Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Kaladihr have eyes on their asses too. Prediction: they, too, are complete cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Grogquock posted:

The author is usually great with his quasi-science material but it looks like there is an issue with the zone flower. It seems like friction in the tubes would cause all the balls to stop moving after a time. They'd eventually come to rest at the midway point between the zones (just like the rocks at the top of the zone) and any energy the plant put into getting them moving again would result in a net expenditure of energy. Am I missing something?

Edit - either the midway point or the top or the bottom of the flower, depending on where they lost their energy.

When all else fails, just say the zoners made them. If they could make zones of different physical laws, they could make perpetual motion plants too.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 13, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Also pretty much all the aliens on this planet have six appendages growing out of their torso, in addition to any extra ones that distinguish themselves from any others. I assume we'll find out why, but it's an interesting thing for the time being.

Note how the eerie spitter has six long, thin, presumably practical appendages, the salivator has six spindly legs, and the flashfish has six small, stubby legs, while the twolesy have six seemingly non-functional appendages that may be mere artifacts of evoultion. It may simply be because they all evolved from the same common ancestor. Like how the life-forms on the Planet of the Invisible Zone all had four nostrils. And like how two nostrils is standard on Earth. If there's an interesting evolutionary reason, though, you can be we'll find out.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 22, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Looks like twolesy spells actually work. Perhaps twolesy have evolved to not only believe in magic, but also to experience biogical effects and changes matching their beliefs. If this is the case, I eagerly await the relevant explanation strip, because I have no idea how this would be an advantageous trait.

As for Ben, it may simply be psychosomatic. I sure so, because otherwise my theory's out the window.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

You do realize what this means, right?

Pokemon evolution is real.

Concerning the six limbs:

Schwarzwald posted:

I'll be surprised if the explanation doesn't tie into the reverse gravity zone, somehow.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. The twolesy evolved more useful limbs but the reverse gravity zone caused them to keep the standard six on their chests.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 2, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

That flying creature must have an interesting wing structure. Technically, it's upside down.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

And indeed we did - it's all in their heads, when it's not also in their bodies.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Eeevil posted:

Next page: a biology update explaining why gravoola demons are invisible to humans.

That would be gloriously, beautifully evil.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Eeevil posted:

Man, these guys sure love describing things that are supposedly plainly visible.

They don't realize its true purpose - to ensure that they all see the same thing. To them, it's culturally normal. To us, they're synchronizing.

Edit: I really, really want Ben (aka Not-Plume) to figure all this out and take advantage of it. He even has a friend who can back him up.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 1, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

scarycave posted:

Great! Now how are they going to off him? Complete accident or self-defense?

Haarp and the spies of Petrevolt think that there's a phony Plume running around. His life will be taken... by farce. :downsrim:

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Theory: All explanation strips feature the writings of Flahrgmahrg Kjarg, renowned xenoanthropologist.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Holy poo poo, a multi-page explanation with page references!

The explanation pages form basically the best textbook ever.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Well That About Wraps It Up For God (TM)

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 16, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

And it's started updating again. You should have seen this coming, Sizone - destiny's kind of dead now.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 28, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Sizone posted:

Are you suggesting there is a Thorsbyverse? That not-Plume is, perhaps the love child product of the illicit affair in Lies, Sisters and Wives?

I was talking about the prophecy you posted, which applies to our universe. If anything, I was implying that we're in the Hitmen for Destiny universe.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

scarycave posted:

:staredog: I just noticed something...

LEAVE NO WITNESSES.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

And here I thought their experience on Sling's World was going to be nice, simple and civil, leaving room for socialization, character development and harmless hijinks.

I am very stupid.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Massive chance for things to go hilariously wrong: their owner told them the states of his wives' careers, but assumed they knew what he wanted them to do. Does he want them to succeed, or to fail? Your guess is as good as theirs.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 18, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I've noticed that their eyes change color, possibly in relation to emotion. We just need to figure out which means what.

scarycave posted:

I want to know where they got those clothes from. Those little baby hands don't seem to useful for crafting of any kind.

Those hands look about the size as Not-Plume's and Dunkirk's.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

ZearothK posted:

It does look like Dunkirk would have an easy time removing those explosive collars.

Too bad they'll explode if he removes them. He'd have more trouble keeping them on. IRONY!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Maybe a head top turning is some kind of thing where you turn an animal's head (animal cruelty),

It's pretty clear that it has something to do with their own anatomy. A head top turning could be something like a massage, or a regularly required thing like a haircut.

Those red things can be assumed to all be buttons, not just some-of-them-are-lights. Perhaps 'Taboo Topics' simulates audience non-preferences, allowing the comedian to learn not to touch on those topics.

Theory: Not-Plume and Dunkirk will offer to upgrade the machine's power source. "Your sense of humor's just too sophisticated to be appreciated by something that doesn't have a crystal in it!"

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 27, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

It says a lot about our homocentricism that I found this dissertation, with its human examples, to be the most completely loving amazing one yet.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 31, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Sizone posted:

Drill's well aware that not-Plume and Dunkirk know gently caress-all his society, as indicated by him calling them out on not knowing the slaving law. Pretty sure he knows what he's doing, it won't be his own ignorance that defeats him, it'll be Thorsby being the author.

There's limits to people's imaginations. Aliens not knowing about laws is easy to imagine. But aliens not knowing about things so basic that one doesn't even consciously realize they exist is decidedly harder.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 9, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Hm, it's the same little white box in every browser I try. Odd.

You might need to clear your cache. To clear your cacha for one page, use Ctrl+F5.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

The way this page's revelation was handled was loving genius. 'Show, don't tell' in action.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 3, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Not-Plume is now almost certainly in deep datima feces. That sticker was undoubtedly put there by the husband, who underestimated the alien-ness of the aliens.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm guessing the transformation to malehood is triggered by changes in social status, so a very successful female becomes a male.

Hence why husbands don't want their wives to become successful - something Not-Plume's owner assumed even he knew.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

This arc is great. It seemed like a typical Thorsby farce, but it's also a mystery story. The mystery being: what's the gimmick?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 15, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I wonder if Not-Plume, aka Ben Stamper, will break the record held by one Mike Nelson. He destroyed three planets!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Sizone posted:

How many planets has ~Plume actually destroyed? He probably made the best loving planet ever even loving better.

edit: ~Plume and Dunkirk finally caught up with their Macguffin, looks like the series is probably drawing to a close.

There's still a big climax coming - Athena Mockhoney got her hands on one of the most potentially dangerous secrets in the universe: the one true unified reason for war.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 7, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Well, how the Allied Human Colonies - seperate from the Petrevoltian government - now have the woman who knows why wars happen. This reminds me of Evan Dahm's comic Order of Tales - it's littered with asides, and one of those asides is also a macguffin.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 15, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Note that neither of them is eating any limbs. Probably because neither of them wants to be stuck at the end of a war of attrition with poo poo for limbs.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 30, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

It's technically not the first time he's drawn him. Technically.

Edit: Holy poo poo. I've realized why this secret is of interest to governments and other political organizations. If this information becomes widespread across civilized space, it could result in greatly reduced participation in wars if the people realize that wars are largely obsolete and no longer benefit them. But if leaders get wind of the information first, they're obviously going to want to keep it secret since they'll know that in most civilized societies, wars only really benefit leaders.

Edit: Of course, in terms of spacefaring societies, it's an all-or-nothing sitation in regards to dumping war; see the Prisoner's Dilemma as applied to morality.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 9, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Grogquock posted:

But Thorsby, if the point of war is to kill members of your own tribe, then your tribe will be weaker and subject being conquered (and the leader killed) by a "cheater" tribe which avoids the self harm game and goes to war only when it comes with a high benefit and relatively low cost to its members. Such as attacking tribes that have killed off a bunch of their own members in ill-considered wars.

This would require awareness of the Thorsbyian Reason for War. Hence the deeper reason why Spoons had to die. Assuming he was correct, he had the potential to severely alter the status quo of the known inhabited universe.

dipwood posted:

But I mean, it's a webcomic about space aliens. Maybe in this 'universe' the very psychology of the universe is different.

He did imply that Earth is a little atypical.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 11, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

How come I still can't read the new page even when I clear my cookies? Can someone upload it on imgur? This has happened to me like 2 or 3 times before.

Ctrl+F5 will clear your cache of the page you're refreshing.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

That's pretty hilarious. You know, people like to be all "biotruths" this and that, but he's totally right. There's a pretty good reason in those charity commercials they always show you the starving african children and not the adults.

To add to the opposite end: just as it hasn't been very long since we outgrew the need to want to eat fatty foods and store body fat, hence our continued instinct to do so, the spacefaring humans of Petrevolt haven't yet evolved an instinctive aversion to the death of a species.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 10, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Edit: Sorry, misread something.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 12, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

It looks like Athena would rather educate people and end problems at their core than take advantage of her own knowledge of the problem's source (such as making the presidents fall in love with more females). The bit in the jail was an emergency situation that affected her directly, and if she'd instead successfully changed Shim's mind about the whole general matter, it wouldn't have been as efficient a use of Athena's techings.

Now who's getting analyzed, Athena?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

:siren:Crazy plan vs. stupid evolutionary remnant:siren:

Calling it now: Athena's going to risk blowing everything by mentioning in the presence of their tjargello stooge that having a fetish for someone completely inaccessible to you is stupid.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Personally, I'm betting on a Cyrano de Bergerac situation.

Dingdingdingdingding! Well, almost.

Whybird posted:

I can't help but feel that our heroes have momentarily stepped into the filming of one of Telltale Studios' point-and-click adventure games.

Thorsby has actually made a couple of text-adventure games. If he did a Kicksta-- wait, he'd need someone in America to run one, and he's basically an outsider artist. If he did an Indiegogo for an adventure game with a programmer and everything, I'd pledge to it like crazy.

• Locked thread