Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
The Jyrs reminded me of that other planet where the species had some giant pole thing growing out of their backs and they served whoever didn't have theirs cut off.

That arc was great because the whole time Not-Plume and Dunkirk were being called spies so it ended up being a self-fulfilling prophecy.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Yeah, probably his worst evopsych biotruth depiction by far. All the other ones, while also absurd, were at least plausible. It also ignores the vast history of matriarchal societies.

But I mean, it's a webcomic about space aliens. Maybe in this 'universe' the very psychology of the universe is different.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Or at least, not generally applicable beyond the Tjargellos. While it tends to be Biotruth: the Webcomic; so far it has shown different aliens adopting very different approaches to fulfill the same imperative. How could the "royal harem" theory apply to the trap-building aliens who never actually meets, for example?

An entire race goes to war with each other for women?

dipwood fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 3, 2013

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I could see why humans would be wary of such a race.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I already know what's going to happen.

One of them is going to die.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Man, once another week has passed, there will be 16 realities.

Note that the divergences so far are pretty minor, but already in universe 3 and 4 there's some differences. Think about how much of a divergence there will be once Ulf group 2, 3, and 4 join in. Maybe one of the groups never made it out of the hospital, maybe another freaked out and had the chip removed, maybe another one did something even worse than that. There's so much potential in just Week 2 to have it go on for a while, but Week 3 is where poo poo will really hit the fan.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

So... looks like the Ulfs can force themselves connected to each other.

How many strips do you give it before there's blood involved?

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Near the start, when it split into 4 Ulfs, the Veras give them the option to be AA, AB, BA, BB. How did they decide this? From the perspective of the second pair of Veras, they had A and B. They must have used some sort of off-screen criteria to determine which pair is AX and which pair is BX.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

BiggerJ posted:

Not so. Both AXes remember being A, because up to the second split their pasts are identical and they WERE both A, and their respective Vera remember that too. Thus, the former A's could only choose between being AA and AB. Same with the BXes.

Whenever the Ulfs double in number, each Ulf splits in two and gets a new letter, A or B, on the end of his Ulf-code.

You're agreeing with me in the first part.

However, it still doesn't explain how the first pair decided they were A, and the second pair, who from their perspective is the first pair, decided they were B.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Oh I just realized my confusion. The splitting point is from the A and B... I thought something else.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Or that he read her diary or something.

drat, right on the money.

I wonder if Ulf will realize that he can make super money off this as a psychic.

I'm still waiting for the inevitable point when Ulf will want to get rid of the brain chip. It has to be something pretty traumatic.

I'm surprised that they're able to coordinate with each other so as not to overload every Ulf with 8x memories at once.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I have a more cynical view. Something that was in motion before any of this brain chip stuff causes two Ulfs to die in the same way on two separate occasions. Then it all becomes a big murder mystery of who wants to kill Ulf and why. Maybe he was targeted by a competitor of the science lady or something.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I guess the only question now is... Were the seeds of nuclear war planted before the first divergence, or after? That will determine whether it's a risk to a particular set of Ulfs or all of them.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

It occurs to me that warning people about nuclear conspiracies while wearing a shirt with a picture of a bomb on it may not have been the best idea.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Ulf has high int but low wisdom.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

This will never end because all it takes is for Ulf or Aisha to infect each other's brains and now they're at war with infinite Aisha/Ulfs.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

This comic from space spy pretty much sums up Thorsby: http://spacespy.thecomicseries.com/comics/251

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

This has to be the lowest point of Thorsby comics right now. There's nothing to unravel, he's just making poo poo up as he goes along. Usually there's some logic to the developments, but now it's just doing things because. He's doing a lot of Tell instead of Show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Every time someone asks me a question in IT, I become a fringurfringur.

• Locked thread