Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

One Swell Foop posted:

On a similar note, I knew a guy at university called Cormack McCormack.

I know a Dermot McDermott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Dwyane Wade, the basketball player. In fairness, he is named after his father. He also has a sister named Tragil.

:wtc:

I had a teacher in high school who said somebody near her had named their kid Sincere God. I'm not sure how true it is, but given that there is a Ubiquitous P. God in the Social Security Death Index, it's at least plausible.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Veev posted:

My cousin went to a school with a girl named La-a pronounced Ladasha.

This didn't happen. It's a racist myth. Stop posting it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

There was a lawyer in my hometown named C. Matthews Dick.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

At least he can go by Randy.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

On the other hand, Marijuana Pepsi Jackson is a real person.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Francostein posted:

Oh and for a goofy name anecdote:
My father used to teach Spanish in a public high school in Florida. He had a kid on the roster one year named Shithead (pronounced with a soft th sound like "shi-thahd"). I really wish I was joking, and also wished I had proof of this but over the years it's kinda become a family in-joke for silly names people give their children.

Can we stop posting these, already?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Evilpiggie posted:

I grew up near a family of hippies so childern were named:

Wonderful
Rainbow
Sunshine
Axel
Ocean

Really? What kind of a name is Sunshine?

It's Sunshine you take issue with and not Wonderful? At least Sunshine can go by Sunny, and Rainbow and Ocean at least sound vaguely namelike, but Wonderful is a loving adjective.

And poor Axel.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Every day this thread makes me grateful that my parents aren't, you know, morons.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Retired basketball star God Shammgod has started an after-school basketball program in my state.

Carnaticum posted:

My cousin gave his daughter the middle name of Ripley after the heroine from the Alien films. Kind of cool I guess. But what to do when the tyke asks where her name comes from? Show her the movie?

Why not? Ripley owns.

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Dec 23, 2012

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It's probably Sparkle. :suicide:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

My name is [snip]

It's a respectable goddamn name. Sure, it's common, but why does everyone have to be a special loving snowflake?

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 06:13 on Dec 9, 2023

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I met a dude named Gbolahan in college. The "gb" is a double-articulated consonant, meaning you pronounce the G and B at the same time.

Everyone called him G.

Wait, that's an awesome name.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Psychobabble! posted:

La-a is one of the weirder ones I've seen. Guess how it is pronounced?

Ladasha :geno:

That's actually a racist urban legend and has been posted and debunked on at least two-thirds of the pages in this thread. :ssh:

The Snopes article that debunks it is linked on this page. http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Were they from the Phillipines? They have a lot of religious-based names over there, I've noticed. I've spoken to people named Concepcion and... I forgot how they spelled it, but it came out to "ressurection".

This is big in a lot of Spanish-speaking cultures because many of them are deeply Catholic. The Spanish invaded the Philippines in the 1500s, so that's where that came from.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

After the Austin Powers movies, don't most Americans know what randy means?

I found a terribly 90s website listing "unbelievable names", and I'm not sure how many of them are real, but here you go:

http://mrntnwide.tripod.com/stuff.html

I know for a fact C. Matthews Dick is a real person, because I grew up in Newport, RI, but that's about it.

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Jan 6, 2013

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That poor kid is gonna legally change his name to Ray the instant he's old enough.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Some idiot parents named their unfortunate child Dovahkiin to win a free copy of Skyrim last year.

You can't even make a good nickname out of that. Poor kid.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

bringmyfishback posted:

She said the semicolon stood for a drumbeat. Wouldn't that be awfully inconvenient? She's have had to carry a drum around at all times just to introduce herself.

There are no natural languages that require additional tools other than the mouth (or hands, in the case of sign languages) to speak. She was loving with you.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

bringmyfishback posted:

I knew she was loving with me, hence the "awfully inconvenient" comment. Maybe she was just tired of explaining her name all the time. I don't blame her, frankly.

I wish I could remember exactly what her name was, though. I've been trying to recall it, but all I get is "T______;liyos."

Was it perhaps a colon? The Seneca, Cayuga, and Mohawk languages all use colons.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

bringmyfishback posted:

It was definitely a semicolon, but I'm from upstate NY, so all three of those languages would be a good bet (I believe she was Onondaga, though).

Google tells me Onondaga has colons too! I think it's a thing that the Iroquois League must've come up with, standardizing some sort of orthography for written Iroquoian languages.

Maybe she just had bad handwriting? :shobon:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

IronClaymore are you Jeph Jacques?

e: I'm sorry if that was mean :(

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

BONUS ROUND posted:

crotch fruit

Really? Crotch fruit? :cripes:

I've mentioned C. Matthews Dick, a lawyer from the town where I grew up, but the Social Security Death Index is still a goldmine for ridiculous names.

An unfortunate gentleman by the name of Fat Beverly is my favorite.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

m3monster posted:

I used to work in a call center, one day I got a call from a woman who named her child "ABCDE" (pronounced Ab-cidee) because that as much of the alphabet as she knew. I thought at that point no one would ever top that for laziness and ignorance... I was wrong about a week later I spoke to a woman that named her daughter "FEMALE" (pronounced Fe-mall-ee) and I quote, "that is what the doctor wrote on the paper work.".

This poo poo is bannable.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

bringmyfishback posted:

So, apparently Bristol Palin's babydaddy named his new sprog Breeze Beretta? How did I miss this?

You probably missed it by not giving a gently caress about the Palins like a well-adjusted human being. That family is a trainwreck, and not just for bad names. There is that, though. Track, seriously? Who names a child Track?!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I had a teacher named Gay Rendle. She wouldn't let anyone be embarrassed about their own names because, in her own words, "Come on. My name is Gay."

She was an awesome teacher, but her name still makes me laugh because I am a terrible person.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I went to high school with an Aoife, and she pronounced it correctly. Why is there no crying-harp-over-an-irish-flag :ireland: emoticon? :(

The worst variation on "Aisling" is when it's pronounced "ayz-ling". :downs:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Carbon Thief posted:

Roughly "ee-fah" IIRC.

This is right. Goidelic languages :psyduck:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

The original spelling of my mom's last name has a silent H.
A SILENT H
I confronted her about this and she said that the H is not silent, rather it indicates that the M immediately preceding it is pronounced like a W.

Thanks.

That's called lenition and Irish is loving nasty with it. It crosses word boundaries.

I love Irish but I'd be a liar if I said it didn't make my brain hurt.

How about some awful name changes made by adults, instead of kids who have had bad names inflicted on them by idiot parents? I did some googling and found a registered sex offender in Indiana named Tyrannosaurus Rex, and a small-time drug offender who changed his name to Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop. And who can forget Ron Artest Metta World Peace.

In the "man I don't even know" department, there's makeup artist Yolanda Squatpump.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Imperialist Dog posted:

So, uh ... is it pronounced "Shawn"?

Sha-vawn.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'm a fan of Batman bin Suparman.

Apparently so is this guy, who's done a lot of thinking about the name.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

kastein posted:

Puneet is (as far as I know) a fairly common Indian name. Pronounced I sometimes wonder what it means in Hindi.

Wonder no more. From Wikipedia:

quote:

Dikshit or Dikshitar (Hindi: दीक्षित) is a Hindu family name. The word is an adjective form of the Sanskrit word diksha, meaning religious initiations. Dikshit in Sanskrit derives itself as a person or priest involved in such initiations or a scholar in religious scriptures, and literally translates as "one who has received initiation or one who is initiated".

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Name changes are the best. I went to high school with a guy who changed his last name to a Portuguese last name he couldn't pronounce. He wasn't Portuguese or Brazilian or anything like that, and when I asked him why, he said "because I felt like it".

Jesus, at least pick a name you can loving pronounce.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Silly Hippie posted:

My own name (which usually gets explained away as "my parents were both Shakespearean actors") is starting to grow on me.

Plenty of Shakespearean names are great, though. Your name isn't something like Othello or Polonius, is it?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Silly Hippie posted:

Ophelia or Hermione

Hermione is still a name that people have in Britain and has probably seen a resurgence in popularity because of the Harry Potter series. On the other hand there don't seem to be any notable Ophelias.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Khazar-khum posted:

There's a literary agent named Rachel Vader.

Can you imagine how a kid would feel with the surname Vader? He'd either have to be a total badass or go into hiding.

Why are you using "he" to refer to someone named Rachel?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Just got some mail flyer from a Dilip Dudhat. Dilip Dudhat has a dental doctorate degree. I love it.

I would totally pay a visit to Dr. Dilip Dudhat, DMD.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Tibor posted:

I know, I did read your post. I was just adding to the discussion. Also Angharad is pronounced phonetically, you'd be hard pressed to say it wrong. Siobhan, on the other hand. I've met more than my fair share of people who wouldn't know how to pronounce it without being told. And why should they?

I had a teacher who consistently pronounced it "sigh-o-ban" until the one girl in the class who had a sister named Siobhan corrected him. I guess she'd been out for a few days.

vv That's pretty much correct, yeah.

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Feb 13, 2013

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lord Tywin posted:

Those are some pretty awful names, Lemuel may be an old name but it's sound terribly archaic and Odessa makes me think about drunk Ukrainians.

Well, they're in the right thread, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Occams taser posted:

Yeah I suppose that's true regarding the fictional characters not being all that terrible. But, take a gander: http://www.wetpaint.com/network/articles/parents-are-naming-their-babies-after-game-of-thrones-characters-now

Niall Horan isn't a fictional character, and Niall was a real name before One Direction became popular. Sybil is a bit old-fashioned, but it is a real name. Decimus is as old as, well, Rome. Senna is also the name of a German pop singer born in 1979.

No excuse for the rest of them. Except Arya. Arya Stark owns.