Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Ultigonio posted:

Hey, can someone please tell me what a person might dislike about Pikmin 3? I'll be noting the significant drop in content from 2 ("it's short"), as well as the control adjustments which some people dislike, but what might someone not like about Pikmin 3 in general?

(I'm tempted to write Pikmin 3's genre as "RTS/TPS hybrid.")

Well, I guess it's a little shor...oh wait, you already said that. And that's really only if you don't count Mission Mode. Um, you don't get the 4 free stages unless you have the latest software update?

Really though the biggest drawback is the uniqueness of the gameplay. I love the Pikmin series, but it's completely understandable if people don't like it because it's so unique. RTS/TPS actually isn't a bad way to put it. It's like a real-time RTS where you play as a character(s) instead of an omnipresent abstract commander. It's like a third person shooter if your gun was "throwing dudes" and the ammo was different kinds of dudes. Plus all the puzzle elements.

So I guess my vote is for RTS/TPS/Puzzle hybrid.

Actually a possible drawback: for anyone who got Pikmin 3 and hadn't played the previous games, did it feel too overwhelming? My experience was from the perspective of already knowing all the basics and just having to learn the new mechanics, but I do think Pikmin 3 has the most going on of any game in the series because you do control three captains and the battle mechanics are actually a lot deeper plus gathering fruit to manage your time. I guess I could see how that might be a lot to get a handle of, especially for younger players or people who aren't used to that kind of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, in NSMBU I just found the warp from world 4 to 6 (accidentally, I got to the third star coin and secret exit while just trying to go fast). I love the bonesnake cameo. I would play a NSMB game that was just twenty bonesnake levels.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pikmin 3 was the first full Pikmin game I played and I never beat it. I absolute fall over myself in love with the art and design. The whole "adventuring in your garden" thing is perfect. I also generally enjoy controlling one character and having a bunch of little minions. The puzzles, multiple characters to control, and limits all really put me off. If it was more open and mostly about collecting things and fighting I would be much more into it. It's certainly a great game but it's definitely scratching a very specific itch.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Narcissus1916 posted:

Kind've excited to check out Wind Waker HD though, not gonna lie. Skyward Sword's controls never clicked for me, not sure if my sensor bar was out of whack or if I just wasn't playing it "Right.", but I was constantly having to recenter the controls every few minutes after it misread several slashes. I died eight times in a row in the first dungeon on one enemy alone, all because a goddamn specific slash manoeuvre wouldn't work quickly enough. Might try it again, if I ever so gingerly come back to the zelda franchise.

I hope you weren't frantically waving your arms around trying to get diagonal cuts

the gameplay is pretty much wrist motion. You can be the fattest, most immovable goon and beat SS clean

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think the number one biggest issue with SS' controls is the ways enemies respond to your sword position. Even with your wrist, it's intuitive to hold your sword left and then swing right. The problem is, this is completely the wrong thing to do. What you actually want to do is hold your sword, say, up and flick the remote right from the up position. This causes the enemy to block up, but you to swing right.

I absolutely love Skyward Sword's controls, to the point that I legitimately wish more Zelda games would use it. But that single unintuitive problem I think accounts for the majority of peoples' issues with the controls. I shocked myself on the electric sword wielding bokoblins over and over until I figured out that piece of nonsense.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

CatsPajamas posted:

Actually a possible drawback: for anyone who got Pikmin 3 and hadn't played the previous games, did it feel too overwhelming? My experience was from the perspective of already knowing all the basics and just having to learn the new mechanics, but I do think Pikmin 3 has the most going on of any game in the series because you do control three captains and the battle mechanics are actually a lot deeper plus gathering fruit to manage your time. I guess I could see how that might be a lot to get a handle of, especially for younger players or people who aren't used to that kind of gameplay.
Yeah, I was thinking that as well. Here's what the list of negative aspects from P3 currently looks like:

(-)Plausible Problems: Short, especially compared to Pikmin 2. Significantly fewer boss encounters, collectibles, and areas to explore (with the removal of multi-level caves). Lacks a lot of the flavor text that 2 had - specifically, the entirety of the Piklopedia. Maneuvering Pikmin using the C-Stick has been removed, which can make certain tasks a little more slow or less accurate than in previous games. People new to the series may find themselves running into awkward breaks in the game's pace due to the game's 12-minute days. People uninterested in RTS games may find themselves put off by the fact that Pikmin 3 always runs on a timer, and may find the pace of battles (throw/charge pikmin, call them back) to be more tedious than anything else. As the game has such a variety of mechanics, it can be overwhelming for new players, which also means that the multiplayer can't be enjoyed by everyone right off the bat. This is compounded by the fact that the multiplayer lacks an online mode. Finally, puzzle elements may feel out of place or unusually slow and plodding to some players, especially because Pikmin 3 has a greater puzzle emphasis than either of its predecessors.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Jsor posted:

I think the number one biggest issue with SS' controls is the ways enemies respond to your sword position. Even with your wrist, it's intuitive to hold your sword left and then swing right. The problem is, this is completely the wrong thing to do. What you actually want to do is hold your sword, say, up and flick the remote right from the up position. This causes the enemy to block up, but you to swing right.

I absolutely love Skyward Sword's controls, to the point that I legitimately wish more Zelda games would use it. But that single unintuitive problem I think accounts for the majority of peoples' issues with the controls. I shocked myself on the electric sword wielding bokoblins over and over until I figured out that piece of nonsense.

Ooooh my god, are you serious, that's how it's supposed to work? Now I feel like an idiot.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I played the first pikmin, but not pikmin 2, and I think pikmin 3 is perfectly swell

solarbeam
Nov 29, 2005
I have to say, I've recently purchased a PS4 to go with my a Wii U and I think it's a fantastic combo. Playing Super Mario 3D world and then switching over to the The Last of Us (I've never played the PS3 version) is pretty fwiggen sweet, and it's giving me flashbacks of like the GameCube and Playstation 2 era. This is good.

And Smash Bros U is coming out near Christmas? And then there's these crazy PS4 games coming out later this year and more in 2015? It's a good time to game

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I hated SS's controls and I (kinda) had a grasp on how they actually worked. It just seemed really pointless. Even if I did have a firm grasp on the swordplay, it didn't actually make it a more fun Zelda experience.

Compare it to A Link Between Worlds, where fighting consisted of "mash the button until bad guy dies," but that game was so much better it's not even funny.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

solarbeam posted:

I have to say, I've recently purchased a PS4 to go with my a Wii U and I think it's a fantastic combo. Playing Super Mario 3D world and then switching over to the The Last of Us (I've never played the PS3 version) is pretty fwiggen sweet, and it's giving me flashbacks of like the GameCube and Playstation 2 era. This is good.

And Smash Bros U is coming out near Christmas? And then there's these crazy PS4 games coming out later this year and more in 2015? It's a good time to game

PS4/Wii U is my favorite gaming combo ever. It's perfect. Between them I have every kind of game I could possibly want.

Not gonna lie though I couldn't go without a 3DS either.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

PS4/Wii U is my favorite gaming combo ever. It's perfect. Between them I have every kind of game I could possibly want.

Not gonna lie though I couldn't go without a 3DS either.

this right here is the combo of good game havers

been playing the poo poo out of TLOU multiplayer, Kirby Triple Deluxe, and DKC:TF recently, looking forward to finally playing Diablo III on Tuesday

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Pikmin 3 was the first full Pikmin game I played and I never beat it. I absolute fall over myself in love with the art and design. The whole "adventuring in your garden" thing is perfect. I also generally enjoy controlling one character and having a bunch of little minions. The puzzles, multiple characters to control, and limits all really put me off. If it was more open and mostly about collecting things and fighting I would be much more into it. It's certainly a great game but it's definitely scratching a very specific itch.

If Pikmin 2 ever gets re-released (or if you have a Gamecube) you should definitely pick up Pikmin 2. No time limit and I'd say it's not as complex as Pikmin 3 so it sounds right up your alley.

Ultigonio posted:

Yeah, I was thinking that as well. Here's what the list of negative aspects from P3 currently looks like:

(-)Plausible Problems: Short, especially compared to Pikmin 2. Significantly fewer boss encounters, collectibles, and areas to explore (with the removal of multi-level caves). Lacks a lot of the flavor text that 2 had - specifically, the entirety of the Piklopedia. Maneuvering Pikmin using the C-Stick has been removed, which can make certain tasks a little more slow or less accurate than in previous games. People new to the series may find themselves running into awkward breaks in the game's pace due to the game's 12-minute days. People uninterested in RTS games may find themselves put off by the fact that Pikmin 3 always runs on a timer, and may find the pace of battles (throw/charge pikmin, call them back) to be more tedious than anything else. As the game has such a variety of mechanics, it can be overwhelming for new players, which also means that the multiplayer can't be enjoyed by everyone right off the bat. This is compounded by the fact that the multiplayer lacks an online mode. Finally, puzzle elements may feel out of place or unusually slow and plodding to some players, especially because Pikmin 3 has a greater puzzle emphasis than either of its predecessors.

Ultigonio, great to see you still hard at work on the new OP. However, I'd like to see stuff like this be more informative instead of comparative. Pointing out the 12 minute days is good, but instead of saying it's short compared to Pikmin 2 why not just say how long it is, since readers might not have played Pikmin 2 so the comparison doesn't mean anything to them. Also, it might be worthwhile to take a more matter-of-fact approach than using qualifiers - saying Pikmin 3 has fewer bosses and areas than Pikmin 2 and no Piklopedia is true, but just saying so is enough without needing "significantly" or "a lot." The latter I believe just makes things more vague since they'll mean different things to different people. I guess you need to balance the subjective opinions you get from people with the actual facts about the game.

Thanks for linking to the Google Doc again, even with the state that it's currently in. I'll look through it again when I get the chance.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

deadwing posted:

this right here is the combo of good game havers

been playing the poo poo out of TLOU multiplayer, Kirby Triple Deluxe, and DKC:TF recently, looking forward to finally playing Diablo III on Tuesday

Hehe, good thing you have that PS4 so you can play games that came out last year. :smug:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

Hehe, good thing you have that PS4 so you can play games that came out last year. :smug:

I was 360/Wii last gen so I'm perfectly cool with playing last year's games

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

RyokoTK posted:

I hated SS's controls and I (kinda) had a grasp on how they actually worked. It just seemed really pointless. Even if I did have a firm grasp on the swordplay, it didn't actually make it a more fun Zelda experience.

Compare it to A Link Between Worlds, where fighting consisted of "mash the button until bad guy dies," but that game was so much better it's not even funny.

For me Wind Waker's combat will always have that perfect balance between simplicity and depth. It's a shame it's a pretty short game.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Stan Taylor posted:

While I do not advise picking up a PS4 for TLOU, I probably have not played a "recent" game on my PC in months (excluding Shovel Knight which I only ended up with because a friend bought it for me). There are too many games in this world for me to play new ones that are not made by Nintendo.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Tried the W101 demo to be sure if I like it or not and I still don't. I like stylistic games but it's just a constant visual barrage and it was hard to tell what was going on ever and I constantly got smacked around as a result. It's not that I don't know how to block or dodge I just straight up could never tell I was being attacked by something until I was taking damage because there's so much poo poo going on screen at all times.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

CatsPajamas posted:

Thanks for linking to the Google Doc again, even with the state that it's currently in. I'll look through it again when I get the chance.
Well, shoot, if someone is actually going to take a look through it, I'll update it and remove the unnecessary comments (of which there are many). I've acknowledged your other points as well, and I hadn't really thought of it that way, I admit. My problem is that I don't dislike Pikmin 3 in any aspect except the occasional camera issues, so the only thing I'd had to go on was people who'd been disappointed by 3 after playing 2. I'll go through it and see what I can do about that.

Kaubocks posted:

Tried the W101 demo to be sure if I like it or not and I still don't. I like stylistic games but it's just a constant visual barrage and it was hard to tell what was going on ever and I constantly got smacked around as a result. It's not that I don't know how to block or dodge I just straight up could never tell I was being attacked by something until I was taking damage because there's so much poo poo going on screen at all times.
Yeah, I'm going to be making a note about W101's demo, specifically the fact that you have to play it for about 30 minutes before you have any idea what the heck you're doing. It's really unfortunate they don't explain things a little more clearly, there.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Wonderful 101 has a really counter productive demo in that it explains nothing about the game so you suck and hate it and don't buy the full version.

vvv Both the Wii U and 3DS versions. I hated both.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 19, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Wonderful 101 has a really counter productive demo in that it explains nothing about the game so you suck and hate it and don't buy the full version.

It's like the MH3U demo in that way, really.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Ultigonio posted:

Is your entire OP going to be like this? Who the hell is going to read it?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

elf help book posted:

People streaming it to get the thread closed.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

CatsPajamas posted:

Ultigonio, great to see you still hard at work on the new OP. However, I'd like to see stuff like this be more informative instead of comparative. Pointing out the 12 minute days is good, but instead of saying it's short compared to Pikmin 2 why not just say how long it is, since readers might not have played Pikmin 2 so the comparison doesn't mean anything to them. Also, it might be worthwhile to take a more matter-of-fact approach than using qualifiers - saying Pikmin 3 has fewer bosses and areas than Pikmin 2 and no Piklopedia is true, but just saying so is enough without needing "significantly" or "a lot." The latter I believe just makes things more vague since they'll mean different things to different people. I guess you need to balance the subjective opinions you get from people with the actual facts about the game.

Putting aside the fact that no-one's actually going to read an OP full of posts like that, comparing games in a quantitative fashion is rarely valuable to begin with because there are a lot of games (including Pikmin 2!) that don't really gain anything from having so much content.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, don't over explain stuff, that was a huge problem with the Steam thread OP (it explained how to start up a game for some reason.) Note down some important stuff and try to keep it concise and simple.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

elf help book posted:

Good question. Who's going to read an OP that answers their questions when they can just ask people in the thread and get answers every time?

It may be more beneficial to just make the bare minimum and get a new OP up tomorrow, then work from there.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

there are a lot of games (including Pikmin 2!) that don't really gain anything from having so much content.
While I don't disagree with you, I can assure you that many, many folks do. Length of a game may be unimportant to some people, but for others, it's a deciding factor on how much they enjoyed the experience.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Just make this your entire OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSZGeJe8ET4

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Wii U: Cute Games for Cute Gamers

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'll read your OP, in total and tell you what I thought of it. :toxx:

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
This was being talked about a few pages ago... the difference between Wii games on the Wii and Wii U.... But I was wondering. There are several games I'd rather keep in my Wii just for the gamecube controller use. Is there any great reason I would want to move to my Wii U? Or shoudl I just get an adapter and do most Wii stuff like that via my Wii? The games already on there I don't mind keeping there mostly. But if I were to get some newer games or start up Mario Galaxy 2... it'd be much easier to just play it on my Wii U since I just have that on my monitor, and wouldn't have to move my Wii from the other room.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The entire OP should just be this

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Any news on a possible NMH3?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Austrian mook posted:

Any news on a possible NMH3?

Nope. Suda is busy making Let It Die for PS4 right now and hopefully the clowns he poorly trained to make Killer is Dead aren't doing anything.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

Skyward Sword doesn't actually use the sensor bar, everything is gyro-based, including pointing.

I wish this meme would loving die because it comes up constantly and it's completely wrong. It uses the sensor bar to recalibrate pretty frequently and the game is much worse without it. I wonder how many people hated the controls because of this shoddy advice.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

elf help book posted:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

elf help book posted:

This is the most valuable post you have ever made.

Cutting down on basically everything, this is the final OP:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=20236

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You didn't put Splatoon on the upcoming releases list? You gotta be squiddin me. Ikan't believe it.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Yeah, QFG's list squidn't include 2015 releases, it looks like - I'll add them in, as well as making some other up-to-date adjustments.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Where's the pic of cosplay Mario and Yoshi?

Also the bit about a refurbished Wii U getting you coins should be amended a little bit, as there have been people who did not get coins out of it. It's pretty likely tied to whether or not the previous owner registered the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

enojy posted:

Where's the pic of cosplay Mario and Yoshi?

Also the bit about a refurbished Wii U getting you coins should be amended a little bit, as there have been people who did not get coins out of it. It's pretty likely tied to whether or not the previous owner registered the system.

It's the line used to break between sections. Every single one.

(I'll be sure to make that adjustment.)

• Locked thread