Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

:black101: Goblin King :black101:
Grimey Drawer

Char posted:

I got another weird question.
Our graphic artists wants to integrate his assets on our repository. We're on github, and since we're using unfiltered UE5 assets, we need around 50GBs right now.
We've scraped up some info and Helix Core came up a couple times, is this a good tool? Is there any other reasonable solution? It needs to be hosted though, and but we'd rather avoid on prem solutions.

GitHub supports LFS so I would go with that instead of Helix Core (ie. Perforce). I don't find that Perforce's handling of binary files is good enough to make up for how painful it can be to use vs. Git, for programmers at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We just put up our Steam coming soon page for Goblin Camp ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/2431980/Goblin_Camp/ ). It's a fantasy city-builder inspired by Finnish mythology. To this day no-one has made exactly the right kind of city-builder/colony simulator so I figured I have no choice but to do so myself.

Feels great to have the coming soon page out so I have a place to point people at when I'm talking about this. Conveniently I also haven't changed my avatar in 10 years and it's now topical again.

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Is this the same ascii Goblin Camp game that I still have from 2010?? Or is there a new goon game called Goblin Camp

This is the same game in the sense that Doom (2016) is the same game as Doom (1993). It's a game about a bunch of goblins that find themselves in the middle of a forest and need to build themselves a village, protect themselves from all kinds of danger and start some fires while they're doing it. So a lot is the same but this time it's going to have real 3D graphics (wow!), mechanics that have considerably more thought put into them, and all in all just a much higher quality game.

We did our best to come up with an alternative name but Goblin Camp just feels right.

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LoboFlex posted:

The biotopia steam page is finally ready: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2363600/Biotopia/. My blood pressure is through the roof, even if this probably isn't that big a deal.

I tweeted an announcement tweet if you want to help signal boost; I'd really appreciate it.

https://twitter.com/loboflex/status/1676871630579023872

Great work, added to my wishlist! Putting out a steam page is definitely nerve-wracking, but don't worry yours looks really good.

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

giogadi posted:

I'm making a weird little music game. I'm trying to give players the feeling of improvising on a musical instrument, without any of the musical training. But it's also a platformer or something. idk. I'd love to hear what people think of it! It's still a very early prototype. I'd like to see how people respond to it in order to inform how I continue with development.

You can get it at itch: https://giogadi.itch.io/audial

This looks interesting so I tried to give it a spin. Crashes on launch though, logs this if I try launching from a terminal:

pre:
Default device sample rate: 48000.000000
Default device max output channels: 2
Audio error: default audio device not supported.
Final error: Invalid sample rate
Error list:
Error 0: Invalid sample rate
Error 1: Invalid sample rate
An error occured while using the portaudio stream
Error number: -9988
Error message: Invalid stream pointer
Error in shutting down Audio!

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

giogadi posted:

Oh no!!! I'm sorry about that. Thanks for giving it a try though. This is a strange error because it's saying I'm trying to use an "invalid sample rate", but the sample rate I use is the exact same as your device's default (48000).

If you're interested in helping me get to the bottom of this: could you go to Windows Sound Settings, then go to "Device Properties" under "Output", then "Additional Sound Properties", go to the "Advanced" tab, and tell me what it says under "Default Format"? For example, it might say "16 bit, 48000" or something.

Also, what kind of speakers/headphones are you using? Just in case it's a weird hardware thing.

Default Format says "2 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)". I'm using an Arctis 7 headset. If I change my audio output to use my monitor the game launches just fine, so it's something with my headset that it doesn't like.

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Goblin Camp really feels like A Game ™ now. It's an interesting thing how it seems that there's this special point in a game's development where it no longer is just a set of features mashed together but actually one thing that is fun to play. For some games you get there immediately, particularly if it's more arcadey or something with an immediate control that is fun, but for games like this where it's a complex simulation it can take quite a while to get to a point where it all starts working together.

I was expecting to still have to work a bit longer before I'd get there but I was pleasantly surprised that I got hooked playing my own game already. There's so much stuff that's missing or temporary or super in-progress but it's fun now so I'm happy.

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You can rotate and zoom the camera, you can get down fairly close to see what your goblins are up to and to enjoy the scenery:

https://goblincamp.com/assets/images/screenshots/20231117-zooming.mp4

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NJersey posted:

I need some advice from some of you more well informed and experienced people here.

I was messing around with Unity as a small hobby before the big blow up, which of course happens just as I was beginning to get organized and a plan together to start on a full project. I'm a beginner so nothing crazy but big enough that I knew I could finish it.

My question is, because I have no programming experience outside Unity and the little C# I learned there, I've looked at all the alternatives and none of them seem to fit what I want to do, either overpowered, under powered, not much documentation, etc. I'm thinking of going back to Unity.

Maybe I was reading all the Unity problems and thought it might affect me when that isn't the case so but my goal is to just make small games and if I sell a couple copies, I'd be happy. Should I just stick with it? Finish some projects and then see where I'm at in a year or two and look at other options? UE5 looks good but really overpowered for what I want to do now, for instance.

Thanks all, and love everyone that posts content in here. Really keeps me motivated to keep going.

It's much more important to get a game finished and shipped than it is to choose the "right" engine, whatever that really even means. Unity has made some terrible decisions lately, and they've never been the pinnacle of quality, but it's an engine that is definitely capable enough for what you want to do and makes it very easy to ship on whichever platform you want. The experience you get from finishing a game will be very valuable, and you can always switch to a different engine when the time is right.

Ideally everyone would be using Godot or some other open source engine instead of giving money to corporations that always end up screwing you one way or another, but don't let complaints about Unity and such stop you from making games. Don't waste time trying to figure out which engine is the best, truth is you can get your game done in any semi-popular engine. It'll also be much easier to choose an engine for your next game once you've finished a game in one engine.

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1q1tXsqkMQ

Published the trailer for Goblin Camp, finally! It's a lot of effort to get the footage for a trailer, really hard to get clips that are "perfect". Always some pixel somewhere that ought to be changed. But it's out, now I can get back to coding. I'm particularly happy with the music, we've been really lucky to get to work with a professional composer.

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shoehead posted:

Weird question, maybe, but does this have anything to do with Generic Container's Goblin Camp from like... uh.. 2010? I modded some flowers into it, it was the first bit of modding I ever did

It does! I'm the same person. I considered naming this Goblin Camp 2, but I landed on the same name since I never finished the original and for me this is just the continuation of the original idea. Just this time with graphics and sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did some renovating on Goblin Camp's buildings menu. Now if you click a notification that references a building it'll autofill the search bar, I made the search fuzzy so it'll match even if you typo a bit _and_ buildings that don't match the filter are visible but grayed out. Feels like it makes it way easier to find the building you want to build now, and should keep working even as the number of buildings keeps growing.

https://i.imgur.com/WIV4ScR.mp4

[edit: fixed the imgur link]

Aryoc fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 23, 2024