Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Many years ago, I worked at a market research firm. We did business with a man named Weasel Strychnine (I think he might also front a band), and another guy named Goy Messiah. One of the secretaries kept a list, and there were some amazing names on it, but I can't remember any. The two, above, are people we had business relationships with.

I, personally, conducted an interview with a woman named Porsche Mercedes Datsun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Also a band.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

In some parts of the world, Attila is actually still a rather common name :eng101:

I know an Attila. He's and older guy, really tall and broad, and he loves to sing karaoke. Of course, Cleveland is absolutely packed with first-generation eastern European immigrants, so there's bound to be an Attila or two floating around.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

sweeperbravo posted:

Like, short for "August?"

As in Augie Murgy, famous highly-decorated American soldier whose exploits in the War of 1812 are chronicled in the Johnny Horton song "The Battle of New Orleans."

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Istari posted:

I now know 3 boys under the age of 7 called Ptolemy.

Are any of them Greek or vaguely Egyptian in any way?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

bringmyfishback posted:

Blip

Feline

Kiwi

Ajax
(Most people are going to think of the cleanser, face it.)

Cub

Danish

Legend

Leviathan
"Leviathan Sephiroth Johnson! You take your sister's hamster out of the microwave RIGHT NOW!"

I fully support a parent's right to name his or her child Feline, or Blip, or Thud, or whatever. I think the concept of telling people what they can and cannot name their children is asinine.

On an unrelated note, I also support forced sterilization and confinement to work camps for people who name their child Feline, or Diezel, or any random noun from a language that is not their native tongue, or any random noun from a language that is their native tongue, and for anyone who has seventeen children with the same name, such as "George."

Edit: ^^ The parents of "Jenasis" go directly to the gas chamber under my plan.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Ariza posted:

I used to have one of his street signs because 14 year olds are dumb.

I once lived in a town with a mayor named David Lynch. All over the town, on the borders with neighboring towns, were signs that said, "Welcome to Euclid, Mayor David Lynch." On one of the signs, someone had scratched out "Lynch" and substituted "Bowie." It's been over twenty years since I saw that sign, and I just had yet another birthday, yesterday, and I still think it's funny.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm going to name my kid Mercedes Edsel Talbot Cotton.

I think I mentioned this way back in this thread, but I once conducted an interview with a woman named Porsche Mercedes Datsun. When I told the lady who collected weird names we encountered at that job, she didn't see what was so funny, at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Kurtofan posted:

How many names do people have in the US? In France it's usually three first names and a single family name. For example I have my usual name, a second name related to the date I was born, a third name which is the name of one of my great-grandfathers and my family name.

edit: of course there also are hyphenated first names like Jean-Pierre, Marie-Claire, etc... but they count as a single name.

Believe it or not but I knew someone who's first name was Jean-Donald, and another who was named Andy-Gilles.

The United States being the United States, there are plenty of people who have brought their cultural naming conventions with them. Other than that, it's normally first-middle-last. It's not wildly unusual for someone to have two middle names, and a double first name is fairly common, but you generally expect someone's full name to be along the lines of "Robert Anthony Jones."