Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Waves of Steel is a blast and I did the same thing I did in Wayward Frontier where I played like 1hr of story then went nuts in the ship editor. I'm very happy that there are just a bunch of broken and goofy things buried in there.

So far my only requests are mostly aesthetic:
More 1-3 ton filler misc components, I love me some searchlights.
Tiny superstructure should just have no collision with big ones so I can just clip them to get my look right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

dhamster posted:

I added some "talking" sounds.

https://twitter.com/MegaKnockdown/status/1544392218873585670

I've plugged in the first of six story campaigns so far. Pixel Crushers makes the process pretty easy.
https://twitter.com/MegaKnockdown/status/1544485946439221248

After seeing those portraits my brain is adding in a Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff unlockable meme character.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The Pixar team wants to have a word with you about character design.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
No shame in paying the bills.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

drawbot posted:

Nope, but that definitely sounds familiar if not just fully on brand for parts of the industry. This is an earnest effort, but I also know I haven't shown off anything beyond character movement and modeling so far, soooo

It does look like some fun movement tech

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
My creative pitch is infinitely variable nft waifu's as characters in a tactical role-playing game with permadeath and a gatcha mechanic. Procedurally generated backstory and dialog taking up 95% of dev resources to sell these RNG characters. Gotta check all the boxes for a money printer.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I always consider the sound mixing for the 3 gunshots at the end of this scene as some of the best mixing I've ever heard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcgn4EY5_S8&t=162s (Its the Max vs Furiosa fight from Fury Road)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Take the camera position and the ship position and draw a vertical plane that passes through them. Route every sound producer on the left of the plane to your left channel de-confliction and every sound on the right to the right channel de-confliction. Preserve the position metadata through it, then convert the sound event to a generated sound in 3d space and send it to the audio channels.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'm one of those people who look at bad reviews deliberately when shopping. Seeing something like "this is way too woke" in a one star review makes me want to buy something more.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The giant boss ship teleports every phase once you've destroyed it's current outer shell or done enough damage to multiple big pieces. That will make the players motion relative rather than absolute. Could also have the boss physically move in a way that trys to keep an even spacing away from the player.
Reward focus fire by having the destroyed pieces be unable to shoot until enough phases have passed that the thing molts and gets a new, smaller, more heavily armed outer layer.

Also I'm now imagining this as the Spirit of Mother's Will from Armored core. And as you destroy it's legs it becomes a ship

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, but that's not strongly-contrasting with the invalid-placement colors.

How about an alternate way to say "don't place stuff here", rather than dimming the entire sideview?

Rather then a full dimming throw some transparent grey 1/4" cross hatch over the bottom. You should still have enough undimmed sections to see the contrasting colors. Also you could throw a thin yellow and black cross hatch boarder around either the top or bottom half to further isolate it when working with placement.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Hammer Bro. posted:

You should make a Vampire Survivor clone but with multiplayer.

Someone jump on this and make a million dollars while I collect blue gems with friends.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

worms butthole guy posted:

On the contrary my wife has epil3psy and hasn't stopped playing for a hour.

I think your game is something special on the steam deck as the gyro makes it really really fun.

Great job.

:mad: don't do that, epilepsy isn't the same for everyone. I'm lucky that I don't have it but I have friends that do. Its valid for all media to have accessibility options so more people can enjoy it safely. Serth is pretty much a professional at that at this point.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
At the engagement distance what is the difference between that and just having them accelerate endlessly until impact or despawn? Without the step change in acceleration the math is easier at least.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Dieting Hippo posted:

Edit 3: Also you can indeed play Megalovania in the improv mode.

Very important

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alhVVLUPU0M

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Seven Force posted:

Noita got me into trying cellular automata and falling sand stuff. It's pretty fun working out the rules for materials to get convincing behaviors. Still a bit wonky because no there's no gravity and it's only a 64x64 grid/chunk but i'm so happy with what i've managed to do so far.

Reminds me of the Power Toy, which is a good thing

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
That is really exceptional news and reception. Congratulations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Maybe just like classic RPGmaker?

Or make a text adventure in java? I learned to code making one in basic way back in the day.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yeah if you want to make games TTRPGs are wonderful. If you want to make Video Games thats a whole can of worms that will probably involve slowly learning from modding. And even if you want to make video games learning the cycle of create -> test -> refine from board games or TT is a nice leg up.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'm looking forward to more songs

and even if there is never a mod API i'm sure someone will figure out whatever hacks are needed to add custom songs.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

busalover posted:

I just saw a video on how the popularity of the Edgerunners anime correlates to an increase in the playerbase of Cyberpunk 2077. Companies have been touting "transmedia-storytelling" as a way to increase the popularity of an IP for a while now, but is this the first time it actually worked?

(I'm only familiar with the Warcraft comics and novels, but I doubt they ever gained a level of popularity that bled over to the game.)

It works and its been around forever.

It used to be books into plays

then books into movies

or books into TV

books into games seems to be solidly established now, while games into TV are just in their infancy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Seeing more Trombone Champ content in the wild gives me hope for Trombone Champ 100% run at GDQ.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Your Computer posted:

so i said previously that i was awful at procedural generation because i never really "got" any of the techniques or algorithms and there's a surprising lack of resources on it that aren't just articles describing the algorithms and throwing in things like "then just connect it" as if that's a trivial problem. but i think i've managed to do my first (decent?) procgen

One day in the next few decades we will get the source code for dwarf fortress and we will finally have good articles using proven code to show how it's done.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Excited for speed runs.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Did we ever make a Trombone Champ thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUJuwNxNUWQ

Because Dragonforce made a video reaction about the mod for their song in Trombone Champ.

Youtube is recommending videos with like 40k views from channels with 400 subscribers. To me that just screams overwhelming success.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Definitely show some quick seconds of the ship designer with some sort of "design custom ships" card. I do like the visual of multiple custom ships at a fixed angle in action for your main content shots.

My 1 directorial comment is to put the kickflip at the end. Post title card. You gotta slowly ramp up the intensity. Get into like BBs with 30x5" and AA -> boss battles at the climax-> title card -> over the top sillyness wipe to end on.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

In my head this makes me think of Highfleet crossed with Subnautica.

Subnautica made the world feel strange and wonderous, where there were secrets to explore.

Highfleet made the world feel huge and brutal, each cannon shot had visceral impact, and every choice often a meaningful cost in fuel and cash.

The story of the world for both is what made them stick the landing rather than just their gameplay loops.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

One of the cinematic issues with Mortal Engines is that nothing seems to have the proper amount of inertia. Contrast with how GDT did it in Pacific Rim https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYQjmj7cSM0. To mention High Fleet again, the gameplay makes the ships feel like their giant size, even if its arcadey and still much faster than reality. Combined with the sound design it gives the gameplay a meatiness that compliments the rest.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So if my brain happened to decide to just power down the road of developing that conception my hour drive, would you want me to post that or could that negatively influence your motivation or what you were thinking

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Mursupitsku posted:

Im toying around with a game idea in my head where the main game play loop would be around programming a character to fight.

I'm searching for other games about programming for inspiration but there doesnt seem to be too many around. Please post any such games if they have in any way interested you!

Exapunks, wherin in pvp competition you literally program your programs to fight other programs as a hacker wars. Typical Zachtronics. Single player your program your virus programs to navigate and beat the environmental hazards.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I've been reading it as County the entire time :doh: . Carefree County.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Despite that, I've seen more than one player try to dock without taking out the torpedo turret, which doesn't generally work very well. Any suggestions?

If subtlety isn't working you can make it explicit - When you get close trigger one of those pause'd dialog lines with "Those Torpedo's are going to be trouble until we take out the command center" if the player hasn't already destroyed the CC.

SerthVarnee posted:

Small dotted lines that reach out from the control center to every structure under its control?

Also a great visual aid.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Only during the community Christmas event.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Maxwell Lord posted:

As I'm figuring out what I need to work on next for my turn-based rogue-like spy game I'm drifting over to one topic: Stealth.

Now in a general sense I feel that sneaking around is something the player should be able to do but won't be required. That's all fine and good. Beyond that I've got lots of options to brainstorm and there are a few things I need to figure out in general (I'm thinking there will need to be a fog of war element, Sorceress had some secret areas but that was a relatively simple 'destroy layer' function, this will have to be more piecemeal.)

While I'm brainstorming, though- does anyone have any examples of games that make good use of stealth/concealment in a turn-based tactical environment? Nothing's coming to mind right off the bat. (X-Com does have enemies revealed by fog of war but they seem to see you as soon as you see them if not before.) There are a couple of tabletop things I can think of (Scotland Yard, Space Hulk has a sort of "radar" system which is neat) but I'd like to see who else has tackled this.

If you want to draw inspiration from reality, modern submarine/maritime/air warfare has a lot going on that could lead to fun mechanics. The 4x Aurora has really detailed turn based strategic warfare in this style, and playing stealth well there feels great because its hard but rewarding. Highfleet has a dash of it with thermals/radars/ECM/passive homing stuff. Blind firing a nuke at where you expect an enemy to be is satisfying.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

I recognize this is a lot to attempt, and in particular that it's hard to do hordes that feel like hordes in 3D because there's so much more volume to fill, compared to 2D games.

One thing I've felt is that a lot of that comes from asset uniformity.

If you can stagger different animations, slight model variations, and different shaders on top of the same base model it really lets your spread the enemy models out and all of a sudden your groups feel like a horde without needing to be many densely packed models.

This is of course a tradeoff of asset development time, how many assets are in memory at once, and how much you're trying to render and keep track of at once.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Does it have to be in Roaming instead of LocalLow for permissions?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'm still a fan of Carefree County instead of Country, the lack of extra R for some reason.

Tiny Tilescape or Tilescaper (like townscaper which this reminds me of) are also good.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

deep dish peat moss posted:

Dwarf Fortress -> 3 syllables, plus shortened to DF or Dwarf Fort, 2 syllables each
Umm

Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress

:colbert:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
While that shovelware company has the X-scape name thing, I don't think they have X-Scaper?

Ecoscaper or Gardenscaper should be free real estate

Positive connection to the niche popular townscaper - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1291340/Townscaper/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Those are amazing pixels.