Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

atomic gog posted:

Yeah, it's horrible.

The Independent had a story about some of the alterations today:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...me-8126233.html

What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

Popehoist posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19570810

Cameron just saying "sorry" over and over again.

EDIT: well done to the man who demanded a front page headline apology from the Sun

Didn't they already do that but then Kelvin Mckenzie came out afterwards and said he wasn't sorry at all.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
Thatcher's government had decided after Heysel that football fans were all mindless hooligans and needed to be totally controlled and criminalised at every opportunity even if it meant killing the game as a spectator sport. They tried to introduce compulsory ID cards that had to be shown by every spectator at every game and backed up some clubs banning all away supporters. They most likely saw this as another opportunity to pin the blame on fans, deflect it from themselves and introduce more draconian rules. They would have happily seen the game wither and die to get rid of the "problem" - of course there was no money in it then.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

TyChan posted:

It started among Man-U fans as a retaliation for the Munich chants some Liverpool fans were fond of and it's meant to refer to Hillsborough and Heysel. You can stretch it to cover the Evra/Suarez incident, but that chant has been around for a very long time and those are the origins for it.

I don't think the Everton fans co-opted the chant as a dig as Hillsborough (or at least I hope not) since it's kind of digging at themselves too.

Given the anti-Scouser bias that you guys have pointed out and how Liverpool can never really own up to Heysel, the chant will probably be there forever whether we like it or not.

That particular song only started last year after the Suarez thing, there are other songs, but that one is new.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

Scott Bakula posted:

This excuse doesn't really work when its a match against Wigan

I'm not trying to excuse it, there's no doubt that Hillsborough is part of the meaning or "reasoning" behind the words and choice of singing it. But it wasn't sung before last year.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
Any anti-Liverpool song our lot sing on Sunday, even if it has nothing to do with Hillsborough, will be treated by the press, by the scousers and even our own loving club as though the entire away end lined up to piss on the eternal flame. Short of linking arms and joining in with YNWA, United fans will get made out to be the villains on Sunday.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
The aeroplane gesturerers were actually Chelsea so LFC win the moral victory again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
In the 70s there was a spate of pitch invasions with the express purpose of getting the match abandoned if things weren't going well for the team in question - United had a fair few incidents. The fences starting going up around that time.

• Locked thread