Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Ordered a refurbished Wii U last night. Today I picked up ZombiU (BB $10 deal), Mario 3D World, and Mario Kart 8. Got Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 for $75 by using price match with Walmart at Target and taking advantage of the $15 off games over 39.99 when you preorder select games for $1. For example, price matched Mario 3D World for $49.86 + $1 Smash preorder (you don't have to actually buy the game) - $15 for weekly ad deal + tax = $37.97. I think I can even return the preorder card if I really felt like it.

So for $300 I'm getting a Wii U Deluxe, Nintendoland, ZombiU, 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and also a free game once I register Mario Kart. That's pretty awesome.

What should I get for my free game? I'm thinking Pikmin 3, but I'm not sure. If it was NSMB U + Luigi then I'd probably get that, but it's just the base game I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Have Wonderful 101 and Tropical Freeze been on sale in the past?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Should I get a screen protector for the gamepad?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Why is Netflix on the Wii U worse than on the Wii?

On the Wii I can have different profiles to pick from, but I'm not seeing that on the Wii U app.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Xexre posted:

So I'm contemplating picking up a WiiU this weekend but I'm a little (a lot) WiiU stupid. We'll most likely end up getting MK8, Smash Bros, and Zeldas and Marios of all flavors. I was thinking of just getting the Pro controllers as that's the controller format most of my friends will be used to. I don't have any Wii stuff and don't expect to download any Wii stuff, but aside from that, is there anything I'll be missing out on if I don't get the standard WiiU + Nunchuck combo or can I just go hog wild with Pro controllers?

For note, I did review the OP and the charts, I just want to make sure there are some features in any current or future titles that rely specifically on the nunchuck combo controller.

You still need wiimotes to plug the pro controllers into

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod150198

$20 wii remote plus and nunchuk

Is there a difference in Wii U pro controllers and Wii pro controllers?

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 14, 2014

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Can you still use the wii pro controller with wii remote with the Wii U? Or is my wii pro controller just now my permanent PC emulator controller?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Fuuuuck. $50 for the Wii U pro? Any place that has them cheaper?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

Play-Asia sells (Japanese SKU) controllers for $25. Controllers are region free. And if you're gonna order them that way, you could look into getting the extended battery for the gamepad since Nintendo's online store stopped selling them a while ago.

Was just checking that out. Still comes to about $40 with shipping.

Amazon has a couple other sellers for the Japanese version where it comes out a bit cheaper. Still going to take a while to get to you though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B009AP23NI/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1402756205&sr=8-4

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 14, 2014

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Guys. Pikmin 3 is pretty awesome.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Link's Grandmother from Wind Waker confirmed in Hyrule Warriors as a playable character

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I don't want another Paper Mario, I want another Super Mario RPG.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Moriatti posted:

But that is exactly what Paper Mario is?

Paper Mario does not play like Super Mario RPG

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
White Wii U Pro controllers are on sale for $30 for the week starting next Sunday at Best Buy.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Yeah, not sure if I'll pick up just 1 or get 2.

Also, the eBay guy with the $15 hi capacity gamepad batteries is back. Mine came and I thought it was bad, but I just unplugged it and plugged it back in and it's being recognized just fine now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extended-Ba...=item4acef70ee5

Comes with the tiny screwdriver needed as well.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 13, 2014

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

The Operative posted:

Thanks! Can anyone vouch for the one in that eBay listing? I've had some bad luck with third party batteries in the past.

I bought that exact item from that seller. The battery is great and I can't think of any reason why it's not worth the $15. It's fantastic and you should buy it.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Why paint it?

I also picked up 2 of them during the sale. Like, the 3DS B1G1 deal this was certainly more like a clearance sale as the pickings were really slim. I got the only 2 pro controllers they had on the floor. They didn't even have any black ones to sell and the white ones I found were both on a peg hook with the tag for the black controller. For 3DS games they only had 1 Bravely Default, 2 Mario Golf, 2 ALBW, 1 Yoshi, a bunch of Mario Party and I didn't see any copies of Kirby or Pokemon.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I hope people bought up the black ones expecting a price fix today

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
So it's not just me with the Wii U Pro feeling strange. I was going to mainly use the 2nd one I got for my PC, but I like the Wii Pro controller I have better for playing older games.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yo US dudes, Kmart is doing some sort of points-back deal with Wii U preorders where you can get two for ~$100 and then get $40 off in points, or something?

http://slickdeals.net/f/7078082-2x-wii-u-games-pre-order-41-shop-your-way-points-105-free-shipping

Eligible games include pretty much every big upcoming Wii U game (Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors, Kirby Rainbow Curse, Mario Party 10, Smash, Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Yoshi's Wooly World) plus a few other games for other platforms.

edit: I was reading the deal wrong. It's actually amazing.

But I just tried it and it didn't recognize the coupon code anymore.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 22, 2014

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
That's crazy talk. Prime Trilogy with wiimote controls is the greatest. I have no idea how you could play without it set on advanced though. Non-advanced is loving terrible.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Why not just buy a Wii U?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Just got to World 4 in 3D World so I went through the first pipe to the observation spot where the Mii there quoted Walsh from the first episode of Firefly. "Yes, this is a fertile land. This is a fertile land and we will thrive. We will call it... This Land."

Because I'm playing on the gamepad I have Netflix up on the TV and I was watching the first episode of Firefly.

Forget about Kinect. Nintendo knows too much and the Miiverse is run by the NSA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Finished Shovel Knight last night. Great game. People should buy it.

• Locked thread