Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

BizarroAzrael posted:

Crossposting from the game a month thread, has anyone learned Unity from Unity 3.x Game Development Essentials? It's highly rated on Amazon, and looks like it might be pitched at the right sort of level for me. Does it come with disks or anything, I was thinking of getting it used, also, is Unity 4 similar to 3 that this book being for the previous version won't be an issue?

I bought the book based on a friend's suggestion (you can read his review here) and for me the book worked (and still works) very well. You need to know at least the very basics of programming but not much more (my game programming experience is limited to one ludum dare game made with LOVE/lua and another ludum dare game made with flash/AS3). And it seems like it doesn't devalue the book either if you already are a very experienced programmer: the friend who recommended the book to me is a programming guru.

The entire book basically covers the making of one simple FPS adventure -style game and you can download its project files from the book's website but I never bothered with downloading those since I didn't follow the tutorial. Anyways, the book is easy to comprehend, comprehensive and everything in the book is very relevant even if you are not interested in games of the same genre or style as the sample game is. I can definitely recommend the book.

Oh, and I don't think there should be a big difference between Unity 3 and 4 as far as this book is concerned since the biggest changes between the versions seem to be things like Flash export and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Terashell posted:

That's what I've been trying to do? Choosing an engine is hard. I'm between Flixel, Torque, Turbulenz and Unity.

Just pick one that doesn't look too intimidating and go for it. You can always do your next project with a different engine. I've programmed two games: the first one with LOVE/Lua, second with Flash/ActionScript and now I've been getting comfortable with Unity/C# for my next one.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

DeathBySpoon posted:

Dungeon crawling is really taking shape. Room transitions and chests work, next up is story scripts and that'll be the majority of the underlying mechanics.
That's hella cool!

The view seems a little claustrophobic to my eyes though. We spent a lot of time with Grimrock in iterating the camera FOV and position so that the view looks "spacious" and that items and other things on floor can be manipulated easily. The camera in Grimrock actually sits quite near the back edge of the square the party is on and the FOV is configured so that the floor of the current square is always a little bit visible. And if the aspect ratio is changed, we make sure that the vertical FOV stays the same (eg. the same amount of floor is always visible). I don't know if any of this is relevant to your project but you know, might be helpful...

Also, have you tried putting the GUI somewhere else than on the bottom edge? Maybe on the top half of the screen? When looking at the gif, I constantly get the uncomfortable urge that I'd want to peek behind the character stats but I'm unable to. After all, in dungeon crawls and in real life too, it is generally more important to keep an eye on the floor than the ceiling. Without an FPS-style easily tilted camera, things on the bottom center of the screen can annoyingly feel like they are in your way even if the effect would be only cosmetic.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

tehsid posted:

A new engine has entered the market. Its called Paradox3D and uses C# for scripting.

http://paradox3d.net/features

Will keep an eye on it for now. But its good to see more stuff out for people to use.
The wording "Paradox 1.x is free of charge" leads me to believe that the following major versions might not be entirely free for commercial projects. This is pure speculation on my part of course, but maybe it's something to keep in mind. They got to start doing business at some point, right?

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Here's mine: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-32/?action=preview&uid=5503

It's a tetris-meets-space-invaders game made with blueprints in UE4. There's a HTML5 version too but I recommend the standalone since it performs better (and thus has fewer physics bugs ;) ) and looks nicer.

I'm very happy how the game turned out although the tile rotation is annoyingly buggy. Oh well. :)

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Nude posted:

Um slightly unrelated but here a level design for my game. Plan on tweaking the background a bit more. Gameplay is inspired by Out of this World (Another World), and Heart of Darkness (psx). Mostly just the climbing and atmosphere parts. I know it's not much but I have been lurking this topic for a while and wanted to post.

The whole picture looks like background to me :(

You need to use values, colors and perspective to separate playable areas from background more clearly. Put detail where it matters: currently the image is very noisy with very high frequency stuff overlaid on top of very low frequency shapes in order to try and make a very undetailed picture look "detailed" and "sharp" but it just makes the picture look messy and busy and I'm sure if you'd put your player character and whatnot on top, the background would fight for your attention too much. Overall, I'd avoid adding the small noisy details (surface patterns like the rough surface of a rock or the grain of the wood) before I have the low- and mid-level details (usually more or less just lighting and shapes pleasantly composed) nailed down. And even after that I'd be super cautious with the overall contrast and level of detail of the background part of the picture. Hinting that a detail exists is often better than explicitly adding the detail there: the brain can fill in a lot of missing detail if there's just a vague suggestion of its existence in the right place.

Study composition and use it to pull the eye of the observer to where it matters. Your picture doesn't even really have a composition. It's just random shapes without much rhythm, hierarchy or purpose and I get very anxious looking at the picture since my eye just wanders all around the place without finding a good "resting place". If you look at Another World, all the backgrounds are beautifully composed and they would work as paintings by themselves but even if you add the game on top of those, they don't distract too much because they still very much sit in the background since they don't go crazy with detail and contrasts, and their values, tones and perspective help them to separate from the foreground. Another World also often uses background to tell the story or show other important events and they know their composition well enough that they can lead your eye to the important happenings there without the player even realizing it. Creative Illustration by Andrew Loomis is a very good primer on how to create images that work. The book is not technically public domain but it's available everywhere online since it's, more or less, abandonware :filez: and there's tons of info on composition elsewhere as well. The ctrlpaint.com video series on composition is good too: http://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/?tag=Principles+of+Design. Photography is also a great and fun way to learn composition in practice.

I'd say that knowing how composition works and what makes a good image (which definitely applies to both 2D and 3D) is possibly the most important skill of a good environment artist or level designer.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
For the last two weeks, I've been working on a personal iPhone game project. It's a grappling hook game called Flinger! I got the idea for the game when I started to think that how would it be possible to make a game for iPhone which would have the essence of fast paced and unforgiving gameplay feel of games like Super Meat Boy but which would still have super simple 1 finger controls.

This week's progress includes glowing things and lasery things, among others.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Do I still have to worry about using foreach in Unity 5.2 when developing for iOS? If I understand the issue correctly, the memory leak with foreach was caused by an old version of mono but now with IL2CPP, the issue should be bypassed, right?

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

MWMetric posted:

So if anyone could offer up any tips or helpful advice I would greatly appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HykQHzSzDLQ

Overall, I'll echo what others have said about the pacing and editing of the trailer but here's a few more thoughts... My favorite bit of the trailer was the gag with the "enter"-sign. Sets the mood of the game perfectly and it does it quickly too which is very valuable with trailers. The text is very dark though so the viewers' attention might not get drawn to it soon enough. The first 10 seconds (the most important seconds!) of the trailer are wasted for displaying a studio logo and the closed drapes. I'd condense the whole thing to 0-3 seconds. That's all about the trailer from me but I'll share you my thoughts regarding the game itself as well if that's okay. :)

Like Sigma-X said, the biggest thing lacking right now is something that makes this game stand out. With the Legend of Grimrock games we already did most of the obvious things (sorry! ;) ) that you can do with the sub-genre so you might have to get a little more creative! Maybe choose one part of the core gameplay (combat, puzzles, exploration/survival) and hit it with all that you've got so that it'll clearly stand out from the competition! I know there's plenty of things you could do since we had tons of ideas we didn't have time to implement in Grimrock 1/2. It might be that you've already done some of that but if so, it doesn't really show in the trailer which just means that you'll have to go even further with it. I wouldn't worry about overdoing it!

The movement felt kinda sluggish. I think you could make the player and enemy movement much much snappier between the grid cells and, given the style of your game, a very fast transition would probably work well in practice and serve the gameplay well. After all, it's always very uncomfortable when things are transitioning between cells in a real-time grid-based game. With Grimrock, we would've loved to shorten the transition times even further for gameplay reasons but the semi-realistic style held us back a little. And sorry for constantly comparing to Grimrock: the matter of fact just is that you will get compared to Grimrock by players too so it's probably just wise to match some of the standards set by it. :) A snappier movement style will make creating a trailer a bit more difficult though since, for an observer, it's more difficult to follow the action but you could compensate a little by having separate freecam and gameplay camera shots.

The visuals are too dark. Might be an issue with video encoding but I would double check its cause regardless. Check your monitor calibration and look how your game looks on various different displays. You need some room for error too since a lot of the players might have poorly calibrated or lovely displays.

The lights and shadows don't sit well with rest of the visual style IMO. I think it's mostly just that the shadows could be too blurry and the lights too hazy. I'd try out razor-sharp shadows first and then move towards a little blurrier shadows bit by bit until a good balance is found. Specular maps could also help to make the lights more lively and normal maps too but I'm not sure if it would fit the style. Could be worth a shot though?

Playing around with particle effects some more could help as well. I'd try out adding some sparks and glow to the torches and maybe some floating dust around the bright ceiling lights etc.

And I too would seriously think about the name a little more. It's a generic, forgettable name that doesn't really describe the feel of the game. Most importantly, there's already a game called that on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/359350/

All in all though, your game looks like it has a very solid foundation already. It's got a very charming style and it looks like fun! Just needs a little bit more flair.

j.peeba fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 23, 2015

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I participated in Variety Megajam where you try to make 10 games, all in different genres, during the 10 first days of the year. I missed a few days and completed 7 games that I'm pretty satisfied with (although the javelin game ended up kinda half-baked and buggy). :)

Here's my entry with all 7 games in one: http://peeba.itch.io/hapatus-variety-pack-2016

I highly recommend participating if you have the time! Even though it sounds intimidating, this challenge isn't that much more difficult than, say, Ludum Dare is but you'll have to employ different tactics. This jam is very good at training your development routine and discipline. Balancing your development resources is very important since it can get exhausting to start with a new thing the next day if you've slept poorly or you've crunched too much. Then again, you do develop a pretty good routine after the first few games and you learn to concentrate on things that make the biggest impact to your game which is a skill that definitely applies to bigger projects as well.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Thanks, everyone! :)
This far Jeometry Jars has been the crowd pleaser but Bastard on a Boat definitely has more novelty to it... I don't have any plans on continuing development any of these at the moment though,but I'll jot it down on my ideas.txt :)

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Here's a small Pico-8 fantasy console project I'm working on...

For the complete multimedia experience, listen to the luxurious soundtrack of the game while staring at the gif: https://soundcloud.com/john-peeba/refl1/s-DVV2C
The music uses only 3 channels so I can reserve 1 channel for sfx. The reflections are made by reading Pico-8's video memory and writing it back in reverse order at the bottom of the screen with some sine wobble and animated sprites on top. The parallax scrolling was the latest addition.

So, uhh, it's a robot walking around. I'm not quite sure where I'm headed with the game itself but I'm having fun messing around with it nonetheless! Some light puzzle platforming might work or maybe a more moody adventure/mystery/story driven approach would be cool. Maybe I could utilize the reflections by having something only visible in the reflections or vice versa (like vampires!)? Either way, I'm aiming for a 5 minute experience, tops, so it doesn't have to be anything too ambitious.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I've never made a good menu myself... :eng99: Someday I'll tackle that beast!

Small update on my Pico-8 game. I implemented basic level stuff, collisions and climbing. Looking at the gif now, the climbing animation is a bit twitchy and the legs go all over the place so I'll have to revisit it.

I also got an idea for the gameplay after doing some one-man-brainstorming in notepad (or sublime text if we're precise). If it works at all, expect to see yet another puzzle platformer with annoying gridlock-situations! :)

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

bomblol posted:

I love this. Pico-8 seems really cool, but after following some people on twitter who talk about the development process with it, seems like the limitations end up being frustrating more often than fun
I'm having fun, at least this far. :)

For example the reflection effect is done by directly reading from Pico-8's display memory at 0x6000 and writing it back (like old school peek & poke!) in reverse order with some sine wobbles applied to it. It's also fun to plan stuff around the limited built in palette and 4 audio channels. With each new version, the developer has relaxed or re-implemented some of the more annoying limitations so you don't really have to try and minimize the variable name length or some such anymore for instance. I'd love to have support for multiple files though but I think there have been some preliminary plans on having tabs or something for the code editor. I don't use the built-in code editor that much though since it's much more comfortable to just open the source file with Sublime Text.

Of course, Pico-8 is definitely not for everyone and it's not something you want to use exclusively either but it's something that I'll gladly recommend regardless. :)

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I don't know where I'm heading to with my Ludum Dare game but at least I have a running pickle lad now.

Edit: yeah, that's shipping quality right there. I accept nothing short of perfection:

j.peeba fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 10, 2016

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I am ludum daring!

...Or was, I think I'm finished for now :)

You can play the game here: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-37/?action=preview&uid=5503

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Shalinor posted:

What engine is that? Everything is lit to be nice and soft, it's really pleasant. Is that UE4, or maybe Unity with their post-processing mega-stack?

(also, your jaunty little pickle butt person is fantastic)

It's just regular ol' unity with default materials. The only post processing fx are standard asset ssao and fog. Nothing special really :)

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

FuzzySlippers posted:

Cross posting from the RL thread. I wanna make a Stonekeep remake now:

Looks awesome!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hotkeys at minimum. Press a key to have the indicated character attack or cast a predefined spell.

Our justification for having the clickety-click attacks in Grimrock was (beyond the obvious nostalgia factor, which is HUGE) that the combat in the game is essentially a rhythm game where timing and, to some degree, your accuracy with a mouse define how much punishment you can lash out.

We did consider hotkeys a few times but we always ended up with the conclusion that it removes both the accuracy and timing from the formula and replaces it with rapid button mashing. We always enjoyed the fact that if you panic during combat it really messes up your flow and makes you do stupid stuff like stop fighting and run right into an open pit. Having hotkeys would also add complexity to the input scheme (even if the second hand's attacks & magic are disregarded) which would either mess up with character movement (if the keys would be near wasd) or force the player move his hands between mouse and keyboard. That being said there are players who have done attack hotkeys with autohotkey scripts who seem to enjoy the game that way so i dunno..

I definitely want to see newer or more innovative takes on the combat system though since obviously the way we did it is still very much a compromise. I don't want to be too defensive but creating a nostalgia fuelled game with 4 people in 10 months didn't leave that much resources for innovation. We wanted to make a game that ships instead of a perfect gem that starves us to death while clones beat us to the market. :)

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Shalinor posted:

As someone who did grow up playing those games, my eyes still glazed over within about 10 minutes of Grimrock. The style is just... the style. It was remarkable for them bringing it back like that, but it didn't precisely mean it was fun or a good idea to the wider market. Just the ultra fans of that style of gameplay. Competing with games like the ones they're aping were things like Ultima Underworld, and Arena. Which had WAAAAAY better combat systems. Grimrock and its ancestors appealed to Goldbox-style players who love numbers, and precise control thereof, and tons of flavor text.

Same as with, say, Pillars of Eternity. Either you liked Baldur's Gate, warts and all, or you didn't, and that pretty much determines what you'll think of PoE. Personally, I loved it... but I'm not a teenager anymore, and I was like 30 hours in, and hadn't even GOTTEN TO THE MAIN QUEST YET, so that was like uhhhhhhh.
I do admit that I prefer Ultima Underworld -style combat a little bit more myself as well. In the beginning we also briefly thought of going a little bit more Ultima Underworld-y but the thing is though if would've gone that way it would have pitted us much more directly against all the modern FPS RPGs. I think the mainstream would have though of us as a poor man's Skyrim instead which probably wouldn't have been an unfair comparison even if the game would have had a definite UW flavor to it.

I would challenge the thought that was it a good idea to bring the style to the wider market since we've sold like 1.4 or 1.5 million copies total now and reviews have been pretty good too. I don't think you can get there with the ultra fans alone. While the game does heavily rely on nostalgia, it's not all there is to it. :)

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Stick100 posted:

Don't forget you can always decimate the mesh to a much lower polygon mesh and then use a mesh collider on that. Ex. Taking a 10k poly model to 1k polygons. It won't be 100% accurate but would be extremely close.
While this is usually perfectly fine for static colliders, it really won't work with an animated character as discussed here.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Stick100 posted:

Could you not decimate the mesh, and attach the same animation controller to that. One mesh for display and one mesh for collision running the same animations at the same time? I'm not trying to ask a rhetorical question, I really have no clue. I've personally just used blocks and spheres myself.
I don't think any of the major physics engines support skinned or otherwise deforming mesh collisions. Testing multiple moving and deforming mesh vs mesh collisions is massively more complex than drawing said polygons, especially if we take it into account that you can do the latter on the gpu. If you start thinking about how you can be aware of the position and velocity of any arbitrary point on a surface (not just vertices, the whole surface) of a deforming mesh and then test its collisions against a dozen other similar meshes, with stable results, and then for example compare it against a couple of balls flying in space (which are just points with radii), the complexity of the deforming mesh case is hopefully more apparent.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Shalinor posted:

Just take a few hours and integrate a tweeing/easing library. It's always worth the time, and better than half-assing your own equivalents.

I second this! I'll throw in a recommendation for DOtween: http://dotween.demigiant.com

It's super feature rich so you've got tween grouping/chaining, support for paths, detailed playback controls (start, pause, rewind...) and callbacks (OnComplete etc). Despite this, the basic usage is very streamlined with a lot of shortcuts for the usual cases.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Sound Ideas have a couple of neat SFX libraries that I can recommend. Their foley collection is a great source for all sorts of utility sounds for layering. Very simple stuff but highly useful. Their medieval weapons bundle is also great. It's got both ready-to-use designed sounds and individual samples (impacts, whooshes, handling sounds etc) for building your own sounds. They also have similar collections for modern weapons.

Sound Ideas have a huge variety of other stuff as well but the quality can vary surprisingly much (possibly because they've been in the business since -79 and they might have some ancient stuff still available) so check ahead before you buy. For example, the Jurassic Dinosaurs library is terrible. All the samples have been processed with lovely sound effects. In general you should prefer dry, unprocessed samples since with ready-to-use sounds the odds are that the sounds acquired from different authors are built and processed differently and won't mesh well together. They're fine as an addition to your sound library and occasionally you can find a handful of samples that'll work with minimal processing but making an entire game with them won't yield good results.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Red Mike posted:

You miss out on new features and bugfixes. That's basically it. Unless you have a distinct reason to (need to fix a bug you can't work around, need a feature that you can't implement yourself in any way) then pinning to a specific version for an actual product you're developing is a good idea.

Other than the old flash player becoming disabled on modern browsers in favour of the webGL version of the builds, I don't think there's been a big case where an update was basically mandatory for people.

Support for 64bit iOS apps was another big one for many devs a while ago (2 years or so?). I second the notion of sticking to a version too if your project is far along since updating can break more things than it fixes.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Inkle (80 Days, Sorcery, Ink etc.) released a rather handy but simple looking script/pattern for doing instances of game objects in Unity. The biggest advantages compared to prefabs are that it's nestable and comes with built-in pooling but it's also compatible with prefabs so you can mix & match the two approaches. I don't think I have a use case for this right now myself but I'm sure it'll come in handy...

https://github.com/inkle/prototype

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I've been working on a toolset to paint lowpoly 3D geometry in Houdini to get assets that are quick to produce but are more distinct looking than pixels or traditionally modeled lowpoly stuff. It's currently at a rough-but-usable state now since today I managed to finally get a slick way to get a projection plane for painting on (don't want to project directly on input geo since I want to color outside the lines!). I'm hoping to give the tools a more proper test drive this weekend in Ludum Dare! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W5OKnnRpGc

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

xgalaxy posted:

Between this and games getting less mod-able because 'live services!!!' it is sucky times for hobby game developers all around.

This is a weird conclusion to draw IMHO. Just looking at how many games are published on steam, itch.io and mobile stores I’d say we are in the golden age of hobby game development and my guess is that either Skyrim or Minecraft is the most modded game in history. We rarely get source code for actual games (although for engines it’s sometimes available) but even back in the days source code releases were a rare exception.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I can now also create sequences from the stroke data for spawn/despawn/other vfx. Probably OK to just simply play through a sequence of fbx models if the frame count is low, at least for gamejam use. The resolution of the animated frames can be reduced too.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Anyone participating in ludum dare? I won't be because I'm just starting to learn things, but I'm definitely watching the streams

I am! Here’s my ldjam.com blog feed but I’ll post at least the finished product (if such a thing manifests itself) here.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Okay, I guess I'm done with day 1 of Ludum Dare... Here's what I've got so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yibfM16yU0

Most of the basics are there. The AI is a doofus but luckily the stupid behavior matches the looks. :)

Day 2 is gonna be tight! I need more monsters, environment props, a proper level, music, sfx and the collectibles that tie in to the theme ("the more you have the worse it is")… :)

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

FantasticExtrusion posted:

Same! I should have said this. It's not we see a style distinct enough to teach someone that's also original. I think it could catch on, but I don't know anything about Houdini other than that it's a parametric modeling app.

Thanks! Yeah, building custom tools is what Houdini excels in. Typically you build tools to reduce workload but when you think about it, the looks of a game is often very much defined by its tools. It has a huge impact if a game's art is done in a pixeling software, sculpted or colored with crayons so building your own tools can be a good, and still relatively unexplored, way to find new visual styles.

With games Houdini has traditionally been used in AAA for simulating destruction sequences or river flowmaps but now that tools created in Houdini can be directly used from within Unity, UE and some 3d modeling packages, it has been getting some serious traction with smaller game developers too.

This video is a pretty good quick intro on how to approach problems with Houdini :D https://vimeo.com/221178360

But on a more serious note if someone's curious checking out these use cases and tutorials is probably a good intro for the software: https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/luiz-big-list-of-games-tutorials/

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Phew! My Ludum Dare game is finished! It's a bleak, dystopian FPS called America 2018: https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/america-2018
It's a bit more simple than I originally had in mind but that's something that happens every single time. Still managed to put in at least a little bit of polish and juice so I don't mind. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkcj12wyRhA

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Yeah if you want to save development time using cloth physics on characters won’t help you. Getting them stable and good looking takes a huge amount of work and possibilities to art direct them are limited.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

I'd really like to know how much Unity is really collecting from our systems. Their help documents only list a few "examples of data that Unity might collect" and claim it will only be used to help improve Unity.

Hopefully this blows up in their face, forcing them to be more transparent about what they're collecting.

Under GDPR you can request a copy of all the personal data a company has of you. Basically anything that’s even slightly non-anonymous. If there is even a convoluted way for Unity to link editor usage time to a specific user, the data to do so should be visible there.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Here's what I've been tinkering this summer:
https://twitter.com/antti_tiihonen/status/1024313187028676609

I've got the core elements down now I think: handling blocks for puzzle mechanics, player movement, rudimentary level management as well as a bit of visual juice. Next I'm going to crank out a handful more test puzzles to verify some of the ideas I have and see what kind of variety I can come up with just a few types of blocks already.

I'm not entirely sure yet if I want to go iOS or Steam first with this game but regardless it's going to be a budget title. I want to finish this pretty quickly (in a few months?) and I'm actually feeling pretty hopeful of my odds. :)

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Stick100 posted:

Well if you want a simultaneous launch then do iOS first and you'll have some time to get the Steam version finished since you'll likely have to go back and forth with app submission for iOS. Technically Steam has app submission but you can get it done in about a work week while iOS is a usually a couple of work weeks.

Yeah. I probably won’t aim for a simultaneous launch for now since I want to keep things as simple as reasonable but we’ll see... I’m not even 100% set on those two platforms either. Switch could be cool too and probably a good match for the game’s possible audience.

At least I do prefer running a beta on Steam as opposed to testflight and I think that random beta players in general are more responsive and easier to interact with on Steam.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Stick100 posted:

Beta players are still pretty hard to find on Steam. You'll have to find them yourself, but it's really easy to run a beta on Steam. I haven't done iOS development in the age of TestFlight so I don't know how easy that is now.

You’re right, the beta testers won’t be there automatically. I mostly just think that Steam users have a higher concentration of people who are into games enough that they won’t merely test a game for fun but they’ll also gladly engage with the developer and other testers. It also helps that the Steam community features and friends list for communicating with testers are built right into the platform where the testing happens. That greatly lowers the friction of getting the information to flow back from testers when compared to testflight.

My previous testflight experience as a dev was from a few years ago too and back then just getting the device ID was a hassle. I seem to recall that at least that part has gotten easier now. Getting crash dumps to the dev does still seem to require iTunes which kinda sucks since even fewer people use it anymore (for good reason).

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I would start off with things that would add value to you beyond that one specific project. If there’s any lack in your hardware, especially the long shelf life stuff like displays, Wacom tablets and speakers and heaphones, I’d get those first. A good chair is invaluable and maybe an electric adjustable desk for standing up while working once in while or other ergonomy things like foot rests. Next would be licenses for software, sfx libraries, substance materials, unity or ue assets, whatever. If you don’t have a license for an online backup solution or a similar automated, offsite and secure arrangement, get it now (you should have one even without the 10k).

When those are sorted to a satisfactory state I’d start looking into the more perishable stuff like licensing music or hiring a musician for a track or two, trailer editing and VO, graphic design, web design. Depends entirely on where your weak spots are. Facebook/twitter/instagram/etc marketing could be considered too.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Dewgy posted:

Called out sick today but still needed to feel productive, so I brushed up my UE skills and popped together a quick little knockoff of Pete's Peak/Ice Cold Beer.

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/LinedWellinformedFulmar
https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/DismalDangerousIcelandgull

It went surprisingly well!

e: nobody tell Taito i’m stealing their poo poo pls thanks it’s just for practice anyway :v:

https://gfycat.com/ScaryPolishedArctichare

e again because i dont wanna double post:
god drat do i love UE4

I could see this being hella fun as a local coop race! Just add a board for each player, and some powerups on the tracks which either help you or sabotage the other players.

I started to refactor things in my robot puzzler, Stuffo🤖, a bit in order to get rid of physics raycasts and overlap checks happening all over the place. Those were always intended as a temporary proto solution anyways and luckily I had funneled it all through 2 or 3 functions. This should make interactions between blocks and other things a lot easier to manage and develop further and the coupling between all the various interactions should become much looser once I finish it. Performance will be improved a lot too but I have a feeling it wouldn't have been an issue at least on PC.

I've been positively surprised how painless the transition has been so far. I feel almost like a real programmer! :downs:

I also tweaked the background palette since everything started to turn into a blueish mush.

It's been a long time coming but I also created a simple & straightforward website for my solo project/freelancing company today: http://hapatus.com/. Never been a fan of webdev stuff but I have to admit I almost had fun putting it together :). I used Bootstrap for the style/layout of the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Bert of the Forest posted:

Little bit of progress on untitled birbs project:

I figured I'd have to buckle down and figure out a sane solution for texturing these little fellas after realizing my pipeline of "Auto UV unwrap sphere + Paint over model in Photoshop so I don't have to deal with UV garbage" wasn't going to last if I were gonna be hashing out lots of fun designs in future, so I dove back into Blender hoping I would get my head around it and come up with a sane wrapping. Looking into it, turns out wrapping spheres sanely is like some kind of black magic, so after banging by head against the wall for a bit, I opted to download a free sanely textured sphere instead and used that as my base. Hey world, I'm a professional! :v:

Nonetheless, it was of course waaaay easier to work with, and now I can paint lots of little details without much worry about how it will look when wrapped. Thanks, internet!

While I was at it I decoupled the eyes from the texture and pasted em on as sprites so I can more easily change them for different expressions in future. Also started work on this little counselor fella - though I haven't the courage to try and figure out what goes into sanely wrapping Capsule shapes yet for his body there. Gnuhhh.

Looks great! Super stylish. The traditional way of creating a sphere with sane UV mapping and topology is to start with a lowpoly cube (6 polys), unwrap it and apply a few passes of subdivision. The one you downloaded was clearly done that way. You can do a capsule in a similar way with an elongated cube that has two additional edge loops around its midriff. You can control the tightness of the capsule caps’ slopes by sliding these two edge loops. Just don’t go too crazy with the polygon densities.