Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I worked in the school system and did sports scorebooks for several years.

My personal favorites are the sisters named after Guns n Roses songs. In case you want to try guess which ones, I'll spoiler it.

Patience and November Rain

Their brother's name was completely normal.

Starting at guard for the Trojans, #23, Ebony Butts. I confirmed that one before it was announced. She was a pretty good player.

This is Georgia Bulldog country, even though it's 200+ miles from UGA. That hasn't stopped one of the locals from naming his son Athens. Yes, it was for that reason.

A kid named Junior. No, not Dad's first name, Jr. Just Junior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Georgia named a county for Samuel Butts. As of last check, no business in the county used it as part of their name.

I graduated from high school with a Rocky Stone, Rocky being his legitimate first name. That may be an awesome name, though.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

My great-grandmother came across an unfamiliar word in a book and she thought it looked so pretty that it became the name of her first child. The word? Couturier. Great-grandma apparently had no idea how to say it, as it was pronounced within the family as Ka-tray-ah.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

OozieNelson posted:

Well, I saw this name in Wisconsin. Was this lady from Wisconsin as well?

There are probably quite a few children named Shaquille O'Neal [lastname]. There was one when I worked at a middle school in a state far from Wisconsin. He was a standard height kid with no interest in athletics and wore thick glasses. I don't think his mother saw that coming when she decided upon the name. If you notice high school athletics (and that's part of my job description), a ton of kids have the first name of Shaquille. Like there are a number of children named Prince who were born around 1984, Shaquille became a popular name about 18 years ago.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Hormones posted:

-Boy named Griffin

That's an incredibly common surname in my neck of the woods, so it isn't unusual to see it as a first name.

My grandfather's first name was Allison. I think it originated as a male name, but it sure wasn't a popular one. Outside of he and my great-grandfather, I've never encountered another. Both grandpa and his father went by their middle names.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

douche ex machina posted:

My boyfriend's name is Benjamine. When I first met him in college, I told him that when they put the sign on his door in the freshman dorm with his name on it that it was spelled wrong. But apparently he is the third Benjamine in his family. He also has an aunt Buffy, but this was ages before the television show.

But ages before Family Affair?

Less morbidly (because if you read about the actress who played that Buffy, you'll need it), Wonderful Terrific Monds (III!), but the story behind his name is much closer to awesome than terrible.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

Anyone notice an excess of recurring names lately?

I'm a sportswriter in a place dominated by prep sports. I mainly cover one team and sitting up in pressboxes, you get to know each other a little bit. So, it's become a joke with several of us as to how many football players are named Malik this year. My main team has three. They played a Malik last week and the week before. I know for sure in two weeks, there will be another Malik. Several of the state's prep stars this year are named Malik or a variation thereof. I have actually have had a coach tell me this year, "the Maliks are good."

Sure, football lends itself to a lot of duplicate names, but this is the first swarm of Maliks.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

As for males named female things, here's Christine Michael. Pronounced Kristen.

By coincidence, today's crime report in the local paper features a guy named Amy. Amy Jr., to be precise.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Imperialist Dog posted:

Hyacinth or Rose?

It's my sister, Violet, the one with the Mercedes, sauna and room for a pony.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Painter Charles Willson Peale (1741-1827) was featured on Antiques Roadshow. He named his son Titian. Two sons, actually. That was the worst of his themed names, but it had to have been awkward for children to know that yep, their daddy was a weird one.

By his first wife were born:

Margaret Jane
James Willson
Eleanore
Margaret Van Bordley
Raphaelle
Angelica Kauffman
Rembrandt
Titian Ramsay
Rubens
Sophonisba Angusciola
Rosalba Carriera

She died, so he married Elizabeth DePeyster. He started running low on male painters, so he switched to other important individuals.

Vandyke
Charles Linnaeus
Benjamin Franklin
Sybilla Miriam
Titian Ramsay (because the first one had died)
Elizabeth DePeyster

If you're missing some of the references, this site breaks them down. Every weird name except Charles Linnaeus and Benjamin Franklin were indeed involved with art in some way.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

bringmyfishback posted:

Ajax[/b] (Most people are going to think of the cleanser, face it.)

It's fun to go the Family Search website and type in any word as a first name, ask for an exact spelling and see how ridiculous you can get. For example, I just typed in Victrola. There were/are a handful of people named Victrola. Lucifer? Several of them, with an interesting example of a Louisiana family with sons named Lucifer and Heafen which I bet is a bastardized spelling of Heaven.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Caught the front end of a Discovery Channel show about multiple births and the names of quints were flashed on the screen: Ryder, Rustin, Kassidy, Kyndell and Kaydence.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Singer Vanessa Carlton named her daughter Sidney Aoibheann Carlton-McCauley. Any Irish can tell us how to say that middle name?

Even.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I had TLC on in the background and heard a promo for a new show. It's Duggars in musical form, right down to the 'J' names. Unlike the Duggars, this family is a tad more creative and so the roster includes Jedi and Jaeger.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Shithouse Dave posted:

Eleanor is a nice name, but Eleanor Rigby is a pretty lovely namesake! Let me know if she dies so I can at least show up to her funeral. Maxwell and his silver hammer is nearly as bad.

I knew of sisters named after Guns 'n' Roses songs: November Rain and Patience.

I used to life in the same city as this guy's office. I felt so sorry for his childhood.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Male Tears posted:

I went to college with a rich white girl with well educated parents named Cayman. Anyone know what the origin of that is as a girls' name?

It's unique!

I work in local media and I get to see rosters and sports winners and honor rolls quite regularly. One event over the summer featured a boy named Cayman. Another event featured someone named Jessica Hahn.

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 06:56 on Sep 1, 2015

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Little boy with the first name of Palin.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

In case there's someone who's never seen it, the Utah Baby Namer.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

You folks remember that child from a few years ago that had an obscene amount of 'y's in her name?

She now has a little brother.

quote:

Big sisters Khayleigh-Huntyr Madisyn and Kharringtyn-McKhynleigh Khaybryn are proud to announce the birth of their little brother, Kheestyn-McKhormyck Dallas

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I enjoy finding old genealogical records where parents picked the name of some random famous person to give to their kid.

A distant relative of mine has the first and middle names of George Washington. That seems OK, considering the greatness of Washington.

But how about the people who named their kid Rutherford Hayes? Or Millard Fillmore? And a surprising amount of children named for Eugene Debs.

Driving through a backwoods recently, I drove across a bridge named in honor of Alfred Tennyson [whatever the guy's last name was]. His parents weren't the only ones trying to sound educated. There were several children named Alfred Tennyson. Just as there are for Edgar Allen Poe.

And we can't limit this to Americans. There were a handful of children named Spencer Percival after the PM's assassination. Brits and Americans also seemed to like Benjamin Disraeli.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Toddlers and Tiaras just had an Alycesaundra.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mason Dixon was to be a groomsman in an area wedding.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

An ambulance-chasing lawyer named Hugh Morris has been running ads around here.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Male Tears posted:

In classes full of Aidens and Emmas, her kid could be the only Wanda. Or the only Dog.

Or the only Assie.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Kortne was featured on one of those Discovery true crimes things.

Courtney

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Spotted in youth sports roster listings for one event:
Macy
Maci
Macey
Masey
Macee

And one Aniston.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Aniston was on the roster of a youth sports team in this area.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Branynn appeared on my Facebook. I'm assuming his name is pronounced Brannen.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ashlee Ashley

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Teenage girl with the first name Hollywood.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sunshine89 posted:

Other than that one incidence, I have only ever seen Kirby as a last name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirby_Smart
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirby_Puckett

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

David Goliath Wright.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Axiem posted:

Here is a thread with a nice, large number of interesting names: https://twitter.com/petit_elefant/status/999404443345993728

That leads to the hashtag #utahnames.

There was a holiday thing a few years ago with parents/grandparents paying for baby pictures in a local publication.

There was a young boy named Palin. I'd put his birth year as around 2009.

The American South.
Sigh.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Woman charged with kidnapping two men in Murray County, blowtorch used

You might think I intended this for the weird news headline thread.

However, this is a story that keeps on giving, beginning with our suspect.

quote:

The caller said a man named James Hampton was being held "against his will" by a woman named Tapanga, who was Tapanga Summerrain Slaton.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

StandardToast posted:

TLC has yet another show about a family who just had a bunch of babies.

The sextuplets are:
Blu
Layke
Rawlings
Rayne
Tag
Rivers.
No, I don't know which are the boys and which are the girls.

Even better (or worse?), the three older brothers are Bridge, Sailor, and Wells.

Somehow the full names are even worse.

Blu Wellington
Layke Bryars
Tag Bricker
Rawlings McClaine
Rayne McCoy
Rivers McCall

The older kids are: Saylor Briggs and twins Wales Tucker and Bridge Ryder

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Luke Sky Walker has been arrested on a probation violation.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Attica

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Wikipedia led me to Dick Passwater.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

big dyke energy posted:

I actually agree, but what the gently caress, Taysom??

Taysom Hill.

(Who was apparently named for Taysom Rotary Park in Pocatello, Idaho.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I've had to look up an athletic team roster. There are 16 players. Three are named Riley.

There are three different spellings of Riley.