Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Robot Lincoln posted:

People who used to work for me:

First name: Abdi
Last name: Abdi

Abdi Abdi

Dude got a name sound like a Hanna Barbera character shaking its head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

crumpuppet posted:

This lady wrote a little note on her ID book application form to make sure they put the acute accent in the "i" in her name, but put it in the blocks where you write your names. I assume she changed it eventually, but for a while at least her name was essentially Aviance Anmeri Pleasenotetheacute Oni du Plessis.

poo poo, a genuine Margaret Esmerelda Note Spelling Garlick

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
State Farm insurance agent Crystal Metz (seen on a great big-rear end road sign)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_White_Crane posted:

And a question - can anyone explain this whole "A-a pronounced Adasha racist myth" thing?
I don't get what's racist about that.
Isn't it just a tale about a silly name that doesn't really exist, like that photoshop of a driving license for 'Suparman bin Batman'?

Put it to you this way, how often have you ever heard it told about someone named M@, Ma~, or |r?

(That's "Matt", "Matilde", or "Piper".)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_White_Crane posted:

Edit:
Wait, is 'Adasha' a name that would immediately mean 'black person' to most Americans or something?

That's the stereotype, anyway. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_culture#Names

Phy has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Dec 18, 2012

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

NewtGoongrich posted:

For content, I knew a guy named Cody, already a terrible name, who claimed to have legally changed his first name to "Codemeister".

Eternally disappointed every time someone failed to do the Rob Schneider Copy Guy routine at him.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Metal Loaf posted:

Obviously I haven't encountered these firsthand, but the Puritans had some funny names. For a long time, my favourite was "Search-the-Scriptures", but now I think it's "If-Christ-Had-Not-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned".

"Fly-Fornication".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Khazar-khum posted:

Kamloops? I think we've found your problem.

I dunno about those other guys, but Iggy's from Edmonton.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dr. Jonny Anomaly just popped up in my newsfeed for publishing an article in The Journal of Medical Ethics, that condemns the war on drugs and suggests the focus should instead be on dealing with mismanagement of antibiotics.

With a name like Dr. Anomaly, you'd think he'd be doing more with his life.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That pretty much wraps right over from "terrible" into "test pilot for COBRA"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Semprini posted:

Megatron Bison

Or to be more accurate, General Megatron Bison. Used to work at the same place I do, albeit in a different office. Apparently changed it by deed poll, but they made him drop the General in work so people didn't think it was his title.

So that's what the M. stands for! :haw:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
They could have been even bigger jerks and made your middle name Ken.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I have a couple of cousins (like second cousins a couple times removed or something? my mom's cousins grandkids) named Taite (girl) and Fraser (boy). Not Fraiser, Fraser--rhymes with racer. They're American but live in England and are raised by a Filipina nanny who hasn't seen her own children in years. Rich people, man.

Fraser in itself isn't terrible - it's last-naming your kid, sure, but that happens with other last names. Pronouncing it to rhyme with racer and not razor is odd, though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A lot of English last names have their origin based on where someone lived, or what someone did, or whose kid they were, way back when they started having enough people around to have to differentiate between, let's say, John who was the son of Richard (John Richardson), and John who thatched roofs (John Thatcher). Which leaves the obvious question: How did the Rapers get their last name? Because I hope it was from planting canola.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

InEscape posted:

The curator of the American Museum of Natural History is named Mordecai-Mark Mac Low, which may or may not be awesome, I haven't decided. I wonder what people call him for short? Mordecai-Mark is pretty unwieldy.

Mork-Mark-Mac? He needs a hired thug named Michael with an unassuming demeanor. Meek Mook Mike.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wayne Gretzky posted:

You ever hear of this one "Shebby"

My shebby got some fat tars on the back

got fawv hunnert horspowr, fassest shebby yever saw

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wayne Gretzky posted:

This guy was named Steety.

Sfeefy thought he'd go incognito by flipping the f's in his name.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

paragon1 posted:

Well now my brain is just going to assume you gave your child one of the worst names possible, you horrible monster.

Seriously thinking "Ashley Logan"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lotish posted:

My wife's oldest known ancestor had the first name Testament.

That's pretty metal.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was thinking of course he's a very successful real estate agent, he knows if he doesn't work as hard as he can in a completely unrelated field, Nintendo's going to find him and drag him back to a Punch-Out game

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Antivehicular posted:

I think I already posted about him in this thread, but I went to elementary school with a Johnny Johnson Jr., which I always thought was a cold goddamn move from his dad. Then again, I guess spending your life as Johnny Johnson makes you desperate to inflict that suffering on others.

I know at the very least I'd get real fuckin' tired of having to explain that I'm not actually from Wisconsin.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

One of the experts on a trial my firm is involved with is a brain doctor whose last name is Frankenstein.

I am not making this up.

It's FRONKENSHTEEN!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

It's a good point but that does not stop "my child is unique!!" names from sounding loving stupid to pronounce out loud. If your name is an ancient puzzle or spell incantation and I have to unravel it syllable by syllable to pronounce it, your parents are assholes and you should be mad at them.

Howkass Powkass Alan McGowkass

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Fine old Raptorese name.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

sweeperbravo posted:

:eng101: Ulysses Grant's first name was really Hiram

He quickly realized nobody was going to take General H.U.G seriously

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lotish posted:

Best name today is Santa Bravo.

Appearing in Pacific Rim 2?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
How can you not love a wrestler named Dan Slama.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bertrand Hustle posted:

When your name is Guy Beard, I think you have a moral obligation to grow an enormous mountain man beard.

I wonder if Frank Beard would have grown a huge biker beard like the other guys in ZZ Top if he didn't have the last name.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sat next to a dude named Hooman in a class yesterday. Apparently it's a Persian name and I've just seen too many cat macros not to smile a little.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh my god Joe Henchman

I can SEE him!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

This one from earlier will always be my thread favorite:

Lunchbag Rodriguez

Pals around with Cabinet Sanchez

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

That Robox posted:

Guy I know is named Kip. Found out the other day it's actually short for Kipptyn. Poor bastard.

Who's his dad, Pavel Chekhov?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

In a pair of Crocs?

On the frunk of a Porsche?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

Cashier at the store the other day was a 20ish white girl named Justice.

How shiny were her fingernails

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Brent Butt had a sitcom about small-town Saskatchewan for like six seasons and a movie

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Special snowflake spelling for Tariq?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Grunty Secret posted:

This is perfect, now we have a demonym lined up for when eventually colonize Mars and its moons.

That's a Phobean. A Phoebean lives on a moon of Saturn.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

What the gently caress? How would you not have changed your family name sometime in the last 71 years? "No no, I know it got some bad press, but public perception of this word will change sooner rather than later!"

Kim M. Nazi, Ph.D. Archive - JUS

She is literally Dr. Nazi. I mean, you think she'd get tired of going "No, it's pronounced Nazzy."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

meiram posted:

Had a lyft driver named Rommel yesterday.

How was his book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sheorphedelion is known as the Sender of Five. His domain, is Emergy and his palace is named Froulel Tiq. He can be summoned by scrawling his sigil on the ground and, sacrificing a white ram on that spot. He will offer you wisdom and unknown riches but he may extract a heavy price -