Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.
I've been working on this game for about 3 years now and I just BIRTHED it yesterday.
The launch went smoother than I thought. I can finally afford to upgrade my SA account ;)

Enjoy! Good night goons. I'm taking it easy for a bit!

https://twitter.com/TheCrystalStory/status/1745959342505934937

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Dieting Hippo posted:

Congrats on the launch!

Thank you so, so, much!
I can finally take a nap! :D

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Shoehead posted:

Spent a little time this week doing zombie things.. Playing RE2 and 4 has been reminding me how decent zombie mechanics work.

https://x.com/Shoehead_art/status/1745841655360495776?s=20

The only thing wrong with this is that they fall over very randomly and I want it to be.. semi consistent.. Maybe some sort of modifier that increases every time you hit em or something.

I'm going to revamp their attack to make them kind of hustle over to you first. Just a distance closer. And after a nasty variant that will free their arms after you hurt them who will do grabs on you. After that it'll all have to be placement.

Its funny to think that something like RE 1 and 2 were so tense and iconic with such small rosters.

I love this.
You make such awesome stuff, Shoehead. :)

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

That camera is looking great, Shoehead :)

Thank y'all so much! I'm getting a head start on bug fixes and balancing some stuff, but I'm chilling otherwise. B)

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

SerthVarnee posted:

Congratulations!

Also, there might be some settings I'd love to see in regards to photo-sensitivity, but I'll let you lie down and sleep for a week or two first. You deserve it.

It's on my docket ;)
I plan on revising the effects for this case, and will be adding it to the options menu along with controller mapping and few other things.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Oh drat, I didn't even see this! lmao
I've been in bugfix land today, but this is absolutely nuts. I wasn't expecting this at all!

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Much appreciated! B)
I'm about to release a big 'ol bugfix update tomorrow morning, lol!

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Congrats that's awesome :)

Thanks, A LOVELY LAD B)

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

SerthVarnee posted:

Since you don't have PMs or haven't turned them on, I'll just write out my feedback here.

00:23 the screen shake is far too much for me to handle. An ability to turn it off or turn it down massively would be very appreciated.

00:25 ...ow... screen shake, white flash, background color combination and the way the background is moving. All of them are a problem in and of themselves (except the color combination, that one would be fine if the rest are fixed), but together they just end up punching me in the brain.

00:30 the fireball flashing is less than great.

00:32 again with the flashing and the screen shake at the same time. Or even just either of them.

00:39 oh god the moving background. light and dark contrast is also a wee bit too much, but not too bad.

00:41 the final part of that explosion is very unhealthy for me.

00:49 same with the screen wide flash and the localized flashes.

00:58 same issue again. I'm starting to think that I basically only have two or so issues all the way through, well except for that one at the 25 second mark anyways.

01:14 nyargh too many colors, too much simultaneous movement.

And that's it! Great looking game, couple of color, flashing and shaking related issues, but that's not too bad really.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go sit quietly over here while the dancing lights clear out of my sight again and I'm not feeling lightheaded.

I think I'll be able to get the flashing handled in the first big update I'll be releasing - I've been working on it! ;)
The shaking thing might take me a bit longer, but I'll get this handled too.

I just upgraded my account, let me go find out how to get PM's turned on, haha

But for the rest of this month, I'm going to try and take it easy. :)

EDIT: PM's are on now, if any folks need me!

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Evil Trout posted:

Working on something for a future game. Don't wanna talk about it much yet but this is what we have so far:

(I'm aware the posters are copyrighted, they are placeholders :) )

I'm excited to see what this will be! Looks cool. B)

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Brettbot posted:

Whatever it is, it looks cool!

Since my last post, I decided to make the switch from Pygame to Gamemaker. I've been working on learning the new syntax and shortcuts, so I don't have much to show for it yet. You can sign players and click on them on the bench, but you can't assign them to the lineup yet.

https://imgur.com/eHXnVN6.mp4

But I have ALSO decided to pull back on my scope (which I guess is always a good thing) and focus on a specific theme! Instead of just being a modern hockey sim and letting you choose ALL of the options, I think I want to focus on the pre-/early-NHL days. As a hockey fan, I think the early 1900s were a fascinating time, when there were many competing amateur, semi-pro, and pro leagues with 3-6 teams each sprinkled throughout the US and Canada. I could see it being not a pure sim-only, but with story-type decision/event popups, although I'm not sure if I want to go in that direction. Pick a region, set your rules, try to keep your league alive, etc.

I've been using GameMaker for the past 6 years and it is so rad. Just about anything I can think of doing in 2D I can.

You might find yourself increasing your scope later on the more you learn how to use it. ;) Taking it bit-by-bit and learning it is the best!

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

I'm trying to get into a habit of posting stuff on here. :P

I'm working on adding personal rooms for my first big content update for my game:
https://twitter.com/TheCrystalStory/status/1748545769781502267/video/1

This is super-duper early stuff, but I think folks might have fun with it. :)

Also, that's cool af shoehead (I can't remember if I said that already).

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pushin' pixels this afternoon…
https://twitter.com/TheCrystalStory/status/1754233384652472780

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

TW0 posted:

New volumetric clouds as well as shadow rendering on the distant terrain.

I was really impressed with what Red Dead Redemption II was able to achieve on the hardware it ran on. It even looks beautiful on my laptop with a 680M. Like Rockstar, I want the world to look like a landscape painting rather than reality.

drat this looks good!!!

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

This was fun to mock-up. I've got a lot of the basic stuff done behind the curtain, too. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Super-duper rough capture of some stuff I'm working on, so there's not much here besides this "dummy" enemy :P

I'm adding a questing/hunt system in my game as a future update, and I needed to make some tougher enemies with considerably more HP:
https://twitter.com/TheCrystalStory/status/1765786507980280068/video/1