Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
I have a part time gig working the service desk at a supermarket, and I once rented a rug cleaner to a Richard C. Butts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
I have also seen David K. Fish, L.L.B and a construction contractor called Buttcon

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
I feel bad for C Fartor, holder of an Air Miles account

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
More Western Union Adventures:

I've sent to a Lando and a Presentacion

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

This is big in a lot of Spanish-speaking cultures because many of them are deeply Catholic. The Spanish invaded the Philippines in the 1500s, so that's where that came from.

I've seen a lot of Asuncions and Concepcions (I have quite a few Filipino friends), but I don't remember anything in church history about a presentation :confused:

Sunshine89 has a new favorite as of 21:27 on Jan 3, 2013

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

My bad. I feel pretty ignorant now.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

douche ex machina posted:

One was named Seven.

If my parents were so cruel as to have done this to me, I'd have changed it to Steven the second I turned 18

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Vomax posted:

We had a couple great applications at my last job. One was Duc Quac, the other was Baddi Luckataro (don't remember the exact spelling but it was definitely pronounced like this).

My parents worked with a Duc (pronounced "Duke"), a nice Vietnamese guy.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

eithedog posted:

This is very true - my simple Paul = Paweł gets slaughtered all the time (my friends pronouncation of it ranges from Pavel to Pafeu)

There's an India at my place of work and apparently it's not an uncommon English name. I've also got a friend that picked her own (confirmation) name - Hermenegilda. My fathers name is Karol (pronounced Carol). Maria is also a male name in Poland.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I should know this, I'm half Polish), but isn't Polish written in Latin letters basically as a "gently caress you" to Russia, even though it would look simpler in Cyrillic?

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
More Adventures with Western Union:

Glenn Dinner

Someone named Streisand sending to her sister, Tangerine

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

Or cat name. With or without the pun.

My uncle had a cat named Gatsby. He was grey with white boots and enjoyed sleeping in the open ceiling joints in the basement. He died earlier this year :smith:

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

sweeperbravo posted:

The Bureau of Names That Are Probably Normal in Their Cultural Context

A six year old boy named Shiv, pronounced like the prison knife

There is an extremely successful Indian real estate agent with that name where I live.

There is also an extremely successful Sri Lankan real estate agent named Punch Sockalingam who has a lot of ads on the sides of buses.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Cmdr Tomalak posted:

I posted about that guy earlier in the thread. Scarborough, right?

South Etobicoke, actually. I always thought that was strange because south Etobicoke is mostly Eastern European, where Scarborough has a much larger South Asian community.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I sat next to someone at work today whose first name is Kirby.

I was doing some paperwork, and one of the parties named was Mr. Kirby Smallthorne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Labes for days posted:

So uh, when did Kirby become a weird or terrible name, because I've known several people with the name and it never struck me as anything but normal.

Other than that one incidence, I have only ever seen Kirby as a last name.