent-heard-until-now/

somebody wrote a bunch of words about me and also some things that i said to them

:cool:

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

anyway so just today I was listening to martian/viking and ONLY NOW realized that he's saying "i'm a blasphemer," not "I'm a blast femur"

lol yeah that's why i say loving GODDAMMIT right afterwards, it's wordplay son, i ain't got tourettes hahaha

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
hey ya'll

need some help with the following dates:

3/18 -- virginia
3/19 -- philly / nj / etc
3/20 & 3/21 -- nyc

plz let me know if you can help me get anything going on these dates. email me plz cuz i barely check this site anymore:: satellitehighthemc@gmail.com

word!

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
i just like hardware better, i dont have any good reason for that, i just think its more fun

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

destroya posted:

I'll never understand this line of thinking :confused:

i used to think like this and then i realized nobody else was gonna be my biggest fan if i wasnt

amazing what a little bit of cockiness can do for ya

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
YO i forgot if there's bay area cats in here but if there are -- i just had a support act cancel for my show on 2/1 and i'm looking to fill a slot. hit me up with a PM with some links to your poo poo if you're interested. show is in san francisco at neck of the woods (used to be the rockit room)

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

destroya posted:

i'm definitely one of my top 3 fans. if you don't think you're unfuckwitable or plan to be in the near future you might as well quit now IMHO

lol this is probably a good point. i'm all up on my own tip lately but if there aren't artists that you can listen to and go "drat I WISH I COULD DO THAT" you've lost your drive. everybody needs to aspire to somethin. for me right now it's shabazz palaces lol

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
actually that's not true, as a vocalist, elzhi consistently smacks me back down to size, just listening to that poo poo is a reminder of the stuff i need to strive for etc etc

ps posting while drunk, don't tell

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
hey bay area!

come to this show and/or share it with your friends

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
http://www.thebaybridged.com/2013/01/30/satellite-high-show-at-neck-of-the-woods-2113/

just a reminder that i rule hard and have a rad dog and that if you live in the bay you need to be at this show on friday

if you have never heard modern maker, they are anticon-affiliated and on some crazy weird poo poo. paulie rhyme plays with a really good band and l to the.. is a really cool throw-back big life style mc. it is going to be so much fun and you should come to it and buy me several beers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
here are some towns that i am going to be performing music in over the next week, please come see me if you're in any of them:

3/14 - orlando, fl (will's pub)
3/15 - st. pete, fl (venture compound)
3/16 - sarasota, fl (pasttimes pub)
3/18 - gainesville, fl (boca fiesta)
3/20 - brooklyn, ny (la salla at cantina royale)

thanks yall!

• Locked thread