Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rather Tonic
Apr 28, 2008
One of my dad's best friends is named Oak Cinnamon. Nice old guy. I've also come across a woman named Marcella Pancake, which is adorable.

I was also very nearly named Piper. My last name looks like it should be pronounced "shoe", so that would have added some fun times to grade school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rather Tonic
Apr 28, 2008

Lady Arcadia posted:

I think the weirdest one I met was Melisandre, like the name of the character from GRRM. As far as I know that's where that name originated.

It's actually just a really old name, pretty much falling into same category as Dorcas and Myfanwy. Melisandre is an old French and German name derived from words for "strong" and "industrious". I'm not saying that it wouldn't be awkward to be named any of these things in modern America, though. Especially Dorcas. That's just begging for your little baby girl to have permanent emotional scarring.