Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Been working on a virtual chicken pen where you can feed animals, and something happened

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Mercury_Storm posted:

Been working on a virtual chicken pen where you can feed animals, and something happened

YOU ARE PRIVY TO A GREAT BECOMING, BUT YOU RECOGNIZE NOTHING.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
An important thing to recognize re: Noita is that each zone has a largely separate enemy set. It's not one of those games where you can potentially (with vanishingly small odds) spawn a level-99 enemy type in a level-1 zone. Mind you, I don't know how many games actually work that way any more... it's a staple of oldschool roguelikes, but I feel like most games these days try to have stricter theming, and would rather scale an enemy's stats to fit the zone than they would pull an appropriately-leveled enemy from elsewhere.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Mercury_Storm posted:

your chicken has evolved into Weird Pelican!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Today I learned that you can right-click on a Color constructor in Godot's script editor and insert the values via a color picker. It's beautiful. It's gonna save me so much time.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Whoa.

I usually just use a predefined constant (Color.GOLD or so) and pick from the autocomplete list but I'm gonna keep that in mind.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

anatomi posted:

Today I learned that you can right-click on a Color constructor in Godot's script editor and insert the values via a color picker. It's beautiful. It's gonna save me so much time.

i just switched to Godot so this is helpful

one of my friends is also developing a game and he's a lot more experienced than i am so i am very excited

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Looks like Valheim's record for feedback to patch turnaround time is being either contested out straight up beaten by Tekken 8.

From the time where I recorded a review of the demo version to the patch fixing not just to the finished game but also the demo, a whopping 7 days passed. So that's a new record right there.
However, it can't be that review's accomplishment since we never aired it until yesterday. So it depends on the amount of extra days of feedback they'd gotten.

Still insanely impressive for a game of that scope and complexity to have a turnaround time in fractions of a month.

And since I'm ranting about it anyways, I'm just gonna do some self-promo while it is on topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zQUxIhXYVg

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all
Working on something for a future game. Don't wanna talk about it much yet but this is what we have so far:

(I'm aware the posters are copyrighted, they are placeholders :) )

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Evil Trout posted:

Working on something for a future game. Don't wanna talk about it much yet but this is what we have so far:

Whatever it is, it looks cool!

Since my last post, I decided to make the switch from Pygame to Gamemaker. I've been working on learning the new syntax and shortcuts, so I don't have much to show for it yet. You can sign players and click on them on the bench, but you can't assign them to the lineup yet.

https://imgur.com/eHXnVN6.mp4

But I have ALSO decided to pull back on my scope (which I guess is always a good thing) and focus on a specific theme! Instead of just being a modern hockey sim and letting you choose ALL of the options, I think I want to focus on the pre-/early-NHL days. As a hockey fan, I think the early 1900s were a fascinating time, when there were many competing amateur, semi-pro, and pro leagues with 3-6 teams each sprinkled throughout the US and Canada. I could see it being not a pure sim-only, but with story-type decision/event popups, although I'm not sure if I want to go in that direction. Pick a region, set your rules, try to keep your league alive, etc.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.

Evil Trout posted:

(I'm aware the posters are copyrighted, they are placeholders :) )

I'm excited to see what this will be! Looks cool. B)

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.

Brettbot posted:

Whatever it is, it looks cool!

Since my last post, I decided to make the switch from Pygame to Gamemaker. I've been working on learning the new syntax and shortcuts, so I don't have much to show for it yet. You can sign players and click on them on the bench, but you can't assign them to the lineup yet.

https://imgur.com/eHXnVN6.mp4

But I have ALSO decided to pull back on my scope (which I guess is always a good thing) and focus on a specific theme! Instead of just being a modern hockey sim and letting you choose ALL of the options, I think I want to focus on the pre-/early-NHL days. As a hockey fan, I think the early 1900s were a fascinating time, when there were many competing amateur, semi-pro, and pro leagues with 3-6 teams each sprinkled throughout the US and Canada. I could see it being not a pure sim-only, but with story-type decision/event popups, although I'm not sure if I want to go in that direction. Pick a region, set your rules, try to keep your league alive, etc.

I've been using GameMaker for the past 6 years and it is so rad. Just about anything I can think of doing in 2D I can.

You might find yourself increasing your scope later on the more you learn how to use it. ;) Taking it bit-by-bit and learning it is the best!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So Dave the Diver is two complimentary games, which loops between the two modes at a regular cadence

I guess jrpgs do this too, kind of going between over world/dungeon crawling, and the fight/monster encounter sequence

Is there a term for this design style, or, what should I be googling for

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Hadlock posted:

So Dave the Diver is two complimentary games, which loops between the two modes at a regular cadence

I guess jrpgs do this too, kind of going between over world/dungeon crawling, and the fight/monster encounter sequence

Is it the loop or the clearly different modes, that you are after? Most games have a Core Gameplay Loop, where you are doing different things as part of the experience. For a dungeoncrawler or JRPG it might be Explore-> Combat -> puzzle- >repeat. In a survival game it might be explore -> scavage -> basebuilding. The only thing that separates a basic JRPGis that the combat mode is very clearly different visually , but the same is true for many western RPGs as well, just without the camera change. Action Rpgs, like Dark Souls or Skyrim generally keep you in the same mode, but the loop is still there. I don't know if there a common word for the different modes, I've seen it called "Modal" in some places but not with any real universality. It might also just be called a genre mashup.

Hel fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 28, 2024

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Dave i specifically think of “harvest & consumption” games where you have a harvest game and… a consumption game which feeds back into the harvest game.

Kind of like an extraction game but without the stress of losing everything. It’s a design loop i really want to put my own spin on one day but i’ve got to actually make something first… anything!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Made it so enemies burn now!

https://x.com/Shoehead_art/status/1751599173827195092?s=20

I'm thinking if I make her lighter the weapon and the can her ammo it will work with my ammo+weapon issue. Atm it's both and the system I have in place is NOT liking it. I think I should be ok when I do grenades later because they are single use, we'll see when/if I get there.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Hadlock posted:

the berlin interpretation uses "modal", as in "roguelikes are non-modal" for this.

e: also, the vi editor is modal

Contentato
Jan 19, 2023

yay [short tooting]

Shoehead posted:

Made it so enemies burn now!

I'm repeating myself, but I am sold on your style

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

LeFishy posted:

Dave i specifically think of “harvest & consumption” games where you have a harvest game and… a consumption game which feeds back into the harvest game.

Kind of like an extraction game but without the stress of losing everything. It’s a design loop i really want to put my own spin on one day but i’ve got to actually make something first… anything!

Battle Chef Brigade did this too. Someone somewhere has probably defined a term for it, as thats what people love to do.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Is it impossible to find a talented artist who’s willing to work on a passion project for revshare? I’m a little frustrated since I honestly think I have a great *game* on my hands (not just an idea, I’ve made over 170 levels for a unique and fun puzzle game) but I’m just not an artist. I’m also not really in this for the money, so I’m not super comfortable spending a lot up front, but I’d be willing to share close to half of whatever I made.

Mostly just looking for friendly advice here. It would be a shame to just sit on this for years. I could release it with dev art, but I feel like I could make it so much better with a decent artist!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I know I haven't posted in here in a while, and it's because I'm slowly working through a pretty major rewrite of a lot of code right now and it's hard to maintain enough discipline to keep plucking at it. I still don't have anything of my own to show right now, but I wanted to share one of my biggest sources of inspiration instead - hope that's okay. About a month ago, Justice uploaded the cinematic version of their IRIS set to Youtube. I'd only ever seen the concert version, which is already amazing, but this absolutely blew me away. I'm sure you all know by now that I'm in love with crazy concert visuals, but this is IMO probably the best there has ever been. It's an absolute masterpiece.

So anyways, for anyone who hasn't seen it (and isn't photosensitive - seriously don't even try, Serth), enjoy one of the most amazing video experiences I think you can ever have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC5mO8I_Cd4

I'm going to watch this one more time and go back to coding...

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Orzo posted:

Is it impossible to find a talented artist who’s willing to work on a passion project for revshare?

Yes. They hate even being pitched poo poo like this.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Orzo posted:

Is it impossible to find a talented artist who’s willing to work on a passion project for revshare? I’m a little frustrated since I honestly think I have a great *game* on my hands (not just an idea, I’ve made over 170 levels for a unique and fun puzzle game) but I’m just not an artist. I’m also not really in this for the money, so I’m not super comfortable spending a lot up front, but I’d be willing to share close to half of whatever I made.

Mostly just looking for friendly advice here. It would be a shame to just sit on this for years. I could release it with dev art, but I feel like I could make it so much better with a decent artist!

Yes it's typically difficult to find talented people to work for free on something that isn't even their own passion project. Why would we do that when we can make our own stuff?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Orzo posted:

Is it impossible to find a talented artist who’s willing to work on a passion project for revshare?

Short answer: yes, it is impossible. Good artists generally know all about the "you'll get a cut of the money" scam, it's a classic of the indie dev scene. I guess "scam" is overly harsh, because few if any devs are actually trying to be deceptive. But the odds of their time investment paying out are tiny, and they know it. Games need lots of art, and few make any money back.

Your best bet is to invest time into your own artistic skills. Failing that, spend the time making money so you can afford to pay an artist. Or find a publisher you can convince to invest in the game, and use the publisher's money to pay an artist.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Thanks for the answers!

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

It bums me out that that sort of thing is considered a scam by default, because as a senior programmer I'd love to have talented artists pitching me their weird passion projects :(

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

It’s unfortunate, but I can see why it is that way. Too many “idea guys” with no actual skills or proven experience.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

KillHour posted:

I know I haven't posted in here in a while, and it's because I'm slowly working through a pretty major rewrite of a lot of code right now and it's hard to maintain enough discipline to keep plucking at it. I still don't have anything of my own to show right now, but I wanted to share one of my biggest sources of inspiration instead - hope that's okay. About a month ago, Justice uploaded the cinematic version of their IRIS set to Youtube. I'd only ever seen the concert version, which is already amazing, but this absolutely blew me away. I'm sure you all know by now that I'm in love with crazy concert visuals, but this is IMO probably the best there has ever been. It's an absolute masterpiece.

So anyways, for anyone who hasn't seen it (and isn't photosensitive - seriously don't even try, Serth), enjoy one of the most amazing video experiences I think you can ever have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC5mO8I_Cd4

I'm going to watch this one more time and go back to coding...

lol hell yea man. add this to your visual inspiration too

https://vimeo.com/676361842

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Orzo posted:

im gonna need a fat advance weed dont buy itself

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
The only way to get someone to join a passion project is to somehow figure out how to get them passionate about it too.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Or find someone making cheap asset packs and pay them once your game’s a success to make more of them, which I’m pretty sure is the route that Vampire Survivors took.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
or buy them weed

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Control Volume posted:

Yes. They hate even being pitched poo poo like this.

Revshare means "for free" I've often found. Or your revshare partner burns out and you have all these assets you can't use, and all this code that isn't yours.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
To put it another way: when artists and coders share revenue (it does happen, rarely), it's because they knew about each other before the project started, and respected each other well enough to be willing to go into business together. That means more than just "we're friends", it also means "I'm willing to commit months or maybe years of productive effort to this project, because I have faith that it will be a worthwhile use of my time". That calls for a lot of respect and enthusiasm.

Ironically, while I have plenty of artist friends, I wouldn't ask them to go in on revshare with me, even on a real banger of a project. I wouldn't want them to invest a lot of effort into a project that probably won't earn anything.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tbh for a puzzle game, you can probably just study GUI design principles and apply it to the whole game rather than just the UI. It wont have a lot of charm but itll be functional, and more importantly it wont be dev art.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

cumpantry posted:

lol hell yea man. add this to your visual inspiration too

https://vimeo.com/676361842

If I watch it now I will spend all night watching concert footage instead of working on this, but I will definitely add it to the list. Thanks!

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Sid Meier keeps talking about the "Covert Action problem" (https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/sid-meier-part-2/ here, for example) where he made a game that operates on two levels, and the subgames were so elaborate and complex that they overshadowed the macro game (or vice versa?) and the game just didn't work. It's funny, it's a thing people keep bringing up when they talk about games like Total War or X-Com, but I've only ever heard it talked about like "so when you've got a game that breaks out into a different game, you know, like X-Com," I don't know if there is a word for it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shoehead posted:

Revshare means "for free" I've often found. Or your revshare partner burns out and you have all these assets you can't use, and all this code that isn't yours.

I almost got into one of those situations so I formed some legal documents to address that problem which I think are pretty cool in the way they handle asset defaulting and additional sharing as needed.

Of course I still haven't gotten to the point of asking someone to use those legal documents; I learned my lesson the first time about not seeking aid 'til almost done.

But I'm still paying California $800/year to keep those legal documents valid!

Haven't learned the lesson on when to quit. Or to finish a thing. But the thing I do finish had better bring in some big bucks to cover my past years' foolishness.

I'm actually very excited about my new project but I'm currently in the scope creeping phase.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Triarii posted:

It bums me out that that sort of thing is considered a scam by default, because as a senior programmer I'd love to have talented artists pitching me their weird passion projects :(

Sign me the gently caress up for this too please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I know this looks incredibly underwhelming because it's still jank as gently caress and I can't do anything complicated until I fix it, but the ability to intercept values per-pixel part way through the shader and swizzle them is going to lead to some very cool possibilities that I'm really excited for.