Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
When my oldest daughter was in kindergarten she had a friend called Dasani and when I mispronounced it like the water her mom went into a tirade. Apparently I was supposed to know it was pronounced "Dass-ah-knee". I understand the desire to be unique (I have a daughter named Eowyn) but don't get butthurt when people misunderstand how it's said!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Just thought of another one from my old state. There was a young black guy in my neighborhood named Brittish George (with the two "t"'s)and his daughter's name was Brittanica.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
For all of you confused about the name Eowyn: it's an old English name, and is most commonly associated with the Lord of the Rings. Remember the blonde chick that killed the Witch King at the end? That was Eowyn. We named her that because my husband and I met at an oscar party the year Return of the King swept the awards. We were both there for lotr, so it's why we met.

My husband just told me he teaches a student named Raven. This wouldn't be noteworthy except that Raven is a boy. Should have just named him "Target".

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
There's a politician in my home state named Twinkle Andress. She went to school with my ex-husband, so she'd be about 50 now. Grandma Twinkle.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
My middle name is Willene. That isn't so bad until you think about how a little kid might say it. When I was about 4 I said my name (Christy Willene) as "Crissy Ween". That caused my family members to give me the nickname "Weeny" until I was an adult, at which time I graduated into "GreatWeen". It's now my twitter name, so I've owned it, but those first 18 or so years were a bitch.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I delivered food to a Hussein Rodriguez the other day.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I delivered to a guy named Geronimo Gonzalez yesterday.
It's an awesome name and he was really nice.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Some of the names in my family:
Cleofus
Kermit
Verbeena
Ilsie and Elsie (twins, Elsie being a boy.)
Tea Estelle (male)
Barley (Tea's brother)
Uin
Ival
Why yes, one side of my mom's family were from the Ozarks, why do you ask?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Why do people who have a shitload of kids always give them the worst names?

Content: Juandrea

A large number of them are Mormons and Mormons just have this thing for weird names.
Others have 3 kids with normal names, get a divorce, then get remarried to a fellow nerd they met at the Oscar party for ROTK and name their next kid Eowyn.
I still love her name. At least it's not Rayghn or Karshtynn.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I had a customer named Druthers *Last name omitted* yesterday. I've also had (first names unless specified):

Minix
Vixley
Turncoat (last name)
Roobei (pronounced Ruby)
Hugeo (Pronounced Hew-sho)
Minge (white American woman, so not a foreign translation mistake)

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I just realised my name, while perfectly average, is also a terrible name.
My mom and family were sure I was a boy, so they had a boy name chosen. Well, I was a girl. So she was stuck trying to find a name for me. A lady in the hospital had let her borrow a book so she named me after the main character.
She named me Christy.
I'm Jewish.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
The Christy Huddleston connection for sure is weird but the strange part is giving a Jewish kid the name of the founder of Christianity. Because Christy literally means Christ-Like.
It would be like a white redneck kid named Mohammad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I once knew a guy called Brittish (spelling is correct). He was a very tall American man who had no connection whatsoever to the UK.
His daughter's name was Brittanica.