Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grogquock
May 2, 2009
The author is usually great with his quasi-science material but it looks like there is an issue with the zone flower. It seems like friction in the tubes would cause all the balls to stop moving after a time. They'd eventually come to rest at the midway point between the zones (just like the rocks at the top of the zone) and any energy the plant put into getting them moving again would result in a net expenditure of energy. Am I missing something?

Edit - either the midway point or the top or the bottom of the flower, depending on where they lost their energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Eye color is definitely a thing. It looks like orange is hostile, the more orange the more hostile. Take a look at the pictures in the back. The fighting aliens all have dark orange eyes. Everyone else has stayed a lighter orange. Notice body guards eyes go orange as soon as he pulls the gun and they stay that way. Blue is probably neutral. Not sure on greend and pink.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
But Thorsby, if the point of war is to kill members of your own tribe, then your tribe will be weaker and subject being conquered (and the leader killed) by a "cheater" tribe which avoids the self harm game and goes to war only when it comes with a high benefit and relatively low cost to its members. Such as attacking tribes that have killed off a bunch of their own members in ill-considered wars.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Can't black mail Dunkirk without also getting Shim killed. We may see that logic train in the next comic (Not-Plume threatens to reveal Dunkirk, who threatens to then reveal Shim, who at this point is just as guilty for hiding the truth about Not-Plume). Remember, Not-Plume revealed who he was to Shim in front of Dunkirk. Sorry if someone mentioned this already.

(maybe we get a three way team up instead. I mean who the hell is left on the ship who doesn't have a stake in the game? Harp?)

Grogquock fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 6, 2013

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Hmm, too bad he skipped how the trait arose in the first place for this one. It wouldn't seem particularly evolutionarily advantageous, even before it had the chance of causing complete disability.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009

Sizone posted:

Evolution doesn't select for positive traits, it only selects against mutations that are detrimental to keeping the blood line going. In a small enough population, massive amounts of empathy wouldn't necessarily be a drawback. As populations grow, so do culture and technology which counter physical/psychological detriments.

The sociopaths would rule the world! Oh wait they already do.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
It might have helped to rehearse this argument first. Maybe, you know, cite a few hundred historical examples...

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Well that was pretty disappointing, particularly since Hitmen had such a fantastic ending. TASS was quite a bit more meandering though and didn't have numerous story arcs winding to a conclusion. Still, I'm surprised it was so abrupt. We weren't even shown a joyous homecoming, or, even something to tie it into the whole "reason for war" thing (like Ben's got a kid/sibling starting in the military; does he reveal the secret behind the reason for war even though he might be risking all humanity to do so?!). The life he's now chosen to return to has never been a story element. Either Thorsby got incredibly bored with the whole thing, or TASS was really only intended to be a space bestiary, and we now get to experience Ben's disappointment on his sudden and anti-climactic return to the mundane.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's almost definitely the second thing.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
I hope we get a more involved ending to this one. I like the narration turn, but I'm slightly worried about how its blazing through stuff. TASS ended with such a dull thump after an endless (and fairly dull) comedy of errors, but maybe he's keeping himself interested this way.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Yes, I was OK with the narration before as Aisha's "training montage" to speed through the same stuff we saw with Ulf. . . but this is getting a bit excessive. Like assuming we will need this robot fight scene in the first place, did we really need narration to say that it was running to a pit deep enough to kill her?

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Narration over (maybe). I'm happy to see where this goes.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009

Sizone posted:

Why's everyone so down on the ending to Accidental Space Spy? The Minister of Interplanetary Affairs getting ate in #502 is a really good riff on lose ends tied up by fiat and an excellent closing site gag.

The ending of the adventures on the final planet were OK but it felt just like one of many planets and not all that special. Maybe it was because the "reason for war" and saving a race we were just introduced too was not super compelling. It felt like there needed to be one last chapter to put things in order: they resolved stuff using the secret knowledge they'd been seeking, but only for a bunch of random aliens they've just met. The ending of the whole story was really the final 3 pages which consist of basically 2 conversations and a good bye. Compared with the brilliance of the Hitmen "epilogues", it felt weak as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Sudden but still much better than than the ending of TASS, so I'm satisfied. At least it had something that felt like a real denouement over a the last several pages. Even the mechanical flavor of the +.00000012% happiness ending is pretty appropriate after what we've seen.

• Locked thread