Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

shock.wav posted:

Processing new enrolments of kids at work I have noticed a gradual bastardization of the once proud name, Taylor

Taylah, Tailah, Tayler, Taylahh, Tayyler, Tayla, Taila

Stop making up your own way of spelling existing names! It doesn't make your child unique! It just sentences them to a life of correcting people on the spelling of a common name!
Talia is actually a real name and is much older than Taylor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talia_%28given_name%29

Constipated posted:

Aida
Arian
Ben Breedin
Golda
Tavish
As are Tavish and Golda.

For content, I knew a guy who while his wife was pregnant with twin boys kept threatening to name them Microwave and Just In Time. They ended up being christened Michael Wave and Justin Time.

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Sep 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

letthereberock posted:

Another one, my brother used to work for a company that arranged trips and tours for senior citizens. He swears that once there was a woman who signed up named Ima Slutsky. It is very possible he was loving with me, but I want to believe its true.
My brother had a teacher called Slutsky. Its an Eastern European Jewish name I think?

Similar to Mike Hunt before, I worked with a realtor named Matt Locke.

I always wonder why people who have a *son style last name would use it for a first name. Why would the Paulmans name their son Paul?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

That's a throwback to patronymics, which was a popular naming scheme around the dark ages. In Wales, for example (and many other places) you had Corbyn ap Bran - Corbyn, the son of Bran.
Saxons in positions of power sometimes traced back their lineage all the way back to Woden.

Being someone's son was a big deal, so we still have echoes from those times in the form of *son.
I know what the origins of those names are, but thanks. I was talking about the oddity of the Paulmans saddling their son as Paul Paulman, or the Kirkmans kid being named Kirk. Its the repetition that looks odd. Michael Michaelson. Kirk Kirkman. That sort of thing.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Samfucius posted:

twins Lemonjello ("leh-mon-ja-loh") and Orangejello ("o-ron-ja-lo").
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081208092011AAxdKmS
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090806215919AAQaMCt
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100602094716AAhqxF4
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101209135842AAhM2bU
http://forum.baby-gaga.com/about1086803.html
http://voices.yahoo.com/lemonjello-female-debunking-myth-baby-names-765805.html

Samfucius posted:

Sorry dude who said they named their kid Eowyn but my dad and I met a couple with a newborn when we were out backpacking, and they named their kid the same thing, and that is straight up a weird name.
Thats just a Celtic name and not that uncommon either. Ewan McGregor for example. Eowyn is just an older spelling.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Robot Lincoln posted:

Also, my middle name is Hrafn, it would have been my first but my parents planned on moving to the States and decided to save me the trouble.

Now I just want to know why your name is so anglo.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Hirudo posted:

I knew a guy named Zebulon.

Third from last Tribe of Israel. This thread needs to learn some Old Testament. :colbert:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

madlilnerd posted:

I knew of a kid at school with the surname Gaylord. His first name was something innocuous like Tom, but he ended up dating a girl called Regina Shufflebottom. Now there's a worse name.
Gay-Shufflebottom-Lord :allears:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Eggbeater Jesus posted:

It seems like more people are giving their kids last names instead of first names. It's really getting to be a pet peeve of mine. Stop naming your kids "Jackson" and "Davis" and "Carter." Stop it.
I feel exactly the same way. For a long time now.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

spite house posted:

It's a fantastic name. It just falls into the Menlo Park Anglo kid named Nazim category of situational dissonance. And would cause a lifetime of being addressed as "Uh".
You also can't become a bartender.

When I was about seven my favourite team added a new player named Nicky Butt which I found endlessly hilarious.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The King of Swag posted:

I've actually freely said my first name on the forums before, but now that there's an actual thread devoted to terrible names, I can feel a bit of dread welling up. Let me preface by saying that I don't mind my name, but I understand why it belongs on a list of terrible names. My only comforts are that I really like my last name and chicks seem to dig my first name, despite being terrible.

Rabbit

As I've been told, the other option that was heavily weighed when I was born was Wolfgang Amadeus, with the Amadeus being my middle name. I actually wouldn't have been entirely opposed to that had I not been a baby, although combined with my last name, it'd create a Teutonic trifecta that would have made even loving Hitler proud.
I think it's cool, like you're straight put of an SE Hinton book.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Bonster posted:

A brief part two on names pulled from the dictionary:

Siblings Cyncere, Latifah, Cashmere, Chanel and Classiq. At least Latifah got a real name. I'm kind of a name snob.

You just reminded me. There was a story in our (very) local paper about a family in town who have five living generations. They're lower income and obviously its a chain of the mothers getting pregnant as teenagers. What I found interesting was that they all had the trendy names of their day. The newborn was named Paris Chanel. The mother is named Jade. I can't remember the rest of them though, but the grandma is 38 and the great-great-grandma was 76, so whatever was the Paris or Jade of their day is probably their name.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Khisareth posted:

My brother-in-law's name is Storm.
He just had a baby named Summer.
She was born in February. :confused:

Conceived in May though... ask your sister.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Dudes! posted:

How do you pronounce it?

Iayn Kiir Pyotr Öpik: Ian Keer Peter Opik, phonetically I believe.

Alhazred posted:

There's also a Norwegian law that says that if less than 200 people share a surname you have to ask them for permission to use it
You mean to use their surname as a first or middle name, or you mean to change your surname to theirs?

Call Now posted:

All of them?
This too.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Khazar-khum posted:

Our local Vons (a supermarket chain, for you non So Californians) there was a bag girl named Latrina. Yes, it could be a pretty name if you didn't speak English, but why do that to your daughter? How do you get to be old enough to procreate without knowing what a latrine is?
Changed the name in the 13th century. Used to be Shithouse.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

rodbeard posted:

An engineer I work with told a variation of the L-a story while we were out to lunch with some people today. He claimed she was one of his wife's students. He did the stereotypical black neck waggling thing and tried his best to sound like a black woman. It was awkward.

Yeah I've had that. I mention it's an urban legend but everyone insists that their mum/wife/friend works with someone who actually saw it, this one was definitely real.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Veev posted:

Sorry, Dumbposting.
I have to know, are you retracting because you were lying in the first place or did you genuinely believe your cousin knew La-a and you just found out in the thread it's a racist myth?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Oh, I know a pair of old brothers.

Their names are Pacific and Ocean. (Their sister is named Ethel).
Please tell me their surname is Waters :v:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Fader Movitz posted:

One time in school my class made a field trip to a church to do some assignment about worship. At that time we also had two english speaking dudes as exchange students with us. So our guide first showed us in and then said in english "Welcome to our church, i'm Rev.Jerker". I don't think i have ever seen anyone trying so badly to supress a laugh since.

Oh :sweden: names
I had a similar thing when whilst in America I came across a Mr Wankoff.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Just read Rob Lowes book. His second kid is named Johnowen, apparently a compromise for his wife and him. I just hear someone with an awful lisp trying to say Jonathan.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

They live among us, they vote, and they breed

In that order?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Has Twilight been around long enough for kids named after it to be in schools and scout troops?

That also made me wonder why there wasn't a run of kids named Harry and Hermione over the past fifteen years.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see an influx of Joannes. Maybe Terrys, too, but that might be too much of a boy-named-Sue sort of name at the moment.
In the UK at least, Terry is still a regular boys/mans name. Whats Joanne referring to?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The other day I had to go back and correct a work email to a Megan when I noticed she spelled it Mehgann.

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 02:41 on Dec 30, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

OozieNelson posted:

Not kidding with this one, I encountered a name on a form "Shaquille-O'Neal K. Lane."
I can understand if his parents were big fans of Shaq and went with a first name of Shaquille. But no, they used Shaq's whole name as this kid's first name.

I actually think I know the story with this one. I read years ago about a pregnant women who met Shaq and for some reason he ended up meeting her family and gave her a bunch of signed sneakers and stuff so when she gave birth she named her son "Shaquille O'Neal *Lastname*".

It'd be funny if that's the same kid but it could also just be a random big fan who did the same thing.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

OozieNelson posted:

Well, I saw this name in Wisconsin. Was this lady from Wisconsin as well?

Dunno. What I posted is literally all I remember.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

*Edit: I will mention, though, that my initials are LSD.

I know a psychologist with the initials OCD.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

At some point in the 18th century, the Prussian government gave last names to all the Jews living there (before, they had all gone by their parents' names, I think), and a number of the officials assigned to the job deliberately named them funny or disrespectful things.

And thus, you got names like Katzenellenbogen (Cat's Elbows). I go to grad school with a dude whose last name is Lustig (Funny). He's Jewish, so he could be descended from one of those people.

I've seen some of these too and I always wondered why people didn't change them when they could instead of passing down names like Grosskopf (Big Head).

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Isnt that one of the "Urban Legend Names"?

Edit:

quote:

http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp

Names reported to have resulted from overhearing an unusual but flowery-sounding term:

Chlamydia (kla-MID-e-ah)

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Jan 3, 2013

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Initial chat: My brother's initials are SMG which is pretty rad, but the actual name it took to get there I don't envy at all.
You just reminded me I knew someone whose initials were MSG. Wonder if its the same combination of names.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

DarkUltim8Hedgehog posted:

I sometimes look at charts of the most popular baby names in recent years, and in the last couple of years names that end in that "yn" sound are extremely popular. They are mostly spelled with an "en" - names like Jaden, Caylen, Payden, etc. However I must admit I find the name Blaydynn to be cool. Who would bully someone who's named after a blade?
All I see now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7URSM_ShQQ

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

foot posted:

British MP Ed Balls has one of my favorite names.

Sillier, but Armand Hammer is still my favourite actual famous person name.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Today, I learned that there is a tech at my local pharmacy named Porsche.

I'm an acquaintance with a Porshah.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

squeegee posted:

As far as people's birth names, I also know of a family whose children are named Heaven Earth (first and last name) and Seven. I guess I can understand Heaven Earth in a stupid cutesy way, but Seven? Who names their child after a number? He's not old enough to go to school yet, but I wonder what his teachers and classmates are doing to think about that.

They're either Seinfeld fans or just dumb.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

This is way late, but I once worked for a woman named Melody who named her daughter Harmony. It's a little daft as a sibling-name thing, but as a generational thing, it verges on the cruel.

On the subject of dubious generational name choices, a kid I knew in elementary school was named Johnny Johnson Jr. It's not as bad as some names people pass on, but... seriously, Johnny Johnson? You had to keep this going?

It doesn't really matter what you make a Junior because that's what they'll be called no matter what their first name is.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

treiz01 posted:

I decided to google Adasha, and it told me that in that form it is an actual name, an old near east combo that means "beauty" or "noble".

The other has to be bullshit though and I wouldn't accept it without proof.

I can believe people met Adasha. I can't believe anyone met A-a.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Was talking about this with some friends. One person had a professor named Dick Hyman who refused to go by Richard, which reminded me that the head of my course was also a Richard who insisted on going by Dick, and not just Dick but Dr Dick. Had it on his mug.

Some nicknames are too childish though. I wrote an inter-office email to a 'Dickie'. At a certain point in your career you should probably drop the '-ie/y' suffix from your childhood nickname.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

On the topic of Gaelic names I knew a Tadgh. Can't remember how to pronounce it though as he went by a nickname.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

bringmyfishback posted:

I had a boy named Ashley in my kindergarten class. Remember thinking it was weird at the time. It was probably really annoying for the poor dude; he must get "like in Gone With the Wind!" every day of his life.

I grew up knowing Ashley as only being a boys name (in the uk).

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Most of those are real. My grandma is named Sybil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

razorrozar posted:

My dad told me he knew a girl named Shithead, pronounced shy-theed. I thought he was bullshitting me until my tenth grade percussion instructor, who went to school with my dad, confirmed it. So either I have been the victim of a massive baby boomer prank, or some parent actually named their infant girl Shithead.

That's straight up off the same Snopes page.

quote:

As the 1917 example shows, this legend has been around for dogs' years. It now exists in two slightly different forms — the parents either misread a word, coming up with an unusual but pleasant-sounding pronunciation of same, or a member of the medical staff is overheard to properly pronounce the word, the parents think it pretty, and thus choose to stick the youngster with it.

Names reported to have resulted from misinterpretations of the written word:
rear end in a top hat (ah-SHOL-ee)
Clitoris (cla-TORE-us)
Enamel (EE-na-mull)
Female (fuh-MALL-ee)
Gonorrhea (gu-NO-ree-ah)
Lemon Jello (le-MON-juh-lo)
No Smoking (NAWS-mo king)
Orange Jello (or-AN-juh-lo)
Pajama (PAH-ja-mah)
Shithead (shaw-THAYD)
Syphilis (suh-PHYL-lis)