Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Just today I got an email that someone in our department had a baby and named it Alasdair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Antivehicular posted:

A high-school friend of mine just had a baby named Arianna. This isn't that bad in and of itself (apparently it's a real Italian name -- not that she's Italian, but, you know, still a real name), but "Arianna" was also the name of her original fanfiction character back in the day, who was (if I recall correctly) the time-traveling daughter of two B- or C-team X-Men. In a world with thousands upon thousands of good, uncommon names, do you really have to name a kid after some random fanfic character you wrote in 10th grade? :smith:

It could also be that she just really likes the name and used the name twice rather than specifically naming the kid after the character.

Some people pick out their kids names at a very young age. I really like Abigail, Meredith, and Jeremy for potential names if I have kids and I can imagine being a teenager and using those names for characters because screw it those are cool names that I like.