Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Buzkashi posted:

If the village is under the reverse gravity zone, will that mean all the buildings will be on the ceiling of a cave?

Logically, the reverse gravity zone should be fully in the sky. And rock, dirt, or other form of landmass inside the zone would have flown up long ago, reaching the top of the zone; where it reached a sort of equilibrium between both gravity directions. The wind, then, would take it away to fall some distance from the zone.

So if the zone had been placed at ground level initially, it would have eventually created a large depression bordered with hills and mountains. A sort of crater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They basically have the same body as the local intelligent aliens. So those things on the torso actually are legs. They just evolved their tentacles into arms and legs so their six paws are useless vestiges; while the beast here evolved them into weapons and keeps crawling on its belly.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RandomFerret posted:

(please do not inject your pet axolotl with iodine)
Apparently, a neotenic axolotl can hope to live 15 years, with one specimen even reaching the ripe old age of 25. A transformed, adult axolotl has a life expectancy of a measly 5 years. And also looks a lot less weird, and therefore less cool, than the neotenic one.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They need to know about the spell, though. It's probably simpler to cast "obeymeix" over and over and over again.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Here's the real Plume.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"I will revive your nephew! Resurrectix!" Now they'll hallucinate that the nephew is still alive, like an imaginary friend. Problem solved, in a :smith: way.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Schwarzwald posted:

The latest comic seems to suggest that the current aliens are born female but can become male.

I'm guessing the transformation to malehood is triggered by changes in social status, so a very successful female becomes a male.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The comedian wife has started to grow tufts of hair on her ears. We first met her here, compare with her ears now. Script wife, painter wife and sculpter wife have smooth ears too.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

my dad posted:

It's all guys killing guys on those paintings and statues, right?

Guys killing guys, and also monsters. (It seems pretty much all the fauna on this planet has these wraparound cylindrical mouths.) I think it's less "guys can't stand each others" and more a celebration of machismo. There's also artwork depicting non-combat feats, at least one sculpture shows a datima bending a metal bar.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Explicit confirmation that for these aliens, patriarchal oppression of the women is a biological imperative.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So, mission accidentally complete? Now they just need to get away from this planet, with the third slave.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Daktar posted:

I'm loving the fight between Dunkirk and the doctor. Limbchooser martial arts must be a sight to behold.

It is.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Mannerisms and other parts of someone's idiolect would still be personal though, but that's generally more subtle.

But yeah, finger prints, retinal scanning, and voice recognition are all useless to limbchoosers. I wonder what biometrics they could have developed for themselves. (Probably in the form of a limb, of course.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The last few pages can be seen here. I'm not timging them in the post itself because they're big.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The limbchoosers are basically Mr Potato Head rationalized as a symbiotic alien species. There are no set places for limbs to be connected, it's always a traumatic graft. That means they can have as many limbs as needed (the tradeoff being that if they have too many limbs, they'll tire faster as they have to feed them all).

Control is based on hormones, so logically their reactions should be quite slower than species with their own limbs and a nervous system, which would make them quite lousy at being action spies.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

my dad posted:

Ouch. :stare: That had to hurt.

On the other hand, I don't think Rum's body had the time to process any sort of pain. If you gotta be murdered by your ex-girlfriend, why not settle for a flying saucer's plasma cannon? It's quickly over with and sure to leave an impression on any non-stunrayed witness.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

my dad posted:

I still hope that the theory will turn out to be wrong.

Or at least, not generally applicable beyond the Tjargellos. While it tends to be Biotruth: the Webcomic; so far it has shown different aliens adopting very different approaches to fulfill the same imperative. How could the "royal harem" theory apply to the trap-building aliens who never actually meets, for example?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If it turns out only species which have men go to war, I'll have to wonder if Tatsuya Ishida didn't sneakily kidnap and replace Øyvind Thorsby.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

my dad posted:

Isn't he already committing treason by not telling his boss that Not-Plume is not Plume?

It's only treason if he gets caught.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The latest :siren: update :siren: is a huge surprise.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

my dad posted:

They're so tiny. :allears:

edit: That palace is about 200 meters tall, counting the tower. :stare:

Mmh. How d'you get there? Not-Plume is 14-pixels tall in the last panel. Assuming a height of 180 centimeters, that makes it about 13 cm per pixel. The guard in the same frame is about 350 pixels, so 45.5 meters tall. In the first frame, he is 17-pixel-tall, that makes it about 2m67 per pixel. So the palace has a roof height of 168 pixels = 450 meters; a dome height of 294 pixels = 787 meters, and a tower height of 426 pixels = 1140 meters.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I like how frustrated the guy with the white clothes and violent buttons is when she greets the guests as protocol demands. He wants her to fail so hard...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That pink think on the parasite's torso looks like a weak spot.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I knew it was a weak spot!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
All the books are gonna fall.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
:siren: How logic can get you laid :siren:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Whybird posted:

"Mr. President, I'm fully aware that you might be heterosexual, but our country deserves nothing less than a President who is relaxed and calm after having received only the very best blowjobs available. I have several certificates from leading authorities declaring this man's blowjobs to be the finest in the Western world. I'm afraid America demands this of you, Mr. President."

You mean this man? America wouldn't be ready for him! (:nws: it's Oglaf)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Begun, the Thorsbyness has.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The :siren: update :siren: we're talking about.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Thorsby mode engaged, full steam ahead!

I wonder just how tangled the web of lie will be. There's only two usurped identities to conciliate for now...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

"Stern talking to," eh? Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

Certainly seems so!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
She didn't guess that a stern talking-to was innuendo.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

An Old Boot posted:

especially if you mainline all of his comics within a few days

Yeah don't.

When Thorsby started TASS, I had just finished HFD and LS&W a couple weeks before. Upon seeing it was more of the same, I got instantly fed up. Then several months later, I binged TASS without regretting it. It's great plotting but I can understand getting Thorsby fatigue.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
He's currently up to #350 on TASS, while the last update on webcomicsnation was #507 (the server stayed long enough for my RSS feed to get updated, but was already down when I wanted to see the new page). Should be caught up pretty soon at this pace.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://thorsbysprojects.thecomicseries.com/links/
http://comicfury.com/profile.php?username=Thorsby
It's not hard to find his contact info. He puts this at the top of every page:

quote:

I'm Øyvind Thorsby. Contact me: ythorsby at gmail dot com

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

my dad posted:

Huh, while searching for the webpage, I discovered that Thorsby is a fan of OOTS

He's not very active there though. Searching for his posts from his profile only gives nine threads, most of which are about his own comics. He has only one post about OotS itself, and it was to express confusion over Rich Burlew's use of speech bubbles.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sizone posted:

Oh, o.k.. So the next instantiation is going to be AAA, AAB, ABA, ABB, BAA, BAB, BBA, BBB?
Kinda arbitrary that extant realities only diverge on weekly intervals though. Oh well, BRAINCHIP.

Realities diverge a lot more often. It's all explained in the first comic. Every week the chip connects to one new universe, out of the near-infinite numbers there are.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

vyelkin posted:

Yeah, until whats-her-name also gets a brain implant and discovers he was lying about every single Ulf dating her.

Her own implant would cover alternate timelines starting from the moment she got the implant, so she'd be with Ulf in every one of those (at least at the start).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://brainchip.thecomicseries.com/comics/114

In the latest episode, Ulf is remotely hacking Chinese army computers to patch their nuclear missile control systems. This is the kind of scenario that can only end well.

On the other hand, he did get out of an American nuke base full of corpses with both launch keys, in front of a witness, and nobody bothered him about that. So maybe the Chinese hacking gambit will really work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://brainchip.thecomicseries.com/comics/120

Things couldn't be that simple

• Locked thread