Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
There was a cop in my hometown called Wayne King.

When I was a kid, I knew a girl called Rainbow Starfire, (this actually wasn't a particularly unusual name in my hometown).

Family friends named their twin daughters Stomoxys and Glossina after the twins in Barbarella, not realising that the characters were named after genera of blood-sucking fly (Glossina is the tsetse fly).

My 12-year-old cousin now goes by her middle name, because when she started preschool 8 years ago, there was already another girl there (in their class of around 15 kids) called Tigerlily.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Sep 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Quote is not edit.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Choco1980 posted:

I had a good friend in high school who was the first girl born in her generation to her family. They decided to name her after all the women of the previous two all at once in an acronym, so her name was Brrasie. Note the spelling, because most official organizations did not.

Pronunciation ?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

sweeperbravo posted:

Maybe the emphasis is on the "Brr," like "it's cold in here." But that just makes it sound like "Jurassic."

I was actually more curious about the 'asie' part. To me, the lack of double S would make it more an 'ayzy' or 'arzy' sound, rather than an 'assy' sound.

E: I've just realised that, for Americans, 'assy' isn't simply going to be a sound that rhymes with 'sassy'.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Choco1980 posted:

They...changed her last name when she was born?

I don't know about where you're from, but where I'm from, you don't 'change' a baby's surname; you give them a surname. Most parents choose to give their baby the surname of one/both parent(s), but it's just as easy to put a completely different name on the form.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

razorrozar posted:

I always assumed a baby in the US is automatically given the last name of the father, or mother if it's a single mother, but thinking about it now there are cases where the single mother gives the baby the last name of the father, or purported father, and as far as I know there's no legal hassle over it. Maybe it's the same way for giving the baby a different last name entirely. I never really thought about it.

As I said, I don't know about anywhere else. But I assume that most birth registration forms have fields for the child's name that go something like:
Child's name:
First:______________ Middle:________________ Surname:__________________

To me, it hardly makes sense for it to not be like this. Otherwise, it would be a serious pain for all those parents who give their kids hyphenated names.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I encountered someone today with the name Nor East. I thought I'd misheard until he spelt it.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

YourHeadaSplode414 posted:

I had a substitute teacher when I was a junior in high school who claimed that he had subbed for a teacher at another school named Ms. Boner. He said he had always wondered why she never changed her name.

Boner is probably an anglicised form of the name Böner. Which, for obvious reasons, is usually anglicised as Boehner or Boener.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Kyla is a not-uncommon name. I assume Kyler is a masculine (or just alternate) version.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Say Nothing posted:

Popular names seem to go in cycles. There were three girls called Lisa in my college chemistry class of about 30, it was literally 10% Lisas.
I noticed in the late 90s that there seemed to be an excessive number of boys named Caleb or Mitchell.

Anyone notice an excess of recurring names lately?

In high school, there was an absurd number of kids called Jess/Jesse/Jessie/Jessica. Same for Ben/Benjamin, and Matt/Matthew.
There were 3 girls called Ruby in my kindergarten class of 18 kids.
I know 3 guys, all aged 24-25, called Odin.
Ten years ago, of the 7 girls in my cousin's preschool class, 2 were called Tigerlily.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Beardless posted:

I know a woman who named her son Aidan, or possibly Aiden. And as for common names, I knew a lot of Kates (And variations on it) in high school. Hell my mom told me that if I'd been a girl I would have been named Katherine. Instead I got saddled with Eamon, which is bizarrely difficult for a lot of people to pronounce, especially if they read it before I can tell them how to say it. And no, it's not made up.

I know a girl called Aidan. I also knew two boys called Aidan (Aiden ?) in primary school; they were both arseholes.

I went to school with a boy called Eamon. It always confused me how many people pronounced it Ee-mon, rather than Ay-mon, no matter how many times he corrected them, despite the fact that it isn't that uncommon.

Yesterday, I was stuck in a queue behind a woman with a newborn. Someone else in the queue asked about his name and was told it was 'Leo'. I caught a glimpse of his birth certificate. Leo is short for Leodegrance.
Are Arthurian babynames a popular thing now ? Should I be anticipating seeing a bunch of Excaliburs and Gawaines popping up in the next few years ?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

bringmyfishback posted:

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but every Morgan I've ever met has been a complete twat.

I've only ever known male Morgans.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

bringmyfishback posted:

Oh, no, my previous comment was aimed at persons of both genders.

Well, both the male Morgans I've known were quite nice.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Just encountered a white couple who have named their very white son Teal'c.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Shithouse Dave posted:

I think that's a stargate reference. The character Teal'c was a black dude.

This.

jojoinnit posted:

So, Teal-see or Tilk? Te-alk?

Te-alk.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
You can hear someone from Poland pronounce it here:
http://www.forvo.com/word/adam_kszczot/#pl

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Today I processed paperwork for someone with the name La-a. I got really excited when I saw it.
But it turns out that her name is Laña (pronounced Lana; her parents were creative spellers), and our system replaces characters it can't read with a dash.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Spiderjelly posted:

the students are required to adopt English names.

If they're going to force people to adopt foreign names, the very least they could do is provide them with a book of baby names.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Crow Jane posted:

If my dad had his way, that would've been my name.

My mom put her foot down, so I'm named after Prince Valiant's wife instead.

My parents were leaning towards Tolkien names as well. But my grandmother threatened to sever ties if they did. So instead of being named after an awesome character from an awesome series, I'm named after a saint :catholic:

:mad:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Beardless posted:

:rolleyes: Speaking as this thread's resident unusual-name-haver, it's not all it's cracked up to be. There's something to be said for names that people can actually pronounce when they read them. I mean, you don't have to name your kid John Smith, but something like Celebrimbor is a little out there. And there are some pretty wacky saint names to, by the way. There's anything from Abanoub to Michael to Zephaniah.

Yeah, but I take offence at the very fact that I'm named after someone who is only known because they supposedly (read: didn't) perform miracles. It's crap, and it makes me quite angry.

And, despite the fact that my name isn't that uncommon, I still had to deal with 12 years of substitute teachers mispronouncing it, and having to spell it out 5 times before people get it right (and they still spell it wrong as often as not).

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Lotish posted:

Male or Unisex names becoming female is pretty common (like Shannon or Ashley) but rarely go the other way.

I will never stop giggling every time I hear of men (or boys) called Kelly and Dana. In Australia, they are both very much girls' names. Dana isn't so popular at the moment, but Kelly is, and it is very feminine.

For content: I'm working for a couple who are not native English speakers, but who are now living in an English-speaking country. They have a young daughter called Tinea (pronounced ti-nay-ah). I'm still contemplating the best way to explain to them that tinea is a gross-looking skin disease.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Someone on Facebook has just announced the birth of their son, Starcrow. I sure hope the poor kid likes anime.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

sweeperbravo posted:

Breona, maybe? And his hair looks like it was inspired by Tetris.

He looks like a character from a cartoon who has obliviously walked through a house of knives (or some heavy industrial machinery), and come out completely unscathed except for his hair.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

DizzyBum posted:

"...oh, you've met those two, they're the ones that named their kid Tyson Rex, so they could call him T-Rex..."

On the one hand, I think it's a bad idea to name your kid something to try to force a certain nickname, but on the other hand, that is a cool nickname.

It may be a cool nickname, but at my primary school, having a name that rhymed with 'sex' was a surefire guarantee of 6 years of teasing.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Say Nothing posted:

Suk is Korean.
I wonder if the fans chanted this guy's name?

It's pronounced like 'sook', though, not 'suck'.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

-Emerald (I guess this isn't any different than Ruby or Pearl)

Where I'm from (in Australia), Emerald is not an uncommon girl's name. Pearl, on the other hand, is practically unheard of in the area where I grew (and have subsequently lived; I have never met a single person called Pearl).

I did, however, grow up with a boy called Emerald (which was very uncommon), who had an older brother called Juno (named, I assume, after the Roman Queen of the heavens).

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Dec 16, 2013

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

sweeperbravo posted:

Hi, three-letter-last-name buddy! I'm used to automatically spelling mine as well. "What's your name?" "Sweeper Poo P-O-O" cue a moments confusion where they think my last name is Poopeeohoh.

Please let no one have that last word as their real last name.

My surname is 20+ letters. I say it, then begin spelling it, and only get about 3 letters in before the other person just hands me a piece of paper and says 'it's probably easier if you just write it down'.
Which I don't mind, because it is a hell of a lot easier if I just write it.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

stubblyhead posted:

My sister's two kids were both delivered by Dr. Bush. When I was a kid we lived across the street from a dermatologist named Dr. Skinner.

My cousins' dentist is called Dr Dre.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Have just met someone with twin daughters named Prague and Pagan.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

made of bees posted:

How did they pronounce "Prague"?

Like the city.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I had a classmate in middle and high school who had her name legally changed when she was pretty little, like 6 or 7, from Latice to Takiyah (not sure on the spelling because I can't remember, don't have my yearbook, and she's got herself listed on Facebook under a nickname). I think that she said her mom wanted a more Afrocentric name.

I had a classmate in primary school whose surname was legally changed when he was about 10 (from his father's surname to his mother's).

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

A Meat posted:

Gal translates into 'wave'

I grew up with a girl called Wave. She was great. Her younger brother had a really normal name; David or Daniel or something.

flakeloaf posted:

The real one would've been about fifteen, so just bad luck on his part.

Michael Jackson was well and truly famous by the time he was 15; your colleagues parents were either oblivious, fans, or jerks.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Haruharuharuko posted:

Her maiden name was Shithouse but her first marriage it was Latrine.

Well, I guess I know which movie I'm watching tonight (for the millionth time).

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Met a couple today with an adorable baby daughter, who they decided to name after the mother's maiden name, Boyle. Boyla. Had them spell it for me just to be sure. Poor kid.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Choco1980 posted:

I'm assuming this kid is currently in training for when he finally becomes a man and sets off to fight wizards with his cold steel?

Wizards ? No way. This kid's gonna be given a shield and a helmet and sent off in a longship.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

stubblyhead posted:

I just remembered that years ago my dad had a TA named Rebel.

I know a set of quintuplets (in their mid-20s now) called Rebel (female), Rocket (female), Riley (female), Rider (male), and Racer (male).
They're all really nice, and (despite apparently having ludicrously poor taste) so are their parents.

Edit: Rebel, Rocket, and Racer are also the names of 3 of Robert Rodriguez's children.

skrapp mettle posted:

My name is Jazz.

I went to school with a boy called Jayz (or possibly Jayze), pronounced Jazz.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 12:45 on Feb 18, 2014

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
My brother was named after a rockstar. Awesome.
My parents got my name from the manufacturer's stamp on a dinnerware set. Not awesome.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

My son's first name is a great historical general, and his middle name is the greatest swordsman to ever serve the family Atreides.

I really hope your son's name is Hannibal Duncan.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Beat me to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Someone I know has just given their son the middle name Rookie. Poor kid is going to have such an inferiority complex.

And about 3 years ago, they named their oldest son Paol, and gave him a middle name beginning with O so that his initials are PAOL. Which is a perfectly respectable name. Except they pronounce it pay-ol, which in an Australian accent, sounds like 'pale'. Apparently they didn't realise it was a real name.