Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grogquock
May 2, 2009
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's almost definitely the second thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Am I the only one who noticed that it's laser Budais, and not Buddhas?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I don't think "best neurologist ever" is gonna be enough to get out of this one, but even without the chip Aisha always had the best ideas.

Cardinal Ximenez posted:

Am I the only one who noticed that it's laser Budais, and not Buddhas?

And the angels aren't flaming wheels of eyeballs at all.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Presumably Ulf's robots are based on the interpretation of the holy texts that whoever wrote the virus believes, not the actual texts.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Carrasco posted:

I don't think "best neurologist ever" is gonna be enough to get out of this one, but even without the chip Aisha always had the best ideas.

And the angels aren't flaming wheels of eyeballs at all.

And you have to duct-tape salmons to your head when you go to mass. Ulf may have become a supergenius through hyperthreading his brains, but he's still Ulf.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Carrasco posted:

Yeah, she's smart compared to Ulf, I think she's fine.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Read the narration in David Attenborough's voice.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Alright, seems like we'll be hitting the singularity within the month.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
I hope we get a more involved ending to this one. I like the narration turn, but I'm slightly worried about how its blazing through stuff. TASS ended with such a dull thump after an endless (and fairly dull) comedy of errors, but maybe he's keeping himself interested this way.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Grogquock posted:

I hope we get a more involved ending to this one. I like the narration turn, but I'm slightly worried about how its blazing through stuff. TASS ended with such a dull thump after an endless (and fairly dull) comedy of errors, but maybe he's keeping himself interested this way.

Given how long his other comics have been, I won't be surprised at all if it turns out this is all just the introduction to whatever insane story he has actually planned, now that two different people both have brain chips (and how many more and more varied alternate universes that can create).

For comparison, today was comic 160 of Brain Chip. TASS ended up having 508 comics and Hitmen had 586.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Aw, Aisha. I know that feeling, although maybe not from connecting to alternate universes and turning into the greatest neurologist of all time.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Carrasco posted:

Aw, Aisha. I know that feeling, although maybe not from connecting to alternate universes and turning into the greatest neurologist of all time.

Cat Mattress posted:

Ulf isn't smart. His hivemind is powerful, but not clever.

There's plenty of examples of that. The whole "replacing leaders with robots" thing for example: once he had the idea, he had the brainpower to implement it, but not the wit to foresee how it could backfire horribly. Another example if that he's able to build a holodisguise sombrero that changes how the wearer's head looks, but forgot about the arms and legs.

So the Ulf are perfectly able to solve the problem "how to make religion contagious" without ever asking themselves "is that really a good idea".

This is troubling because it implies that Aisha is, and always has been, qualitatively substantially smarter than Ulf.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The first Aisha to ever use the chip is substantially more experienced and mature than the Aisha that existed back when she first met Ulf, she has the advantage of having spent all this time watching Ulf lose his mind trying to fix the world and knowing what not do to, as well as having a clear goal to pursue.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Sizone posted:

This is troubling because it implies that Aisha is, and always has been, qualitatively substantially smarter than Ulf.

This isn't really new, though. Ulf couldn't figure out why Vera wanted to study the stock market, Aisha could; Ulf couldn't figure out how to escape from the Twelve Revelations, Aisha could.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Ulf has high int but low wisdom.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Uh oh. This is gonna take some process of elimination.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
At least there are billions of Aishas to get it right!

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Transdimensional war would get weird very quickly. If Ulf is still connected, the other Ulfs might start making airstrikes on known Aisha locations, plus make the TV announcements, just to be safe. But Aisha can duplicate instantly, so a few versions of her would continue to survive through a series of increasingly improbable events.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The multiUlf-multiAisha interaction is going to be really confusing, since their multiples exist in the same universes. So it'll be peak-Thorsby.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

HBar posted:

Transdimensional war would get weird very quickly. If Ulf is still connected, the other Ulfs might start making airstrikes on known Aisha locations, plus make the TV announcements, just to be safe. But Aisha can duplicate instantly, so a few versions of her would continue to survive through a series of increasingly improbable events.

I don't think it works like this though. Aisha in Ulf dimension (let's just say:) xxxxxA got the chip and began splitting into multiple Aisha dimensions, so effectively all Aishas are going after the same version of Ulf. This Ulf could communicate with other Ulf chip Ulfs as usual, but I'm assuming not with any of the alternate Ulf splits caused by Aisha's dimensional split button presses. One week has passed since Aisha had the implant, so I guess there are two Ulf's who are dealing with roughly the same thing right now. Can the Aishas splitting in Ulf dimension xxxxxA communicate with the Aishas splitting in Ulf dimension xxxxxB? I'm inclined to think no.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

On the other hand this seems to be from a dimension where Vera didn't get her head torn off, like the Aisha we were following earlier. I am also amazed there is enough of an economy left for a promised reward to mean anything with Buddha/Jesus robots tearing everything up.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ZearothK posted:

On the other hand this seems to be from a dimension where Vera didn't get her head torn off, like the Aisha we were following earlier. I am also amazed there is enough of an economy left for a promised reward to mean anything with Buddha/Jesus robots tearing everything up.

Well Vera getting killed started happening after Aisha had the chip, and after she had already split enough times to become an expert on brain surgery, so there's probably a ton of Veras left over in universes, just not the central universe with the original Ulf and Aisha.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This Ulf went looking for Vera, so Aisha can try the same thing again, with even more Buddhabots, but in a universe where Vera is already dead. So the crowd-sourced search for Vera will fail.

Aisha would be well inspired to reuse the sombrero of disguise, however.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

This will never end because all it takes is for Ulf or Aisha to infect each other's brains and now they're at war with infinite Aisha/Ulfs.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
The last panel here is made all the more chilling by the perfection of its English.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

The tiny success rate isn't as bad as it might seem. The Ulf-killers can quickly duplicate into a gargantuan brain bank to serve all the other Aishas who still have to focus on survival.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

This comic from space spy pretty much sums up Thorsby: http://spacespy.thecomicseries.com/comics/251

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jesus gently caress, at this point Ulf is literally trying to destroy the world to kill Aisha.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

This comic started with a loser trying to game the lottery and now it casually includes a panel of the moon being pushed into the sun.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Now that they're messing with time, I wonder if all the nuclear coincidences at the start of the story are actually their own doing.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

That seems unlikely.

Also re: the previous comic, the whole thing feels kind of pointless now knowing that even if Aisha wins, humanity still gets screwed.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Carrasco posted:

That seems unlikely.

Also re: the previous comic, the whole thing feels kind of pointless now knowing that even if Aisha wins, humanity still gets screwed.

Ehhnn, blind worship and adoration of Aisha is still poo poo tons better than christianity or death. It wouldn't really be that much different than reality except humanity would be worshiping aisha instead of money.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I just reread Hitmen, what the hell is the thing carrying away the McGuffin orb in comic 577?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sizone posted:

I just reread Hitmen, what the hell is the thing carrying away the McGuffin orb in comic 577?

Just one of the henchmen dudes working for that guy whose name I don't remember.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

ChairMaster posted:

Just one of the henchmen dudes working for that guy whose name I don't remember.

A couple problems with that, he comes from out of nowhere and that guy who he's working for, whose name you don't remember, is super dead.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Sizone posted:

A couple problems with that, he comes from out of nowhere and that guy who he's working for, whose name you don't remember, is super dead.

The orb disappears after that so it could be a dropped plot thread. People are still fighting over the orb until the portal closes so maybe that little guy wants godhood and lost track of time.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Fumaofthelake posted:

The orb disappears after that so it could be a dropped plot thread. People are still fighting over the orb until the portal closes so maybe that little guy wants godhood and lost track of time.

Doesn't the orb not work anymore after the portal closes? As I recall the prophecy needed someone to be in the right place at the right time, and my impression was that the orb was now worthless.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

maou shoujo posted:

Doesn't the orb not work anymore after the portal closes? As I recall the prophecy needed someone to be in the right place at the right time, and my impression was that the orb was now worthless.

Went ahead and reread, full prophecy is spelled out in Terminated Termites. Portal opens once every 236. Orb's not exactly useless as it is a long term investment.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I only reread about 30 or so strips, but do the underlings know what the orb is supposed to do or do they just know it's valuable/important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
It's a Thorsby cartoon, so I'd imagine that one of them thinks it's valuable, another thinks it's a bomb, and a third has mistaken it for an aphrodisiac that his wife has tasked him to get for her boss but that he secretly plans to switch with a truth serum.

• Locked thread