Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I've been playing around with recording decent video of my game and getting it onto youtube, but I figured while I had something uploaded I might as well share a video of this sweet cabinet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQXwFt-xcbM

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I feel like I've gotten past a lot of the boring poo poo on my project and I get to spend a significant portion of my time doing fun stuff. Here is a video of an energy shotgun and an AI NPC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaTzbHjemEQ

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Shalinor posted:

This looks awesome, but your dude pulling out a shake weight to buff out there did make me giggle.

(I realize it's meant to be a sort of momentum generator, but still... shake weight)

Ahahaha yeah, technically it is a "Magnetic Inductor" but we always refer to it as the shake weight.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Heres a video of a bow and arrows and a monster thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAc3tiAWmEU

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 3, 2012

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Heres a sweet pic for screenshot saturday. We had to change the name of our game from Space Game to A Game in Space because some jerk wanted 160k for spacegame.com >=(

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 10, 2012

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Mug posted:

Someone owns the exact name I want for my game with .com, but I got .net and then just got [mygamename]game.com as well.

Yeah, unfortunately spacegame.com and .net were taken, and spacegamegame.com wasn't exactly ideal, although we did consider it.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Looks like a bird maybe?

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

I'm glad you're making that game. I was making a similar game (although it was top down and intended to be a tablet game) awhile back but I like your take on it way better.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
More video recording testing, figured I'd share (HD):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WyxiIXWcCI

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Mug posted:

Holy crap this is so good.

Thanks =)

Hover posted:

God drat everyone's projects look so nice with "art assets" and "sound".
I'm lucky enough to be working on my game with Bilgewater who is doing the awesome art among other things, and we made contact with a couple really cool indie bands for music, but we've got almost no sounds in the game. We're in kind of a sticky place because we have like zero budget until we do a Kickstarter or something and neither of us are particularly good at sound design. We either need to find a really talented well rounded sound designer willing to work on faith until we start generating some money or half-rear end the sounds ourselves until we can hire a sound designer.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Mercury_Storm posted:

freesounds.org man! Even with some very basic mixing ability you can get good sounds off there. For the animal sounds you could probably find some free or cheap samples around the net.
Yeah, that'll probably work in the short term at least until we get some kind of funding.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Are you basically doing Terraria with better graphics?
Kinda sorta, we want to do something closer to a castlevania or metroid but on a procedurally generated planet, so at least initially it'll have mostly static dungeon-type stuff that drives the plot forward. Eventually we'd like to do diablo style semi-random dungeons, and some day we'd like to do fully randomized asteroids and junk to explore. It does have all the crafting/mining/etc stuff that terraria has though.

Mercury_Storm posted:

If so you probably don't need tons of money or to do a kickstarter or anything. From what you have now it seems like if you kept working on it you could have it finished without extra budget, unless you wanted to speed up the whole thing by hiring people.
Well, we have a lot done but we still have a ton left to do and I have no job or anything in the interim, so we're going to have to do something to generate money whether its through kickstarter and/or desura alpha funding or something similar.

The White Dragon posted:

Is it gonna be like a single-player world exploration sort of thing, or will it be a Game For Bros? I get a real "Valley Without Wind, Except Not lovely" vibe from it.
Definitely full online coop, although we're not making any real effort to have the multiplayer be secure at this point, so it'll be more of a game to play with friends as opposed to random pubbies, at least initially.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 11, 2012

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Nition posted:

Hey, you're the guys who contacted me back in March about using my music in your game!

Ah yeah, I think Bilgewater was the one that got in contact with ya, I'm a big fan of your music too =)

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Nition posted:

Yeah it was. You've got really nice fluid animations going on there. Although I didn't fail to notice that many of your poor animals are stuck in a hole.

Haha yeah, the animals have very little awareness of their surroundings yet, just finished making it so they are smart enough to not fall into holes they can't get out of. unless they are spooked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzbyWwiUrm8

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 13, 2012

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
screenshot saturday hellya

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Got a sweet respawner thing working today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1QroIINSqg

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I think we're mostly done with the functional bits of crafting, heres a video that shows how we're going to do tools and work table-type stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rycNfX8MNB8

Basically the way it works is that you'll need certain tools to craft some things, so you can either carry the tool around with you and craft the stuff whenever, or you can stick it on a work table and use it when you're in range of the table. Because we're not going with a grid based inventory we'll have to use item weights as the limiting factor in terms of how much you can carry, so eventually you'll have a bunch of tools and will have to decide between taking your big sack of tools or more ammo or something, but if you know you'll need certain tools you can bring just those along with you.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 23, 2012

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Screenshot Saturday all up in this piece.

Edit:
\/\/ Thanks, we're prepping a video for Steam Greenlight, and then we're going to put all our effort towards getting a multiplayer alpha of the first planet ready for a kickstarter, so it shouldn't be too long =D

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 24, 2012

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

TJChap2840 posted:

EDIT: What resources have you guys used for procedural generation? I'm interested in making a tile map, but the resources I have seen aren't as clear as I'd like them to be.

Well, theres this which is definitely a decent launching point for procedural junk.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

TJChap2840 posted:

Yep, I have looked through that. My problem is, everybody has a different explanation for how to implement...let's say Perlin Noise, and they don't show you how to turn the outcome into a game via tiles. I'd like to get to a point where I truly understand what I am implementing and not have to look at a resource for it every time I want to do it.

Unfortunately if your experience is anything like mine, you'll never be able to find a satisfying amount of resources on the specifics. Part of the problem is that the specifics of the implementation depend entirely on what it is you want to do exactly.

As far as turning perlin noise into a tile map specifically, the way I do it is to pass tile locations to a 2d perlin function and using the resulting value as a threshold for specific tiles. In my case I'm generating a world, so I pass a tile location to my noise function and if the resulting value is less than a certain value it might be sand, and greater than a certain value it might be dirt etc. You'll probably need to layer the noise too, like in my case I use several different perlin functions to generate the base terrain tiles then I use another one to etch out tunnels and then I use a 1d function as a height map to cut out the surface. By using a threshold like that I can vary it depending on things like how deep the tile is so that tunnels get wider/stone becomes more prevalent/ore densities change/etc as you get deeper.

(Actually, I use a 4d function along with some crazy math I completely don't understand to generate the noise so that it loops horizontally in order to make it a seamless world, but thats probably super specific to my case.)

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
yay screenshots

Here is a screenshot of me hunting some glowing ants in plated hide armor.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Vino posted:

Hello goons. Behold my weak attempt at a Minecraft clone!
Ooh neat, I was just saying to a buddy last night that I can't wait for someone to make a minecraft clone with actual spherical planets =D

Dunno if this is the right place to ask, but do you guys think I'd be better off putting gameplay videos on youtube at 1080p or 720p? 1080p gives you a better idea of what the game looks like full screen, but everything is super tiny if you watch it at the default size on youtube.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Mug posted:

Here's a video of me doing a little bit of play-testing.

Looks awesome, I know its been said before but I love the menu popups that look like they are in the world, so cool.

Heres a video I've been working on this week, we're putting together some media so we can list our game on Steam Greenlight, it seems like the most obvious way to get some exposure prior to putting up a Kickstarter eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orUXtFOeeio

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Vankwish posted:

That's looking great. I was going to comment that it was strange to see a space based game without a space background but then it changed to all stars. :)

I think you are going to have great success with that. I think you should consider allowing the character to run to create faster combat which I know I would prefer. Maybe giving the little fella a jetpack instead if you want to keep the more sedate feel. The jetpack could give him some speed for short bursts to liven up combat while keeping the rest of the game peaceful.

I assume it's early days still for your game, just like it is for mine. You seem to have focussed lots of your time into the graphics and interface whereas I went the opposite way around and I'm focussing on getting the gameplay sorted first and polishing the graphics later.

You can see mine here if you are interested :

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=111075014

It's only been on Greenlight for a week but I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about my experience with it so far.

Actually the player can already run, I probably just edited out most of the running around. Also: totally doing jetpacks and all kinds of other locomotion gimmicks, we've just sorta been adding content from the ground up in terms of the loose tech progression. We wanted the first sorta gameplay trailer to give you an idea of how the game starts out (with basically nothing but the clothes on your back) but we'll definitely include clips of the more high tech stuff when we start putting together the Kickstarter video when we get to that point.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 8, 2012

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Working on a game that is similar to another game that is also in development is weird and makes me feel weird. Heres a screenshot from the video I uploaded last night and a tweet from the lead guy on Starbound a couple hours ago:

I guess it could legitimately be a coincidence, but seriously what the heck?

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 9, 2012

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Ha that's got to be a crazy coincidence. What are you developing your game in? I'd like to get some practice on a 2D platformer type game in something other than Flash.

I'm using XNA. Its been a dream to work with, but I don't really know if I'd recommend it at this point as it appears that Microsoft is dropping support for it. Its apparently somewhat easy to port XNA stuff to monogame though, so its probably still going to be relevant for awhile regardless of what Microsoft does. I'm especially fond of the fact that a new project in XNA has the vast majority of the boilerplate code (basic installation, gpu acceleration, etc) done for you and you can pretty much immediately start prototyping gameplay.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Orzo posted:

What kind of things do you use XNA for? If it's just graphics and a game loop, then it's probably super easy to convert your game to using SharpDX or SlimDX. Then you can keep all of your C# almost exactly how it is.

Oh yeah, there are plenty of options like that I just haven't bothered switching yet because XNA is still working fine for me, but I probably wouldn't start a new project in XNA at this point. We'll probably switch to something before we're finished primarily to be able to target more than just windows.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Orzo posted:

Sounds like a good decision. But it looks like you have a lot there already...is it going to be easy for you to port to another language? Like, is a lot of your game logic in scripts or something?

Nah, I mean I'll probably eventually switch away from XNA and over to monogame which is just an open source implementation of the XNA Framework that allows you to build for all the major platforms, I'd still stick with C#.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
implemented a sweet turret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky1T0PBWVyk

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

eeenmachine posted:

Awesome, now make it mountable to that sheep.

We don't have any plans add turrets to sheep, but thats not to say that no animals will be weaponized.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Furret Basket posted:

Aaand that's the kind of thing your trailer needs.

Haha yeah. We went about the trailer the wrong way, I figured people would rather see us just playing the game from the beginning to prove that its actually a game and not a collection of neat things, so we spent a lot of time polishing up a bunch of stuff that really didn't even need to be shown yet when we could have been implementing more cool things. The beginning of the game has the least interesting items and junk really, so the new trailer I'm working on focuses on showing clips of neat things so that is definitely more likely to hold people's attention.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I've come to the conclusion that making fun stuff is more fun than making boring stuff. I've recently developed the technology to weaponize dogs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB5mEh-9qlk
and also this thing exists now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-6b7sGrhcg

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Nition posted:

But why must you always kill the innocent animals. :(
(I suspect because you don't have evil enemies to kill yet?)

Nah they're just easy prey!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78sjhCYd324

edit: for real though, we have like 3 mostly fleshed out larger scale badguys so far, they spawn less frequently in addition to the trash and/or passive mobs. We have done like zero balancing yet but ideally we want the larger mobs to be kinda like mini bosses, real hassles to take down but you get sweet stuff when you do.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 12, 2012

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Crossposting this from the greenlight thread, anyone see any glaring problems with this trailer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uZqcvl3TiM

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Screenshot saturday! We worked on clothes and junk this week, check it out:

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Mug posted:

It's been a while since I added anyone new to the OP, are there any new game dev people about who want their twitter / facebook or blogs added to the list at the start of the thread?

Sure, @playsignsoflife on twitter, https://www.facebook.com/playsignsoflife on facebook and our website is http://www.playsignsoflife.com

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Screenshot Saturday, the best kind of Saturday! Most of the stuff we did this week was concept stuff for menus and behind the scenes junk (which you can read about on our dev blog if you want) but here is a reworked version of the mining suit and a cool sci-fi energy blade thing:

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Phew this week flew by. I posted another dev blog on our site, this time about the UI in our game. Here is a gif of a lightning gun I'm still working on:

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Posted a new dev blog entry on our site: http://playsignsoflife.com/archives/447 check it out if you're interested in crafting and junk.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I've got a list of abandoned projects a mile long, but I feel like that is the process any indie dev has to go through before they hit on something that they really want to finish. It also helps that I'm working on my current project with someone else, something that I've never had on projects in the past and it has really helped me stay motivated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

PDP-1 posted:

but the CPU can kick out new instances of Random faster than the clock can tick so if you create a bunch of Random's in a short amount of time you might find that groups of them have the same seed and produce the same sequence of pseudorandom output.

So THATS what was going on, gah. I ran into that issue awhile back and ended up switching to the static random instance solution but never really knew why I was getting screwy results before.