Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I like that in the end Fusk and Vorte turn out alright. They were really the tragic heroes of the whole thing. The comic started with them making one mistake and the story is really just about how that one mistake can snowball into a catastrophe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cat Mattress posted:

They basically have the same body as the local intelligent aliens. So those things on the torso actually are legs. They just evolved their tentacles into arms and legs so their six paws are useless vestiges; while the beast here evolved them into weapons and keeps crawling on its belly.

I really like this. If you look at land vertebrates here on earth, we're all remarkably similar. We all share the same basic skeleton, just with variations in the shapes of the individual bones. A mouse has the same number of neck vertebrae as a giraffe, a bat's wing has the same number of digits as a human hand.

I've never seen a sci-fi writer depict alien evolution and speciation as realistically as Øyvind Thorsby.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I just had a thought. What if there are no real kaladihr? What if it's a natural part of the twolesy's biology that they've evolved out of? There's even precedent for that on earth with the axolotl.

This is an axolotl. It's basically a type of salamander that evolved to freeze its development at the larval stage. It's starting to become a popular aquarium pet these days, but when it was first discovered something interesting happened. A live specimen was sent back to England for study, but first it was injected with iodine to help it survive the trip. When it got there, it looked like this:

The iodine had triggered the release of certain hormones, which started the axolotl's metamorphosis for the first time in millennia (please do not inject your pet axolotl with iodine).

Maybe twolesies are just so suggestible that the idea that they've been cursed is enough to force their brains to trigger their own dormant metamorphoses.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The art in this strip is really adorable sometimes.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hugs Boson posted:

Therefore, I suspect that by asking aliens to help his wives being more successful, Drill Hinge actually wants to sabotage their status, either to harm his wives in some way that is beneficial to him, or to strengthen his control over them by making them appear less attractive to other males.

I think the twist is going to be a lot simpler than that. Drill Hinge didn't tell them to make his wives more successful, he said he had two unsuccessful wives and one successful one, and asked them to help out with the problem.

He is really going to regret not being specific about that.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I get the feeling that this stuff is meant to be how social evolution works in-universe. It's just there to explain how all these crazy civilizations developed.

If it's not, Oyvind Thorsby may be the most cynical person who ever lived.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Actually, from the context it looks like red eyes indicate either surprise or confusion. You shouldn't assume that red means angry just because it's associated with anger in humans. That kind of thing can get you into trouble.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Of course, Trinketjuice can't hear any of these instructions, since she was rendered permanently deaf by having a creature that can talk loud enough to carry on an audible conversation over 50 metres away screaming inside her ear canal.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

After insulting a foreign ambassador to the point of violence, Nostrilstrop went mad, attacked the president, and had to be beaten to death by a small mob of upstanding citizens. Everybody saw it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's a meaningless distinction now. All Ulfs are, from their own perspectives, Ulf #1 anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Now the real storytelling potential of the brain chip is coming out.

http://brainchip.thecomicseries.com/comics/90

• Locked thread