Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i'm learning how to build a game, and i'm working on a top down rpg

i'm stuck in the asset building phase right now because i'm working with pixel studio and while it does what i want, exporting images means it won't let me load them to gm2 without resizing it to 512px (??), and i can never work on the same asset twice because it won't let me load back into pixel studio on a 32px grid. i can't automate lines, i can't flip images. basically the only thing it has going for it right now is the colour palette wheel. i spent like 2.5 hours making my little character into a walking sprite and i'm not 100% happy with it but trying to replicate it makes me want to walk into the ocean.

what programs are people using to animate pixel art? i don't want to animate directly in gm2 because i want to be able to back up the assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Bronze Fonz posted:

Assuming gm2 is GameMaker, something is wrong here because there's no reason it should limit you to 512 or anything else.

The image editor in GM has a "Convert to frames" menu option that gives you a spritesheet-to-animation tool that should be more than excellent for this purpose.

Check your Game Options in GM and see if your texture pages aren't set to 512x512 though I'm not sure GM cares about the size of your sprites even then.

How exactly is it limiting you to 512, are your imported sprites getting resized on import?

to be clear, it's not limiting me to 512. i want the sprites to be a max of 32. it's forcing me to resize 32px sprites to 512, which i have to resize in the image editor, and if i want to rework the same sprite in pixel studio. gamemaker isn't the issue in this process, it's the actual program i'm using to design sprites. if i export 32px sprites as their original size, pixel studio straight up refuses to do it.

minidracula posted:

I'm unqualified as a pixel artist of any stripe really, but I'm using some mix of GrafX2, GraphicsGale, and Aseprite, FWIW.

i will check these out!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Mercury_Storm posted:

Been working on a virtual chicken pen where you can feed animals, and something happened

your chicken has evolved into Weird Pelican!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

anatomi posted:

Today I learned that you can right-click on a Color constructor in Godot's script editor and insert the values via a color picker. It's beautiful. It's gonna save me so much time.

i just switched to Godot so this is helpful

one of my friends is also developing a game and he's a lot more experienced than i am so i am very excited