Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I read Hitmen for Destiny way back when it was linked in the TGT thread and it's absolutely amazing. Once you get past the simplistic art, it's honestly one of the best written and thought out webcomics I've ever seen. Same thing for Lies, Sisters and Wives. It's obvious that the author has a long, detailed and incredibly convoluted plan for how everything is going to work, and the way he chooses to write everything to reveal that plan bit by bit is amazing. Plus all the bizarre evolutionary biology stuff where he goes on ten-comic long tangents about why the creature about to kill them all is the way it is and how it evolved to be that way, are amazing and hilarious all at once. The Accidental Space Spy is also really good, though I have to be honest and say that I appreciate these comics way more when I can read dozens of them in a row and stop when I've had enough than when I actually have to read them as he releases them.

And I have nothing against the art. Many, many people have very little artistic talent but I'd much rather read these stories in the webcomic format (especially necessary for all the bizarre creatures) than have him just try to express everything in words, which would be impossible and probably incredibly boring. What would be amazing would be if he teamed up with some really talented artist who can't write to save his life, and the two could create the greatest webcomic of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I dunno, Thorsby loves to change around expectations. I fully expect this planet to be full of cute bunnies and rainbows or something, purely because of the terrible names.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Schizophrenic Orb posted:

Or, knowing his work, things will appear to be super nice and fluffy, until they reach the tipping point and everything is suddenly awful and trying to kill them.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. Like the planet of literal aliens that would try and kill anyone they thought told a lie, out of nowhere, when everything was going so well.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Unguided posted:

Maybe they're right below it and toss their garbage up into the zone. There's probably also a large landmass hovering at the top of the zone, unable to fall up or down, blocking out the sun for the people under the zone.

And that landmass will be formed out of the garbage they've thrown up into it. Then somehow our intrepid heroes will figure out how to turn off the Reverse Gravity Zone and a rain of garbage will bury everything.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If I had to guess based on just the one comic, I would guess our intrepid heroes will somehow prove the demons aren't real and cause a complete societal breakdown.

Although I still think it's more likely they somehow deactivate the Reverse Gravity Zone and shower everything in debris and garbage.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also pretty much all the aliens on this planet have six appendages growing out of their torso, in addition to any extra ones that distinguish themselves from any others. I assume we'll find out why, but it's an interesting thing for the time being.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BiggerJ posted:

Looks like twolesy spells actually work. Perhaps twolesy have evolved to not only believe in magic, but also to experience biogical effects and changes matching their beliefs. If this is the case, I eagerly await the relevant explanation strip, because I have no idea how this would be an advantageous trait.

As for Ben, it may simply be psychosomatic. I sure so, because otherwise my theory's out the window.

Remember, it's not necessarily 'advantageous' in general but rather 'specifically advantageous to procreation' that causes evolution. It could be that at some point in time the twolesy started sexually selecting based on belief in magic (imagine for example a cult where joining the cult, and believing in magic, leads to having children with women in the cult), and over time that belief became so ingrained that they started actually adapting to it. Maybe the women were more likely to mate with people that were more affected by 'magic' and over many generations it became a species trait.

Another option would be that the wizards are like spewing bacteria at them or something? I dunno. I assume there's some amazing rationale behind this, though. At the same time, I fully expect our hero to just be experiencing a placebo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I can't imagine what it must feel like for Plume, being half in and half out of the reverse gravity zone. Imagine gravity suddenly pulling one half of your body in the other direction, that must be really unpleasant.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
He's leaving us in suspense about the magic though. You can always tell when something's going to be a big plot point because it doesn't get immediately explained after the creature's first appearance.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Well this latest one was eye-opening. I think we can safely conclude that the magic is not real, because even if for some reason the two summoned demons were invisible to our two main characters, the lightning one of them summoned to shoot with should still have been visible because invisible lightning makes absolutely no sense.

However, we have now seen two different instances of magic having physical effects on these aliens whose names I can't remember, which is one hell of a psychosomatic placebo effect.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

They may also need to be known as wizards.

Didn't the wizard when they first arrived at the village say they had magic? That he then broke with the device someone else gave him? Maybe they could say that since he's now dead that spell is broken and they have their magic back.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Looks like we're going to get some proper exposition about how this all works next week. I'm pretty sure this will show our heroes how to pretend they really are wizards, too.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This latest comic looks like it could be a beautiful setup for a Lies, Sisters and Wives/Hitmen boat scene type bit, in which case I really can't wait.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The little touches in this most recent comic are great.

The way I read it, the audience machine tells her what her audience is like, and it has surmised that Not-Plume and Dunkirk are young with only a basic education. But more than that, the two colours of lights next to the labels tell us that (since Power is red and the machine is definitely on, we can assume that the other red lights are things the audience machine has detected from the joke) apparently her joke was not only about news gathering and topical humour, but also somehow involved racism, fatal disease, recent disasters, and animal cruelty. I wonder how that all fit in there.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Maybe a head top turning is some kind of thing where you turn an animal's head (animal cruelty), kremblerins is a fatal disease, gamblerists and secureists are some kind of racist thing, and having wives and sisters in the same room is a disaster. Or something.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My current bet on what's going to happen is that our two intrepid heroes make all three wives incredibly mad at each other and at them, and then it turns out that that's exactly what the husband wanted them to do in the first place, so he's really happy with them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ElementaryScotty posted:

Dang, I thought Rum might end up as something like the main antagonist.

But that's what I thought about the real Plume.

I have a feeling the story may be starting to wrap up. They've found the person they were chasing this whole time, and know what the solution is to the problem they've been facing all along. Now the only two real permanent antagonists we've had revealed (Real Plume and Rum) are both dead. I have a feeling we'll get one more planet to wrap everything up, during which it's revealed that everyone is a double agent for someone else and lots of people die.

I would have said Not-Plume turns out to have been a super spy all along, but that wouldn't fit with Thorsby's love of oblivious everyman heroes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sizone posted:

Mastery of the body, shifting internal organs to avoid the spear, control of breath and heartbeat to appear dead, BEING A WIZARD.

, working with Dunkirk to accomplish something this whole time.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This is the Thorsby-est solution to a problem ever. I hope it leads to another one of his insanely convoluted set pieces, like the ship/closet scene in Hitmen or the entirety of Lies, Sisters and Wives. With the added bonus that two of the major players are the size of ants.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

dipwood posted:

Man, once another week has passed, there will be 16 realities.

Note that the divergences so far are pretty minor, but already in universe 3 and 4 there's some differences. Think about how much of a divergence there will be once Ulf group 2, 3, and 4 join in. Maybe one of the groups never made it out of the hospital, maybe another freaked out and had the chip removed, maybe another one did something even worse than that. There's so much potential in just Week 2 to have it go on for a while, but Week 3 is where poo poo will really hit the fan.

Don't forget, too, that they're all running around outside a hospital having just had major brain surgery. The scientist lady was really adamant that doing so was super risky, so it's almost inevitable that one of the Ulfs will be the unlucky one who dies from complications.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ZearothK posted:

She probably thinks he's a mind-reader for the Chem-Trails.

I am expecting amusing results from having that brain-chip treated like that.

Or that he read her diary or something.

Alternately, maybe a Roomba murdered her parents within the week since the divergence or something.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This is surprisingly tender!

Yeah, until whats-her-name also gets a brain implant and discovers he was lying about every single Ulf dating her.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
poo poo just got real.

The question is, how diverged was that Ulf from our own hero Ulf?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
How long have Ulf and Vera known each other now, like two weeks? That's an awfully short time to be suddenly trusting this insane person to run away to a remote Swedish cabin together, even if you are pretty fond of them and they helped you fulfill your crazy robot sex fantasy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I want to know if Ulf ABBA is a dancing queen.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I am now expecting another Aisha cheating on an Ulf that was more of an rear end in a top hat and getting caught, leading to the other Ulfs (Ulves?) breaking up with their Aishas.

You nailed it harder than Aisha nailed that random guy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Maybe this is going to go way into left field and there'll be like an alien invasion or something, and Ulf's brain chip will be the key to saving the world. That would be pretty Thorsbyesque.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I don't really care if Thorsby never goes anywhere with this strip, the jokes he tells with this premise are gold.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Today's comic went to a dark place.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah we've been following Ulf Prime for most of the comic, aside from the occasional tangent (often ending with that Ulf dying). Easiest way to tell is the hair, but as far as I remember this is the same Ulf who joined a cult, moved to Sweden, forgave whats-her-name for cheating on him, got rich, etc etc. I mean, I know most of the Ulfs have done that at this point, but it seems like we've been following one Ulf who does all that before the others.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also the cult may well be part of this hypothetical evil genius's contingency plans, besides the drug-dealing terrorists.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Well, for the comic's purposes only universes created since Ulf got the chip matter. So really all that matters are events of the last 14 weeks in terms of creating new universes. That means every single Ulf got super lucky that all those cultists died randomly years ago.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Or it could just be a joke about how if the cultist leader was rational he might consider that maybe God was trying to stop him from blowing up the world with all those coincidences, but nope, it's clearly the devil.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also, if we approach it from a storytelling perspective it's much more likely that there is an evil mastermind behind it all because that provides a neat end point for the Ulves to approach as the story reaches a climax and conclusion.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I have no idea what Ulf is trying to say there.

If Ulf had the brain chip installed in 1945, there would be quadrillions of Ulfs out there who had died in nuclear wars between 1945 and 2014. But they all split off from one timeline in which Ulf had it installed recently. In that timeline, obviously nuclear war didn't happen or there would be no Ulf and Vera to install the chip. So all the different Ulfs come from one central timeline where nuclear war didn't happen, and as a result they think nuclear war is really unlikely, and therefore if there are four different ways that nuclear war can start within a few weeks of their receiving the chip, there must be a huge conspiracy at work.

But there isn't. It's just that nuclear war is way more likely than any of them realized, because they all started out in a timeline where nuclear war hadn't happened yet. That timeline could be the equivalent of flipping a coin 1,000 times and getting heads every single time (because every timeline where you flipped tails, you died), and so all the Ulfs think that every time you flip a coin you're going to get heads unless something interferes (because all the multiverse Ulfs who had tails get flipped died), but that doesn't mean that the next time you flip it you won't get tails anyway.

Take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_suicide_and_immortality, there's a different thought experiment there that might help.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ulf will take one day off but actually pass out and sleep for like a week and all his plans will fall apart.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

New comic

Well gently caress, how's Ulf going to get out of this one? :ohdear:

Another Ulf will save him with an antivirus at the last minute.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think this will end up with Ulf and Aisha on the run from his own robots. Maybe the chip shorts out or something and frees him from the virus, and since he programmed the robots to kill him if he stops being Christian then he has to try and bring down his own crazy regime.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Grogquock posted:

I hope we get a more involved ending to this one. I like the narration turn, but I'm slightly worried about how its blazing through stuff. TASS ended with such a dull thump after an endless (and fairly dull) comedy of errors, but maybe he's keeping himself interested this way.

Given how long his other comics have been, I won't be surprised at all if it turns out this is all just the introduction to whatever insane story he has actually planned, now that two different people both have brain chips (and how many more and more varied alternate universes that can create).

For comparison, today was comic 160 of Brain Chip. TASS ended up having 508 comics and Hitmen had 586.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ZearothK posted:

On the other hand this seems to be from a dimension where Vera didn't get her head torn off, like the Aisha we were following earlier. I am also amazed there is enough of an economy left for a promised reward to mean anything with Buddha/Jesus robots tearing everything up.

Well Vera getting killed started happening after Aisha had the chip, and after she had already split enough times to become an expert on brain surgery, so there's probably a ton of Veras left over in universes, just not the central universe with the original Ulf and Aisha.

• Locked thread