Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Lucid Dream posted:

Working on a game that is similar to another game that is also in development is weird and makes me feel weird. Heres a screenshot from the video I uploaded last night and a tweet from the lead guy on Starbound a couple hours ago:

I guess it could legitimately be a coincidence, but seriously what the heck?

Ha that's got to be a crazy coincidence. What are you developing your game in? I'd like to get some practice on a 2D platformer type game in something other than Flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

How's Unity for 2D game programming. Does it support 2D physics like it does 3D? I'm trying to figure out the next framework I should try to learn for 2D game making aside from AS3.

Lucid almost makes me want to go with XNA, I've only briefly looked into it, and I kind of liked the whole content system it has going. But I'm afraid that the lack of future support might catch up to me at some point.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

eeenmachine posted:

*broken record time*

Futile has been amazing to develop 2d games in. He's still working on getting native physics support added though.

Our game Sky Burger hit #1 on Amazon the other day (made with Futile)!

That's something to look into for sure. I'm not too familiar with Unity at all to be honest so I don't know what tools I would be missing if I used futile. Unity supports multiple programming languages correct? And futile is a C# library for it?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

So I've been doing some experimenting with Unity, I'm trying to setup a 2D pixel/particle based destructable terrain test (think Worms, or Cortex Command). At the moment I have each "Pixel" a 2x2 square, and I'm currently reading an enormous xml file to load the level. I realize there's probably a much smaller storage format for that but that's not really the issue at the moment.

My issue is with Unity iseach of those pixels have a small box collider, since I'm loading something like 300,000 pixels, that's a lot of colliders. When I actually test it, it runs understandably slow. So I'm trying to think of another solution. There's probably a way I can dynamically generate the collider, and update it whenever there's a change to it. I'm kind of following a Java based guide here: https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/coding-destructible-pixel-terrain-how-to-make-everything-explode--gamedev-45 (Since it's all I could find).

Has anyone had any experience setting something like this up?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll take a look into some and give em a try.