Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

jojoinnit posted:

Has Twilight been around long enough for kids named after it to be in schools and scout troops?

That also made me wonder why there wasn't a run of kids named Harry and Hermione over the past fifteen years.

Wiki tells me it was published in 2005, so there could be kids up to age 7 or so named after it.

This thread makes me so glad that my friends and family have been pretty sensible with their naming, at least of the ones I've seen on facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Watching Toddlers & Tiaras because I'm a horrible person, and one of the girls in this particular episode is named Saryniti. Pronounced Serenity. Her mother is Ca'Trina.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Silly Hippie posted:

It's actually not a real name (Ophelia or Hermione or something, while pretty bad, would be passable), it's a sort of Frankenstein's monster of one. Imagine something along the lines of "Opheliette" or like... "Cordaline". (It's actually not that terrible, but I'm one of the first google results for my real name so sadly I can't post it).

Exit-pursued-by-a-bear Smith?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

For disease names that people actually use as a real name, there's always Candida, both a feminine given name and a genus of yeasts, including the one that gives us yeast infections, C. albicans.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

Someone I know gave their child the middlename Melchior.

Supposedly one of my earliest ancestors in the States on my dad's side had this name. Came over from Germany in the mid-1700s. He definitely existed, there's just some disagreement on the genealogy once we hit the Civil War era.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

I was watching the Dallas Stars game earlier, and apparently one of their ice girls is named Kaime.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

The Orange Mage posted:

The Ballot (Rich White Republican) and the last one with the dog are local to me. We also have a bigass RV dealer over the Indiana border who used to advertise all the loving time. "Tom Raper RV" :stare:

I used to have a friend in high school who had that last name. He was a pretty cool guy, but that name.

TLC shows are probably fish in a barrel, but I was watching Toddlers & Tiaras on Netflix and there was a little girl named Faithlyn. Not even the worst name on that show, but ugh.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Astrofig posted:

Just found out I'm in class with a Sejla. She pronounces it 'Shayla'.

Is she Bosnian or something? Because that would make sense.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Middle name given to the newborn son of a friend of my sister: Hisure. I can't even figure out the source.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

bringmyfishback posted:

"Hisure it's mine!" ...?

Ha, maybe.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Google yields three Chinese companies making three different things in three different places: a biotech firm in Jinhua that manufactures histology products (so probably tissue samples and things like that), a PVC manufacturer in Qingdao, and a cable maker in Shenzhen.

So maybe they're really into Chinese industry.

e: as far as I can tell, it's not a Chinese word, either.

Yeah, that's what I'd found. I wouldn't have picked her for a Chinese industry super fan, or to get knocked up by one, but I also haven't seen her in nearly a decade so who knows?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

Pretty sure Chicago has more Polish people than Warsaw.

I think you're joking, but Curious City, a feature from WBEZ (the Chicago NPR affiliate) did look into the question of whether Chicago has the most Poles outside Poland, and the answer is yes if you count the suburbs.

For content, I was watching the ND State/Charleston Southern game last night, and the quarterback for ND State is named Easton Stick. I heard "Easton State" the first couple of times they said it and thought they were talking about another school.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

King Possum III posted:

When Prince Charles was born, Philip complained that he was the only man in the UK who couldn't give his children his name. Eventually, a consolation of sorts was arranged to soothe his feelings of irrelevance.

The name of the royal dynasty is still The House of Windsor, but it was declared that any descendants of Philip and the Queen who needed a last name would use the surname Mountbatten-Windsor. This looks good, but their sons all have titles of their own that are used as a last name, like Wales, York, and Wessex. Prince William can use his dukedom for a last name (Cambridge) and Prince Harry still uses his father's name (Wales) because he won't be given his dukedom (Sussex) until he marries.

When Princess Anne, their only daughter, signed the registry at her first wedding, she wrote "Anne Mountbatten-Windsor," but this is the only time I know of when this surname was used by anyone.

From last page, but Mountbatten-Windsor was used by William when he and Kate sued in France about those topless pics of Kate.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

hamsystem posted:

Esther Deathrage :black101: (who I found out later was actually Deatherage but I'll never call her that)

Man, if that were my fiance's last name I'd actually consider changing mine.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

I just saw Alithany among a list of names on someone's dance crew t shirt.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Had a lyft driver named Rommel yesterday.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

I know this guy quite well and wouldn't peg him as one of those people who lies to tell a good story (eg "no my mom works at a doctors so she knows La-a's mom") but I'm pretty sure this is one of those urban legend names right?

It's fake, but not in an urban legend way. That's from the musical In The Heights (Lin Manuel Miranda's first Tony winner), Usnavi is one of the main characters and that's how he got his name.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

ladron posted:

It absolutely is. It's the Lemonjello of South America. I've heard stories about Usnavis living in Colombia, Peru, Venezuela, etc. Friend of a friend swears it's true.

Really? Ha, I sort of wondered where LMM came up with it. The exact description in the image matches the description from the musical pretty exactly though.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Saw an article about a baby girl who was born with her heart outside her body and survived the corrective surgery. Her name is Vanellope Hope.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Growing up we had three Maggies but not a lot of other duplicates that I recall, at least that actually went by the same name. There were a few I shared a first name with, but one went by her middle name, and the other two by first + middle (which it occurs to me I don't think I've seen anyone do since I left the south).

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

DemonDarkhorse posted:

mistaria
hyacinth
burgundy
alpha
erie
parthenia
jowing

these are kinda "meh" but then i came across veronhnicca and made a face at the invisible camera.

also siblings sean'drea andre'a andre'

Parthenia shows up a couple of times in my family tree. So does Greenberry, among others.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Warren Harding's middle name was Gamaliel.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Queen Mangosteen

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

The head of the Texas House Election Committee, an rear end in a top hat Republican who has no idea what he's doing other than ramming racist election legislation through (but I repeat myself), is named Briscoe Cain, which exactly what he would be named in a bad novel.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Ralph Hurley posted:

Wilford is a pretty baller name IMO

My paternal grandpa's and his dad's were both Wilfords. Wilford Sr's dad was Valentine, though.

Remulak posted:

Holy loving hell:
https://cla.umn.edu/about/directory/profile/ewf
Elizabeth Wrigley-Field

Can't decide if it would be better or worse if her first name was Addison.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Lady Disdain posted:

Names I've only ever seen on people over 60 or under 6:

Betty (short for Elizabeth, which doesn't fall into this category)
Winston
Malory
Beverly
Susie
Ned
Olive
Barnaby
Rudyard
Otto (strictly in Anglophone countries; definitely more common elsewhere)
Otis
Berenice
Margaret
Shirley
Dougal (possibly more popular in other Anglophone countries)
Mary
Opal
Pearl
Henrietta

Ha, my name's on this list and I'm mid 30s. Don't know a lot of other people with it though. I also grew up with three Margarets who all went by Maggie, and I have two coworkers around my age or a bit younger who are Margarets going by Maggie.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

There's a girl in my baby daughter's class at daycare named Mabel, to continue the cyclical name discussion from a few months ago.

I think we should go all the way and bring back those puritan names that were just phrases. Gonna name my next kid Fly-fornication.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Not interesting, cool, or weird, sorry, but:

I was just in a Teams meeting (:barf:) with someone whose name prompted me to form this opinion: it should be illegal to name your daughter Anu if your surname starts with an S.

Especially if that last name is Shartsis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

A guy who was running for state senate here is named Geary Yonker.