Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Loved the first two. Caught up on the third a couple days ago.

What I love the most about Accidental Space Spy is every time the characters land on a new planet. They (and you) always have to figure out just what the hell is the deal with the new alien race(s) they encounter in order to get them to cooperate, trying to puzzle out why they do what they do before there is a brief evolutionary biology lesson that explains it. And even after that it's pretty funny what happens.

Funky art style or not, these comics are all solid gold for the writing alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

The second is pretty short but really funny; the third is very different, but definitely on par.

And I actually really liked how Fusk and Vorte didn't die at the end. They were the kind of villains (but not really? Just really self-interested?) that you actually liked. Seeing them jet out to another dimension at the end just made everything really funny to me, like how Jmyre was rescued by his mom. So many unexpected endings.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Farmland Park posted:

A thing about HFD is if you know Norwegian it has some small fun details, like for example you can see "RBK" spray painted on a wall which is the acronym for a popular Norwegian football (soccer) team. And also the names, Vorte means "wart" and Fusk means "cheat/cheating"

Are the things that the monster in the dream sequences says Norwegian too?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Today I was glad to see that "Plume" is figuring out how to not say the wrong thing and get himself almost-killed. It only took how many missions now? :)

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

God I love the aliens in this comic. That feeler panel, while short, was amazingly perfect and makes complete sense.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

That's what I was thinking. Anxiety can cause physical pain all on its own, even if you AREN'T on an alien planet pretending to be a secret agent and getting attacked by the locals in a dark area just below a reverse gravity zone that will have you falling upwards to your death with one wrong move.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Holy crap. When I saw Not-Plume start to speak and get interrupted, I figured it was because he was saying something dumb that would ruin their advantage, not that THIS was gonna happen!

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Buzkashi posted:

This is a fantastic setup already, I'm eager to see if this tops the loving Best Planet Ever.

Just what I was thinking. This is gonna be great, though I loved these aliens already the first time I saw them. Hilarious eyes and mouths, not to mention the hands.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Buzkashi posted:

I cannot make heads or tails of this planet's biology but I am laughing my rear end off.

These are definitely the funniest aliens yet. I can't not laugh every time I see their goofy little eyes, teeth, and ears all together, along with the hilarious weird hands. And their names, let alone the artwork? God, it's just all so perfect.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

The eye color changes never stop being funny. I also can't wait to find out how these aliens evolved cylindrical mouths.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

BiggerJ posted:

The way this page's revelation was handle was loving genius. 'Show, don't tell' in action.

Hah, I didn't even notice that until I went back and checked. I thought it was just a review of what we'd seen before!

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

cubivore posted:

I love this comic and I keep checking up on it every once in awhile, but whenever he tries to explain human species mechanics and other such things it sounds super autistic and biotruths. Oh well.

I always read it as tongue-in-cheek and/or in-universe explanation rather than a serious attempt to draw conclusions about real life. I mean, this is a funny webcomic, not some crazy essay or anything. It's more like fictional biology heavily inspired by actual biology (though not necessarily accurate to reality).

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Just now noticed that the label is a different color from the panel underneath it, too. Clever and subtle.

Can't wait to see how this all backfires.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

dipwood posted:

The Jyrs reminded me of that other planet where the species had some giant pole thing growing out of their backs and they served whoever didn't have theirs cut off.

That arc was great because the whole time Not-Plume and Dunkirk were being called spies so it ended up being a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yeah, the Castration Planet, which was incredibly funny, and I think also one of the first planets.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Kgummy posted:

Well if you get a permit maybe. But it looks like it's not common knowledge that you need a permit to go there. Hell, it might not even be possible to get a permit without going on planet. In which case, trying to get a permit results in you becoming a slave.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if that was exactly how the "permit" situation worked, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Half expected to see one more panel with just a pair of blinking eyes on the ash pile.

• Locked thread