Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

quote:

Andrew Nuttall, representing former Dep Chief Constable Peter Hayes and Assistant Chief Constable Stuart Anderson, said: "The levels of blood alcohol of the deceased are not relevant to either the cause of deaths or the cause of the disaster.

"However, our position, like that of the match commanders, in relation to spectators is that we do feel it's relevant and we will be pursuing that case."

Yeah what the hell does this mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
The preamble is pretty much on the level of "I'm not a homophobe, but", but in legalese: even in court they want total control of the narrative

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I think he's trying to say that its the people who survived being drunks fault

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm trying to figure out if the first quote has been butchered, and what they actually said was that Taylor determined that alcohol wasn't the cause of the disaster. The two quotes don't make any sense.

It's disgusting that they're still pursuing that, even though it's loving obvious that it wasn't the cause. I hope they get questioned on why they were testing the blood-alcohol levels of 10 year olds. Considering the footage from the day shows that a lot of the Liverpool fans were helping the injured, I don't see how they'd be able to use drunken fans as a defense.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

irlZaphod posted:

I'm trying to figure out if the first quote has been butchered, and what they actually said was that Taylor determined that alcohol wasn't the cause of the disaster. The two quotes don't make any sense.

It's disgusting that they're still pursuing that, even though it's loving obvious that it wasn't the cause. I hope they get questioned on why they were testing the blood-alcohol levels of 10 year olds. Considering the footage from the day shows that a lot of the Liverpool fans were helping the injured, I don't see how they'd be able to use drunken fans as a defense.

Because they literally have nothing else as a defense and they're grasping at the thinnest of thin straws.

They cant exactly come out and say 'yeah we were literal idiots and should go to prison for a long time for covering this up.'

Well I mean they could, but they wouldnt be high ranking police officers if they werent as slippery as a politician.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

jynxed posted:

Dont know where to put this thought here was as good as any. Kind of angry and dyslexic but I have really tried to make it make sense and it has had a good few edits.

On the 15th of April 1989 I woke up excited, my mum had told me the night before I needed to go to bed early as my brother might be coming to pick me up to take me to my 1st away game. I was up at 8, eat and got ready and sat waiting for him to show up, (he would have to come from Kent 1st). I sat watching the clock, my brother had never let me down my mum reminded me it was not a certainty as he may not have been able to arrange tickets in time. I figured he would have to show up by 10.30 which came and went maybe we could get away with 11.30 if we really moved. He never showed up, I was gutted really upset. So 3pm came, my father was in the pub I had refused to go shopping with mum so instead grabbed myself a glass of milk and started to watch the TV coverage of the FA cup Semi Final at Hillsborough.

It always brings a tear to my eye when I think back to that day, when I think of what unfolded. I am thankful that he never showed up to collect me as he has secretly planned with my mother or else who knows what would have become of us. Maybe we would have lived through maybe not, the poor kid down the road died along with the kids of some of my mothers work colleges, kids who went to school. I have heard 1st hand the horror stories from people I knew who where there that day kids at the time and adults alike and then the heart wrenching aftermath. The cover up, the lies and the bullying. We have consistently been called paranoid scousers for years due to the counter evidence that gets presented, compelling witness statements not just in the news but from people we know. About cases like Kevin Williams a kid who could have lived and has had some of the countries top coroners review his autopsy to show he could have been saved.

So I have been following some of the preliminary articles on the Hillsborough inquest. Unsurprisingly that utter disgrace of a human Duckenfield and his equally repulsive colleges of the time are to pursue the argument of fan 'drunkenness...significantly contributing to the disaster'. Despite the original inquest but the second also along with the Hillsborough Independent Panel'(HIP) all praising the supporters that day for their quick thinking and resourcefulness when the emergency services failed and stating that excessive alcohol consumption didn't play a part. Interested to see what lies that Bettison decides to go with also although it I wont be suprised if it is the same old line.

I guess having lied through their teeth for the last near 25 years the officers of the SYP have have zero plan B.

Also finally it is coming out about the West Midlands Police, bullying witnesses and possibly changing statements.

I really do hope that finally those who either lst a loved one or something of themselves as a result of that day (I am counting the people who have took their own lives or have suffered mentally as a result also) can finally find some peace and some culpability is had of those responsible (not just the police) for the disaster can consequent cover up. I the 3.15 cut off time is revoked, the time all those who died where declared dead, then who knows what can happen. That is the time at which people would have already have received the injuries from which they were to die. The cut off meant any evidence in respect of the emergency response was ruled inadmissible.

Football supporters where treated as criminals back then cadged in to 'manageable' pens. It needed changing for sure its just a dam shame it was not done before then as Hillsborough had already had a crush a few years earlier and a different semi-final.

There is loads I could go in to but will leave it as that.

If any of you want to read any more: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/mar/15/hillsborough-disaster-survivors and http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/ also our local paper The Liverpool Echo has followed the pre-lims closely.

Given the past though it wont surprise me if its all brushed away again and the old lies are upheld again. If it gets really bad they may hang one of the lower guys out to dry. however the establishment has to look after its own after all.

This person posted in the UK megathread in DnD and I thought people who don't read that load of shite thread might like to read it.

edit: if you haven't already, that Guardian article is an excellent, if harrowing read and well worth a look.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 8, 2014

jynxed
Sep 30, 2013

Lysdexia FWT!
(In other words, I'm dyslexic)
Thanks for the re-post i didnt know about this thread.

The guardian is one of the most moving articles I have read, it pulls no punches and just about everyone I know who has read it had shed a few tears. It starts out with a tale I have heard variations of since then from a few different people and I personally think it deserves to be read, as it shows the scars of not just the 96 who died but those who survived, their family and even some of the emergency service personnel.

edit: the contrast site is the HJC site I should have mentioned that.

jynxed fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 8, 2014

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sorry if this has been posted before, but it's a good read about how badly the police treat football fans

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/02/everyones-equal-eyes-law-unless-you-are-football-fan

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
The fresh inquests are gearing up

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/attorney-general-issues-advisory-note-before-hillsborough-inquests-start

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Sorry if this has been posted before, but it's a good read about how badly the police treat football fans

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/02/everyones-equal-eyes-law-unless-you-are-football-fan

This is a great read.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

St Evan Echoes posted:

That's alarming as hell.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
The police are just poo poo in general. Look at the met police commissioner or whatever he is (he has sir at the start of his name somehow) on news the other night. They literally refuse to accept they do wrong or those within their ranks do wrong. Corrupt, poo poo, cunts.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26778835

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

'Suspects', ffs

jynxed
Sep 30, 2013

Lysdexia FWT!
so inquests starting Monday but will be delayed after opening statements and opening parts of inquest (guessing jury selection etc) so the family can have access to pathology reports.

Caught back end of interview on local news about the suspects, saying looking at various charges from misconduct in public office, perverting course of justice and manslaughter. I am not 100% sure on this but think they where saying IPCC had contacted familys and kept them in the loop, obviously they can not give details and nor should given that they have waited so long for this. 13 suspects 11 interviewed under caution and both past and present officers involved.

Speculation: Duckenfield and Bettison are my safe bets from what I know of the case, I still cant believe that Bettison was chosen as Chief Constable of Merseyside a good few years back (1998? or so) and was in the job for a good few years despite his involvement.

Other news is our neighbors across Stanley Park are to unveil a permanent memorial. Such a nice gesture by Everton who have stood by LFC on this from the very start realising it was not the supporters of one club but thousands in the local community affected.

I had to write a presentation for a class of 11 year olds last night and going through the pictures of the day was so sad but maybe there will be an end in sight soon for not just the family of the 96 but also the people who where there and lives have never been the same since.

Another link for those of you who are interested is the site Anne Williams who sadly passed away earlier in the year ran and focuses on her son Kevins story which brough up alot of questions that hopefully will be answered soon: http://hopeforhillsboroughjustice.wordpress.com/

jynxed fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 28, 2014

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bettison was apparently also the guy who was in charge of smearing Stephen Lawrence and family. It's nice to know that the police have someone whose job is performing acts of literal evil.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
If you haven't been following the Phone Hacking fallout you may not know but the people who covered up the Stephen Lawrence murder did the same on the Daniel Morgan murder

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rivate-eye.html

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Class move by Everton to once again offer their support of the Hillsborough 96.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Akbar posted:

Class move by Everton to once again offer their support of the Hillsborough 96.

They've always been brilliant re: Hillsborough, Bill Kenwright's speech last year was incredibly heartfelt and wonderful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK-DKzc3rmI

jynxed
Sep 30, 2013

Lysdexia FWT!

Red Star Baldgreg posted:

They've always been brilliant re: Hillsborough, Bill Kenwright's speech last year was incredibly heartfelt and wonderful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK-DKzc3rmI

Not sure if everyone knows this but the FA cup final that year was poignant it was Liverpool V Everton and there was just about zero segregation in the crowd. I think we where both allocated ends like usual but as you can imagine tickets where bought for family and friends of whom ever the 'other lot' where. To show a togetherness and as an act of defiance against all the BS that the cops and press had come out with Merseyside Merseyside was sang. There was also a scarves across Stanley Park event shortly after where the gates of Gooderson where linked to the Kop but I think 4000 scarves, creating 'The Chain of Unity'.

Kenwright has lead the way and I cant fault him on the way he has handled Hillsborough the speech Red Star Baldgreg mentioned along with the tribute at Gooderson last year (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtoaos_everton-jft96-hillsborough-tribute_people) was a great gesture and a memorial is a class act. Just scanning through his Wiki which says his involvement on the board prior to his Chairmanship goes back to 1989 so it would mean he really has stood shoulder to shoulder on this one.

Rivalry seem so petty with something as serious as this and its great that it has been put aside.

jynxed fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 29, 2014

jynxed
Sep 30, 2013

Lysdexia FWT!
So jury was chosen yesterday and this time family members will be able to make a short statement(pen portrait) to the court about their loved ones who died that day. Something that was not included previously and I think is showing the courts sensitivity to this case. The other big change is the fact that the inquest will determine cause of death for each individual victim and not an en mass dead by 3.15 accidental death.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

David Conn ‏@david_conn 3m
#Hillsborough Inquest: Policeman above Leppings Lane believed there was a crush, tried to radio control room, "but could not get through."

LT.CrownRoast
Mar 20, 2009

by XyloJW
http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=hillsborough

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
http://hillsboroughinquests.independent.gov.uk/hearings/

The pen portraits are really hard to read. :(

jynxed
Sep 30, 2013

Lysdexia FWT!
This is a good site to keep updated Liverpool Echo Inquest. If you are not from Merseyside the Echo has done all it can over the years to highlight the injustices and lies of the day, I think it was Brian Reade now of The Mirror who started the reporting it in the Echo at the time and to his credit continued to support the family by asking unanswered questions when he went to The Mirror, so long before the HIP reports.

I helped write a presentation recently for my husbands form to give a school assembly on - I know more about it than him, he is not from Merseyside so only really found out after me arguing with him until he read some articles containing very compelling whiteness statements (this was pre independent panel). I guess like many who had not followed it still thought there 'must have been some wrong doing from the supporters and the police just wouldnt do that', he changed his mind as soon as he had read some of the things and educated himself. Anyway they told him to pick any topic so as its in the news with all the flaws that the original inquest missed along with the police cover-up he chose this subject, only to be told by the head it was too political.

I seriously couldn't believe that from a school in the Merseyside area, we made sure everything that was in it had supporting evidence, there was no party politics, some about the role the emergency services played and it was nothing that had not been seen on the news over the last month or so. Its a shame that there are still some attitudes like this, refusing to educate kids on a local, highly topical, historical event that had huge ramifications not just personally for people involved but for our national sport. At least he got to give his form some lessons on it.

jynxed fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 10, 2014

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Byolante posted:

If you haven't been following the Phone Hacking fallout you may not know but the people who covered up the Stephen Lawrence murder did the same on the Daniel Morgan murder

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rivate-eye.html

They are also connected to the police who planned to kidnap a security guard's wife so they could force him to steal cash from where he worked. This report detailing this was "accidentally" shredded along with all the other evidence relating to possible police corruption a couple of years ago, but the BBC found a copy some how.

The amount of shredded evidence has been described as a "van load" of which this is just a single report so they'll find plenty more where that came from eventually.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Not sure if this was posted yet, but ESPN's done a 30 for 30 documentary on the Hillsborough disaster: http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=hillsborough

They're generally quite good documentaries.

E: it airs next Tuesday

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The Guardian has a good rundown of some pretty nice tributes that are taking place around the ground this weekend:

quote:

English football will mark the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster this weekend with a series of commemorative tributes to the 96 Liverpool supporters who died.

The FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest in 1989 stopped at 3.06pm. The two semi-finals at Wembley and all matches in the top eight tiers of the English league system will kick off seven minutes after their normal scheduled starts, following a minute's silence.

At Anfield on Sunday, scarves from all clubs in the top four divisions will display a number 96 on the pitch before Liverpool's Premier League game against Manchester City. Cards will also be held up by fans for a mosaic tribute spelling out "96 25 years". Ninety-six blue and red roses and wreaths will be presented by City officials to Kenny Dalglish and Ian Rush.

Players and officials at the Wigan Athletic v Arsenal and Hull City v Sheffield United semi‑finals will wear black armbands. Ninety‑six seats have been set aside at the stadium for both games and each will have a Liverpool scarf upon it in memory of those who lost their lives. A number of the families of the 96 will also be in attendance for semi-final between Wigan v Arsenal on Saturday.

Captains will lay wreaths in their technical areas and the names of the 96 victims will be visible on the digital boards around the stadium during a minute's silence.

A new inquest on those who lost their lives in the disaster began on 31 March and is expected to last several months.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/11/hillsborough-25th-anniversary-tributes-seven-minute-delays

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
This Vietnamese fan site has a load of Hillsborough stuff uploaded.

LFCTV | Hillsborough - The Documentary
http://film.lfc.vn/hillsborough-the-documentary/

BBC | Hillsborough: Never Forgotten 2013
http://film.lfc.vn/hillsborough-never-forgotten-2013/

History Channel: Hillsborough Remembered
http://film.lfc.vn/history-channel-hillsborough-remembered/

ITV3 | Hillsborough 1996
http://film.lfc.vn/hillsborough-1996-itv3/

BBC | Searching for the Truth
http://film.lfc.vn/hillsborough-searching-for-the-truth/

BBC | How They Buried the Truth
http://film.lfc.vn/how-they-buried-the-truth-2013/

MOTD on the Hillsborough Disaster & 7 mins live footage of the match
http://motd.lfc.vn/hillsborough-disaster-on-motd/

Channel 5 | The Truth About Hillsborough
http://film.lfc.vn/channel-5-the-truth-about-hillsborough/

ITV1 | Hillsborough: The Search for Truth
http://film.lfc.vn/itv1-hillsborough-the-search-for-truth/

jynxed
Sep 30, 2013

Lysdexia FWT!
I am not sure what to write here today I have shown my feelings on this issue previously on this forum but feel something should today of all days be posted.

Today I went to the memorial, I dont go every year but have on the years I was able. Whilst I am not a religious person I go to show my support to those who's lives will never be the same and to the poor familys who lost a loved one going to something as trivial as a football match and because if we are being honest it could have easily been anyone who went to a match back then. I also go because I believe it has to continue have a visible public backing until something finally gets done and by going to the service you are showing it still does matter to some.

Bill Shankly once said: 'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that', its a quote I always liked and its how alot of us maybe feel when we watch our teams play, I get so carried away and against city at the weekend I was emotionally drained at the final whistle. Today though puts this quote in a different perspective and you realise it really is, at the end of the day no matter how much we love our respective football teams, trivial against the backdrop of the human suffering people when through.

Today I was glad I went, when Trevor Hicks and Margret Aspinall spoke there really was a sense of something begin done about the mess that was made by the authorities on that day and they days following, that there is maybe a light at the end of the tunnel for them. Although there has been false dawns before hopefully, the HiP report publication and in the wake of that the new investigations it really is the beginning of the end.

jynxed fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 15, 2014

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Is there anywhere online to view the entire memorial service in full? The LFC website only seems to have clips.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Popehoist posted:

Is there anywhere online to view the entire memorial service in full? The LFC website only seems to have clips.

This is currently reairing the memorial.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/video/live/live-tv

Edit: Also, for Americans, ESPN is airing a 30 for 30 documentary today called Hillsborough at 8 PM ET.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

While I might not be his biggest fan I thought this was a nice touch
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2029920-russell-brand-sues-the-sun-uses-the-money-to-make-hillsborough-donation

Bling Bling
Jun 9, 2001
Women are bitches since they won't fuck me.

psyer posted:

Edit: Also, for Americans, ESPN is airing a 30 for 30 documentary today called Hillsborough at 8 PM ET.
Well-done. But incredibly hard to watch. The police officer in charge: gently caress.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Bling Bling posted:

Well-done. But incredibly hard to watch. The police officer in charge: gently caress.

I honestly don't think I can watch much more of this. It's just so incredibly unsettling.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Watching it right now. This is extremely well done.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The doc just got finished airing here in the States, and holy poo poo it was...many things. Moving, maddening, but above all very, very good. Do whatever you can to get a hold of it (apparently I read it can't be officially aired in the UK until after the new inquest is completed next year due to contempt-of-court laws, but as it was a BBC co-production it'll doubtlessly be aired then). You won't be disappointed.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I am a wreck after that. I always thought I understood Hillsbororugh and the calls for justice, I had no clue...

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
If anyone hasn't seen the BBC Panorama doc on Hillsborough, you should watch it immediately. I didn't really "get" hillsborough before that, and it's appalling. You can find it on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
As a filthy American, I wasn't familiar with the details of Hillsborough. That doc wrecked me. :smith:

• Locked thread