Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

drat you Nintendo marketing...

BTW, although unconfirmed, its highly likely that both Assassin's Creed III and Arkham City will be launch titles... and is there a date for Lego City Undercover? It's Nintendo published and they were pimping it pretty hard at Thursday's conference.

Liku posted:

Has there been any information on how downloads from the Wii will be transferred over to the Wii U? Is it going to be something retarded like having to set up a transfer over WiFi with both consoles running at the same time?

They've been quoted as saying that it'll be similar to the DS/3DS transfer system, so... yes.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have to say I didn't think Nintendo would sell me on this after the Wii but exclusive Platinum games, including an Exclusive Bayonetta 2? That's really unexpected and something that definitely changed my mind about the system.

On the other hand I'm worried that this will end up exactly like the Wii - a stopgap that will be largely ignored a couple of years after the new Sony/MS systems launch.

You are confusing the Wii with the Dreamcast.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If I can ask; what's the appeal to the series? Me and a friend tried the one on the wii and the intro turned the two of us off because the tutorial was boring as all hell. I feel like we missed something but just wanting to be sure.

I'm with you, so don't think you're alone. My friends and I bought the PS2 original thinking it would be a good follow-up to PSO and what we were greeted with was a slow, lumbering slog that never seemed to get any better.

I have fingers crossed that Sega comes to their senses and releases PSO2 on Wii U.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Falls Down Stairs posted:

This is a startlingly good looking launch line-up. I likely won't buy a Wii U at launch (I never do for new consoles) but if I did I don't think I'd quite be aching for games to play on it, which is a little surprising.

It's the best launch since the Dreamcast, a console which also launched before its competition to tentative fanfare based on its predecessor's (be them real or merely perceived) failings.

:ohdear:

I adore the Dreamcast and I'm already liking what I'm seeing from the Wii U... damnit Nintendo, do not repeat history for me!

vvv I know full well that I'm being silly! Still sad about DC, though :( vvv

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 16, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

SubNat posted:

So, any chance that it will be possible to purchase games online and download them to this thing? The expandable via an external HDD kinda makes it lean that way, but it would be their first console to do so, right?

Checking the Wiiware and DSiware stuff, it's either classic / emulator games, or smaller independent titles there, and DLC on the DSi.

The OP provided a nice FAQ which has the answer to this question...

quote:

What about its eShop?
The Wii U will have its own eShop. All of Nintendo's games will be available on it, and all other publishers will have this option. Details about account systems are still unknown.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Seaniqua posted:

The only thing I ever preordered at Best Buy was Skyward Sword, and that worked out fine. I'm concerned with this one, though. I asked the girl at Best Buy if they will get a set amount of Wii U's that they're allowed to preorder and she said no. This makes it sound to me that my Best Buy preorder doesn't really guarantee me a Wii U on the release day. Am I going to end up waiting in line at midnight for this thing?

You will likely have to line up and wait to ensure that they actually give your console to you... and that they give you the right version [Basic or Deluxe] since more than likely they will gently caress this up.

In the past, I have personally seen Best Buy gently caress up on determining whether or not a person pre-ordered a Rock Band bundle or the stand alone disc, and then take forever to figure out what they actually put the person down for... and then of course they didn't have enough of the bundle to satisfy all the people who ordered them and it was pretty miserable all around.

It's going to be annoying, but if you want it to only be mildly annoying (as in you actually go home with what you ordered) you're going to have to line up and wait on release day.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Maybe he's actually talking about the Saturn and Dreamcast.

Except neither had 'Mom games" or life support... they were hardcore till the day they died.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Bombadilillo posted:

What the hell is a "mom game" anyway?

I'm assuming he's talking about things like this:

Or the "Mama" games.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

[edit] I misread... sorry.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 17, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Some might say, "Oh, Sony can take it" but they really can't. There was tons of talk about Sony's losses and how having hardware that is several hundred dollars of a loss is not a viable system for them anymore. So the question is, can Sony afford a huge hardware leap and can publishers afford to make the games and potentially lose on them at $60 a pop?

Does Sony make money on Vita system sales or are they selling it at a loss? Seems like it's something that is hemorrhaging them money from all comments I see about it on forums and in the gaming press.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I just want to point out that this writer is either, a, super hardcore, or b, wildly out of touch...

quote:

Vita hit the stores earlier this year, the latest in a line of mobile gaming gadgets in the spirit of Nintendo’s Game Boy and Atari’s Lynx, but some analysts have questioned whether there is room for such a device in a market increasingly dominated by games played on smart phones and tablets.

Why not NEC's TurboExpress or SNK's Neo Geo Pocket Color?!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Why are home console graphics so much more important to developers, publishers, and the consumer when compared to portables?

For all intents and purposes a 3DS is equivalent to a Dreamcast while the Vita is somewhere between a PS2 and a PS3 (probably closer to the latter) and yet the 3DS is trouncing the Vita in terms of game support and sales.

Has there ever been a good explanation as to why graphics matter less, seemingly for all involved, on portables?

[edit] And this can be traced back forever...

GB vs. Lynx
GB vs. Game Gear
GB vs. TurboExpress
GB vs. Neo Geo Pocket
GB vs. Wonder Swan
GBC vs. NGPC
GBC vs. WS Color/Crystal
GBA vs. N-Gage
DS vs. PSP

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 17, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Lizard Bastard posted:

Without getting into anayltics, let me put it this way: Vita ain't got no games yo.

Your answer, it doesn't have games, only explains why consumers aren't buying the system.

But why doesn't it have games? If developers and publishers flock to consoles that have better processing power, then the Vita should be overflowing with content... and then, seemingly, people would love the Vita!

However, that's not happening and no one knows why...

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

NTT posted:

Valve is pretty much the only AAA company nowadays that does whatever the gently caress they want to do.

And Blizzard :ssh:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

MinibarMatchman posted:

This dude is a loving idiot. When have brand new console games not cost 50 to 60 bucks!?

When they cost $100...

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Most people think they can tell the difference because most TVs have horrible scaling. What people are actually seeing, and it's extremely easy to see, is the blurring of text and hard edges associated with a native 1080p TV scaling up a 720p source poorly.

I have no idea what the maximum pixel density the human eye can perceive at 6 feet back is, but bad scaling stands out like a sore thumb.

For more fun on this topic, why not join the gang in the Retro Games thread where we figure out how to get 240i games running on 1080p screens without our eyeballs bursting into flames.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also just finished paying everything off, biting the bullet on Rayman just because I want to believe it'll be fantastic, and Mario because hey it's Mario. Only thing left to grab up is a wii remote recharge station.

Why would you do this? I mean, what you do with your money is your own business, but why not keep your money until it releases and pay it off then?

Not sure why you need to let GS (or whomever) make money off of you sooner than they have to.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What a odd thing to get hung up on.

1: I have a lot of poo poo to cover with bills and the like. I'm quite poor so getting it finished when I can is appealing to me.

2: I have a preorder at a local gamestop just down the road, why wouldn't I pay it off? They're getting my money either way so why does it matter? My gamestop is pretty cool with me so it's not like it pains me to walk in and chat with the dude behind the counter and be done with it.

I'm hardly "hung up" on it, but I was curious enough to ask... as greatn pointed out, it's (potentially) the difference between having money on hand and not having money on hand for whatever may come up, which for someone who's "quite poor" I would think would be somewhat important.

It's not a big deal to me either way, but I figured I'd ask about the rationale since it didn't even cross my mind to pay more than the minimum... and I figure others would share this sentiment considering many were commenting about the fact that Wal-Mart (and maybe Best Buy as well?) charged their card the full amount from the outset.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

The Sixaxis was gross and felt like a 3rd party knockoff controller, so if correct it's not the usual Kotaku complainews.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

proddo posted:

Yeah this has always bugged me.

I'm pretty skeptical of the whole Wii U though, I think it's gonna be another 3DS.

3DS is doing super well, so...

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

People don't wanna buy from the 3DS eShop because a) digital retail games sell for RRP and never go down in price, and b) no proper account system (yet). The digital code option was supposed to allow for more flexible prices but, like I said, it's not happening.

Oh come on... NSMB2 has been out for a month and it's the first simultanious digital/retail game. You have no basis for any assumption that Nintendo will not have price promotions for their eShop games in the future. Heck, this summer just had weekly discounts on various Mario games leading up to the release of NSMB2.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Vaerai Archon posted:

To be fair, games on steam usualy go on a sale after a month. So there is sort of a precedent for sales happening for digital downloads.

Steam, and digital PC games in general, is not comparable to closed systems like PSN/XBLA/eShop.

Both PSN and XBLA have weekly/monthly deals on items that are further discounted if you happen to subscribe to their "premium" services... this seems similar to what could happen with the Wii U, especially since they've already established a discount system in which Deluxe owners will get additional discounts, a-la PS+ or XBL Gold, only better because it applies to everything.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Suaimhneas posted:

Can you explain why these are not comparable? I don't know what you mean by "a closed system" here. As far as I can see Steam is just the superior service

You can buy the same digital, Steam-activated version a game from a dozen different places: Steam itself, Amazon, Gamefly, Green Man Gaming, Gamer's Gate, and on and on.

You can get the digital version of, let's say Gungrave Overdose, from one source: directly from PSN.

So what I'm getting at is that Steam is one of many storefronts for games that utilize their particular flavor of DRM. PSN/XBLA/eShop are all the only sources when it comes to getting games on their particular systems.

quote:

and if Nintendo just perpetuate this "get stuff "cheaper" but only if you pay an ongoing subscription" thing then it'll be a huge disappointment.

Sony is doing this as we speak, except they also offer some of their games for free as long as you maintain your subscription. It seems to be working out well for them, and I'm sure that a similar model would work great for Nintendo.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Suaimhneas posted:

and if Nintendo just perpetuate this "get stuff "cheaper" but only if you pay an ongoing subscription" thing then it'll be a huge disappointment.

Not that it's Wii U related, but PSN just announced their intention to do exactly this:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/psn-to-offer-retail-games-cheaper-on-day-one/4386/

People seem pretty excited, so I could see people subscribing to Nintendo's premium service for Day 1 discounts and being just fine with it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

big mean giraffe posted:

They've been around longer than just this generation.

Indeed...

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Almost Smart posted:

Oh Dreamcast controller :allears: Could you have been designed any worse?

Yes...

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Wikipedia Brown posted:

It looks stupid, but there are far worse controllers out there in terms of function and ergonomics.

Come on...

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Wikipedia Brown posted:

That thing is awesome.

wu tang wu tang wu tang wu tang

The finest controller ever produced.

You'll be glad/horrified to know that 29 people have purchased this controller recently.

:suicide:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Fatal posted:

You think those are crazy, wait till you see the next thing coming from Nintendo:

Not wide enough...

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

DoctorWhat posted:

I want that. You can balance it on your lap. If I could get some kludgey thing going to use it with a computer as a keyboard AND a gamepad, it would be the best invention EVER. No joke.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gamecube-Co...=item3a7624be04

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

DoctorWhat posted:

I know THOSE exist but I doubt it supports they keyboard portion.

PLEASE TELL ME I'M WRONG AND IT DOES

I can't confirm/deny that the keyboard function works with one of those, but I have a USB to GCN adapter that I used to connect a USB keyboard to my GCN, so I would guess that the reverse would be true as well...

IIRC, the ASCII keyboard controller has two plugs, one for the controller buttons and one for the keyboard section, so it would seem like it would have a good chance of working.

Would be nice if someone who had both could confirm this, though.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Vaerai Archon posted:

The VMU screen wasn't even used by most games. You got a title screen at most.

He was being factitious... remind yourself what thread you're posting in :ssh:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

http://www.develop-online.net/news/42139/MiiVerse-is-Wii-Us-killer-app-says-Fils-Aime

*gulp*

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

greatn posted:

Back in 2006-2007, yeah.

In MH, you have direct, 1:1 control over your character. In WoW (and pretty much every other MMO), you have cool downs for every action you perform.

They are nothing alike.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Makes me wish PSO2 was getting a WiiU port to follow in the footsteps of PSOE1&2 on GCN.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Please use this.

scottus posted:

Also, what's the pricing on the Pro controller?

$49.99

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Add to OP, please:

You EUs are getting the best possible bundle.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Holy poo poo that's awesome.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

plasticbugs posted:

Newegg has a deal right now on game preorders: $12 off games priced $49.99 or above.

I just picked up Rayman Legends for $50 (including CA taxes). Might be worth checking out. Right now, that includes all the Wii-U titles they have listed and I hear that the discount works on the Pro Controller, too.

Promo code is: EMCJNJD242 - You can use it once per order. Shipping is free.

Thanks for this... grabbed the Pro controller, ZombiU, and NSMBU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Xenoblade has some pretty dumb achievements like, "You just walked into a common area of a new town! Here's some XP!"

Lots of games give XP for discovering new areas... Borderlands, WoW, etc.

• Locked thread