Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The last panel looks like a subtle jab at Chuck Norris jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm interested in seeing if it's a one-way transformation or if it can be reversed.

It's all guys killing guys on those paintings and statues, right? We know that the wives hate each-other. If they all become male, this could likely end in a bloodbath.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mr. Wednesday posted:

I don't remember this Petrevolt/AHC stuff at all. o_O Would someone mind a quick sum-up, or a link to the arc that explains it?

Humans = pets ->
Humans revolt ->
Human planet = Petrevolt ->
Humans = pests -> AHC?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Daktar posted:

I'm surprised limbchoosers don't habitually go around with more than just two legs, two arms etc. Some backwards facing eyes at the very least.

I assume that the extra limbs are really hard to coordinate and providing nutrition for them would probably exhaust the main body really fast.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It would be hilarious if the theory turns out to be wrong and no utterly devastating civil war occurs.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Maybe we should start posting links to the updates? Something like this:

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

Ash

Ouch. :stare: That had to hurt.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Just to make it clear, the previous two posts were talking about an

A policy Petrevolt agrees with

I still hope that the theory will turn out to be wrong.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm late again, but

Treason

Isn't he already committing treason by not telling his boss that Not-Plume is not Plume?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loyalty

Not-Plume is really running out of options now. We're in for something big soon.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Image Search

Now we're back to some decent :biotruths: at least. Operation Save the Babby is underway.

Also, should I stop posting the links, or do people prefer them to manually going to the end of the comic?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Sizone posted:

Basically, stop tossing around biotruths. It's a stupid word to begin with, it's misused and where it's applicable is stupid reddit level discussions of why girls, in general, like shiny things. Thorsby's accounts of humor, faith and now this are, albeit cynical, pretty much spot on and humorous jabs at the inherent absurdities of being a sentient creature trapped in a bounded physical form and surrounded by a hostile world.

Whooosh.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I wonder how they manage to reproduce and avoid incest, what with all the necessary isolation that is required for them to avoid insanity? Maybe it's comparable to how we structure a distributed genetic algorithm where you only reproduce within your particular population unit and only exchange genetic information with the neighboring populations through migration? On the other hand, the fact that they don't even realize that they've been kidnapped means that migration would be a relatively rare event.

I love just how, well, alien Thorsby's aliens are, without actually being all that different from us. It's an interesting poke at some standard sci-fi cliches.

Hempuli posted:

Ah, by "I have hard time believing that" I meant that I have hard time believing that Thorsby writes these evolution-related parts seriously. Babies are special to other people, but studies show that their crying is more considered more irritating than most alarm buzzes, and this apparently has some genetic basis (prioritizing human distress etc).

The reason is that (most?) primate babies are literally incapable of taking care of themselves without the help of an adult and are rather prone to dying easily. Not reacting immediately to your baby's cries could literally be removing your genes from the genepool. Seeing that cry as something extremely unpleasant encourages a swift reaction and increases your chances of successfully reproducing (that is, having your offspring live long enough to reproduce)

That's at least what I've heard. :shobon: If there's an evolutionary biologist reading this, please correct me if I'm wrong.

edit: ^^^ Thanks for posting the update. Could you just add sirens to make it more noticeable, then I'll remove them from my post.

my dad fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 12, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cobweb Heart posted:

It seems kind of surprising to me that Thorsby, who's progressive enough that he had an LGBT woman as the protagonist of his last story, would build a world relying on MEN ACT LIKE THIS WOMEN ACT LIKE THIS. I'm thinking the climax will involve the theory of war being disproven and gender-based :biotruths: failing to predict behavior.

Or just prove to be working for the Tjargellos and Tjargellos only.

By the way, we're all talking about an

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cat Mattress posted:

The latest :siren: update :siren: is a huge surprise.

They're so tiny. :allears:

edit: That palace is about 200 meters tall, counting the tower. :stare:

my dad fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 19, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cat Mattress posted:

Mmh. How d'you get there? Not-Plume is 14-pixels tall in the last panel. Assuming a height of 180 centimeters, that makes it about 13 cm per pixel. The guard in the same frame is about 350 pixels, so 45.5 meters tall. In the first frame, he is 17-pixel-tall, that makes it about 2m67 per pixel. So the palace has a roof height of 168 pixels = 450 meters; a dome height of 294 pixels = 787 meters, and a tower height of 426 pixels = 1140 meters.

I didn't do a pixel count. I used Not-Plume's size from inside the saucer (it fit my mouse pointer), assumed that it was his upper torso and counted it as 1 meter. First mistake, since he seems to be standing and is almost fully visible. Then I roughly counted the number of times my cursor could fit on the big guy and the result was 15-ish. The scale changes with every panel, though, he's significantly larger compared to Not-Plume in the latter panels. Then I measured his size to be close to two cursors at the palace and roughly compared the size of the palace to the size of the guard's closeup. It was ~25 cursores, which divided by 2 and multiplied by 15 is around 200, probably a bit less. This is all incredibly :spergin: AND wrong. :shobon: That said, we really can't accurately measure anything due to Thorsby's err... lack of drawing talent.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Evilreaver posted:

Most importantly, Not-Plume was named Ben in the 15th strip :eng101:

He's too small for Ben.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

weavernaut posted:

I'm not very far in at all, but am I right in assuming that the world Maythorn and Lostclock are from is either vaguely or literally Lovecraftian? One of them says "thank Dagon!" at one point. I know he's also a real ancient god, but I've never seen a Dagon reference that wasn't meant to refer to Lovecraft's ideas.

The only thing I can safely tell you is: "Keep reading."

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Buzkashi posted:

"I can't see what's happening, are we boned?"

Well, looks like somebody is.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

And it looks like Thorsby's back with a new comic, Transdimensional Brain Chip. From what I've seen so far, it's going to be the most confusing, hard-to-keep-track of mess yet!

So that's where the iPod ended up!

Link

Huh, while searching for the webpage, I discovered that Thorsby is a fan of OOTS

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The big question is what will happen when some of the Ulfs inevitably start getting killed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

vyelkin posted:

Maybe this is going to go way into left field and there'll be like an alien invasion or something, and Ulf's brain chip will be the key to saving the world. That would be pretty Thorsbyesque.

Which world?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Sindai posted:

Uh-oh, the most stubborn Ulf can potentially convince all the others to do pretty much anything.

I can see a bunch of angry Ulfs counterattacking and mindsquashing the anoying one.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Here come the suits.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Not really where I expected this to be going.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I think we're lost in a sea of Ulfs.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Eh. 1 down (maybe), 12000 more to go.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Welp, hive mind time.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
And that is why you never go first.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The Singularity has come, and its name is Ulf.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cardinal Ximenez posted:

Thus the hypothesis: the world gets into nuclear wars nearly all of the time, but Ur-Ulf's universe was, and is necessarily, one of the branches where it didn't.

Welcome to the wonderful world of anthropics.

In short:

Highly relevant to this whole conversation would be this paper:
http://www.nickbostrom.com/papers/anthropicshadow.pdf

I love the concept of the anthropic shadow.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The growing number of Ulfs is going to overload the chip sooner or later. Any bets about the number of bits used for universe identification?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Sizone posted:

Wouldn't each split only require the id of the parent + 1 bit? That is, ulfid doesn't need to account for all ulfs, only the branch of ulf responsible for the ulf in question.

Depends on a bunch of stuff. It's webcomicmagictech, so it can be whatever Thorsby wants it to be. I was just wondering if sloppy code/hardware making practices are going to influence Ulfnet somehow.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The themes that can be explored due to the chip's existence are starting to run thin.
On the other hand, the themes that can be explored if the chip breaks just keep piling up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cat Mattress posted:

I want an ending where they put transdimensional brainchips in everyone on Earth.

It's gonna be hard to find enough fish for all those chips. :v:

• Locked thread