Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
My first name is Eamon. It's not terrible, but it's uncommon and apparently incredibly different to pronounce.

Also, there's a woman who's involved in state politics around here named Dudley Dudley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Silly Hippie posted:

This is basically exactly what I would have named myself at that age if I had been given the option. "Little Fatty Pancakes" was what I actually claimed I was naming my firstborn.

Two names for today: Seeana, pronounced Sienna, and Sequoyah. Sequoia is a pretty sweet name tbh, and she was about 6 feet tall, so.

FWIW, Sequoyah is an actual name, she probably wasn't named after the tree.

Edit: In fact, the trees were named after the person, who was illiterate but invented an alphabet for the Cherokee Language, which is still in use today. :eng101:

Beardless has a new favorite as of 19:21 on May 29, 2013

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Silly Hippie posted:

I actually knew this, my family is Cherokee. I guess it is a bit racist to assume she wasn't named after the person just because she was white. Oops.

Cool. And maybe she had a Cherokee ancestor, or her parents just thought it was a cool name.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

DemonDarkhorse posted:

Indalecia, nicknamed Indy.

What exactly is wrong with that name? Uncommon and hard to pronounce, sure, but it's not terrible, just unfamiliar.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

There's "1 or fewer" people in the US with my name! And only 1581 with my first name, and 2650 with my last name.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

VodeAndreas posted:

My new niece's middle name is Zelda but she gets some excuse for it by having a pair of German grandparents and a German surname.

(My brother in law is a MASSIVE Nintendo fan though, it was chosen exactly why you think it was)

Eh, Zelda is at least a real name that existed before the games, and they had the good sense to make that her middle name to boot.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I know a woman who named her son Aidan, or possibly Aiden. And as for common names, I knew a lot of Kates (And variations on it) in high school. Hell my mom told me that if I'd been a girl I would have been named Katherine. Instead I got saddled with Eamon, which is bizarrely difficult for a lot of people to pronounce, especially if they read it before I can tell them how to say it. And no, it's not made up.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

Ottawa has a realtor named Anita Hoare. And that would appear to be her married name :psyduck:

There's a politician in my neck of the woods named Dudley Dudley. She was apparently named Dudley after her grandmother or something, and then she married a guy with the last name "Dudley". :psyduck:

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Istari posted:

My parents were leaning towards Tolkien names as well. But my grandmother threatened to sever ties if they did. So instead of being named after an awesome character from an awesome series, I'm named after a saint :catholic:

:mad:

:rolleyes: Speaking as this thread's resident unusual-name-haver, it's not all it's cracked up to be. There's something to be said for names that people can actually pronounce when they read them. I mean, you don't have to name your kid John Smith, but something like Celebrimbor is a little out there. And there are some pretty wacky saint names to, by the way. There's anything from Abanoub to Michael to Zephaniah.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Snowy posted:

I met a young woman named Milady, which was pronounced as m'lady. Just addressing her by her name puts you beneath her. It was especially annoying since she had a generally lovely attitude and unsuccessfully tried to steal my position at work.

gently caress you 15 years after the fact, Milady.

Her parents must have been big fans of the Three Musketeers.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

In my school, having a name that could be pronounced was a guarantee of that.

It's worse when you have a difficult to pronounce name.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

A name that couldn't be pronounced, however, was unassailable. :v:

No, that's not true at all.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Ezekiel, though uncommon, is at least not something made up.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Singer Vanessa Carlton named her daughter Sidney Aoibheann Carlton-McCauley. Any Irish can tell us how to say that middle name?

At least it's her middle name that's weird, that's not as big a deal.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

There's a young guy where I work named Kale.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Niton posted:

There's a councilwoman in a nearby town by the name of Sunday F. Coward. I have no idea how you go into politics without changing that.

There was a politician in NH a while ago called Dudley Dudley. To make it even better it was a woman.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Please tell me she at least put someone through a table.

All I know about her is that one of uncles stole a bunch of her campaign signs when he was drunk in college.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

UltraVariant posted:

Seeing as how I have to shave for my summer job on Saturday, I decided to have the shittiest sideburns/mutton chop hybrid for a day.

Yes, but is your name terrible?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Stik3 posted:

Atticus.
Some Spartacus level poo poo right there.

It's probably from "To Kill a Mockingbird".

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Khazar-khum posted:

It's that magical season when all the campaign signs are out, so you can see whose lives were living hells. Thus far, my favorite is for a man whose surname is Lovingood.

Nothing can beat Dudley Dudley.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Istari posted:

I see this a lot, and find it really odd. Like, naming your child Amon instead of Eamon, or Aron instead of Aaron, isn't making anything easier, it's just forcing them to correct people on the spelling of their otherwise-relatively-easily-understood name.

Unless you're in Ireland, or maybe the UK, Eamon is nowhere near relatively easily understood. I have been dealing with people mispronouncing it for 27 years. At least here in the US, people always mispronounce it if they read it, or if I introduce myself, they can say it, but have no idea how to spell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

dirby posted:

There is apparently a law professor named Kermit Roosevelt.

He might be descended from Theodore himself, one of his sons was named Kermit.