Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
After loving with beats on/off for a few years now im ready to actually start a project with a bud and am gonna pick up an MPC I think. The old 2000s look pretty affordable used, anyone have any input as to which one to get? Gonna try to do as much as possible without a computer involved, might try to record to tape but haha we'll see.

my budget is like $500 max, ideal would be around 300.

Anyone got recs for babbies first drum machine?

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
edit: bleh a bad post was here

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 19, 2015

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

A little late to this, but get an MPC1000 and upgrade to JJOS. You'll be amazed at what you can do with it. Granted, this will probably push the cost to 600 or so (depending on how cheap you can source the MPC) but if you're set on doing it without a computer you'll need to get used to things costing more. Hell, even the free JJOS will make things 5x easier. An MPC2000/2000XL can be found for 400-500, but they can be difficult to use....you probably don't want to have to mess with zip disks.

I bought a 2500 which is an expanded version of the 1000, upgraded it with JJOS, and it was exactly what I wanted--and so much more. Get the MPC1000, in my opinion.

EDIT: here, I'll put my money where my mouth is:
https://soundcloud.com/boyofvirtue/righteous-funk
Made with all vinyl samples, entirely on the MPC. Never touched a computer. I've had mine for two months, once you get used to the workflow you'll be zooming around.

Awesome(the soundcloud tracks are private though)

i went ahead and ordered the 1000 used on eBay. didn't seem like a bad price and "in 100% working condition", we'll see when it gets here.

should i shell out for the max level jjos right away?

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 29, 2015

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
gently caress yea dude thanks for that link, pretty much was hoping to find something like that.

Fuckin ready to start divin into this poo poo, I'll for sure hit ya up on email some time too, good poo poo thanks mate.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

One other thing that you will most likely want to do once you get your MPC, is to open the case and squirt some Deoxit D5 into every switch/fader. I just did this the other day and it fixed a non-working fader and made every other button work like new.

yeah it showed up today, oooof.

quite a few non working switches right now, i took it apart and will have to fix the stupid plastic parts of the buttons, but yeah a 3-4 of the tactile switches are straight unresponsive, and the data wheel is all crazy outta whack. gonna go pick up some d5 tomorrow, most of what i've read people sound like they've had success with it. hoping I don't have to buy a bunch of new switches and do some soldering.......

e: anyway, thanks for the advice i'll stop shittin up the thread here

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 31, 2015

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

That really sucks, and is pretty much a flat-out scam in my opinion. Unless you got it for like $100 and the issues were mentioned in the listing, I'd report an issue with PayPal and return the item. gently caress having to replace the tact switches from the get-go.

Honestly, ebay isn't the best place to buy MPCs, as you can't test them out beforehand and the prices are high. Check your local craigslists, and you should be able to find something decent. Just in my area:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/eld/4858633315.html That's $175 for a used condition MPC
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/msg/4868587188.html $400 for an excellent condition, with original box
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/4857654078.html Hell, here's one for $400 with JJOS installed

Sorry about your issues, I hope that gets straightened out quickly.

Yeah i'm definitely gonna report it and get my money back. luckily the seller is local to me in minneapolis(a pawnshops ebay account) so i can drive down there and deflate the employees tires if I need to.

gonna meet up with a dude selling a 2500 over CL later

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 1, 2015

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
https://soundcloud.com/ddraeh/you

First joint I have wanted to post here, starting to get a good workflow in my sampler.. I am posting this a little prematurely as I still have to finish filling this out and some more sequencing, maybe even some vocals.

This is just a quick bounce but quite a few elements of the mix are a little out of control, went pretty hard with parameter experimentation so I've got some cleaning up to do as a result.

Would compression be the right tool to kinda clean up some of the drum hits that seem to push through the "boundaries" of the haas'd phasing sounds? Is it generally better to put this type of compression on the sample alone or the entire bus?

E: basically, I like the kind of lovely muddy sound going on here, but I still should get it a bit more under control before getting vocals and poo poo on it right

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 28, 2015

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
what's everyone been working on?

https://soundcloud.com/ddraeh/aaa

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

h_double posted:

I'm curious what aspect of working with samples you found easier in Live? Obviously there are a million things in terms of effect processing you can't do on the MPC, but for a lot of basic trimming / slicing / etc. I find it really fast working with the MPC jog wheel and F keys. I like that neither my eyes nor fingers ever need to move more than a couple of inches on the MPC.

Also the standalone hardware was very much part of the point for me -- it's refreshing not having to plug up to a DAW if I just want to noodle for half an hour at the end of the day. All the same I love having a USB port to move samples back and forth. I like how it can be a two-step process where I can do prep work and cook up the underlying ingredients on the laptop, then once you dump all the ingredients into the stewpot you forget about the prep work and just play.

Not that there are any objectively right/wrong ways to do things of course, I'm just curious about other people's workflow.

Exactly my feeling. I love my 2500 with jjosxl even if it's not as easy as chopping poo poo up on ableton with its full set of tools.. To me, it might even be because of the limitations of the mpc.

The only thing I would ask of my MPC is more than two effect slots to be honest.

Conversely, does push make manipulating samples in ableton feel more like using an MPC? I had a maschine for a while, and I enjoyed how easy sample manipulation was, but gently caress the whole maschine interface. Writing it in that and then recording each track to ableton tracks was super annoying to me.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I mean each DAW is different but once you learn one you basically can figure out all of them fairly quickly. FL studio is great in my opinion, but yeah everything is based on patterns. Just watch some YouTube vids, you can adjust the grid in the piano roll rather than using the step sequencer, hold alt while dragging things to disable locking.

Really just press f1 or whatever to read the help and some YouTube tutorials which will go into excruciating detail.

E: I think Cubase allows you to write midi using music notation if you really want to do that, but I'd recommend learning to use the piano roll especially if you'll be working with samples and assigning them to notes in a sampler.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 31, 2017

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Tolkien minority posted:

How do you start producing hip hop music? I've wanted to for years but I've been too lazy and I figure it's time to actually do it. Do I just pirate fl studio and watch youtube tutorials or is there a better way?

yeah just do that and dink around with drum samples and synths. if you want to chop up musical samples you can do it in edison or just cut audio clips up in the fl studio playlist. you can go to the file > helpers menu in the piano roll to set up highlighting on certain scales if you dont really know the basic scales. just youtube search something like 'fl studio hip hop beat tutorial' and i guess that will get you started for a start on some sort of workflow. use the help page that comes up when you hit f1(f11? i forget) for any questions you have about using whatever plugin.

set your pattern length to 4 bars or 16 beats or whatever, make a few patterns, then use the playlist to arrange your patterns. then you can start splitting up your drum and synths into patterns and lay them ontop of each other and poo poo.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Shovelbearer posted:

Haven't posted here in a while, but here's something different. I just got the PO-33 KO which is an $89 "toy" phrase sampler that is actually pretty dope if you can find one. Good lo-fi crunchiness and lets you manipulate stuff in a lot of ways. Here's the first thing I made dicking around with it. Shot with phone because it felt like the spirit of the thing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl3R24DlnS3/?taken-by=ldk47

Sadly, insta cuts it off in the middle of bar 8 :/

and now I will peep thndr's album

This thing looks like fun. Can you have more than one sample mapped to the chromatic buttons? Or is it just one per pattern

• Locked thread