Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I'm going to be in the market for a laptop within the next couple months. Primary use will be general daily internetting, but I want something that can potentially, in the future, do some light to moderate game development. (I'm not going to be making a 3D AAA powerhouse or anything)

Not necessarily looking for a specific recommendation, but are there things I should look out for? Will I be waiting forever for things to compile if I don't have a beefy processor, ridiculous amount of RAM, and fast SSD or is budget equipment now generally fast enough nowadays that I won't really have issues?

I do a ton of coding for work but all of that compiles on a crazily specced remote workstation so I have absolutely no perspective on what is necessary nowadays.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Memory and CPU speed are going to be your primary concerns. You really want enough memory to hold your entire project in memory, especially if you're working with Unreal Engine. When I dropped from 64GB to 32GB of RAM, my compilation times in UE went up by something like a factor of 3. Even in other engines, you want to minimize your iteration time. While working on Waves of Steel (in Unity, with 32GB of RAM), it typically took me 30-45 seconds to recompile the game and then get back into play mode, and that was really tedious. I was never really able to bring that number down to my satisfaction; Unity just took a long time to link and to get into play mode.

Thanks! That's good context. Looks like I'll be trying to find something with expandable memory since :lol: at 64GB laptop prices.