Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Friend of my mother's is a preschool teacher in a really hippy town, so she gets some good ones. The ones I remember of the top of my head are Universe and Ultra Violet (girls). She also had a boy named Bird in her class. For some reason this didn't surprise me at all. I did go to school with a girl whose full name is Tananger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

fizzy-o posted:

Sisters named Sailor and Liberty

Incedentally I live near a family whose children are named Jet, Sailor and Chase. And I have a very good friend named Destiny who lives with her dad and brother, Chance.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

legendaryRev posted:

Our local news team in Tampa has a field reporter named Ferdinand Zogbaum. And he always acts like he would rather be pulling off his own testicles than reporting.

Well of course he'd act like that. How would you feel if you had to start everything with "And now we're going to Ferdinand Zogbaum who is actually there right now." and ending with "For Channel 4 Tampa, I'm Ferdinand Zogbaum."

That would get demoralizing :smith:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I got this year's list of amazing names from a local preschool teacher! They are as follows:
• Theron
• Zalo
• Kaydn
• Nazim
• Zavanya
• Kadrea and her mother Qadriyya.
• Kidd

Keep in mind, I live in a small town in the US that is excruciatingly white. These aren't immigrant names, these are "my child is special" names. I have confirmed that every one of these kids was white and had American parents.

Oh, more names from previous years:

Tuesday Noscel (pronounced Nozzle) and her friends Tony Crap and Brona Maloney.

Cymbal Monkey has a new favorite as of 03:06 on Sep 14, 2012

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Rino posted:

I feel bad these kids have to grow up with terrible names.

That's why a lot of countries have naming laws. Well, some countries. Some of them exist because there were restrictions on giving commoner's children nobel names (Sweden). I think these are really sensible. The only way a name can be thrown out is if it could cause physical harm, eg. Adolf Hitler Campbell. So basically anything short of gently caress You and get away with it.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

edit: ignore me

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Did you not once think about about your children's well being and convenience while making really poor choices, or were you too busy watching Babylon 5 in the delivery room?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

sebmojo posted:

My sister-in-law works with poor kids in the Coromandel. Her favourite: A-a. Pronouced: 'Adasha'.

That girls parents should literally be sterilized and sectioned. That is the absolute worst name I've ever seen. Electric Buttram is funny because it's there's a clear goonish lack of damns given on the part of the parents/guy who changed his name. But A-a is the epitome of "look how clever I am, look at what a unique and beautiful snowflake my child is, that's why she needs a name this clever. For I, you see, am so incredibly clever." but without any cleverness or humor to back it up.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Radio Paranoia posted:

Nomore (Pronounced "no more". She was the youngest of a large number of siblings.)

Something about that is actually quite sad.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I just found this fantastic list!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I knew someone who had an abusive boyfriend named Asher Getzoff.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Studies show that people with unusual names are more likely to turn to crime.
:goonsay:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Some of my internet friends had a baby.

Those poor kids. :smith:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

The woman who leaked the documents showing Russian hacking in the US voting machines changed her name to Reality Winner.

Reality.
Winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Male Tears posted:

Are you sure she changed her name to Reality? None of the articles I read mentioned that. Her real last name is definitely Winner because her parents share it as part of a hyphenated name.

I can't remember where I read she changed it. God drat that's a horrible thought that her parents gave her that name.