Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
sup guys. gonna try to engage in here a bit more frequently cuz i miss you guys

here is my newest song, all of the sounds on it except the synths and the kick / snare are live percussion poo poo cuz my wife got me a huge box of like maracas and cabasas and guiros and poo poo for my birthday, hahaha

the song is about RAP HANDS

https://soundcloud.com/satellite-high/rap-hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
hey guys, i got like 32 bars of lyrics for a track that's just name-dropping poo poo about 1980's pro wrestlers (ala gza's "labels")

im feeling uninspired though and i could really use a real aggressive grimy n' slumpy beat for it, around 84-90bpm. if anybody's got anything laying around they wanna donate, hit me up -- satellitehighthemc (at) gmail dot com

i can't guarantee anything but i got a couple connections and can probably get written up at a few places around the web

HIT ME UP WITH THAT poo poo

Thoogsby posted:

I stayed up for a long rear end time sampling death metal tunes
https://soundcloud.com/goobermusic/from-sweden-with-heaters

i dunno about this one man, all of the components sound cool on their own but dont really mesh if ya feel me. like, the bells are dope as gently caress but they don't really sit well on top of that chopped guitar riff. i'd maybe tone it down a bit and try to make things sparses, esp. on the drums front

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
ps i know i just suggested sparseness right after posting a track with like sixteen tracks of percussion so im basically worthless

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Thoogsby posted:

Hah, i get your point. When I'm working on something I never know if I should make it laid back enough for someone to spit over or keep it heavy on vocal drops and beat breaks/fills to keep people's attention.

i think you can still get super-busy and be rappable too, look at black milk or madlib, or dilla.... but i havent figured out how to do it yet hahaha

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
http://soundcloud.com/satellite-high/a-superstar-of-saturday

jay nyce got to me first :)

this song goes hard btw

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Shovelbearer posted:

Ha, this is great. I don't know how many will appreciate the "Kerry Von Erich but I steady the bike" line but that's funny.

there's also CRASH SAVAGE BUT ITS YOU IN THE CAR hahaha

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
that's a pretty neat vibe. did you play the bass yourself?

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Shovelbearer posted:

No, just sequenced out with Scarbee bass in Kontakt and then hosed with it a lot to make it sound human.

yeah, that's super convincing, thought it was definitely a live track. nice job!

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
that's rad, it reminds me a lot of DJ Food or Coldcut or something that would be on Ninja Tune. cool vibe homey

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

just realized i didn't post this before

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
i liek the song but something about the mix sounds very squashed and 'small' to me. i aint gonna remix it tho cuz ITS FINISHED and thats how i roll hahaha

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
This poo poo is pretty tight but "beat leasing" is going to be the death of hip hop fwiw

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Thoogsby posted:

the gently caress is beat leasing?

dudes making beats and then selling "leases" to 'em for like fifteen or twenty bucks. ends up leading to poo poo-tons of bad internet rappers using the same beats and usually the dudes that produce em lace em with a ton of producer tags so you know exactly who made it

if you look at that video dude posted its all like "contact me for leases" or something

i think this is the absolute worst way to approach production

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Thoogsby posted:

Anyone ever record live instruments for your beats? I'm not a great guitar player but I know my way around some blues licks, I just can't get it to sound authentic even after resampling it.

Also this beat is fire but no one knows who the dude is..
http://tindeck.com/listen/trqi

like half of my beats are live percussion, live upright, etc

i think your problem might be that blues guitar and hip hop sorta sound corny together

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

my new record is out, some of yall have beats on it :D

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

THNDRTHF posted:

this cover is the loving worst good job

can't wait to listen to this on the way to virginia today

just got your spam email from bandcamp

if you dont like hot pink and rude dog i cant help ya out man

this record is weirdly dark and i didnt realize it till i was mastering it. also 'rap hands' has a really gross clipped-out kick drum but what the gently caress can ya do it's SPEECHCORE

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Thoogsby posted:

did you do all the production on the tracks that don't have (prod by) after?

yessir, stretchin my wings a lot lately and just loving around with a ton of ideas i haven't heard a lot of in rap

i listen to a lot of droney ambient like loscil and stuff and i've been trying to let those influences sneak into my production more

finished this beat last night, need to write to it and poo poo

http://satellite-high.com/blah/Airport.mp3

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

THNDRTHF posted:

those google drive nerds need to figure out how to preview wav and mp3 like in emails fuuuuck

also need to figure out how a vagina works

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

made this last night for a free mixtape that 'modern folk of america' blog is putting out b/c the name is very misleading and he writes about all sorts of DIY music

anyways i thought i'd share cuz it's all live instrumentation, i played every single thing on here (the drum-kit sounding thing is my new cajón)

its "smoooooth"

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

really really dig this a lot. sounds like older 9th wonder or something. on point with the samples for sure

dk2m posted:

Does anyone know how to get that distorted 808 Jeezy sound? I've been loving with 808 samples and sine waves and have had no luck at all.

that's a tuned 808 kick with a poo poo-ton of compression on it and the EQ so maxed out on the bottom end that it's causing the limiter on the mix to clamp down every time it hits. i personally think it sounds like rear end but if you wanna emulate that sound, throw a kick in a sampler, put a compressor on the track with a really low threshold and the ratio cranked to like 8:1, EQ it, and put an adaptive limiter across the whole mix. thats what i would do anyways. but yeah i think it sounds like a big digital butt.

i really love the sample that kicks in when things get 'lush' here but the cymbal sound is really obtrusive and is sort of driving me crazy

in unrelated news, i picked up Logic Pro X and i loving love it so far, the ipad integration is amazing

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Thoogsby posted:

thought about that, thanks for confirming. I think it work in 1/4s at the beginning but the 1/8s are too much but it sounded weird when I changed crash samples in between.

yeah, exactly, the beginning sounds trashy and cool, when it gets into the eighth notes it sort of overpowers the rest of the beat, not so much volume-wise, but because the timbre jumps out at you so much

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
HEY i need help with this mix!

https://soundcloud.com/satellite-test/algernon-remix-wip

the first verse is a guy that recorded in a different room than I did, and I'm trying to 'match' it to the timbre of my mic and signal chain but it's still not quite there b/c his recording has a much just different character than mine.

just curious if anybody has any tips about this kinda poo poo, or if you know of any good metering tools to use for this poo poo.

thanks dudez

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

holy poo poo, this is so good. it's not really my style or i'd be begging you to rap on it hahaha

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
OH YEAH here's what i ended up with for the other track. not perfect but good enough, especially cuz last dude on the track sent me a single file of all his main vox and acapellas on the same track that had already been overcompressed to hell

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Thoogsby posted:

Thanks dude! that means a lot coming from you.

psssh whatever

it is a really sick beat tho i've just sorta started to recognize what type of poo poo i sound the best on and it's generally not stuff that is so dramatic. somebody is gonna rip that poo poo up tho, for sure

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
oh also, bay area types, or anybody who's gonna be in the area

i'm opening for blueprint and illogic in august 10th at the legionnaire's tavern in oakland

i'm doin a couple of songs with jesse dangerously at slim's in SF on august sixth

please come say hello!

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

THNDRTHF posted:

We are gonna be up in your area in like 3 days doing some marketing for a new clothing company and I would love to meet your doge and wifey if at all possible as well as be graced by the presence of your majestic beard

I will PM you my info let's get some craft IPA and discuss obscure late 90s hardcore 45s or something bruh

word sounds good. ill hit you up this weekend, busy today but ill get at ya tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQJEKmQHKV8

OH poo poo YR BOY MADE A RAP VIDEO

ps i love and miss you all :3

• Locked thread