Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I have to admit, I was always hoping that if and when he got back to Earth the first people he talked to would start trying to kill him because of biotruths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

He thought of "what if a bug flies into her mouth" but not "what if the known narcoleptic falls asleep"?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I was half-expecting him to die. That's the thing about making your protagonist infinitely expendable, I guess.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Yeah, they can literally read each other's minds and memories. An "evil" Ulf would be interesting, but the reason we haven't seen any other Ulfs in a while is probably just economy of storytelling.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Aisha's line in the first panel might be the funniest single sentence Thorsby's written yet.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

This feels like the kind of Thorsbyian logic puzzle we haven't had yet, but the answer is probably just that any Ulf from a universe where any of those things didn't happen is dead.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The flip side to that is that there are probably more universes than not where he never came up with this idea, or was never able to get that far with it--like misjudging people he expected to kill for him.

But then, in the vast majority of universes the Earth was probably scoured clean during the Cold War.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

He got at least three times as smart and he still couldn't think of a better plan than "do karate at the people with guns".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

But is he awesome enough to karate his way through an entire army base, or will he have to call them and hope they take his word that two of their guys are end times cultists?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I was expecting that to be a lot more Thorsby than "turn the key".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I think there are two problems with that:

1. If he could just start the apocalypse at any time, what would be the point of waiting?

2. There probably isn't actually a mastermind, just numerous groups trying to kill everyone and thus a disturbingly high chance that one of them will succeed.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It is surprisingly easy to convince someone pointing a gun at you that you're an elf.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

If they're really smart, most of the Ulfs didn't release their inventions, so they would have a chance to see how the world changes before doing it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Sindai posted:

I like the steady progression of Ulf's shirt from pit-stain to just all-stain.

Heh, I missed that.

And it turns out that if Ulf had gone along with his other self fading in during sex that first time, this comic would have been a lot shorter.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I just noticed that over the last few strips Asha has gradually moved as far away as possible on the couch.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Especially if one of those mind viruses makes him start the next Twelve Revelations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

This is going to end with Aisha saving the world somehow.

Whybird posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if this is the reason Ulf's doctor whose name I forget tried to kill him -- perhaps he wasn't the first patient she's tried the procedure on, just the first one who successfully escaped. So her control back in the lab will have fed back to her all the awful poo poo that goes down when a brainchipped patient gets loose (presumably from one of his alternative selves who did get loose and go on a posthuman robo-Christianity spree) and she'll maybe have some idea what to do about it.

She's certainly an unresolved plot thread and it's interesting that with all his surveillance power Ulf hasn't had any luck tracking her down.

Ulf didn't exactly escape though, he just said "I don't want to be here anymore" until she agreed to let him go.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I don't see you coming up with any great ideas Vera.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Unless merging their minds gives them extra fine motor skills somehow, this seems like a really bad idea.

I guess some of them at least had the chance to practice with real brains.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I don't think "best neurologist ever" is gonna be enough to get out of this one, but even without the chip Aisha always had the best ideas.

Cardinal Ximenez posted:

Am I the only one who noticed that it's laser Budais, and not Buddhas?

And the angels aren't flaming wheels of eyeballs at all.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Aw, Aisha. I know that feeling, although maybe not from connecting to alternate universes and turning into the greatest neurologist of all time.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Sizone posted:

This is troubling because it implies that Aisha is, and always has been, qualitatively substantially smarter than Ulf.

This isn't really new, though. Ulf couldn't figure out why Vera wanted to study the stock market, Aisha could; Ulf couldn't figure out how to escape from the Twelve Revelations, Aisha could.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

This comic started with a loser trying to game the lottery and now it casually includes a panel of the moon being pushed into the sun.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

That seems unlikely.

Also re: the previous comic, the whole thing feels kind of pointless now knowing that even if Aisha wins, humanity still gets screwed.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

If it weren't for relying so heavily on the narration boxes, this would actually be pretty compelling. She gains all the power in the world, then loses it right when she needs it most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It's not silence, they're just being polite and letting the narrator have his turn to speak.

• Locked thread