Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Hammer Bro. posted:

As for making card games, last year I came up with a card game that I was extremely happy with in terms of single-player engagement (https://www.strangehillgames.com/dump/AcePilot.html if anyone cares to see). I still haven't come up with multiplayer rules to my satisfaction, though I'm toying around with the idea of making a digital version that does digital-specific things like boss battles or something; I obviously haven't gotten that far.

This was rad to play on stream last year for The Odds Are Good Jam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contentato
Jan 19, 2023

yay [short tooting]

Hammer Bro. posted:

Looks great!

Makes me think it's a single player game (Solo), evocative of Solitaire (cards), that it will be somewhat challenging (reaper), but also that it's goofy and lighthearted (art style).

Which actually I've got a long flight coming up. Maybe I'll put it on my phone just in case.

Wow, your read of the intent behind the images is dead on. I'm happy with that. And I can personally vouch for it being great on long flights!

Hammer Bro. posted:

I'll also add that until playing it on my phone, I had always read Solquence as Soloquence.

And I feel like I ought to be able to make a straight with King, Ace, 2.

As for making card games, last year I came up with a card game that I was extremely happy with in terms of single-player engagement (https://www.strangehillgames.com/dump/AcePilot.html if anyone cares to see). I still haven't come up with multiplayer rules to my satisfaction, though I'm toying around with the idea of making a digital version that does digital-specific things like boss battles or something; I obviously haven't gotten that far.

But I've been tempted more than once to make a self-training AI for card-style games using evolutionary algorithms that start off making random plays until they determine which plays are more likely to be good in which contexts.

In the case of a deck-builder it would only have to train against the player's current deck, and common loadouts could be cached.

It's the kind of thing I my gut tells me is feasible on modern computers and my brains tell me it's science time but my wisdom, wherever that resides, tells me to make a good (multiplayer) card game first.

Yeah, that's the most common feedback, that aces should be low (and that you could use them to wrap around kings to twos). I'm going to keep saying it seems well balanced in terms of difficulty for now, but if I hear this enough I may just cave in.

That game looks pretty complex, it seems like it would work well digitally with all the math involved. Nothing wrong with a good single player digital card game, I always say :v:

KillHour posted:

I saw this in thumbnail on my phone and I couldn't read the text until I made it bigger, which tells me you need to increase the contrast there.

Ah. Solid point, I should make the text a little brighter, since I made the background a bit darker. I can see how it would get washed out.

Your Computer posted:

i've got another friend who's been thinking about making a card game and now i'm thinking about making a card game too. is this the card game season? :iiam:

it got me thinking about something - how do you actually go about designing ai competitors for things like card games where there's a lot of luck/chance involved? i was also looking recently for some quick basic card games to play on my phone ( :corsair: ) and noticed that the majority just have online play, presumably because it takes effort to make ai opponents. i ended up not getting any because they were all completely ad-ridden as well but my takeaway was that i want to learn more about card game ai :v:

If its card game season then I'm right where I need to be

I can totally recommend a single player offline game for you :v:

edit: I maintain that while Solquence eventually is unwinnable, the strategy gets pretty deep the further along you go. Someone's made it almost to level 350 which is bonkers considering the difficulty curve

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Contentato posted:

lmao i feel like an rear end in a top hat now i looked at the itch.io page but didn't realize there are just straight up phone versions :pram: awesome!

Contentato
Jan 19, 2023

yay [short tooting]

Your Computer posted:

lmao i feel like an rear end in a top hat now i looked at the itch.io page but didn't realize there are just straight up phone versions :pram: awesome!

Yeah! Android *and* iOS. I went all out

Hope you like it :3:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Hammer Bro. posted:

But I've been tempted more than once to make a self-training AI for card-style games using evolutionary algorithms that start off making random plays until they determine which plays are more likely to be good in which contexts.

In the case of a deck-builder it would only have to train against the player's current deck, and common loadouts could be cached.

If you haven't encountered it previously, I've often seen the "Keldon AI" for the card game Race for the Galaxy held up as an excellent benchmark (and perhaps case study) for a card game automated opponent. The eponymous creator Keldon Jones used neural nets for this starting well over a decade ago (so you probably don't have to worry about modern computational capacity!), and has discussed his approach and experiences several times in the years since.

His site with release notes (spanning 2009 through 2014) and his latest source code as well as precompiled free binaries: http://keldon.net/rftg/

The github repo for the project, as subsequently updated by (at least) two others: https://github.com/bnordli/rftg

Some discussion on a BoardGameGeek forums thread, which includes a number of helpful links: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1900766/can-someone-please-explain-or-speculate-how-keldon

Those helpful links include a quote of a prior explanation by Jones, and a link by the designer of RftG itself (Tom Lehmann) to a interview with Mr Jones, which is hosted at: https://issuu.com/gamenitemagazine/docs/game_nite_magazine_issue_16/34

quote:

It's the kind of thing I my gut tells me is feasible on modern computers and my brains tell me it's science time but my wisdom, wherever that resides, tells me to make a good (multiplayer) card game first.
relatable content

Speaking of "making a good multiplayer card game" though, this talk by Lehman on his process while making it is quite fantastic too!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcyyeAww2wc

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Your Computer posted:

oh wow, that's fantastic! maybe i should look to something in this direction! i've been thinking about what kinds of card games are enjoyable diversions as a single player and while i really enjoy the concept of solitaire/patience i really hate how they're often completely unwinnable from the start (or made unwinnable through moves you made which you had no way of knowing made the game unwinnable). i like puzzle-style games a lot where you can always "solve" whichever hand you are dealt but i'm also fine with just playing for score. it's the unwinnable aspect that annoys me :shobon:

You may also want to look into Regicide, which was a heavy inspiration and honestly is one of my favorite games to play these days. ~15 minutes, hard, co-op, standard deck of cards. Instructions freely available.

Dieting Hippo posted:

This was rad to play on stream last year for The Odds Are Good Jam!

Heck yeah, thanks! I've got to say that was by far the most positive feedback I've ever received from a game I've jammed. I was equally jazzed when you jumped to the higher challenge ratings at random and still found a solution.

Contentato posted:

Yeah, that's the most common feedback, that aces should be low (and that you could use them to wrap around kings to twos). I'm going to keep saying it seems well balanced in terms of difficulty for now, but if I hear this enough I may just cave in.

That game looks pretty complex, it seems like it would work well digitally with all the math involved. Nothing wrong with a good single player digital card game, I always say :v:

edit: I maintain that while Solquence eventually is unwinnable, the strategy gets pretty deep the further along you go. Someone's made it almost to level 350 which is bonkers considering the difficulty curve

I haven't played too much yet, but I feel like the degenerate strategy is to maintain one row per suit and let them clear out by flushes.

Sure you slowly accumulate reaper cards unless you get lucky (haven't done the math there), but it'd take 30 rounds or so (I forget the grid size) before those reapers even start to impact you.

It's possible more strategy results in more success but it's not clear that more strategy is needed until the board becomes tight, which makes me worry that without some start-on-level-20 mechanism the early game might become tedious.

Also if I were trying to play optimally I'd want a little pop-up list of either all the cards that have been dealt in the deck or, more useful, all cards which remain in the deck. It's not secret knowledge, but card counting does not spark joy.

Grace Baiting posted:

If you haven't encountered it previously, I've often seen the "Keldon AI" for the card game Race for the Galaxy held up as an excellent benchmark (and perhaps case study) for a card game automated opponent.

I'm gonna quote that For Later (TM) because that's not immediately relevant to what I am / should be working on gamedev wise but I find stuff like that really cool and I've actually had Race for the Galaxy sitting around opened but unused for a year or so now; don't end up with too much dedicated sitting social game time these days.

Also awesome that he's been trying to share his findings.

Contentato
Jan 19, 2023

yay [short tooting]

Hammer Bro. posted:

I haven't played too much yet, but I feel like the degenerate strategy is to maintain one row per suit and let them clear out by flushes.

Sure you slowly accumulate reaper cards unless you get lucky (haven't done the math there), but it'd take 30 rounds or so (I forget the grid size) before those reapers even start to impact you.

It's possible more strategy results in more success but it's not clear that more strategy is needed until the board becomes tight, which makes me worry that without some start-on-level-20 mechanism the early game might become tedious.

Also if I were trying to play optimally I'd want a little pop-up list of either all the cards that have been dealt in the deck or, more useful, all cards which remain in the deck. It's not secret knowledge, but card counting does not spark joy.

Yeah, actually it starts at level 10 :v:

On a failed clear, you get a death card, and one of your cards is randomly placed on the board for you. The further you go, the more cards get scattered, so in the hundreds, having too many deaths on board could mean a penalty fills just about every space. It's also how I dealt with flushes - you can do that fairly easily until then, but that's where it starts to break down. I do love that you're thinking about the strategy at this level though! :love:

As far as a card list, I did go with the requests to add a counter for how many were in the stack, I don't know about how fun being able to pull up an exact list would be ultimately. I can see the value in that kind of onscreen hint for a game like MTG, and I get that some people can count cards... I don't know though. I don't immediately discount any suggestion, and I'll look into it. Thanks for playing my game!

Contentato fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 10, 2024

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Contentato posted:

As far as a card list, I did go with the requests to add a counter for how many were in the stack, I don't know about how fun being able to pull up an exact list would be ultimately. I can see the value in that kind of onscreen hint for a game like MTG, and I get that some people can count cards... I don't know though. I don't immediately discount any suggestion, and I'll look into it. Thanks for playing my game!

I find the most compelling kind of games are the ones where I get to make an informed decision. Not necessarily with perfect information about the outcome, but with enough information that it's a meaningful decision, not just an arbitrary choice.

If I draw a 4 of Clubs the first things I'm going to want to know are how many other 4s are remaining in the deck, followed by how many 5s/6s, and maybe if I'm desperate how many clubs. At present I can either keep track of that information manually, by having to remember which cards have already been played but removed from the board then subtracting that from a full deck, or I can make my choice without that information, in which case my number of meaningful decision points are diminished.

Currently I choose the latter approach, because I'm really not interested in remembering the state of used cards, especially when that's going to blur together between rounds. But that means all I decide between when I play is what best fits the current board, not so much which future boards are more likely to complement that play. So it actually ends up being a less fun experience not having easy access to information that's been given to me but then taken away (which cards have been played thus far, though really that's just a proxy for which cards remain in the deck).

One of the things that the new MtG client (Arena) does great is that if a card is ever revealed to you (and not shuffled or otherwise obscured), it remains revealed. If you know a card is in their hand you can now see it in their hand. If it gets placed on the bottom of their deck then it shows up if you want to dig through their deck (or the game goes long and it's now on top of their deck). But they take away the burden of memory (which I and at the least their devs consider unfun) that way you can focus on what is fun: making meaningful decisions based on the information you've been given. Even if you received that information minutes ago and forgot the specifics in details which have revealed since.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

Yeah low resolution is great if you want everything to be pixel-perfect.

Unfortunately sometimes one wants to have UIs / HUD stuff at a higher resolution for readability's sake.

It's been a few years since I've worked in that space, but from the changelogs I think Godot has some project options for trying to snap everything to whole-pixel coordinates which might be of use, though from bug reports I don't think pixel-perfect 2D is as out-of-the-box easy as it should be.

Unless you upscale a low-resolution viewport.

That snapping option was one of the things that caused me problems. It appears to work entirely by rounding down. When my character ran into a wall on the left, it'd appear right up on the wall. When running into a wall on the right, it'd appear a pixel away from the wall.

I haven't done UI yet, but my intention is to use a lowres SubViewPort and do UI at native res.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Been on this crazy project for over a year now and the time has come to start getting some outside looks into it, as absolutely terrifying as this is.

*screams in paper bag, forgetting to breath*

If you've somehow ever wanted to play a mix of Crime Fighter, Uplink and Hypnospace Outlaw then I might be working on something just for you!

First look at the game, early but in-engine footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fGNZMEkAls

Closer look at the game (with pictures!):

https://www.patreon.com/collection/311946

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bronze Fonz posted:

Been on this crazy project for over a year now and the time has come to start getting some outside looks into it, as absolutely terrifying as this is.

*screams in paper bag, forgetting to breath*

If you've somehow ever wanted to play a mix of Crime Fighter, Uplink and Hypnospace Outlaw then I might be working on something just for you!

First look at the game, early but in-engine footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fGNZMEkAls

Closer look at the game (with pictures!):

https://www.patreon.com/collection/311946

This looks sick as gently caress

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Yeah that looks awesome I will play it a lot.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

drat. That looks loving awesome. Love the drop shot into the hacking basement.

Contentato
Jan 19, 2023

yay [short tooting]

Hammer Bro. posted:

I find the most compelling kind of games are the ones where I get to make an informed decision. Not necessarily with perfect information about the outcome, but with enough information that it's a meaningful decision, not just an arbitrary choice.

I hear what you're saying and it makes sense. I put it on my list - I really do appreciate the feedback!

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEcok3Ibpyo

Working on an explainer for my game. I might replace the voiceover but any feedback is appreciated. The game audio might also be out of sync, but that could be my wireless earbuds.

:aaaaa: immediately subbed. Dope

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
woah Mega Knockdown makes me think of BattleCON. That's pretty neat.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Spent a little time this week doing zombie things.. Playing RE2 and 4 has been reminding me how decent zombie mechanics work.

https://x.com/Shoehead_art/status/1745841655360495776?s=20

The only thing wrong with this is that they fall over very randomly and I want it to be.. semi consistent.. Maybe some sort of modifier that increases every time you hit em or something.

I'm going to revamp their attack to make them kind of hustle over to you first. Just a distance closer. And after a nasty variant that will free their arms after you hurt them who will do grabs on you. After that it'll all have to be placement.

Its funny to think that something like RE 1 and 2 were so tense and iconic with such small rosters.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Shoehead posted:

Spent a little time this week doing zombie things.. Playing RE2 and 4 has been reminding me how decent zombie mechanics work.

The only thing wrong with this is that they fall over very randomly and I want it to be.. semi consistent.. Maybe some sort of modifier that increases every time you hit em or something.

I'm going to revamp their attack to make them kind of hustle over to you first. Just a distance closer. And after a nasty variant that will free their arms after you hurt them who will do grabs on you. After that it'll all have to be placement.

Its funny to think that something like RE 1 and 2 were so tense and iconic with such small rosters.

If you want it consistent but still somewhat random , I'd probably suggest going with a stun gauge(doesn't have to be visible) but have each shot do a semi random amount, rather than each shot having a chance of dropping them. For example , they always fall when stun>=100 , a basic pistol shot does, 17-40 stun, so they always fall after 6 shots, but sometimes it only takes 3. this also means you can have crits or headshots do more if you want.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah that could plug nicely into how I handle them flinching.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Revitalized posted:

woah Mega Knockdown makes me think of BattleCON. That's pretty neat.

There are a few similarities in that players are on a grid and choose a pair of actions every turn. It started as a card game too. Though the interactions are a lot more "fighting game-y" than "card game-y" and you're not managing a hand or anything, your available actions are always the same, but their valuation changes a lot based on spacing, advantage, player tendencies, etc.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.
I've been working on this game for about 3 years now and I just BIRTHED it yesterday.
The launch went smoother than I thought. I can finally afford to upgrade my SA account ;)

Enjoy! Good night goons. I'm taking it easy for a bit!

https://twitter.com/TheCrystalStory/status/1745959342505934937

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Congrats on the launch!

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Dieting Hippo posted:

Congrats on the launch!

Thank you so, so, much!
I can finally take a nap! :D

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Shoehead posted:

I love this.
You make such awesome stuff, Shoehead. :)

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

bredfrown posted:

Thank you so, so, much!
I can finally take a nap! :D

Congratulations!

Also, there might be some settings I'd love to see in regards to photo-sensitivity, but I'll let you lie down and sleep for a week or two first. You deserve it.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

bredfrown posted:

I've been working on this game for about 3 years now and I just BIRTHED it yesterday.
The launch went smoother than I thought. I can finally afford to upgrade my SA account ;)

Looks awesome, congrats!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

bredfrown posted:

I love this.
You make such awesome stuff, Shoehead. :)

Thank you very much, and congrats on release!! :neckbeard:

Got some camera poo poo working today, camera stuff is my big bugbear so I'm glad this at least works well
https://x.com/Shoehead_art/status/1746554335742304263?s=20

Now that's done I have to sort out vertical movement and I honestly have no idea what best practice is for vertical behaviour

Contentato
Jan 19, 2023

yay [short tooting]

bredfrown posted:

Wow. 3 years. Congratulations! It looks great! :toot:

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

That camera is looking great, Shoehead :)

Thank y'all so much! I'm getting a head start on bug fixes and balancing some stuff, but I'm chilling otherwise. B)

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

SerthVarnee posted:

Congratulations!

Also, there might be some settings I'd love to see in regards to photo-sensitivity, but I'll let you lie down and sleep for a week or two first. You deserve it.

It's on my docket ;)
I plan on revising the effects for this case, and will be adding it to the options menu along with controller mapping and few other things.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

bredfrown posted:

Congrats on the Gamesradar pickup, too!
https://www.gamesradar.com/2024s-jrpg-season-kicks-off-with-this-excellent-snes-inspired-genre-mash-up-that-no-one-saw-coming/

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Oh drat, I didn't even see this! lmao
I've been in bugfix land today, but this is absolutely nuts. I wasn't expecting this at all!

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

bredfrown posted:

Oh drat, I didn't even see this! lmao
I've been in bugfix land today, but this is absolutely nuts. I wasn't expecting this at all!

Congrats and it's well deserved!

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Much appreciated! B)
I'm about to release a big 'ol bugfix update tomorrow morning, lol!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yeah, congratulations! Your game is all over the net now. It looks really cool, I love the Earthboundy vibes.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Congratulations! Looks sweet

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

bredfrown posted:

Congrats that's awesome :)

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Congrats that's awesome :)

Thanks, A LOVELY LAD B)

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I'm going to be in the market for a laptop within the next couple months. Primary use will be general daily internetting, but I want something that can potentially, in the future, do some light to moderate game development. (I'm not going to be making a 3D AAA powerhouse or anything)

Not necessarily looking for a specific recommendation, but are there things I should look out for? Will I be waiting forever for things to compile if I don't have a beefy processor, ridiculous amount of RAM, and fast SSD or is budget equipment now generally fast enough nowadays that I won't really have issues?

I do a ton of coding for work but all of that compiles on a crazily specced remote workstation so I have absolutely no perspective on what is necessary nowadays.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Memory and CPU speed are going to be your primary concerns. You really want enough memory to hold your entire project in memory, especially if you're working with Unreal Engine. When I dropped from 64GB to 32GB of RAM, my compilation times in UE went up by something like a factor of 3. Even in other engines, you want to minimize your iteration time. While working on Waves of Steel (in Unity, with 32GB of RAM), it typically took me 30-45 seconds to recompile the game and then get back into play mode, and that was really tedious. I was never really able to bring that number down to my satisfaction; Unity just took a long time to link and to get into play mode.