Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So... exactly what is an Auryn, anyhow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Glazius posted:

So... exactly what is an Auryn, anyhow?

As far as I am aware the name Auryn is just a silly reference to a talisman from "The Neverending Story", it looks like a double ouroboros. Don't really think there is any other meaning to it. As we all know by now, these games like to mix up their references from anywhere they can get them really. In the Japanese version it's also simply spelled out as Auryn, so it offers no additional clues.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Getting back to the story at hand... there isn't really much else we can do except head through that door, really.

And on the other side is... well, not a boss fight, at least not yet. So let's see what everybody has to say about the developments so far. We'll start with Li Hua.

This has to be some kind of opportunity, born out of possibilities converging over the entire span of time as we know it...
So I've just got to do it. I've got to give it all I have.
...I'm afraid that's the best plan I have.
No... That's enough. It's a good answer... one I can get my head around.
Thanks. But if you catch me saying anything stupid or pathetic again, feel free to knock some sense into me.
Got it. I hope you're ready for it, because you know I won't hesitate to do so!
All right! Let's do this!

Next we'll talk to Conor.

Lessica is so strong, yet even she fears him...
Are you scared?
...I suppose I am. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't.
But something inside me is telling me that I cannot run.
Don't worry. I can fight this fight. I want to pay everyone back for all of their support.
You said it. Now it's our turn to be there for Lessica.
Of course! She's our friend now, after all.
I'll do my best!

Then we might as well talk to Marie...

And then Orlando...

Finally, Araki.

Everywhere?
Yeah. In the seas and in the mountains. In the rocks and the soil and the wind and the storms. Everywhere.
I see... I guess different cultures must see gods differently.
So that means whatever a god is or isn't all depends on what you believe. It's all in your head.
Anyway, never mind the philosophy. All we need to do now is go find what lies ahead and fight it.
Yeah, I guess so.
How long you planning on making me wait?

Before we go forward, some last words with Lessica.

?
Do you remember when I accused you of being weak?
...Yeah. When you healed me after I got beaten to a pulp by Araki, right?
Correct. The truth is that something occurred to me after that incident.
?
I thought that this was a kind of a weakness only a human can possess. When I realised this, I felt deeply envious of you...
...?
Humans... they truly are remarkable creatures. They possess such warmth and so many other things that I do not...
That is why I would like to protect humanity. No matter what the cost may be.
Thank you... Lessica.
...Lessica?
?
I... I want you to be free. I don't want you to be locked up in this cold prison any more.
...!
...Return to earth with us. After we defeat Amon.
...Thank you for your kind words, Darwin.
You hold the key to this battle's victory. Within you rests the Sopia of Neron. You are truly a most unforeseen Nominator.
If it is you...
Lessica?
...I shall believe in you. You will defeat him.
I will.

Ok, really we need to go though that door now.

Bachs. Of course.

Please raise your hands if you didn't see this coming (not to mention after having seen all previous endings that we've already gone through).

Well, I guess this is it then? Defeat him and we're done?

Let's try pair attack... but it doesn't work very well.

Hm. Let's try one more time... no, I guess normal attacks are not going to work here.

Uh, this doesn't sound good...

Oops.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I will say this - when the game wants you to cutscene lose it makes it really obvious.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yep. And even if you slap on an auto-revive it doesn't matter, your guys still fall and the battle ends.

I once tried to see the Herald's 12th horn attack, but I wanted to also see if I could survive it. It's pretty boring iirc, your guys just get hit by a spell with the Banish animation which does 99999 damage. Auto-revive didn't work, so I got a game over.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

So, last time...

...our fight against Bachs/Amon didn't end too well.

Well, that actually makes sense really.

Where did she come from...?

So basically, the idea is that if we defeat Ophan Lessica, she will "fuse" with Amon (same like other characters have fused with Neron earlier, which should allow us to defeat him... or something.

Helpfully, the game gives us a warning that from this point on there is no more possibility to save until the ending. Wouldn't it be nice if all games warned you like this?

In any case, as I've already mentioned, first we need to fight against Ophan Lessica.

As you might expect, she is holy elemental so dark attacks will do nicely.

We can also steal a weapon for Lessica from her... wait, what?

Continuing on...

...victory is soon ours. That battle is not actually hard at all.

What happens next is better seen as video so please use the link below to watch the next cutscene.

VIDEO: The Real Amon (?) (make sure to switch it to 720px HD for much better quality!)

This follows exactly the same pattern as before with Ophan fights.

He tries something against us, but...

It's time for the next boss battle! This time against Amon for real.

We can start simply...

...because I need Marie to steal his item, which, incidentally, is a weapon for Lessica. Wait, what?

In any case, many of his attacks will be elemental spells...

...so we can counter them in a typical fashion, thanks to Marie's overpowered magic.

He tends to talk a lot, but not much makes any sense really.

After a bit of this...

...and a bit of this...

...we are done here.

Nice finishing blow there, Darwin.

What the heck.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That.
That certainly is some extravagant self-centered design you got going for yourself, unnamed goddess.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Oh course the final boss had angel wings. Why wouldn't he?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Note that unlike our other party members' sleek, cool-looking Ophanim, Lessica's is dull, sorta-emaciated and has a messed up face. That's cause unlike the humans, she does not have any major spiritual beliefs, being the servant of a greedy god.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You know, it actually makes sense that we can steal Lessica a weapon from her own boss form. I mean, she probably manifested that thing and it's going away once we wreck her, and similar.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Hey, RPG final bosses have like 937 final forms. You never know, Lessica might show up in another one of them -- on your side. And then be the enemy, and then be on your side, and ... okay, probably not.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Pretty cosmic background, totally different looking boss figure... Did the game just pull an Asura's Wrath on us and we're about to punch sword out Real God after Fake God?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

And so here we are...

...and, believe it or not, it's a boss fight. But who is this anyway?

Oh, so it's him. It would appear that somehow through Lessica (?) we've manage to enter Amon's realm and this is his real self, finally. So let's try attacking.

Well, didn't work.

Again, oops.

But, somehow, we don't die. Instead, our HP is just reduced down to 1.

Beating him may be a problem. Not only can we not damage him, but he actually heals for 11250 HP at the end of every turn as you can see here.

Hm, what's going on here...?

Ah, I see. So Darwin now gets a massive boost to all his stats.

Let's try attacking again...

Well, that's nice, but... I assume he still heals at the end of a turn, so not sure how this will help.

There he goes again...

That's interesting.

And yes, he still heals. So this doesn't work.

And all this apparently causes us to get a new limit break!

The description could have been phrased a bit better here... what this limit break does is deal nine attacks in total to randomly chosen enemies, i.e. each of nine hits will hit a random enemy. Of course here it does not make a difference since there is only one enemy anyway. Well, let's try it out then... we are trying to kill a god, after all, aren't we?

Ok then. So that was easily 500,000+ HP in damage right there. Don't get too excited though, right now Darwins stats are hugely augmented--in a normal fight each hit of this attack will deal a similar amount of damage as one hit from Collbrande does.

All the monsters are disappearing...

What's going on with the planet...?

And we're back. Lessica doesn't seem to be doing too well though...

And with that, she is gone. Looks like destroying Amon automatically took her out of existence too. Knowing what we know now, it does make sense.

Let's finish this then.

It's time for everybody to leave...

Well then.

Even the teleporter has shut off.

One more time, the game asks us to make the gesture ourselves by swiping on the screen.

Well. In any case, it's time for another credits sequence. This one is quite funky, as it gives us some nice paintings showing how all characters ended up.

What was that!

Don't tell me that...

Hm.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I enjoyed that ending. And of course the game isn't over yet, these games always have a new game plus.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sadly this game does not have a New Game plus. Well it does, but not like CRI's.

It goes Serraphic Gate instead. Let's set the tone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rc1_OhoCiE

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 15, 2015

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
I suppose I should probably mention that this is what you would call the "true ending"; i.e. the main story really is now finished and there isn't anything more to it. The game is not, however, yet done as there is still a bunch more side quests to do and also one last ending to see. So I will cover those over the next couple of updates.

I have to say, even though most of the side quests boil down to boss fights, the game somehow manages to make them not tedious to do and the rewards are often pretty decent (e.g. Auryn, which will prove very useful already in a coming boss fight).

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
So, the true ending involves us blowing up Pui Pui along with the entire floating space fortress? Best ending.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

legoman727 posted:

So, the true ending involves us blowing up Pui Pui along with the entire floating space fortress? Best ending.

Well, one can hope, but looking at it realistically, he did previously(?) survive the destruction of Ark Arena and so on... so I think the little perv is fairly resilient.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Has everyone else had level 3 special attacks, or is that protagonist-exclusive territory?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Glazius posted:

Has everyone else had level 3 special attacks, or is that protagonist-exclusive territory?

No, Level 3 special skill is only for Darwin. Everybody else only has Level 1 and 2 (although, funnily enough, Conor actually has two different level 1 skills, so technically he has 3 special skills, but none of them are considered level 3).

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Hey guys! I have a question for you...

Is there any interest to see more of the sub quests, or would you prefer to move directly onto the next ending?

I mean side quests are fun to do, but ultimately most of them are really just boss fights (albeit against relatively interesting opponents), so I am not sure how interesting that would be to show? If people want to see it, I'm quite happy to do it, but just wanted to see what's the general feeling here.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

It depends. How many sub quests are there? Will you have video for the boss fights?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Definitely show the unique ones. I might just go screenshot for the monster recolours, the dark characters and just the regular souped-up bosses.

The dialogue alone is worth it.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
I would say there's probably about 20-ish sidequests or so left to do--most of them are just boss fights against strong enemies, but a lot feature a relatively imaginative/funny setup so would be worth seeing at least for that. So we are talking about 2-3 updates with sidequests and then one last one for the final possible ending of the game.

Based on lack of comments here, I would be inclined to think that people would probably prefer to go straight to the ending, but I'm open for suggestions. :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I'm interested in seeing these interesting boss fights. The way I see it you have a few options: 1) show the last ending first and then the sub quests (if the ending is lackluster), 2) show the sub quests first and then the last ending (if you want a little build up to the ending), or 3) have one or two updates of the sub quests, then the ending, and finally end the LP with the best bonus bosses (especially if there's a super boss that is more impressive than the final boss). Personally, I'll let you decide the best course of action.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'd call the ending a lot of things but 'lackluster' is not one of them.

Torrast
May 17, 2007
A lot of the side quest banter is great, so I would definitely show that off. Also, are you going to show what happens when you head back from Neron's area with the alternate parties?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

So, in the next couple of updates we are going to go through a bunch of sidequests, before we address the game's final ending. We couldn't really do most of these earlier, since they are typically geared for characters who are level 100+, and there was not really a good way of grinding since high enough level enemies were not available to us. After finishing the true ending, however, levels 101-200 are finally open to us, and we can proceed.

Incidentally, grinding in this game is fairly painless, for two reasons. First of all, there is a particular type of enemy in the game for whom one of the actions they can do in a random battle is summon more of the same enemies in empty slots left by killing some of them. And they are not tough enemies either, they die in one-two hits. Thus, you can simply go to the area where they spawn and basically stay in the same random battle for 10-15 mins and you will have gained 5-6 levels at the end of it when you add in the EXP Increase ability and EXP double items (which these very same enemies give out as one of their possible drops, believe it or not!). Another way of grinding is to farm those Panda-type enemies; they spawn pretty regularly in one particular spot, and you can pretty much gain from 1-3 levels from every fight depending on what particular configuration you encounter, if you use all EXP enhancing skills and items that you can. Personally I prefer the Panda option as it seems to be a bit faster/less boring to do.

But it is actually even better than that. The game is quite merciful, so the other 5 characters which are not participating in the battle will actually follow along with your grinding and basically always be at around 10 levels behind, or so. So in the end, the grinding in this game is not nearly as painful as it could have been.

So let's get going with the quests, today the main focus will be so-called "Ophanim Shrine", that is fights against much more powerful versions of Ophans. But first...

This is actually simply a fight against a stronger version of the "Tentacle" boss. You may remember him from a while ago.

We just need to go to Zenith Bound, exactly where we fought him before.

For the record, the characters will be around level 90 or so for all quests in this update.

With high HP enemies it's not a bad idea to start with a stressor or Necrosis, especially if they don't have elemental weakness.

His attacks are generally not too bad as far as that goes.

Although he does heal for 1000 HP at the end of a turn.

But our damage is fine. Although he does have one problematic move...

This attacks deals decent damage, but more importantly, inflicts random status effects, including poison. Darwin is actually wearing the Auryn, so he won't be affected; but Marie at this point still wears the accessory that gives her extra 1000 HP--even and higher levels, her HP is still very low and this is fairly necessary.

As usual we use this as soon as we can (I am usually too impatient to wait for Godslayer!).

Sometimes, he will do this.

It heals him for a bit more than usual, but also adds an element. This means counter spells of course!

In any case, this is perfectly doable without too much strain.

And here's our reward.

It's a weapon for Darwin, which we have no real use for as it is worse than his current one.

And now we move on to the Ophanim shrine subquests. As I mentioned, these involve fighting more powerful versions of Ophans, and each subsequent one is at a higher level than previous.

The first one is Orlando, and as you can see, we are a bit overleveled for the first couple of these.

We find him in the All-seeing eye. He is fairly annoying as he is VERY FAST plus he attacks THREE TIMES PER TURN!

His attacks aren't actually super-strong at this point, but some have an annoying ability to cancel your own turn with some probability (which is actually pretty high).

Nevertheless, he makes a mistake of using an elemental spell.

Which means...

And then for good measure...

Yeah.

As a reward we get an accessory that gives us a rather large speed boost, +250. The reason it says +170 down there is because Darwin is already wearing something that gives him +80. Not bad, can be useful.

Next up is Marie, and this one is a bit strange actually.

She's over here in the first dungeon.

She actually only has 10000 HP (Orlando had around 30000 or something like that), so you might think this is easy.

But check this out, she heals for exactly 10000 HP at the end of a turn. What this obviously means, is that you must kill her in one turn. To reinforce this, if you don't manage in a few turns, she will simply insta-death you and end the battle.

Ok then, I can hear you saying, just use one of your limit breaks--they deal certainly more than 10000 damage in one turn. Well, the game appears to have what I can only describe as a bug. Multi-hit limit breaks appear in some cases to only deal as much damage as their last hit does--and that ended up happening to me here, no matter what I did (we'll see some more on this topic next time). So I had to find another way.

Luckily, then this happened. She used a fire spell.

When I tried a counter, it turned out that it dealt just under 10000 damage thanks to Marie's magic power.

Therefore the solution was clear. If we apply this buff...

...next time we get exactly what we needed.

The reward is an accessory which gives a big boost to our magic. I'm starting to see a pattern here, people.

Next up is Araki.

Looks impressive, but...

...turns out, with the default Orlando sopia equipped, Darwin is already the opposite element to Araki, so this battle is basically over before it even started.

He does have this one attack which is pretty much an insta-kill (this skill deals more damage the less HP he has, so he will typically use it when low on HP) but it's really just a minor bump in the road.

The reward is pretty expected by now.

Next up is Conor.

Despite being on a higher level, this one is, if anything, even easier as you can see based on screenshots above.

The bosses are starting to give loads of EXP at this level!

In any case, the reward is again exactly what we expected.

The final one is Li Hua. As you can see, she's level 90, which means we are finally about on an equal footing. This is one considerably harder for other reasons too, as we'll soon see.

She hits reasonably hard.

Also, high defence, so single person physical attacks do nothing at all.

Magical counters are pretty effective, though. Thanks, Marie!

However, she will often do this to stop you from using them (this is like the Reflect spell in Final Fantasy but only works once and is automatically dispelled after).

You might be tempted to do this...

...but no, it doesn't work since it's still one person attack and does take defence into account. We will soon be able to get around this issue for other bosses.

Due to Mental Wall spell, using magical attacks is not really safe, but you can use elemental attack items, they get through reflect. They do a lot less damage, but still a reasonable number.

To no one's surprise, the award for this quest is Defence Booster.

We'll do one more unrelated quest for today. Notice, it mentions a book.

Remember how we couldn't read this book before? Well...

...now we can.

And it leads straight into a boss fight against two powerful legion-type enemies.

They hit pretty hard, but...

...otherwise this fight is quite unremarkable.

So that's interesting, but not super-relevant for us anymore really.

The award is one more Auryn. The Auryin is definitely situational, but when you do need it, you need it badly!

So that's it for now, next time we have a few interesting quests that will result in all characters getting their ultimate weapons! So stay tuned for that, because we'll be encountering some unusual enemies as part of that!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh yeah I forgot that you refight the Ophanim. They were pretty forgettable, thought that speed booster comes in handy.

I suspected there was a bug with the limit breaks. I initially thought that the final damage was like a cumulative total, but other times it was obviously added in with the rest of the hits.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

Oh yeah I forgot that you refight the Ophanim. They were pretty forgettable, thought that speed booster comes in handy.

I suspected there was a bug with the limit breaks. I initially thought that the final damage was like a cumulative total, but other times it was obviously added in with the rest of the hits.

Yeah, no, it's not supposed to be a cumulative total (in fact the spell description clearly states how many hits it does!), the multi-hit spells are genuinely buggy and don't always work correctly--sometimes it really just registers the last hit damage--generally you may not notice, but in Ophan Marie fight, it's kind of obvious when she doesn't die from what should have been like 20000HP+ total hit. Don't really know why, to be honest.

Makes you recall the old days of Final Fantasy I where like half the spells don't even work at all! :v:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

As I've mentioned previously, it's time to get our characters' ultimate weapons, finally! It's not going to be easy though, there are some fairly tough boss fights that we'll have to do in order to accomplish this. So, no time to waste, let's get started.

Actually, all of these are fights against "dark" version of our characters; but the quest descriptions are quite funny as you'll see. I'll do all of these with Darwin and Marie and they will always be around the recommended level for the quest, maybe a little bit higher just to be on the safe side. Believe me you DO NOT want to do these with underleveled characters!

There they are. They have funky names.

And here is a spell that is absolutely essential if you want to survive these fights. It's the ultimate spell on Marie's Sopia, and if she doesn't have it, you better go and do some grinding until she gets it. Basically it allows a character to be automatically revived after they die--it only works once, so you have to recast it after that. Hence, most of the time, all that Marie will be doing is making sure they both have this active on them at all times. The good thing about this spell, also, is that if you input actions at the beginning of a turn, and then your character gets killed and revived by an enemy, it won't actually cancel their action--they will still execute it after revival. This is totally awesome and an absolute life saver.

In any case, this first battle is not too bad, but be aware that the Shadow characters have all the same abilities as normal ones, including being able to use their limit breaks, such as ShadowMarie is doing here. Note that ShadowDarwin won't actually be using Godslayer here, though.

Yep, that's why are putting Regenerate on.

We are definitely going to focus on ShadowMarie first, as she is a bit squishier than ShadowDarwin.

She also heals at the end of the turn, but that's really neither here nor there.

More annoyingly she can heal both of them, and will do so often.

But anyway, soon enough she's gone.

ShadowDarwin also likes to use his own Collbrande, but...

...not long after he dies of one too!

Here's our reward.

Marie's ultimate weapon, La Divina Commedia.

Next up is the fight against ShadowOrlando and ShadowAraki. This one is waaaay harder, mainly due to high damage output from Araki.

Here they are.

Absolutely essential.

One way to do this is to run a few Necrosis spells first, because of ShadowAraki's high HP (around 50000 HP) it will help a lot. I won't even do Collbrande until damage from Necrosis goes down.

As with all of these fights, limit breaks are the biggest problem...

especially those which have a chance of causing insta-death.

This still works fine.

Look at that damage!

This is the other essential spell that Marie will be using when she's not casting Regenerate...

It's a full heal on one character. Basically her first duty is to make sure both characters have Regenerate, and otherwise she'll be casting Healing Hand. Unfortunately she won't get much of a chance to attack in any of these.

Here is something. Take note of Darwin's HP.

And look at it now. It seems like only the last hit actually registered--there is definitely a problem with damage calculation for multi-hit attacks, but I'm not exactly sure why. But it does seem to work both ways equally.

Anyway, eventually I do manage to get rid of ShadowAraki (he should absolutely be your first priority--ShadowOrlando is not nearly as dangerous).

And a bit later, Marie sorts out ShadowOrlando.

Here are our rewards.

Ultimate weapons for Orlando and Araki.

But I have a question here. How come in the previous fight we only got a weapon for Marie, but not one for Darwin, what's up with that? Not sure I want to know the answer.

Moving swiftly onwards, next up are ShadowLiHua and ShadowConor. Personally I think this quest description is absolutely hilarious.

This battle is much much easier, mainly thanks to the fact that even here ShadowConor is still completely useless.

He will mostly spam this, which I guess increases their parameters a bit, but that's not a big deal, just keep casting that Regenerate.

What are you watching, ShadowLiHua? Actually, all enemies have a small chance to sometimes skip a turn, and that's what she's doing here.

Don't forget about the limit breaks!

Yeah this will kill Darwin. But that little circle next to his picture at the bottom means he's got Regenerate on, so hell just shake it off and get straight back up.

Anyway, this one is not so interesting, and ShadowConor is quickly dispatched.

ShadowLiHua still has no resistance to magic, so...

...yeah.

Anyway, the rewards are here.

Li Hua and Conor get their ultimate weapons. So now I'm really wondering about Darwin. Perhaps there is one more quest?

Indeed there is. This time it's ShadowDarwin2 and ShadowLessica. Unfortunately, this one is really quite difficult and needs some special preparation.

First of all, we are going to equip Gigas Sopia on Darwin, because we want to be able to use the Sacrifice skill (I will explain it in a moment).

Second, speed is important. It is absolutely essential that both of our characters get their turn before either of the enemies. This will ensure that we can clear up any damage from previous turn (or cast Regenerate) before the next attack. Therefore Marie gets Speed Booster...

...and since I don't have another Speed Booster, I actually equip on Darwin a weapon with slightly lower damage, but which gives him enough of a speed boost to be able to act before the enemies.

Now we're ready (more or less).

Well... here we go. I'm not kidding, this one is really tough if you fight normally. Also note ShadowDarwin's name. This is important.

But we're not going to fight normally. We'll use Sacrifice, the ultimate skill on Gigas Sopia. What it does is deal huge damage based on your HP and leaves you with 1HP remaining. The reason why I am doing this will be obvious shortly.

In our case, it does around 20000 HP damage to ShadowDarwin, which is pretty awesome because he has around 50000 HP, so two of these plus a Collbrande should dispatch him.

And here is why I am doing this. This ShadowDarwin is the post-Amon version, and he is able to use Godslayer, in addition to Collbrande--and he will use them pretty much every other turn, I am not kidding. In fact, he will always use it on the first turn!

And basically, this is the reason for using Sacrifice. You really, really, need to get rid of ShadowDarwin as quickly as possible and none of the other attacks do as much damage (not counting limit breaks, but they seem to be a bit unreliable so...). Letting him survive will just expose you to more and more of his high-damage attacks and you will not be able to keep up.

So, one Collbrande attack when you can catch a breath...

Don't be shy about using Marie's limit break--it heals both characters for almost full amount! You just need to survive until you are in position to use Sacrifice again.

And here it is. With this, ShadowDarwin is gone and the battle is pretty much over, as ShadowLessica is not nearly as dangerous.

So a well placed Collbrande...

Here are our rewards.

The ultimate weapons for Darwin (finally) and Lessica. Now everybody is taken care of, so I guess we are done with Shadow quests?

Not so fast. There's one more actually. But who is this "sketchy looking pair"? Let's talk to Piu-Piu, he may provide some insight.

Uh, what do you mean by this?

Well, let's see what we've got here.

Seriously? But don't worry. Despite being at the highest level of all Shadow fights, this fight is kind of a joke. Don't get me wrong, you can still die, but it's not really a serious serious fight. You'll see.

I'm pretty sure this line is attributed to the wrong character.

Wow, does he talk. Note how he's referencing the stuff from post-game Chaos Rings Omega (Piu-Piu's collectathon) where he and Alto are the main antagonists! But I'm kind of worried about the opening move for this fight, so...

...we re going to do this, just in case.

I guess that was a good idea, looks like.

Yes, she quite literally runs through Marie!

Oh, yeah, before I forget, they have quite funny names here.

In any case, for this fight, I decide to try out Empathy Attack, the ultimate skill on Araki's sopia. It simply deals the more damage the less HP you have. So for this, I will only keep Regenerate on Darwin, but won't be healing him so that his HP is kept suitably low.

That's not bad, and we manage to finish off ShadowGarrick!

A few more and...

The reward for this one is a Black Diamond accessory.

It gives you some boost to speed and luck.

Below you can watch this fight in video format, it's worth checking out for funny looking moves and funky music!

VIDEO: Shadow of the Omega (make sure to switch it to 720px HD for much better quality!)

So that is all as far as shadow fights go--I found them to be slightly hard, but fun to do, especially since, as we've seen, there are a few different strategies you can use really, as long as you took care to max out all Sopias, there are a few useful ultimate skills.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah y'all should watch that video. Not only for the awesome voice acting but for the :rock: music as well.

I used Pair Stonewall for Slayer Shadow's Godslayer too. He uses it every third or fourth turn, so he's actually pretty predictable.
I was at a muuuuuuch lower level, so Alto and Garrick were tough as hell. Still as a fun fight. GAAAAARRRRICKUUU....CAAAAAANNNNOOOOOOOOOOON!
And hey, if the game keeps messing you up with Godslayer, you can always switch to Lessica :v:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah y'all should watch that video. Not only for the awesome voice acting but for the :rock: music as well.

I used Pair Stonewall for Slayer Shadow's Godslayer too. He uses it every third or fourth turn, so he's actually pretty predictable.
I was at a muuuuuuch lower level, so Alto and Garrick were tough as hell. Still as a fun fight. GAAAAARRRRICKUUU....CAAAAAANNNNOOOOOOOOOOON!
And hey, if the game keeps messing you up with Godslayer, you can always switch to Lessica :v:

Yeah, that's why I said, there are many different ways of dealing with this stuff so I tried to show a few different ones, but one thing is for sure, even if you are the right level, these fights are not a joke at all.

But really, what absolutely makes the joke for me with Alto/Garrick fight is the single sentence comment from Piu Piu at the end, "I know, right?" ;)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

That was amazing.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Just from watching the screen shots I'm pretty certain that the number that appears is the cumulative damage so far, not what each individual hit is doing. Thus the final number that appears is the total damage, not the damage from just the last hit.

Either that or every multi-hit attack in this game has each hit get progressively more powerful, but I kind of doubt that.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

ZCKaiser posted:

Just from watching the screen shots I'm pretty certain that the number that appears is the cumulative damage so far, not what each individual hit is doing. Thus the final number that appears is the total damage, not the damage from just the last hit.

Either that or every multi-hit attack in this game has each hit get progressively more powerful, but I kind of doubt that.

Normally I would say you are probably right and it's just cumulative damage, but then you have attacks like Godslayer where every hit can potentially hit a different enemy, so I am not completely sure how that would fit in. Also the descriptions of these attacks explicitly say something like "hit an enemy 5 times" or something like that. So I honestly don't know what's going on here.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This game is beautiful.....

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Is the damage mostly consistent? Some hits might miss and the game just doesnt display it as one.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Is the damage mostly consistent? Some hits might miss and the game just doesnt display it as one.

It's hard to say. I want to say that there was a actually a lot of variance in the damage, but you always use it against different enemies while being at different levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Next page ------------->

• Locked thread