Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Does anyone have any recommended external hard drives? I was looking some up yesterday and the prices seem to vary wildly. 500gb is probably enough, but 1tb might be nice and I could throw on all my wife's music.

Also I couldn't really tell, will I need to plug these suckers in or will they draw power from the Wii? Finally I suppose black will be best since my WiiU will be black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It annoys me that it would be drawing power even when not in use however. My god drat cable box does enough of that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

limaCAT posted:

Sony: "WiiU isn't powerful enough to make helicopters fly while blasting people with dubstep".

Instant winner of the gen.

vvvv
If you already have a sensor bar, aren't interested in Nintendoland and have an HD already I guess the white version is as good as the black version. Also black = fingerprints? :(

If you trade in your Wii for money off, do you have to turn in your old sensor bar or do they just mark it off?

Also curious for anyone who has both, will a sensor bar bathing your room in IR light cause a kinect to not work well?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
On the Wii whatever you put in it would create a Nintendo folder for and put everything Nintendo related in there.

I saw Amazon has a 1tb western digital, usb powered for 80 bucks today. I wanna know is that going to be able to be powered by the WiiU? The usb ports are apparently powered. I would like to get this drive and just hook it up without having to plug it into a power strip, what are the chances the USB ports on the Wii aren't powered enough?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Hamburglar posted:

Considering the original Wii was able to power a USB hard drive and it wasn't even supposed to allow them in the first place, I am sure you will be fine.

I am not sure why some people want a power switch though because the drive will only run when the Wii is out of standby mode. They do not get power when the WiiU is off or in sleep mode. If anything, I'd think hard drives that plug into a wall would use more electricity, since it's not being powered by the WiiU; a device that's already plugged in and on.

Well I'll take that as enough gospel that it will work on WiiU. Picked it up. 1TB Western Digital USB 3.0 seems like a good deal for $80.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

A good poster posted:

I shudder to think what a 1TB drive for the 360 would have cost.

Well with a 360 I would never actually need one because 250 gb with the one I bought is plenty. I'm still a little mystified why with the Deluxe WiiU model they didn't put in a bigger, less expensive SATA drive instead of the 32 gb flash memory. I guess then they'd have to have had a different form factor.

Just watched the TVii video, that looks really awesome. If they coud finagle themselves some HBO Go, Max Go, and some ESPN 3, it would be astounding.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo should shuffle the deck chairs a little. Put a kirby guy in charge of Zelda, put Aunoma on Mario, put Miyamoto on one of the side franchises like Wario he hasn't typically worked on. I love all of their creators, there's plenty of projects to work on. If they want stuff to feel a little fresher and want the creators to feel like they are doing something fresher, shuffle them around a little bit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Like those books of Stan Lee writing the origins of DC Superheroes, except not terrible in every way.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bombadilillo posted:

I didnt know this was a complaint. Isnt that what all the match adjustments are for? Turn of items and its more skill based? Whats the specific complaints?

The characters range from "useless" to "no other character can beat this character in the hands of a pro", the system randomly will make you fall down giving you less predictability that what you tell your character to do will actually happen, the number of stages that don't completely interfere in the match are very limited.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No one would. But a lot of people want one where it is optional instead of forced.

For an example of such a game see Super Smash Bros Melee.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How many systems do you think will be destroyed by the "that guy who destroys the system in front of a line of people waiting to get it so he can post it on youtube" brigade?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, but you know it will happen. It's a really loving weird custom.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo updated their website with release dates. Exactly 22 games will be available on Launch Day, including Assassin's Creed 3, ZombiU. They have more listed for before the end of the year. Pikmin 3 isn't one of them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They only started that game at least thee years ago on an already developed engine. It's Nintendo, we can't expect miracles.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Might want to check Costco.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the extra ten bux this generation is due to the increased costs of making HD games. So theoretically that is a one time cost increase, that is until they start releasing 4k games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bombadilillo posted:

4k is overkill for the size of TV's, if Sony goes all in on 4k and is asking more for it then they wont get my business next gen. They may not anyway iff the WiiU can hold their own, we'll see in a year.

Some said the same about HD. Don't get me wrong, I don't really see a need for it, but then again I've never seen a 4k feed and 1080p feed side by side. Maybe if I did I would immediately take hostages until I got a 4k TV, a passport, and a helicopter.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
4K is gonna be loving sweet when everybody has nanoLED paint covering their living room walls. Now that won't be for like twenty years but it is gonna rock.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Every indicator its Sony is making the PS4 with cheaper but high quality off the shelf parts, they should be able to make a powerful and affordable machine that will be easier to port things to and from, which is good news for them, game makers(porting games will be cheaper), and other consoles(games starting on PS4 well be more likely to be ported) but might make consoles more similar than they are already, which actually could work in Nintendo's favor.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The sad thing is there's no way to see a 4k tv for comparison. Most of us will never actually see one for years.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

toxicsunset posted:

You don't really have to see it. It's math. Human Beings have a maximum resolution of sight. Unless you're talking a television that's over 10ft diagonally, from a standard viewing distance, 4k isn't going to make a difference. In fact, most TV's today, at standard viewing distances, it's impossible to perceive a difference between 720 and 1080p. Many people think they can. But they're wrong. Science!

No but you see if I put these crystals on my hdmi cable then

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
3d is pretty ready to add to video games though, I assume? Because every object and location has a literal x, y, and most importantly z coordinate in most games?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

Now I have to pick another game as my first!

Seriously WHAT THE gently caress.

What are you gonna pick, a game WITH online multiplayer? Good luck.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'll get black ops 2 if I have to. Main reason I'm getting the U is to troll people together with a good friend of mine.

If your main reason for getting something is to troll people you might want to ask yourself some tough questions about how you choose to spend your time.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What a odd thing to get hung up on.

1: I have a lot of poo poo to cover with bills and the like. I'm quite poor so getting it finished when I can is appealing to me.

2: I have a preorder at a local gamestop just down the road, why wouldn't I pay it off? They're getting my money either way so why does it matter? My gamestop is pretty cool with me so it's not like it pains me to walk in and chat with the dude behind the counter and be done with it.

Mainly that if you have limited income it's better to have that 300 on hand in case a pipe bursts or your transmission gives out or you have to go to hospital and other emergencies. If it doesn't happen you buy the U as normal. If it does happen you gotta wait. I don't know what Gamestop's cancellation policy is though, so maybe it's liquid anyway.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Eh; it's pretty normal to do around here. That and I've been planning to do this for the last few months really. Saving up just to get it all taken care of when it's ready and all that; and if I need to get any of it back I just go up and cancel; put 50 back down on my bundle and suddenly I'm back to step 1.

Yeah I'm doing the same thing but split up over a few weeks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What is there to complain about? That's a long rear end article to say "game engine compatible with Wii U". It's not like all games have to use it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I guess I'll pre-order ZombiU and Assassin's Creed 3 with my sytem, and buy Mario digitally since I'll have rewards on it and can throw Nintendo a bone. I can play AC3 and Mario on screen only for when my wife wants to watch something so that's a bonus too. AC3 does have screen only play right?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I don't think there are any known features of ACIII on Wii U yet, other than it will be pretty much the same as other versions. Given that it probably won't make much use of two screens, I would expect it to have a GamePad display mdoe.

It will have weapon selection on the pad, but I figure they would let you do screen only and just pause if you need to switch weapons as per normal if you want to do it that way.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah Nintendo has this weird attitude of "trust us, it will be comparable. It's not worth talking about online, it would be like talking about breathing air. Trust me, you'll have air". But the fact is they have done nothing to earn that trust and companies who have, still go into great detail about their online systems.

They act like even providing such information would be against their marketing strategy. No one is asking for a press conference that gits over everything in painstaking detail, just a few clarifying press releases with a couple of screen shots would be fine.

My bet would be NOA is butting heads with Nintendo, Ltd as much or more over this as western press is butting heads with NOA. You can see the frustrations on their face sometimes about what they are not allowed to say.

greatn fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 20, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Companies with dev kits know exactly what they can do. It's only potential buyers who don't know.

That said, I completely agree Nintendo should be 100 per cent open and be ready to educate everyone on everything Wii U related.

Kotaku had an interview (or posted one) with the Tekken lead developer and he said he had no idea how the online infrastructure worked. His game has online. That could be a mistranslation, though, or him taking a question o literally and just not being a net code guy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Chaltab posted:

We know the OS can do video calls, so there's certainly software present for voice chat. All Nintendo really needs to do is make it Friends Only or With Strangers depending on the ESRB rating of the game in question.

You mean dependant on user setting, I hope. Every online game has disclaimer online interactions not rated by esrb.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
His complaints sound valid if true. The weight of the 360 controller is much better than the PS3 one. I do like to feel the rumble too. Maybe he was low on battery. I don't really plan on getting a classic pro because I would hope I can just use the gamepad for anything I want.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think I'll play a lot of games on tablet when my wife is home, just so she can watch whatever. I think I'll be able to get away with a lot more gaming not having to monopolize the tv.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I can't believe by the way, that every game I am preordering is Ubisoft. Rayman, ZombiU, and Assassin's Creed 3. I wasn't interested in Rayman, ironically, until the news you don't control Rayman that turned everyone else off. The game looked way too frenetic for me and too busy, and not something you explore, but the revelation that you actually are effecting the stage while Rayman does stuff makes it more of a puzzle game where you come up with solutions to obstacles, which is a lot more up my alley.

By the way I read Ninja Garden has online co-op, which is exclusive to the Wii U version. Not something I'm interested in because I don't like ultra violence, but showing there is some online multiplayer from the get go (just not from Nintendo).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, a lot of game concepts depend on the multiple viewing screens. I think every game that didn't, or is a port, absolutely should use gamepad play.

You can't watch live tv on the pad because it is actually only functioning as a remote. Hulu, Amazon, netflix are streaming to the console so can stream to the gamepad.

Two things Nintendo needs to do: get ESPN3. Part Rockstar whatever bribe they need to bring GTA5 over, though driving games will be hampered by a lack of analog acceleration.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Man I'm glad I just work on webcode, efficiency, database, and automation stuff. I just hit compile. I will never have to ask about processor functions.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have an LG which is a very common brand so I have to assume it will have the IR signature. Switching inputs is a two step process though, no single button does it. You bring up menu and scroll through. So I don't know if their TVii software will be sophisticated enough for that. But I don't mind doing that manually if I have to.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I will either be turning that off or not touching the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So I am having trouble telling exactly what is going on in that game. Is it geometry wars inside a colon? Also, is the weird squeaky noise coming from that game or another nearby booth?

• Locked thread