Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

I read a piece for an audition about a girl who ended up having a kid with her cousin and named her Ennui because she thought it sounded pretty. It was fictional, as far as I'm aware, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if someone named their kid that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Oh, another I remembered. There was a Precious on my floor my freshman year of college, although she was QUITE the opposite. She had her cousin, cousin's baby, and cousin's baby-daddy living with her in her tiny-rear end dorm room. The baby had a name, but we only knew it as Pootie.

My dad had open heart surgery when I was 14 (he's fine) and he had a very short but very rotund nurse named Aquanet. You know, as in the hairspray. She had a high pitched voice that fit well with her name. Since he was pretty drugged up, he asked if he read her name right, or if it was Antoinette or something along those lines. She said that no, he hadn't read it wrong, that THAT is what her momma named her. Yes, I was there for it.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

bringmyfishback posted:

The site Utah Baby Names explores the horrors of Mormon babynamery.

The names and article are great but holy crap stay outta the comments. They start out great, with more names and the like, but there's a huge derail between a few members and it's a trainwreck.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

bringmyfishback posted:

I knew she was loving with me, hence the "awfully inconvenient" comment. Maybe she was just tired of explaining her name all the time. I don't blame her, frankly.

I wish I could remember exactly what her name was, though. I've been trying to recall it, but all I get is "T______;liyos."

My friend's name is very Polish, Grazyna, which just means Grace, but I remember being a kid and someone asking how to spell her name, yet again. She started out with "Graz" and just started naming off other letters til they figured out it was gibberish.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

My friend just had a baby boy and named him Malahkai Quynn. Yes, said as "Quinn". I'm under the impression the special snowflake spelling is from the mother and was a compromise for something far more biblical which is weird because neither of them are even slightly religious.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

bringmyfishback posted:

That's rather Roman of her. Also, the newest dumb kid name in the store: Craven!. I don't know if it's related, but the mother kept pronouncing leggings as "leggins."

Apparently that was the pronunciation of choice when it cames to wearing them back in the 90s, because my mom is still stuck on calling them "leggins".

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

My great grandma, who was apparently pretty loving awesome, was named Iona and married a man with the last name Cox. It's a little off, but still Iona Cox.

fake edit: Cox is a very common last name, thank you.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Not really all that terrible to me, but one of my mom's doctors is Dr. Lady Di. She's too old to be named after the actual Lady Diana but I giggle a little every time I go with her.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

I work at a women's clinic and we see all sorts of unusual names, but the one that has given me the most rage is "Tephany". I mean really. Come on now. Tephany? As if we don't have enough Tiffany/Tiffani's as there is already. She was in her early 20s, too. Please someone tell me it's a real name.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Just pulled a state insurance for a girl named A Dream. Her name was "Avream" in the schedule which I just assumed was something ethnic but no. A Dream.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Update: Now that I see her paperwork, her name is specifically "A'Dream". Her mom is a redneck.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Scheduled a Cinnamon today. She was super nice on the phone but I'm sure she could hear the disdain in my voice that I tried to hide.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Cinnamon update: her sister's name was ginger.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Lawfirms, man. Most people have normal names, then you get the hoity toity ones likes "Chauncey," but at one of the firms i take, there was a VIP with the last name of Doodlesack. Another firm has a Kristle with a note underneath of "same as crystal". It made me chuckle because all I could think about was gristle.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Oh man. There's a realtor sign across the street and her name is Juany Honeycutt.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Imperialist Dog posted:

Not sure if the spelling has to be exact but Dudelsack is the German word for bagpipe.

That... Doesn't make it less funny I think. I didn't personally get a call from her so I don't know spelling, but my super was disappointed that she wasn't with the firm anymore.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Got a partner at one of the firms I take named Brackett. Probably a family name or something, but his name fits his horrible personality.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

I know Sharon is a normal name, but I talked to a Sheron yesterday (IT for lawfirms) and she made me want to blow my goddamn brains out with her lack of common sense. She was probably in her 50s or 60s.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

OH so I know the given usernames/email addresses aren't names but they can make for some good ones, such as "S Hartman" (shartman) and a lady with the initials of FAG that we giggle about every time she calls.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Astrofig posted:

Today I met a Krystle and a Lurleina.

Krystle/kristle is the worst because all I can hear is "gristle"

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Overheard a coworker telling another co-worker a story about someone she knew with the last name of Orel, who then married someone with the last name of Annel. I'm having a hard time believing it's actually true, a la oranjelo/lemonjelo nonsense. I was glad she couldn't see me rolling my eyes so hard i went blind for a minute.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

There's a Tweety in our Hong Kong office but overall in disappointed in the normal names at my firm.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Just added a user with the last name of Limongello. For real. Not quite the typical stdh.txt of the brothers with the first names but I still giggled to myself.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

TLC has yet another show about a family who just had a bunch of babies.

The sextuplets are:
Blu
Layke
Rawlings
Rayne
Tag
Rivers.
No, I don't know which are the boys and which are the girls.

Even better (or worse?), the three older brothers are Bridge, Sailor, and Wells.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Somehow the full names are even worse.

Blu Wellington
Layke Bryars
Tag Bricker
Rawlings McClaine
Rayne McCoy
Rivers McCall

The older kids are: Saylor Briggs and twins Wales Tucker and Bridge Ryder

Oh NO. The gently caress is with all the mc-names (I also think those are the girls)? Blu Wellington sounds like a British meat dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Holly Berry is a good name.

Holly Berry also reminds me of a contractor at a company I worked for. Her name was Jolly. Jolly Wasselman, or Winkleman. Something like that.

We've got a cousin Jolly in our family. She's in her 70s. She's super sweet :3