Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Only 4,467 died or went missing. The rate rose steadily after week 5 and peaked in week 14, then dropped rapidly. Since week 17 the death rate has been well below what you'd expect for a city with Ulf's population, which makes sense because he's relatively young and healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
A vaccine for Alzheimer

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Look, Ulf is smart enough to dumb it down for the media.

Now that the nuke problem is solved we have truly exponential growth again. We're approaching the Ulfularity. :ohdear:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah, huh. There will come a point when there are more ulfs across alternate realities than there are people in any one reality.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
"I'm totally sorry about all the AIDS."

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Jesus Christ, that's so fuckin wonderful. Ulf made him read that line specifically as he said it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ulf is so happy with himself.

Blackmail solves everything.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
New comic

Good to be getting back to the tragic romance after TASS, Thorsby's really good at writing that sort of stuff.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The growing number of Ulfs is going to overload the chip sooner or later. Any bets about the number of bits used for universe identification?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
If it's a 32-bit int he's only got 8 or 9 weeks left. :ohdear:

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
The hackers who disabled Sony Pictures have revealed their main demand, which Sony refused to comply with: halt the release of the film The Interview, which features the assassination of Kim Jong-Un. The hackers believe that the release of this film will trigger a nuclear war.

Ulf posted:

Some of the mes learned to hack.

...ULF?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 9, 2014

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

my dad posted:

The growing number of Ulfs is going to overload the chip sooner or later. Any bets about the number of bits used for universe identification?

Wouldn't each split only require the id of the parent + 1 bit? That is, ulfid doesn't need to account for all ulfs, only the branch of ulf responsible for the ulf in question.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They can use variable length quantity and be fine.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Sizone posted:

Wouldn't each split only require the id of the parent + 1 bit? That is, ulfid doesn't need to account for all ulfs, only the branch of ulf responsible for the ulf in question.

Depends on a bunch of stuff. It's webcomicmagictech, so it can be whatever Thorsby wants it to be. I was just wondering if sloppy code/hardware making practices are going to influence Ulfnet somehow.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
New comic reminds me what I like the most about thorsby comics, and what I think is sort of at his core. He doesn't cut any corners when it comes to considering all the ramifications of his premise. The way Ulf has been adjusting to his new 'sense' feels really realistic, and seems faintly analogous to people adjusting to the existence of smartphones and search engines and such.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Why would he care if he dies when there are infinite versions of him

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Why would he care if he dies when there are infinite versions of him

Because those other Ulfs are assholes.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I've noticed something that shows probability at work. Halve a weeks Ulf Number - the number of Ulfs at the very start of that week - and subtract the result from the previous Ulf Number. THe result is the previous week's number of Ulf fatalities - and that number is increasing every week, even though all four of the most likely nuke sources have been eliminated. The more Ulfs there are, the more the dice get rolled, and thus all those fatalities-from-different-causes statistics you hear about become relevant to the Ulfnet.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The number is increasing, but the percentage of dead Ulfs out of the total number has been decreasing every week, so Ulf's efforts at world-saving have been working to some extent.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I like the steady progression of Ulf's shirt from pit-stain to just all-stain.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Sindai posted:

I like the steady progression of Ulf's shirt from pit-stain to just all-stain.

Heh, I missed that.

And it turns out that if Ulf had gone along with his other self fading in during sex that first time, this comic would have been a lot shorter.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Ulf is :mrgw: incarnate now

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

This is getting really weird and dark.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am sure Ulf will lighten up with the day off.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

God he must reek. Been wearing that shirt for weeks.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ulf will take one day off but actually pass out and sleep for like a week and all his plans will fall apart.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Ulf, please take a shower :gonk:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I just noticed that over the last few strips Asha has gradually moved as far away as possible on the couch.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I'm totally getting callbacks to how the lead's relationship in Hitmen slowly fell apart and didn't come back together. Thorsby is very good at writing that thing realistically, even if the actual language he uses is a bit stilted.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Given Ulf's previously established personality, I'd say this is the part where he reveals he cloned himself to do life stuff while he continues to work.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Close enough. It's like taking off Darth Vader's mask.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Ulf's going to go full Dr. Manhattan by the end of this.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The themes that can be explored due to the chip's existence are starting to run thin.
On the other hand, the themes that can be explored if the chip breaks just keep piling up.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I wonder how many dimensions there are where someone else got the chip implant instead of Ulf.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Silver Snail posted:

I wonder how many dimensions there are where someone else got the chip implant instead of Ulf.

Don't forget that the lady who created the chp simply disappeared. Who knows what she's been up to.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
We still haven't seen what happens when Ulf decides to reinvent the chip and recruits volunteers...

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Great going Ulf, you just killed 10% of yourselves. It's surprising that the timing of the downfall is so consistent across dimensions after 15 near-perfect weeks.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I think this is the point where Asha is supposed to get tired of her boyfriend's schizophrenia.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
http://brainchip.webcomic.ws/comics/132

Panel 4 kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I'm sure no one will notice the differently coloured arms, Ulf.

• Locked thread