Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Welp, put my money where my mouth is. Going all-in on Wii U deluxe and ZombiU. You win Nintendo.

japtor posted:

Probably io_burn:

Holy gently caress, that thing about children in the hospital is abhorrent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I think FOX Engine is something that's used for this generation but can be taken into the next. It's no Square-Enix tech demo though. That thing was nuts.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Chronojam posted:

It's a good idea! You're out getting herbs and GREAT JAGGI OHSHIT. One thing I like about Monster Hunter is that player skill (versus character skill/stats/equipment) is a huge part of it. Tutorial process should reflect that.

I really like that idea too. It's very Soulsian in nature, where if you can prove you're on a higher level than the tutorials then it can immediately skip you ahead or reward you in some way.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

What are you guy's looking at getting at launch?

NSMBU, ZombiU, Nintendo Land from the bundle, and I just ordered copies of Xenoblade and The Last Story which I'm keeping unopened until I get mine. I'll probably pre-order Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate when I pick it up.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I'll get the deluxe console with Nintendo Land as pack-in, and use the premium promotion to download Black Ops II and New Super Mario Bros. U.

I totally forgot about this. I like that Nintendo is following suit to demand simultaneous digital/physical releases of games, because one of my favorite things about the Vita was being able to digitally purchase those "little" games like Lumines so you could just jump in and play without swapping carts. I'm probably going to wind up blowing a ton of money on digital Wii U stuff in this environment.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Cherokee Jack posted:

In :canada: we have EB Games instead of Game Stop (though it's the same company) so what are my chances of pre-ordering a non-deluxe console after work tomorrow? Okay, good, or poo poo-out-of-luck? I wouldn't mind having the deluxe version but my wife likes the white one more and would rather save the money and put it towards another game. Also with EB/GS do you have to pay the full pre-order in advance or just a percentage?

I'm not even a huge Nintendo fan, I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the original NES (I do have a DS Lite and DSi) but there's something about the Wii U that really appeals to me.

I just pre-ordered mine today from EB Games and things might be good for you. I live just an hour or so north of Toronto and my local EB Games had a ton of open spots for Wii U regular. The cashier actually laughed and told me that they hadn't gotten a single regular pre-order because everyone was asking for the deluxe model! In any case, I had to put a $50 deposit down towards the console when I made my pre-order.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

If the XBox rumors wind up being true then I may just skip their next iteration. But that's assuming that they're true and you can't believe anything you hear about a next gen console until you get the truth right from the horse's mouth.

Yeah, pre-announcement console stuff can be some of the most outlandish poo poo. Anyone remember when people were saying PS3 would have "anti-used game tech" that would burn a serial code into your Blu-ray disc so it could only be recognized by that console?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

japtor posted:

Kamiya is awesome/:psyduck:

...it is in Nintendo Land after all :tinfoil:

Whoa, what the? Now that's a really drat obscure pick for Kamiya: Japanese Edo period Zelda clone.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's not really a Zelda clone, beyond being a top-down, screen-based thing. No puzzles, no items/upgrades, no real exploration, all action.

Ohhh I see now. Taking a look at a few videos, I could definitely see how he could translate that sort of thing to a modern gameplay style. Of course, all I can think of is Devil May Cry meets Ninja Gaiden.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

japtor posted:

Romance of the Three Kings 12 trailer:
http://nintendoeverything.com/99098/romance-of-the-three-kingdoms-xii-wii-u-trailer/

(and apparently I completely missed that that and Fist of the North Star 2 were announced during the Japanese Nintendo Direct last Thursday)

I got really excited when I saw this, thinking it would be coming overseas like Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper or Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 (I think) but was disappointed to see it's still Japan-only like the PS3 release :(

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

limaCAT posted:

Orochi is in the 3DS EU stream as Launch Window title.

edit for clarity:
Orochi is in the final printout made in 4pt characters on the tiny 3DS screen in the 3DS E-Shop EU stream at 40':28''

Yes, that's what I was saying. Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper even has a US/EU version trailer in the OP. What I was saying was that I was hoping RotK 12 was coming stateside like it and (possibly) FotNS: Ken's Rage 2.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The achievement system in Uplay is typically linked to pre-existing achievements, so it's more like a third party reward system rather than a whole new internal achievement list that doesn't register to your NN/PSN/XBLA account. So like in Assassin's Creed: Whatever, you could get an achievement when you beat the game and when you connect to Uplay it would give you a few points because that achievement was a Uplay one.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So I think this is new: Nintendo will replace any broken Wii U GamePad for a currently undisclosed amount.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The Dark Souls of hardcore game console buying.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Chaltab posted:

You know, I'm not mad at Sony making the game, but it's pretty much exactly like Smash Bros except with Sony characters. The method of getting kills is different, but the pacing is functionally similar.

The standard Smash kill method is actually in the game according to some people who've played it at conventions, which baffles me because no one wants to play Super Meter: The Game. Why not make it the default option?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

zenintrude posted:

When they cost $100...

God, don't loving remind me. I was in Canada and it cost me $120 plus tax.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

Sony aiming for 4k would mean a repeat of the PS3's fiasco of a launch. It took years and a lot of humble pie for them to turn that platform around and make it an appropriate value proposition to consumers, so I can't see them making the same mistake twice.

Sony's pretty much abandoned going all future-tech on their platforms. Vita was entirely built with off the shelf parts.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Louisgod posted:

There was an article I read yesterday that made that exact comparison in that the difficulty is soul crushigly similar to Dark Souls.

Yeah, I read an article like that too and became very excited to play it. If anyone else would like to check it out, "ZombiU hands-on: the Dark Souls of zombie games"

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yes, thank you. The game has competitive multiplayer there's no excuse for no online component. gently caress.

Yeah that really disappoints me. This definitely sounds like the kind of thing I'd love to screw around with in a direct fashion online. Wii U supports DLC, right? Maybe they could update it with that? Some games lately have been getting online play updates (i.e. Scott Pilgrim, Double Dragon Neon)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Does Classic Controller Pro have any better heft to it? Because I have a regular CC and I'd prefer to grab a CCP for my copies of Xenoblade and Last Story when the Wii U drops.

Unrelated topic but MAN was Xenoblade hard to find. I had to drive out like 2 hours to some EB Games in the middle of nowhere to buy it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Has Nintendo said anything about localizing DQ10? This looks like something I'd love to play on Wii U but they were really quiet about the Wii version.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

If the WiiU version of DQX supports running on just the gamepad, then wouldn't that make it, in a limited sense, the first handheld MMO? I guess there are some that run in browsers that can be played on a smartphone, though.

iOS has had that Order and Chaos WoW clone for awhile now.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Steel Battalion's controller was integral to the experience. Who the hell at Capcom thought they should go from 48 buttons to 0? At least when I die in the original or in Line of Contact, I know it was my fault and not the game interpreting Reload as Raise Blast Shield.

edit: Wait the 360 controller was still a part of Heavy Armor, so like 48 to 16 or something with a hell of a lot of bad motion control.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 23, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Iacen posted:

It's hardly surprising, but it still sucks that the Wii U is region locked. Way to be square, Nintendo :(

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo :negative:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm taking a look at the Nintendo Network page on Wikipedia and it sounds like there might be some hope?

Apparently NN on Wii U allows for up to 12 accounts per system? So if the Wii U method of swapping active accounts is similar to the PS3/360 way then perhaps a physical media region lock won't be too obstructive. The OP mentions that Nintendo will be offering simultaneous digital and physical distribution options on all their Wii U games, and that the offer extends to third parties who wish to join in. It probably wont reach Vita levels of digital/physical parity but you could probably get some decent analog to Xbox Live Games on Demand going?

Of course, this is assuming (and I'm kind of reaching here) that digital titles don't have the same lock that physical ones do. Just asking because I have no frame of reference, but was there any kind of lock on Nintendo's WiiWare/3DS eShop titles? I'm not finding anything on Wikipedia.

vvv Well poo poo!

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 24, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Gamefly is your friend in this situation. Catch up on games you missed. Keep the ones that you love!

I'd love to use Gamefly to play games but they don't offer the service in Canada :(

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

CrushedB posted:

So surprise there's a Nintendo Direct for both NCL and NOA coming in 2 hours: https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/251480427351638016

They're getting dangerously close to announcing these after they actually happen.

Jesus, Nintendo. Cutting it close there?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So for anyone considering Darksiders 2 Wii U, here's what the bonus content for that version is.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

FlyingCheese posted:

Loop the cable around the back of the gamepad instead of the front. Most headphones have 3+ feet of cable which is more than enough for that, I think.

Still dumb though.

Does the Gamepad have like a little slot or groove on the back to support that, ala Dreamcast?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I wouldn't be all that surprised if it turned out like some kind of Apple "oh we MIGHT have one in the back!" and it turns out they have like 5 full boxes of them.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

GOD I WANT THIS SO loving BAD. Why is this not a launch title in the West!?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It's an update to Tri that includes all the Tri G 3DS content.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm not entirely sure because I read most of Japan's gaming blogs (i.e. JIN, Hachima, Sinobi) through Google Translate but it looks like that Monster Hunter bundle is going to be the big one everyone's gunning for.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

Nintendo doesn't need to worry that much about people thinking the system is just the Gamepad, because people can't buy a Gamepad on its own. That issue is kind of nipped in the bud.

Yeah, that's what I figured Nintendo was really doing by not selling the Gamepad separately at launch.

edit: Though yeah it does sound legit that they don't want to sell separate Gamepads until real games that utilize two of them are out.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 7, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

When was the last time anyone tried to buy a game to play on their Wii?

I bought Xenoblade a few days after I pre-ordered my Wii U... to play when I get my Wii U :eng99:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Does NSMBU even have online play? I feel like I shouldn't even have to ask this question but looking at a few online store descriptions it gets kind of hazy with regards to online functionality.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

Judging by 3DS videos, attack speeds and attacks in general haven't changed (noticeably) from MHP3. Weapons have been rebalanced damage-wise but they're still working on the damage charts, and then they'll have to work on the translations so we can understand exactly how hard we are hitting virtual animals in the face with giant anime hammers.

A complete change list from MH Tri Wii to MH3U 3DS. All of the content updates are featured in MH3U WiiU, plus the 1080p, online play, voice chat, and so on.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Don't the developers keep basically hinting that Segata Sanshiro will be the final cast member?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, you don't need to keep the exact logo typography on these little icons, so that previous big U fits better I think.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So Nintendo apparently just announced their New York Comic-Con plans. A bunch of Wii U games are going to be playable at it, so if you plan on going to NYCC then you can check those out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Man, forget Brawl/Melee/Wii U SSB. The real question is whether or not Brawl Blog is gonna come back. That poo poo was the BEST!

• Locked thread